Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
mia3mom wrote:and people say I started late!

my youngest will be 5 in August.

I have no clue where to find vector packs, and that shows too.

up too late now, losing coherency, ...

Far too late for me too since I get up at 5:30. Good night folks, and I'm sure I'll be back in a few days or so.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SaritaBeth wrote:is it just me, or is there drama and controversy every week? I have only been reading the forums more in depth the past few weeks, but it seems like there is much yelling and fussing always. and it doesn't seem to be directed at the places it really ought to go most of the time imo.

Welcome to Woot.

Schrobblehead wrote:Far too late for me too since I get up at 5:30. Good night folks, and I'm sure I'll be back in a few days or so.

Don't leave us hanging for too long, Schrobble. Night.

eHalcyon wrote:Hmm... ok, I know that black doesn't print well on brown shirts, but what's the story on using brown and black inks together? I have a black-outlined character that I need to be a dark colour, either greyish or brownish (currently brown) and I'm wondering how dark I can make the brown without the lines becoming indistinguishable.

^ so it doesn't get lost on the last page.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SaritaBeth wrote:n_n I knew there was a reason I liked you. my oldest (and only) child is 13. and I am rapidly facing down 36 in a couple of weeks. I console myself with the fact that the S.O. is 11 years younger than me, but people tend to think we are the same age, or (even better cause it inspires much wicked witch cackling on my part) he is older than me. I had the EXACT same idea as the heart of nature one. oak leave and everything. but decided not to do it because I was afraid it would end up looking like clip art, even if it wasn't. one of my submissions was an experiment on my part to see what the vote number/time spent ratio would be. i found it sad that the one I spent the LEAST amount of time on got the most votes.
but its all good. I am learning more and more each time. I just need to figure out how to come up with the right idea fast enough ROTFL. I finally figured out the best idea, how to execute it and everything, but really late in the game. realistically, too late to submit. So I will hang onto the idea and see if I can reuse it in some way for another one. I start to drive myself insane and all OCD about it, before I smack myself on the forehead and go "Duh, Sarah, it's not like its gonna get more than 20 votes for god's sake" llo but that is my perfectionist nature. *sigh* and I figure out what I screw up from the wonderful feedback. n_n its really good. I don't mean that snarky at all. I accidentally created a transparency from working on my last one on no sleep. did a internal glow thing, which made it transparent. kinda sucked since i went to all the trouble to make sure it was done with solid stuff ROTFL.

I've been entering off and on since text-as-art, and I'm noticing that the less effort the more votes. weird. especially 'cos the 2 I was insanely proud of got less votes than the other entries I had in those derbies (see the treehouse this week)

I had some coherent thought, but it vanished. I need sleep. I look forward to seeing more of your designs, tho.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
eHalcyon wrote:Hmm... ok, I know that black doesn't print well on brown shirts, but what's the story on using brown and black inks together? I have a black-outlined character that I need to be a dark colour, either greyish or brownish (currently brown) and I'm wondering how dark I can make the brown without the lines becoming indistinguishable.

Hmm, you might try some test prints to see what it looks like, and look up the pantones from sundbe's 80's entry. Another suggestion would be to eliminate the black outline and replace select edges with a slightly lighter color.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Hmm, you might try some test prints to see what it looks like, and look up the pantones from sundbe's 80's entry. Another suggestion would be to eliminate the black outline and replace select edges with a slightly lighter color.

I am not at all skilled enough to replace lines as you suggest. I tried looking up the pantones from derek's Nightmare on Wall Street, for the dark blue he used on the anonymous crowd. From photos, it appeared that the black outline was quite distinguishable. But is there a way in Photoshop to grab specific pantones by code? I tried finding each of them by hand and I think I might have missed that one, because all the colours I found were much lighter.

Here's a shot at some of the brown I've picked out (412 C):

Also, feel free to guess what my design actually is from that crop.

When you want black in a design, woot usually uses Black C, right?

Also, what do you mean by test prints? Just on paper?

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:I am not at all skilled enough to replace lines as you suggest. I tried looking up the pantones from derek's Nightmare on Wall Street, for the dark blue he used on the anonymous crowd. From photos, it appeared that the black outline was quite distinguishable. But is there a way in Photoshop to grab specific pantones by code? I tried finding each of them by hand and I think I might have missed that one, because all the colours I found were much lighter.

Here's a shot at some of the brown I've picked out (412 C):

Also, feel free to guess what my design actually is from that crop.

When you want black in a design, woot usually uses Black C, right?

Also, what do you mean by test prints? Just on paper?

