Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08

Something that occurred to me last night, probably long after everyone else caught on: Woot is asking us to come up with a new catch-phrase, and they'll have exclusive rights on it. You know, I like these guys. They're SMART!

Not that there wouldn't be ripoffs, but the phrase would originate right here on the Woot site. Roxors!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Webfoot08 wrote:On mine, I'm just displaying the key word in a repeating pattern, and on one, I put the classic "click here" reminder, as if people didn't know.

Ah whatever. I'll let the fuzziness go.

No I won't.

So indecisive...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Is putting this together worth potentially getting caught by my boss: "I'll try being nicer if you... Wait, no I won't."?

Or has it been done?

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
ansharp wrote:Is putting this together worth potentially getting caught by my boss: "I'll try being nicer if you... Wait, no I won't."?

Or has it been done?

No text shirt is worth it. I'm very bored with this derby already. I suppose the fact that I have a cold and have nothing to do doesn't help. Then again, I haven't liked a winning shirt enough to buy one in a few weeks so the derby is wearing on me a little.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

ansharp

Schrobblehead wrote:No text shirt is worth it. I'm very bored with this derby already. I suppose the fact that I have a cold and have nothing to do doesn't help. Then again, I haven't liked a winning shirt enough to buy one in a few weeks so the derby is wearing on me a little.

I think the first few hours will be entertaining to see what people will put on a shirt and call funny. Then I'll be bored and probably won't check it until next Thursday to see what won.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
eHalcyon wrote:No, I said "you should get them to read" and unintentionally implied that they weren't. I need to think more before I speak.

Also - your kindergarten teacher was nuts.

is ok. you were a bit overtired, i think. and I'm in full-on-oversensitive mode right now.

Webfoot, sounds like you and I were reading at the same level.

currently have 9 entries. Wheeee!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mia3mom

Schrobblehead wrote:No text shirt is worth it. I'm very bored with this derby already. I suppose the fact that I have a cold and have nothing to do doesn't help. Then again, I haven't liked a winning shirt enough to buy one in a few weeks so the derby is wearing on me a little.

agreed.

tho, this one leveled the playing field for my 10 year old.

but wow I didn't think the bowling pin would sell out. I'm hoping to get the risk shirt for my husband for father's day/his birthday (2 days apart)

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

superspryte wrote:Thanks! Ducky could also use it for Lurker, although she's no longer working near him. Were it to win (ha!) I'd send one to my high school physics teacher. He'd be surprised but I think he'd be inwardly pleased.

That's true. I wonder if he'd get it. I think so...I mean, he's not actually uneducated. He's just very, very dense. And soul-crushingly creepy.

Hai Guyez. Today is awesome awesome awesome. I spent some time last night beating myself up because I [again] collapsed into spastic stupidity all due to something nice somebody said about me. Why is it so hard for me to just accept a compliment?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Another bad idea:

mia3mom

SkekTek wrote:Another bad idea:

roflol

um, probably not great from a pg-13 perspective nor from a wife perspective.

but thank you for the great laugh

SkekTek

mia3mom wrote:roflol

um, probably not great from a pg-13 perspective nor from a wife perspective.

but thank you for the great laugh

You're welcome. Isn't that the battle? Who's on top? I'm gonna submit it, then watch it get rejected. It's funny though.

eHalcyon

mia3mom wrote:is ok. you were a bit overtired, i think. and I'm in full-on-oversensitive mode right now.

Webfoot, sounds like you and I were reading at the same level.

currently have 9 entries. Wheeee!

Yes ma'am. Still tired too.

Doesn't look like I can reschedule so I get to submit late for this derby. BAH.

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:Yes ma'am. Still tired too.

Doesn't look like I can reschedule so I get to submit late for this derby. BAH.

I'll submit them for you

Actually, I'll be submitting and running to graduation here. If the server crashes and doesn't recover by 12:30, I'm toast.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:I'll submit them for you

Actually, I'll be submitting and running to graduation here. If the server crashes and doesn't recover by 12:30, I'm toast.

I've got 20 so far.

Webfoot08

eHalcyon wrote:Ah whatever. I'll let the fuzziness go.

No I won't.

So indecisive...

Are you a Libra? We can't make up our minds for anything, and when I rush it, I make the wrong decision. These things take time.

Webfoot08

SkekTek wrote:Another bad idea:

Oh my gosh! No way, but it's funnnnneeeee!

Webfoot08

eHalcyon wrote:I've got 20 so far.

TWENTY???

I have four. Sheesh. I suddenly feel a bit developmentally disabled or something. Slow, anyway.

SkekTek

Webfoot08 wrote:TWENTY???

I have four. Sheesh. I suddenly feel a bit developmentally disabled or something. Slow, anyway.

If you assume the usual designer averages 3 designs per contest, and with an average number of designers of 100, if we go up to 10 designs per person, we're talking 1000.... yikes

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:If you assume the usual designer averages 3 designs per contest, and with an average number of designers of 100, if we go up to 10 designs per person, we're talking 1000.... yikes

THE PUCKER WINS!
THE PUCKER WINS!
THE PUCKER WINS!

