imdante


quality posts: 0 Private Messages imdante
eHalcyon wrote:First of all, there is no way that imdb has "just about every movie." There is far too much out there for imdb to have it all; they themselves note that it is a growing project that relies mostly on VOLUNTEERS to provide information. There are plenty of films, tv shows, etc. out there that are not documented on imdb, and there is definitely room for error in the information they do have. I'm not saying that imdb isn't reliable, but they themselves acknowledge the possibility of error.

I really doubt that they have the scripts of ANY movie, let alone all of them. There are probably copyright problems. I've also checked around the site and found nothing about imdb having the scripts, nor any way to read the scripts should they have them.

This statistics page shows the information they currently have. They note how many projects they have plot summaries for, how many have trivia, how many have tag lines, etc. Note that I say "projects" instead of "movies" because imdb also deals with television shows, etc. They also give us the number of projects for which they have quotes. At the time of my writing this, the number is 44,823 with quotes. This is far less than the 379,871 movies released theatrically, let alone the 1,039,447 total titles.

The statistics page doesn't even list "scripts" as something they have. I'm sorry, but I really doubt imdb has any scripts.



well there you go. Now i stand corrected. This conversation reminds me of this web comic: xkcd - Duty Calls

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
imdante wrote:well there you go. Now i stand corrected. This conversation reminds me of this web comic: xkcd - Duty Calls



I checked out the link---so true, so true. ;P

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
imdante wrote:well there you go. Now i stand corrected. This conversation reminds me of this web comic: xkcd - Duty Calls



Je m'excuse.

xkcd is great, by the way. Props to you!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

urbanbohemian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages urbanbohemian
Re: turns out Carmen was in San Diego



Now I can't get the game show theme song out of my head. I must have this shirt so I can inflict the same soundmeme upon others. Love it!

Omegagames


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Omegagames

I like this shirt, but I would have replaced the word "real" with "actual". I think it flows better. I might buy it anyway though, the message is the solid part.

Kudos man.

lalouque


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lalouque
Re: Users Cause Bugs



How did this fall out of the fog??? HOW!?!!?!!??

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Users Cause Bugs



Aww, I lost my spaghetti. =(. I was looking forward to getting this shirt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
SailorButterfly wrote:Aww, I lost my spaghetti. =(. I was looking forward to getting this shirt.



i'm sad. While i'm happy i got my design in the fog, i'm not so happy i knocked bluchez' design out to do so. wanted to knock out haxrox.

InitialSam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages InitialSam

because it isn't funny.

mlander


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlander
bluchez wrote:I think the people you refer to are just curious for an explanation from woot. Josephus has been submitting entries since early derbies (long before I was here, and going back as far as SDS has records), volunteers his time as a photochop judge, and is told "Reinstating the design is not a viable option", and a new entrant receives an entirely different treatment. If this doesn't make any sense to you, than please don't call people with valid questions trolls.



there was already an explanation from woot in this thread here

It's clear from the woot staff statement that in the past they were unwilling/unable to expend the resources necessary to reinstate a rejected design. The staff member stated that doing so involves taking valuable time out of a developers day, which it is apparent that they are now willing and able to do. I'm sure that if this happens in the future, they will have a developer reinstate the design again, but the past cannot be undone. It's an improvement to the derby process, so stop your whining and be happy that they are now able to correct mistakes instead of being resentful of the past

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
mlander wrote:there was already an explanation from woot in this thread here

It's clear from the woot staff statement that in the past they were unwilling/unable to expend the resources necessary to reinstate a rejected design. The staff member stated that doing so involves taking valuable time out of a developers day, which it is apparent that they are now willing and able to do. I'm sure that if this happens in the future, they will have a developer reinstate the design again, but the past cannot be undone. It's an improvement to the derby process, so stop your whining and be happy that they are now able to correct mistakes instead of being resentful of the past



If this was the case, there was another design in this derby that should have gotten the same treatment. But instead of reinstating the design with votes fully intact, the designer was forced to resubmit and climb the ladder again.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

jpnthr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpnthr
Re: Irony



I agree the print could be a bit smaller and perhaps a more white colored font

ArtinBastani


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArtinBastani
Re: I Just Quote Movies



This is amazing!