Okay, answers are gonna be backwards:

1. Test prints- on a 4- or 6-color printer, yes. I've printed potential colors using my HP 7790 using 6-colors to make sure a design looks good. It's not a guarantee, but it helps check for anything out of the ordinary (like several colors of black, etc).
2. Picking pantones by code- not really. I think when Woot changed templates, one of our faithful users went through and found the pantone matches to their new template colors which were not pantone. It's a matter of having a good eye, a good monitor, and patience.
3. The brown looks easily different from the black. I'd go with it.
4. In separate shirts, I've used Black C, Hexachrome Black C, and Process Black C. I think woot uses all three.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Okay, answers are gonna be backwards:

1. Test prints- on a 4- or 6-color printer, yes. I've printed potential colors using my HP 7790 using 6-colors to make sure a design looks good. It's not a guarantee, but it helps check for anything out of the ordinary (like several colors of black, etc).
2. Picking pantones by code- not really. I think when Woot changed templates, one of our faithful users went through and found the pantone matches to their new template colors which were not pantone. It's a matter of having a good eye, a good monitor, and patience.
3. The brown looks easily different from the black. I'd go with it.
4. In separate shirts, I've used Black C, Hexachrome Black C, and Process Black C. I think woot uses all three.

What, no guesses?

What's the difference between those blacks?

Edit: Forgot to say - thanks for the answers!

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:What, no guesses?

What's the difference between those blacks?

No guesses, because I seriously have no idea. Although it looks like a white circle topped with a red circle above and a slate circle below. Brown on the right. Could be a pucker But since you cartoon, it might be a cartoon person (white circle is head, brown hair, red hat and gray body)

The brown is interesting- I can't find a good Pantone match (it's really dark compared to my pantones: EDIT: Duuuh... Black 4C). Red is definitely 195C. Gray looks to be 432C.

No idea what the difference between the blacks are, aside from the name.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:No guesses, because I seriously have no idea. Although it looks like a white circle topped with a red circle above and a slate circle below. Brown on the right. Could be a pucker But since you cartoon, it might be a cartoon person (white circle is head, brown hair, red hat and gray body)

The brown is interesting- I can't find a good Pantone match (it's really dark compared to my pantones: EDIT: Duuuh... Black 4C). Red is definitely 195C. Gray looks to be 432C.

No idea what the difference between the blacks are, aside from the name.

No, it's not Black 4C... I mentioned it earlier - it's 412 C. I hear Photoshop's swatches aren't the best approximations though. =\

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:No, it's not Black 4C... I mentioned it earlier - it's 412 C. I hear Photoshop's swatches aren't the best approximations though. =\

Okay, Now I'm confused... 412C looks like the black lines on my computer, while the Black 4C looks like a good match to the brown. I'm on a sheety Dell Monitor though- need to look at it on my MacBook Pro- it's got a far superior screen...

Ah well, I'd still give it a go. Good luck, I'm off to bed!

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Okay, Now I'm confused... 412C looks like the black lines on my computer, while the Black 4C looks like a good match to the brown. I'm on a sheety Dell Monitor though- need to look at it on my MacBook Pro- it's got a far superior screen...

Ah well, I'd still give it a go. Good luck, I'm off to bed!

Well, I'm on a Dell monitor too. XP

I don't know how to draw this roller coaster silhouette...

Goodnight!

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:Well, I'm on a Dell monitor too. XP

I don't know how to draw this roller coaster silhouette...

Goodnight!

This is a 3-year-old 15 incher- Not exactly color corrected... Ask Kenney- he made a roller coaster silhouette this week...

Night...

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:This is a 3-year-old 15 incher- Not exactly color corrected... Ask Kenney- he made a roller coaster silhouette this week...

Night...

Mmm, his is too awesome, especially if he hand-drew that beast of a coaster. I just need something simple... the hard part for me right now is making the broken struts look right.

eHalcyon

I think I'm done. I'm happy with the way it looks... now I'll throw together a comp of some sort and send it out to daily-land...

Hehe, this reminds me of woot.

Edit: Sent. Now we'll see what happens...

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:Mmm, his is too awesome, especially if he hand-drew that beast of a coaster. I just need something simple... the hard part for me right now is making the broken struts look right.

Ahh... more clues! I bet it's someone getting ejected from a broken roller coaster

SkekTek

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I have to work again when the theme will be posted (my manager likes to reuse schedules and doesn't seem to realize that reusing bad schedules is bad) so please continue here until I make the Derby Cyberpub. It'll be about the same time this week as last week. Sorry. This won't happen in Japan because it'll be the middle of the night!

