kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
AdderXYU wrote:Ovaltina, my goat THIS WOULDNT BE IN THE FOG IF IT WASNT TGENTRY WHY YOU ALWAYS GOTTA WIN

Please say you're being facetious.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Ahh Summer

Text isn't allowed this derby. Resubmit while there's still time!

GravityJMB

Re: My Favorite Parts of the Summer

No text allowed this derby. Prepare for the rejectionator. ;)

wallacenorth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wallacenorth
Re: Summer Means ICED Tea

You are a fantastic designer. I really like your shirts, especially this one :-)

GravityJMB

Re: When Life Gives you Lemons.....

OH THE HUMANITY!...

lemanity?

Love it!

GravityJMB

Re: Suburban Blitzkrieg

Love the bright red on cranberry. Hope this one gets printed!

GravityJMB

Re: Rasta Beat

I've already got Human Genome and Army In My Pocket... and I'd love to add this one. Great for the beach!

puddlewatcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puddlewatcher

I just don't see the summer in the picture itself... all I see is a ninja thats hot? is it hot water he's standing in? just my two cents

Re: Ninjas Shouldn't Wear Black in Summer

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
dmkooo wrote:I don't understand why the shopping cart is in there.

I quite agree. the cart makes little to no sense to me, and you have too many colors in your design:
Creme
Dark yellow
Green
Brown
Navy
Turquoise
Red

That's one too many. I suggest remove the cart because it doesn't contribute to the design, and I'd suggest making it smaller. The size kills the design for me at all. I'd think that if you have the desire to make this a real 'heatwave' design, lose the birds and planes, focus on something like steam coming from the earth itself. I actually like how the water is bubbling and rising to the atmosphere. Remember, the design should convey the idea clearly when you look at it (from the perspective of someone you don't know walking down the street and seeing it for the first time).

JadenKale

puddlewatcher wrote:I just don't see the summer in the picture itself... all I see is a ninja thats hot? is it hot water he's standing in? just my two cents

llo first comment I've gotten here since this started!

He's trying to cool down by putting his feet in the water bucket, and rolling up his sleeves and pant legs. I had gotten the idea from this similar photo plus it was a play on the fact that we were told we couldn't use black this week because black is too hot for summer.

JadenKale

GoldBerry wrote:Love this design!! I've never owned an orange shirt before, would love to make this my first!

AWESOME!! Thanks for the vote!! I'd be happy to have you wear my orange shirt!!! I'd be happy to have all of woot wear my orange shirt L O L!

Lhyzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhyzz
Re: Silicone Castles

Wow that is very clever.

Lhyzz

Re: Hummingbird (baby blue)

Hummingbirds are the ultimate birds of summer -- these tropical beauties only come around when the weather gets really hot, and they're flying jewels!

Look for this design in cranberry and olive, if you prefer.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: Hummingbird (olive)

you I am an un-original person it

JadenKale

Lhyzz wrote:Hummingbirds are the ultimate birds of summer -- these tropical beauties only come around when the weather gets really hot, and they're flying jewels!

Look for this design in cranberry and olive, if you prefer.

Lhyzz, is there any specific reason why you are livetracing photos now? Surely you could have drawn this on your own.

rres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: Honu Kau Wela (Turtle Summer)

I just got back from Maui and saw a lot of locals with tribal tats and I was also infatuated with the Sea Turtles and the laid back Zen lifestyle. I wanted to bring all these things into a simple throwback design. Hope you like it.

john44111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john44111

woot

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
Re: The Ice Cream Truck

Yay, over 50! Thank you guys so much!

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
mjc613 wrote:I remember this song!!!! You did a good job illustrating it (except for the 10 pound note up his nose, which I am happy you left out).

Thanks!

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
rres wrote:I just got back from Maui and saw a lot of locals with tribal tats and I was also infatuated with the Sea Turtles and the laid back Zen lifestyle. I wanted to bring all these things into a simple throwback design. Hope you like it.

You know, you should really do your own knotwork. I always do. It takes a lot of time and effort, yeah, but I find it's worth it.

wreckoning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wreckoning

In all honesty, I love the artwork, but it just doesn't really do much for me. This is one of the first shirts of yours for which I have no intention to vote. I either don't get it, or it's just not very funny to me, but the artwork is amazing as usual

Lhyzz

Re: Hummingbird (cranberry)

Hummingbirds! :D

Please look for the baby blue and olive versions of this

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb
Re: Bad News

Summer takes a friend, life gets tougher. Vote to end the injust persecution of helpless ice cream cones by summers wrath

I'm only human

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
JadenKale wrote:They've been doing that on these shirts. Look at this post from Goldrkness:Mother's Day Shirt Winner They lay a base layer of white beneath the lighter colors so they don't disappear into the darker shirt. They also do this when there's a darker color under a lighter color. (which is why I try to layer the other direction and go from lightest on the bottom, to darkest on top) That doesn't ALWAYS work for me in the long run, but it does help eliminate those extra layers of unneeded ink.

unfortunately most of those pictures are too blurry to see any detail, but (speaking as someone who has had years of hands on experience) that's not the right way to print shirts. which may explain why their prints are so thick, but it just doesn't make practical sense of any kind.

for one thing in order to print a lighter color on top of a darker color you have to flash dry the bottom layer first. which means you would need at least 12 stations to print 6 colors. that would be a total waste of time and money since there are much easier ways to accomplish the same thing more practically using only one flash.

traditional silk screen printing uses what's called "butt registration" which means that all of colors "butt" up next to each other but don't overlap or print on top of each other except in cases where processing (the blending of 2 colors) is involved. since woot doesn't allow halftones or gradients they don't do processing.

there should never be more than 2 layers of ink on a shirt and only then when printing on dark shirts.