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
eHalcyon wrote:If this was the case, there was another design in this derby that should have gotten the same treatment. But instead of reinstating the design with votes fully intact, the designer was forced to resubmit and climb the ladder again.



Agreed 100%.

I pretty much think someone on the Woot staff made a stupid mistake in reinstating Irony, and no one on staff ha the orbs to admit it. So instead of having a mistake, we have a horrible precedent that will be affecting the derby and people's opinions on its biases until the end of time. Fantastic!

mikecx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikecx
Re: That Reminds Me...



This is the only one in the Derby i'd buy and sadly it has no chance :'(. Great job on being the only one to make a comical and good looking shirt.

mikecx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikecx
Re: Meta Slogan - works for all occasions



Lemme be the first to say, nice design, love the colors.

ratthecat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratthecat
Re: Irony


All the complaining and whining is hilarious. It's also funny that the biggest temper tantrums seem to come from people in the top ten. Me thinks they protest too much.

StoshyKills


quality posts: 0 Private Messages StoshyKills
Re: My other shirt smelled better...



I'm not going to tattle.
thats dumb.
It's not a direct design rip.

maybe I have seen the two other slogans on two different shirts, but never together.
who knows.
regardless I am just bitter because I dislike the theme for this weeks Derby.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
ratthecat wrote:All the complaining and whining is hilarious. It's also funny that the biggest temper tantrums seem to come from people in the top ten. Me thinks they protest too much.



People in the top ten = people who enter here every week. In a derby with this sheer amount of entries, it makes sense that the most active users would be most likely to get votes. It also makes sense that they'd be the most upset about a sudden change in the rules, as they've been working within these rules for 40-some derbies.

I'm not complaining because I didn't win this week- I never expected to win. But I did expect to lose to entries that followed the rules, so I'm a bit miffed that Woot was able to do the impossible to save this entry, when I've previously seen them reject the entries of people here for what they admitted were mistakes.

If Woot gave some kind of clear, coherent explanation of why this design was singled out, I think the controversy would completely dissipate. The fact that they haven't done this is troubling.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ratthecat wrote:All the complaining and whining is hilarious. It's also funny that the biggest temper tantrums seem to come from people in the top ten. Me thinks they protest too much.



It's more telling that all the defenders never enter the derbies and have no clue what the rules are.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
StoshyKills wrote:I'm not going to tattle.
thats dumb.
It's not a direct design rip.

maybe I have seen the two other slogans on two different shirts, but never together.
who knows.
regardless I am just bitter because I dislike the theme for this weeks Derby.



Yep, don't hate the playa- hate the game. As I've said before, I've never seen this before, so it's new to me. I personally love it. And it's the only fogged entry not to have controversy attached to it. Next...

Geckotek


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek
AdderXYU wrote:It's more telling that all the defenders never enter the derbies and have no clue what the rules are.



You mean the people that buy your shirts?!?!?! I think our opinion should weigh a bit heavier. Without the customer, the designers have no reason to exist. There will always be designers looking to make a buck.

I'm the one laying down my cash and not earning a dime. To heck with the designers that are complaining because they didn't earn my money. Without the Irony shirt, this would have been another week where Woot wouldn't get my money (thought last weeks sucked too.) If the "smelly" shirt made it in the top 3 (fat chance I'm thinking), I'll be buying 2.

So far I've purchased 2 shirts in the 3 weeks I've been here (not a lot, could've been more)....and I expect to buy a lot more. But if Woot caves in more to the designers......and if stupid people keep voting for shirts that suck just because they like the designers, I might have to find another place to spend my t-shirt money.

I don't care about the rules as long as shirts I want to buy go on sale. Woot is a business, I am a customer. END OF STORY.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Geckotek wrote:You mean the people that buy your shirts?!?!?! I think our opinion should weigh a bit heavier. Without the customer, the designers have no reason to exist. There will always be designers looking to make a buck.

I'm the one laying down my cash and not earning a dime. To heck with the designers that are complaining because they didn't earn my money. Without the Irony shirt, this would have been another week where Woot wouldn't get my money (thought last weeks sucked too.) If the "smelly" shirt made it in the top 3 (fat chance I'm thinking), I'll be buying 2.

So far I've purchased 2 shirts in the 3 weeks I've been here (not a lot, could've been more)....and I expect to buy a lot more. But if Woot caves in more to the designers......and if stupid people keep voting for shirts that suck just because they like the designers, I might have to find another place to spend my t-shirt money.