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

superspryte wrote:I have to work again when the theme will be posted (my manager likes to reuse schedules and doesn't seem to realize that reusing bad schedules is bad) so please continue here until I make the Derby Cyberpub. It'll be about the same time this week as last week. Sorry. This won't happen in Japan because it'll be the middle of the night!

Are you going to get up in the wee hours to start the thread Good luck convincing your boss to recycle a good schedule, because seriously, Woot comes first !

HiddenIdentity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HiddenIdentity
SkekTek wrote:This is a 3-year-old 15 incher- Not exactly color corrected... Ask Kenney- he made a roller coaster silhouette this week...

Night...

That wimp Kenny just googles pictures of roller coasters and cut out the good parts and life traced them using edge detection, I think, then flipped a couple of them backwards and rotated one slightly and resized them so it'd be hard to tell that they were lifted from google image searches.

That poseur cheap rat-faced loser pansy turdboy! How does he get away with that garbage?

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
HiddenIdentity wrote: How does he get away with that garbage?

Because I tip heavily.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:Because I tip heavily.

Wow, next thing you know, you'll be rampantly using free vector clip art and getting yourself in the fog... beesterd...

You know, we need to team up and submit a superdesigner entry or two sometime in the future... The chogentry and chomicherly teams seem to be quite successful

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:Wow, next thing you know, you'll be rampantly using free vector clip art and getting yourself in the fog... beesterd...

You know, we need to team up and submit a superdesigner entry or two sometime in the future... The chogentry and chomicherly teams seem to be quite successful

I thought the Josephus9226 entry was good. But I don't know if we really collaborated too much on that one. I merely rode his coattails.

Watch your language there! Stop that quitter talk! You and I both know that we (as well as the other fine folks here) are all superdesigners. It's just our work won't be appreciated in our time, that's all. I have said before that I will never compromise my artistic integrity to gratify the masses, and I bet many of the rest of us feel the same (maybe). If I wanted to be a superstar, I'd have gone to Hollywood!

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:I thought the Josephus9226 entry was good. But I don't know if we really collaborated too much on that one. I merely rode his coattails.

Watch your language there! Stop that quitter talk! You and I both know that we (as well as the other fine folks here) are all superdesigners. It's just our work won't be appreciated in our time, that's all. I have said before that I will never compromise my artistic integrity to gratify the masses, and I bet many of the rest of us feel the same (maybe). If I wanted to be a superstar, I'd have gone to Hollywood!

Okay, maybe superdesigner was not explained correctly. It's like the late great velcro bands of the 80's such as GTR, Asia, Power Station

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:Okay, maybe superdesigner was not explained correctly. It's like the late great velcro bands of the 80's such as GTR, Asia, Power Station

Don't forget ELO and Slade!

Oh, and Foreigner! And the Outfield!

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Schrobblehead wrote:No offense back, but It makes me feel old to realize I'm turning 30 in 13 months.

makes me feel old to see that on the screen seeing I just turned 45...blah. But on a side note: vacations are fun.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

Edit : I just found out thta
i hate posting with My yaptop..because I keep hitting the return key more than once. disregard this post and move on. theres nothing to see here.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Lolyer wrote: a bunch of hooey.

Roffles...here comes a tirade:
My friend has a fiancee. When we first met her, this is how things went:
"Hey, so what do you do, Karen?"
"Oh, I'm a banker."
*Karen's friend snickers*
"Fine, okay. I'm actually a lawyer. I just don't like to tell people that because they ask me a million questions."
"..."
That's an inflated sense of importance. We devoted the rest of the evening to coming up with the dumbest imaginable questions.
"SO DO YA'LL HAVE TO WEAR SHOES TO COURT?"
"DID YOU HAVE TO WATCH 'THE PAPER CHASE' IN LAW SCHOOL?"
"DO YOU LIKE JOHN GRISHAM?"
I worked in a courtroom for three years as a court reporter and had my share of affairs with lolyers. I'll never understand the ego thing. It's remarkable.
Here's what's true: I can't speak for everybody else, but I know people who race cars for a living. I know people who get paid to play video games. I know people who conduct orchestras and people who are independently wealthy and artists and psychopharmacologists and firefighters and sailors. THOSE are people who get a million questions from me.

That you don't want to reveal your TRUE internetz identity speaks volumes.

(For what it's worth, hubs was like, 'I never said it was illegal!' when I mentioned this to a mutual friend with him next to me. For clarity's sake, he said he would report the business to the cc company. oops.)

Anydoodle, morning guyez!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:Don't forget ELO and Slade!

Oh, and Foreigner! And the Outfield!

I don't think they count, since they weren't bands made of remnants of much better bands. IE: GTR was Steve Hackett (Genesis) and Steve Howe (Yes), Asia was Geoffrey Downes (Yes), Steve How (Yes again), etc...