TurboGraphx16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16

No offense to Cho, but why would people want to walk around wearing a shirt that's nothing more than a glass of iced tea?

toe2254

JadenKale wrote:They've been doing that on these shirts. Look at this post from Goldrkness:Mother's Day Shirt Winner They lay a base layer of white beneath the lighter colors so they don't disappear into the darker shirt. They also do this when there's a darker color under a lighter color. (which is why I try to layer the other direction and go from lightest on the bottom, to darkest on top) That doesn't ALWAYS work for me in the long run, but it does help eliminate those extra layers of unneeded ink.

after taking a closer look at the pictures i can tell one thing and that is this shirt was a misprint. the colors are out of registration. simply stated it's what we call a reject, and the fact that woot charged someone for it tells me they run a sloppy print shop. they don't care about doing quality work or producing a quality product. i'm going to shut up now because anything else i say will probably get me in trouble.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Summer Goddess

Beautiful!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Seiren1 wrote:I like all your designs. I really like this one but, I wouldn't buy it because it is such a light color. Maybe the orange on red or something else that is darker?

Ya, I tried something darker, but I need the peach color for her highlights, face, hands and shirt. It's my unofficial 7th color

CAMMS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CAMMS
Re: Summer Nights

I love this shirt and I think you make a good point about the color of the cattails. I like the contrast of the flowers in the picture. JMHO

sokowa

Re: Summer Goddess

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'll be splitting my time between cartoonie and "artsy" for most derbies now. I just can't decide which one I enjoy drawing more ;) I'm hoping with more time and practice the artsy stuff will look more and more polished.

sokowa

Re: Summer Sailing

Indeed, very nice. You know you got something good when people like me think, "You know, I'm not much into sailing, but I'd certainly wear this shirt anyway" (and vote for it)

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

toe2254 wrote:after taking a closer look at the pictures i can tell one thing and that is this shirt was a misprint. the colors are out of registration. simply stated it's what we call a reject, and the fact that woot charged someone for it tells me they run a sloppy print shop. they don't care about doing quality work or producing a quality product. i'm going to shut up now because anything else i say will probably get me in trouble.

I don't think it's a matter of woot not caring. Woot cares, and if someone linked woot to that picture I'm sure a properly printed shirt got sent. The issues with woot shirts more likely come from relative inexperience with it than not caring. Woot is still fairly new to printing shirts and is still learning, but they have a pretty high volume of shirts to print and ship every day. It is to be expected that a random bad one will slip through and get sent. What's awesome is woot is very very good about correcting mistakes.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Raikus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raikus
dmkooo wrote:Personally, I'd like it better if it were just the woman and the sun...

Good to know. Thanks for giving me some feedback on it. I'm kind of depressed that a live-traced version of the sun has over double the votes so it's good to know where I went wrong.

And if anyone else feels like critiquing it or telling me why it doesn't get your vote, please message me and tell me why. It's always good to get advice so I can hone the next derby's design.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Re: HOT DOGGIE

there was a hand reaching down , but I had to cut it off. hope you all like it.
rock on......

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
TurboGraphx16 wrote:No offense to Cho, but why would people want to walk around wearing a shirt that's nothing more than a glass of iced tea?

Because it has adorable eskimoes in it silly.

Deadite7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deadite7

I just wish the eskimos were penguins or seals, because the more I look at it, the more it looks like those poor eskimos have drowned. Or is that the joke?

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SydneyB wrote:Wow, everyone really loves this shirt. And I agree the idea is cute, but I just wanted to say that even though the artwork is great (it really is!) and those bomb pops look scrumptious (they do!), I will not buy this shirt.

Why?

It just reminds me of war. I've had enough war. I want happy.

Just wanted to say it. I'm sorry.

I am so incredibly not pro-war, I firmly believe in peace, and I love this design.

I was reading it completely differently - the trucks are raining down summer happiness onto the suburban homes.

but then I'm told I look for the good in everything...

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

toe2254

superspryte wrote:I don't think it's a matter of woot not caring. Woot cares, and if someone linked woot to that picture I'm sure a properly printed shirt got sent. The issues with woot shirts more likely come from relative inexperience with it than not caring. Woot is still fairly new to printing shirts and is still learning, but they have a pretty high volume of shirts to print and ship every day. It is to be expected that a random bad one will slip through and get sent. What's awesome is woot is very very good about correcting mistakes.

quality control begins before the shirts leave the shop. that shirt should have never been mailed. i don't mean to bash woot, and you're right, it's probably due more to inexperience than lack of caring. i tend to be highly critical because i work in this industry.

Evilsher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Evilsher
andrewlb wrote:Summer takes a friend, life gets tougher. Vote to end the injust persecution of helpless ice cream cones by summers wrath

This design is really sweet - the mouth positioning on the speaker is fantastic. However, I am not sure if it is the pointed ice cream or the vanilla, but it feels a little KKK (white pointy hoods) ... could you resubmit with either flavored cones or less pointy ice cream? Sorry. Otherwise, it is definitely awesome.

TurboGraphx16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Iambusyeating wrote:Because it has adorable eskimoes in it silly.

L-O-L ... I grasp that, but unless people normally walk up to you and study the detail of shirts you wear, I'd guess the eskimos are going to go unnoticed.

This shirt is perfect if you love when people come up to you in the mall and say, "Hey, I noticed your shirt, you must really like refreshing summer drinks.".