I don't care about the rules as long as shirts I want to buy go on sale. Woot is a business, I am a customer. END OF STORY.



You seem to think that the regular designers are also regular winners. For most designers, that isn't the case. Take bluchez, for example - I don't believe he's won yet, as deserving as many of his designs have been. Designers are customers too, with the bonus of knowing the rules of the derby. When they see something unfair, they call it out. The regular designers don't complain because they didn't win - that would be ridiculous. We all just want a fair competition.

Even if Woot had left the Irony shirt rejected, they would still have made money. If you go by votes, perhaps they might have made a little less - but you can't really tell, since a good deal of buyers don't actually go to vote (evidence: vote totals rarely exceed 1000, and in this derby they probably didn't even exceed 600, but shirts still sell upwards of 2000).

The opinion of the designers is extremely, extremely important. Why do you think Woot upped the prize money to $1000? They want to attract new talent! But when the rules are twisted and broken, that only serves to alienate designers and drive them away. In the long-run, woot makes LESS money, because those great designs are no longer being submitted to Woot. Instead, they're going to Threadless, Design By Humans, etc.

You may not care about the rules, but the designers (who, again, are ALSO CUSTOMERS) care a lot. And if the designers get fed up, they'll leave. And that's just not good business.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Iambusyeating


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
ratthecat wrote:All the complaining and whining is hilarious. It's also funny that the biggest temper tantrums seem to come from people in the top ten. Me thinks they protest too much.



That's really not fair. I know for a fact Adder would complain about this even if he wasn't in contention so don't pin personal greed as a motivation on him.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Geckotek wrote:You mean the people that buy your shirts?!?!?! I think our opinion should weigh a bit heavier. Without the customer, the designers have no reason to exist. There will always be designers looking to make a buck.

I'm the one laying down my cash and not earning a dime. To heck with the designers that are complaining because they didn't earn my money. Without the Irony shirt, this would have been another week where Woot wouldn't get my money (thought last weeks sucked too.) If the "smelly" shirt made it in the top 3 (fat chance I'm thinking), I'll be buying 2.

So far I've purchased 2 shirts in the 3 weeks I've been here (not a lot, could've been more)....and I expect to buy a lot more. But if Woot caves in more to the designers......and if stupid people keep voting for shirts that suck just because they like the designers, I might have to find another place to spend my t-shirt money.

I don't care about the rules as long as shirts I want to buy go on sale. Woot is a business, I am a customer. END OF STORY.



And we are the people woot is doing business with. Like it or not, it doesn't matter what the customer wants... if the suppliers (read: designers) are getting screwed over, they'll stop supplying.

If you want to live in a solipsist world, there are plenty of happy-homes that would love your patronage. In the real world, everything is about way more than just you you you.

Geckotek


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek
AdderXYU wrote:And we are the people woot is doing business with. Like it or not, it doesn't matter what the customer wants... if the suppliers (read: designers) are getting screwed over, they'll stop supplying.

If you want to live in a solipsist world, there are plenty of happy-homes that would love your patronage. In the real world, everything is about way more than just you you you.



"Like it or not, it doesn't matter what the customer wants" WOW!

Wrong, there will always be more suppliers, but not always more customers. There is a reason why there are countless phrases that the "customer is king." There will be new talented designers to arrive in the future who don't remember the "Evils of Woot judging." So I could care less if all of you left right now.

Go open a business, look and see how hard it is to find a suplier for most of your products. Unless we are talking about something in limited supply, you will never have a shortage of people banging down your door trying to get you to re-sell their product. Every 10 year old with a laptop and a graphic program can and is creating graphics these days. Don't fool yourself that graphic designers for t-shirts are in short supply. I'm not belittling some of the talent that is here, but I am stating a fact.

Yes, I realize that a lot of designers are customers and not even regular winners. That still doens't change anything.

I'm not saying that you don't have reason to be upset. I'm not even saying that what happened in this contest was all handled correctly. The point is this, the precedent has been made. What was done in the past was wrong and that wrong has been made right. Yes, the rules were not enforced evenly even in this contest and that vacuums. But instead of whining to keep a bad rule in place just to make things fair, let's whine to have the new precedent applied to all that deserve it!!!