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:lots of stuff

Anydoodle, morning guyez!

Morning! Did you ever see From The Hip! Funny lawyer movie!

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
SkekTek wrote:Wow, next thing you know, you'll be rampantly using free vector clip art and getting yourself in the fog... beesterd...

This seems to be a morning for rants. So here goes. Then I'm going to scram outta here before Ducky finds out that Cho flirted with me last night. Our little exchange can be seen on the fogged design "Heart of Nature". You'll also see where I got into a knock-down-drag-out with not only Addled Adder, but a couple of his gal-pals, too.

Remember that what some consider "drama", others consider "discussion". At any rate, I posted this over there, and I'll reiterate it here:

The "Heart of Nature" vector art design might be rejected, in which case those who have been objecting so strenuously to it will be vindicated and those of us who like this type of design (feminine, romantic, wearable) will just have to wait until the next acceptable design comes along and vote for that one instead.

I should think that this little dust-up would serve to give a clue to the designers here: there is a large voting body out there that wants "girly" stuff! Not cartoons, not zombies, not war, not skulls, soldiers, swordfish, or Medusas, not horror, not crows and presidents, but things a woman can wear and feel PRETTY wearing them!

I've been saying that since the first day I discovered Woot shirts.

Instead of stewing and b*tching and griping about how this design came about, and instead of wasting your energy bemoaning Woot's capricious rejection practices, why don't you all sit down and start thinking of ways to win the "pretty design loving" votes? Draw some hand-made swirls! Design a romantic heart-shaped flower! Use colors besides blood red and asphalt and puke beige! Get a freakin' CLUE!

Now that you know that there are enough votes out there to put a "swirly-girly-frilly" design in the fog, get on your A game and GO AFTER THEM!

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:I don't think they count, since they weren't bands made of remnants of much better bands. IE: GTR was Steve Hackett (Genesis) and Steve Howe (Yes), Asia was Geoffrey Downes (Yes), Steve How (Yes again), etc...

Sorry, I didn't see the connection. But now I remember that Power Station was made up of some of the Duran Duran guys, I think.

zum zum (tsay) zum zum (tsay)..

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Morning! Did you ever see From The Hip! Funny lawyer movie!

Nope, that's a new one to me...I'm really terribly out of touch with movies, though. Surprisingly.

Lolyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lolyer
PemberDucky wrote:Provides proof that I was right

It doesn't matter if the reaction is questions or vitriol spewing like Mauna Loa, the reaction always vacuums.

I rest my case and will forever hide my true identity.

PemberDucky

Staff

Webfoot08 wrote: many things.

I actually owe my darling Cho a loveno, er, message...thanks for reminding me.
(And watch your back and stuff!)

As for the shirty issues...none of it will ever change. But it probably feels good to rant. (Well, I know that for a fact, heh.)

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Webfoot08 wrote:...there is a large voting body out there that wants "girly" stuff! Not cartoons, not zombies, not war, not skulls, soldiers, swordfish, or Medusas, not horror, not crows and presidents, but things a woman can wear and feel PRETTY wearing them!

I've been saying that since the first day I discovered Woot shirts.

Instead of stewing and b*tching and griping about how this design came about, and instead of wasting your energy bemoaning Woot's capricious rejection practices, why don't you all sit down and start thinking of ways to win the "pretty design loving" votes?

...now that there are enough votes out there to put a "swirly-girly-frilly" design in the fog, get on your A game and GO AFTER THEM!

...so, you're saying we should design a shirt with a pair of high-on-the-chest circular cutouts...?

SkekTek

Lolyer wrote:It doesn't matter if the reaction is questions or vitriol spewing like Mauna Loa, the reaction always vacuums.

I rest my case and will forever hide my true identity.

Mauna Loa hasn't erupted in years... you might be thinking of Kilauea...

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Mauna Loa hasn't erupted in years... you might be thinking of Kilauea...

Which has been causing some trouble lately, I hear.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:Sorry, I didn't see the connection. But now I remember that Power Station was made up of some of the Duran Duran guys, I think.

zum zum (tsay) zum zum (tsay)..

Yep... that is true, which supports the Velcro band moniker. Other famous velcro bands: Bad English (Journey, Babys), Velvet Revolver.

Here ya go- a definitive list

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:Which has been causing some trouble lately, I hear.

Only for the last 25 years or so... one of my favorite Hawaiian words: Pu'u O'o (poo-oo oh-oh)

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Only for the last 25 years or so... one of my favorite Hawaiian words: Pu'u O'o (poo-oo oh-oh)

I like Vog. It sounds like a viking or something.