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:THE PUCKER WINS!
THE PUCKER WINS!
THE PUCKER WINS!

I hope so. I want to buy one. Seriously.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight

Let go of Anger

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." --Buddha

I realize that this design probably won’t do well. I know that the Woot audience is generally looking for more fun and frivolous things on a shirt. One of the first things I thought of, though, when I found out the derby topic was “slogans” was this little bit of philosophy quoted above. I think this might be the bit of advice I’d most like to share with the world, and having it on a thousand T-shirts couldn’t hurt in spreading the message.

There are so many folks out there whose lives are dictated by the screaming, bellowing, frightened monkey-in-the-brain that is anger... either as slaves to it or as victims of another person’s rage. I used to let it have a lot of power over me as well, back in the day. It’s so easy to give in to it, as Yoda pontificated once. It brings you a rush of power that’s hard to deny... gives you strength in an argument. It can be very much justified and thus make you feel righteous in doing whatever you want while releasing your wrath. But that’s where it gets you... it obfuscates reason, clouds fairness and leads you to do things that, when you get a chance to cool off later, you occasionally regret. Sometimes for the rest of your life.

So, yeah, I know... lots of you are saying there’s no way this shirt can win when up against pithy catchphrases, absurd puns, and wacky meme references. I’m okay with that. Just thought I’d put up a slogan that means something to me. I’ll do my best to get back into the Woot mindset for next derby. Thanks for reading and thanks for taking the time to think.

kenney9226

I am LOVING how 30 minutes into the derby the leader has, like, 10 votes.

This is way out of control!

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:If you assume the usual designer averages 3 designs per contest, and with an average number of designers of 100, if we go up to 10 designs per person, we're talking 1000.... yikes

Oh em gee. This is going to be a mess.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

If you could spare a vote, I'd be soooo happy =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

kenney9226

Please click the picture, as my signature is linked to a much poorer entry.

Thank you for your consideration, and peace out this weekend!

The phone number it to a tracfone owned by a guy I know who rarely answers and never checks his messages.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

I have hopes that he rejectorator will not get me for the word "nipples". I mean... we all have them right?

PemberDucky

Staff

dekonstruct wrote:I have hopes that he rejectorator will not get me for the word "nipples". I mean... we all have them right?

I dunno. I really hope it stays. I voted for it immediately.

dekonstruct

PemberDucky wrote:I dunno. I really hope it stays. I voted for it immediately.

Thanks PemberDucky! it's got everything, ridiculously bright colors, hand drawn letters, and the word "nipple", what's not to love?

PemberDucky

Staff

dekonstruct wrote:Thanks PemberDucky! it's got everything, ridiculously bright colors, hand drawn letters, and the word "nipple", what's not to love?

I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

ansharp

Vote ready, and I have two more in the works:

That certain something:

Sorry, no enlightenment from me today:

Schrobblehead

My signature is having issues, but the links still work if you want to vote for me just because you like me. I'll completely understand if you don't (like me).

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

ansharp

I just remembered my 11-year-old sister's personal slogan: "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!"

EDIT: Oh no! My first rejection for "Je ne sais quoi"! And it wasn't meant to be dirty! I would never... I call shenanigans!

Schrobblehead

ansharp wrote:I just remembered my 11-year-old sister's personal slogan: "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!"

check cafe press first. I'm sure that's been made already.

Dekonstruct -- vacuums that your shirt got rejected. PG-13 doesn't mean what it used to mean. They do allow some swearing in PG-13. They need to start saying PG only.

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:check cafe press first. I'm sure that's been made already.

Dekonstruct -- vacuums that your shirt got rejected. PG-13 doesn't mean what it used to mean. They do allow some swearing in PG-13. They need to start saying PG only.

Seriously. I was so excited to wear that to the bars.

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:Seriously. I was so excited to wear that to the bars.

me too. lulz

dekonstruct

PemberDucky wrote:Seriously. I was so excited to wear that to the bars.

Yeah, I was a little suprised, but I decided to try another body part. This time I'm going to corrupt the human bodies' largest organ. If this doesn't work, at least I'll have a list of words I can't use for woot t-shirts:

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Please vote!

PemberDucky

Staff

dekonstruct wrote:Yeah, I was a little suprised, but I decided to try another body part. This time I'm going to corrupt the human bodies' largest organ. If this doesn't work, at least I'll have a list of words I can't use for woot t-shirts:

Well done!
I wonder if innuendo would work. Like..."mosquito bites". 'Cause hey, you really might have some mosquito bites that you need to conceal.

dekonstruct

PemberDucky wrote:Well done!
I wonder if innuendo would work. Like..."mosquito bites". 'Cause hey, you really might have some mosquito bites that you need to conceal.

I tried really hard to think of a good innuendo, and all I could think of was "raisinettes"... I 'spose if you squint real hard, perhaps skin could be an innuendo.

I'm starting to think I should have went with spleen...

ansharp

PemberDucky wrote:Well done!

I had unintentional innuendo, and it got rejected. I don't think "mosquito bites" would fly.

Am I a little bitter? Uhh, yes.