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Geckotek wrote:
I don't care about the rules as long as shirts I want to buy go on sale. Woot is a business, I am a customer. END OF STORY.



that's absurd. you don't care about the rules and woot being consistent with the rules?

think of it differently:
if woot wants to sell shirts, woot needs to have designs on the shirts. plain shirts won't sell well.
designers are attracted to the derby - the cash, the visibility, and the fun
woot rejects designs based on rules
designer is OK with rejection because woot follows the rules, so designer comes back (later that day or next week) with a new design that doesn't break rules
More designers come & enter after hearing word-of-mouth, there are more great submissions, more great shirts are printed, customers, designers, & woot benefit

If woot is inconsistent with the rules & rejections, designers leave and there are fewer good submissions, and fewer quality shirts for customers to buy.

It's not just about you. The designers want to win, sure. But they also cheer on great designs and critique others. The goal here is wearable shirts and good designers.

I think there's about as much a chance of me winning a derby as of the next derby topic being Bacon, but I'm still around having fun and hoping for great shirts. Woot unrejecting a rejectable shirt made me quite upset, as other shirts didn't get a chance. If woot continues to play fast and loose without telling designers what's up, they will leave.

Woot's not getting any money from my family this weekend. We would have bought several of any of the shirts in places 4-7, though.


& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Geckotek wrote:I'm not saying that you don't have reason to be upset. I'm not even saying that what happened in this contest was all handled correctly. The point is this, the precedent has been made. What was done in the past was wrong and that wrong has been made right. Yes, the rules were not enforced evenly even in this contest and that vacuums. But instead of whining to keep a bad rule in place just to make things fair, let's whine to have the new precedent applied to all that deserve it!!!



I feel the rule was a good rule, not a bad rule- which is why I am bothered by its absence. To me, once a shirt is rejected, it should stay rejected. I would agree with changing this policy only if the reason a shirt was rejected is inaccurate- which was not the case on this shirt.

I don't understand this precedent, which is why it bothers me. There are other shirts that were rejected by mistake and were not reinstated with votes intact. Until Woot gives an answer on why this shirt had it's accurate rejection reversed, I will continue to be confused by the new policy.

An answer from Woot would end the entire debate. Why won't they give one?

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
geekfactor12 wrote:
An answer from Woot would end the entire debate. Why won't they give one?



exactly. we need this more than ideas on how to recycle tshirts!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

monkeypye


quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeypye
Re: Bread Is Awesome



tis was cool idea. too bad it only got 7 votes
I wouldnt wear it myself but the hidden word was very clever!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Geckotek wrote:"Like it or not, it doesn't matter what the customer wants" WOW!

Wrong, there will always be more suppliers, but not always more customers. There is a reason why there are countless phrases that the "customer is king." There will be new talented designers to arrive in the future who don't remember the "Evils of Woot judging." So I could care less if all of you left right now.

Go open a business, look and see how hard it is to find a suplier for most of your products. Unless we are talking about something in limited supply, you will never have a shortage of people banging down your door trying to get you to re-sell their product. Every 10 year old with a laptop and a graphic program can and is creating graphics these days. Don't fool yourself that graphic designers for t-shirts are in short supply. I'm not belittling some of the talent that is here, but I am stating a fact.

Yes, I realize that a lot of designers are customers and not even regular winners. That still doens't change anything.

I'm not saying that you don't have reason to be upset. I'm not even saying that what happened in this contest was all handled correctly. The point is this, the precedent has been made. What was done in the past was wrong and that wrong has been made right. Yes, the rules were not enforced evenly even in this contest and that vacuums. But instead of whining to keep a bad rule in place just to make things fair, let's whine to have the new precedent applied to all that deserve it!!!



You're still wrong. The customer's always right is a phrase that exists to keep business. It's also a mantra because, as anyone who has ever dealt with customers can tell you, the customer is almost always a crashing dolt.

The fact is, the customer has voted rick astley, chuck norris as a woman, and a shirt with a shirt template on it into the fog. The customer has, once a derby, let up an outcry when they can't understand how their favorite shirt, which didn't fit the theme or follow the rules, got rejected. The customer made woot print What Dreams Are Made Of and Late Halloween Night, even though they'd never have printed well. The woot customer has proven time and again to be wrong.

