Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Hope you're having a real swell time getting your Memorial Day on. We certainly are, which is why this week's Reckoning post will be light on the commentary. Roll the rankings, control room:

Survivors (position last week/weeks on chart)

Casualties (position last week/weeks on chart)
Bystanders (not eligible for Reckoning until next week)

As always, the Casualties will be available until midnight tonight. Gratz to our new chart-topper, Strike!. Feel free to provide your own play-by-play and color analysis in the thread below.

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim

Noooo! Mr. Toast!

Oh well, I guess that makes mine all the more rare.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

It's always surprising to me that derby winners (including 3rd places) end up reckoned so quickly.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
kylemittskus wrote:It's always surprising to me that derby winners (including 3rd places) end up reckoned so quickly.

It's no surprise to me that Derby 3rd placers get reckoned so quickly -- they get two less days to amass sales than do the 1st and second place winners.

hasdgfas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hasdgfas
wizard7926 wrote:It's no surprise to me that Derby 3rd placers get reckoned so quickly -- they get two less days to amass sales than do the 1st and second place winners.

I think they do it by average sales though, so actual number makes less of a difference.

martian423

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martian423

Well, to me it makes sense at times. Third place is a relevant term, so no matter how few votes they get, as long as they're third, they're used.

I know Nightmare on Wall Street didn't really appeal to me (I bought the other two). It made even more sense when I read the Woot comments which led me to believe that the creator had used about the same design to enter into several derbies. If an idea is a one-idea-for-several-derbies idea, it's not very specific and, thus, lacks a certain punch that might make it last longer in the overall reckoning. (I've never entered a derby, so my congrats to all winners, but...)

amcatanzaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amcatanzaro
kylemittskus wrote:It's always surprising to me that derby winners (including 3rd places) end up reckoned so quickly.

Except for Angry Day.

I wasn't going to stay up. Drat! Foiled again!

Travel in style! Travel in a Woot shirt!

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
amcatanzaro wrote:Except for Angry Day.

...and winning shirts by Fable. ;)

taylasablerose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylasablerose

FRACK! I'm still in weekend mode and completely forgot it was Monday. I was going to pick up a copy of Nightmare on Wall Street. *sigh* Bummer.

Woots x7 Shirt Woots x81

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
taylasablerose wrote:FRACK! I'm still in weekend mode and completely forgot it was Monday. I was going to pick up a copy of Nightmare on Wall Street. *sigh* Bummer.

Random shirt sale - you never know!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mlwarren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlwarren

If angry day is number 16 does this mean it will be gone next week? Should I buy now?

olbilldoor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olbilldoor
mlwarren wrote:If angry day is number 16 does this mean it will be gone next week? Should I buy now?

Eh, not necessarily, but why wait?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
mlwarren wrote:If angry day is number 16 does this mean it will be gone next week? Should I buy now?

The top 20 remain and only the bottom 7 are cut. If it's number 16 right now, it's safe thus far, but it's getting close to the bottom and so may disappear soon. There's the weekend left, and anything can happen. If you really want it, you should probably buy now. Otherwise, you should still have a chance at it on Monday, even if it does get reckoned.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)