Let's take the second point specifically, though. This is a CONTEST. The customers get to pick what they want, but what the customers want HAS to coincide with the rules. Your argument is that you don't care about fairness so long as you get your shirt and your milky tea and tucked in at night. But your shirt needs to follow the rules before you can get it. Woot insults its customer base all the time... don't kid yourself into believing they respect you and your wants any more than they respect us designers. But just as woot still gives the customers what they want (within the bounds of the rules) they should give the designers the same, within the bounds of the same rules.

Everything works together, sir. We need customers to vote for and buy our work. You need designers to make shirts for you to buy. We both need woot to bring us together. Woot needs both of us to keep their business going. And while they might not care if they lose me or any of the designers, they also aren't going to care if they lose you, either. There will still be customers, just as there will still be designers... the difference is that with an unfair contest, woot will have trouble securing quality designers, while a fair contest will keep quality higher and lead to higher quality customers.

Geckotek


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek

Yada, yada, yada.

Screw the contests and their stupid rules. The buyers rule and that's that. (I get your point, but honestly you seem to be ignoring the bigger picture of economics and just worrying about the little details of a stupid contest.)

When Woot makes contest that has stupid rules and result in stupid submissions, they end up w/ low sales. When they listen to the what the majority wants, they end up w/ higher sales. Woot knows this and they will always lean toward what makes them more money. So if the contests turn out to do more harm than good and designers whine all the time, the contests might just go away. But who knows, only Woot really knows the numbers and how these things positively or negatively affect their sales.

BTW, how many designers do you think it takes to make 7 shirts a week? How many customers do you think it takes to buy all the shirts Woot sells per week?

I rest my case. This is my last post on the subject.

Geckotek


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek

Oh, except to say that I just bought my 3rd shirt. =P

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Geckotek wrote:Yada, yada, yada.

Screw the contests and their stupid rules. The buyers rule and that's that. (I get your point, but honestly you seem to be ignoring the bigger picture of economics and just worrying about the little details of a stupid contest.)

When Woot makes contest that has stupid rules and result in stupid submissions, they end up w/ low sales. When they listen to the what the majority wants, they end up w/ higher sales. Woot knows this and they will always lean toward what makes them more money. So if the contests turn out to do more harm than good and designers whine all the time, the contests might just go away. But who knows, only Woot really knows the numbers and how these things positively or negatively affect their sales.

BTW, how many designers do you think it takes to make 7 shirts a week? How many customers do you think it takes to buy all the shirts Woot sells per week?

I rest my case. This is my last post on the subject.



Your argument is the smaller picture. I can't fathom the way woot thinks, but if they simply reinstated Irony because it would make them more money (which isn't guaranteed anyway - as I mentioned earlier, voters don't account for the entire customer base), that would only be advantageous in the short term.

If rules are not enforced and the contest becomes unfair, quality designers go away. If there are less quality designers submitting, there are less quality shirts being made by woot. That means lower sales, less business and less money in the long run.

In economics, you can't just look at the here and now. You have to look to the past to see the mistakes that have been made and correct them. You have to look forward and plan for the future. It's too late to do anything about the irony shirt now, but hopefully woot will try to be more consistent in enforcing the rules they set out before us.

BTW, just because there are designers doesn't mean there are good designers. Even now, there aren't enough customers to "buy all the shirts Woot sells per week." It's only rarely that a daily sells out, whereas derby winners usually do. Logically, the derby is where the majority of shirt.woot's revenue comes from.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

tubaloth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tubaloth
Re: You look stupid



Ok maybe this type of thing has been done on Woot before, but I have never seen it. I couldn't stop laughing! Great Idea! Maybe a different font would work better (Woot font) But the idea is cool!

covenant311


quality posts: 0 Private Messages covenant311
carlcarlson wrote:wow, I really hate this. like, I can't explain how much. shall I try? ok, well let's see... your verbage, your color choices, the font, the material... oh my.

I kid, go intaglio!



ooooh. aren't you the biggest kid on the playground.
you're so intellectual.

antmobsesser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages antmobsesser

I like this shirt. It's funny!

alrey


quality posts: 4 Private Messages alrey

In for one...

hasie444


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hasie444

I once worked for "The Department of Redundancy Department".

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
htebazile wrote:But...you left out an apostrophe.
"It's."

...



Oh no, a member of the patrol!!!

The omission was on purpose