+ Add a Comment

Elevenbane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elevenbane
Kil1ertofu wrote:The double XX works. And I like how the sheep in the back looks like it has eyes because of the OO, but the front one..it looks like it says OS...or something... Maybe that's just me. But I think that the on should be OO like they're surprised.

Well, the symbol replacing the 'N' is a little tiny lightning bolt. I figure it would signify power and charging sort of mode on the Switchsheep.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Kil1ertofu wrote:The double XX works. And I like how the sheep in the back looks like it has eyes because of the OO, but the front one..it looks like it says OS...or something... Maybe that's just me. But I think that the on should be OO like they're surprised.

have to agree with tofu here.... love the xx though. the front still looks a bit like "on" to me....

vudruliant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vudruliant
Re: Yay Frendz!

Too feminine for me. Nice work though.

uhhuhhuhhuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh

Hmmm, thought I posted this earlier but it's not there. Anyway, here's my second attempt at designing a shirt. Poison dart frog stoplight. Why not? Here's a larger image:

Lemme know if you like/hate it or suggest changes! Thanks for looking!

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
eHalcyon wrote:The poem:...

Loved the whole thing! Def gmv!

jessephoenix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessephoenix
Re: Green with Envy

Vote for the poor jealous peacock!

Elevenbane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elevenbane
heartluce wrote:have to agree with tofu here.... love the xx though. the front still looks a bit like "on" to me....

Hmmm, okay then sounds like one more resub is needed.

endejester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages endejester
Re: Oops

So now that I have a few minutes to sit down XD
The 'clever' story behind this shirt.

I was sorting through the O-Z drawer at work while thinking about the derby, couldn't for the life of me think what was makeing me think about the derby while I was trying to file paper work, I mean...green...really...
And then I had this 'Wicked' idea... (yes you can hit be for that pun) I don't think its direct enough to be a problem... but I thought it was at least worth a laugh.

Best of luck to everyone participating!!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Common Sense

Variations on a theme #2: Do's and Don'ts of Recycling

Nuggit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nuggit
Re: Green Bulb

This is inspiring. Looks nice too

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote:Nice to know this type of design still has a niche. One of these days when one of my shirts is reckoned, I'll have to try my hand at this minimalism.

if/when you do, try to make it a minimalist design, and not just some carp slapped on a shirt.

SeedUvPain

AdderXYU wrote:if/when you do, try to make it a minimalist design, and not just some carp slapped on a shirt.

Don't underestimate the power of a carp on a shirt

illuminator

uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:Hmmm, thought I posted this earlier but it's not there. Anyway, here's my second attempt at designing a shirt. Poison dart frog stoplight. Why not? Here's a larger image:

Lemme know if you like/hate it or suggest changes! Thanks for looking!

It's cute but I don't know... something about the eyes...

illuminator

SeedUvPain wrote:Variations on a theme #2: Do's and Don'ts of Recycling

I guess that throws organ donation out the window...

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
Re: Nature Spirit

nice work!

AdderXYU

SeedUvPain wrote:Don't underestimate the power of a carp on a shirt

I never do. It has the power to upset my stomach from 80 paces

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

@cdncarlie - sorry I missed your comment earlier. Even though "absolutely adorable" may be a cliched phrase, I don't mind hearing it at all.

@rufishinjr - I'm hoping the number of people who like the lolcat is greater than the number who are put off!

@Discobiscuits - The monster is so much larger than the girl that I felt having it closer to the side of the shirt helped it to balance. Perhaps I moved it to far to the one side, but I think it works fairly well. Centred placement is boring and overdone anyway.

@vudruliant - I think it's too feminine for me too, but I'm still happy with how it turned out. I'll be working on another version of the monster when I have time. It'll be the prequel to this scene and (probably) less feminine.

@illuminator - I'm glad you liked it!

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Please also check out Fablefire's frogs, my favourite design so far.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
AdderXYU wrote:Value needs to have substance to back it up. It's going to be a melange of opinions cut with respectability and knowledge. Or, to put it another way, if 50 out of 50 reputable graphic designers say Grow looks like a corporate logo, they're more likely to have appraised its actual value better than the 1000+ people who bought the damn thing.

Except that appraisers use what people will pay to evaluate the actual value, and they use units of money, not imaginary essence-of-art points. If purchases don't make the value, there's no point being frustrated by Grow's (or this) success, because that's all the derby goes by. If you sort the entries by real artistic value, you'll see this near the bottom. (wink)

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce

alrighty. 'Nade take 3. 100% redrawn. i hope that's significant enough : /

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
AdderXYU wrote:if/when you do, try to make it a minimalist design, and not just some carp slapped on a shirt.

I'll try, but no guarantees. It'll be done with a 10-15min time limit.

AdderXYU

fablefire wrote:I'll try, but no guarantees. It'll be done with a 10-15min time limit.

guaranteed win, then. Even better, people will defend it by insisting it took hours.

Definitely add leaves. People love leaves. It'll be a unique statement, too... woot's never printed any minimalist leaf designs. They haven't even printed trees.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
Re: Celtic Path

Very cool! Love the knots.

lrewis2030

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lrewis2030
rcs914 wrote:Love the idea! I just wish the knight was green in some way, rather than just the shield and tractor.

No, this is exactly right. The armor should be gray (silver or pewter), while the shield, lance, and maybe the plume on the helmet would display the knight's named color.

gmv for sure.

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
heartluce wrote:Love your illustrations Beefcoat. Interesting and GMV.

Thanks heart! I really appreciate the comment.

WeezTheJuice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WeezTheJuice
Re: Tummy Ache

I ate too many peoples

WarholBot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WarholBot
phzzt wrote:I love your work! I'm still pulling hardcore for your camera design on DBH. This is fantastic.

i think it has a good chance. Its still early tho

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Re: the Last Green (resub)

This is fantastic.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Rampage Salad

hahahaha!!! funny!

haxrox

A consecutively fogged entry! You picked up on the voting style right quick, e. I think I'd have to wear lots of flannel and grow a beard to wear this with my masculinity intact, but I appreciate the design. I'm more impressed with how you've progressively honed your entries to better appeal to more wooters, and your dedication to productive verbosity in the forums. If that computer engineering thing doesn't work out, you seem to have the eye and diplomacy for commercial design. Good stuff.

illuminator

Re: Frog Scandal

Don't quite get it... is that a white frog painting itself green?

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Eco-Unfriendly

There's plenty of tension by the dumpster, thanks to those uppity recyclable items.

Still, such snobbery is a small price to pay for going green...

SeedUvPain

Re: Evolution

Evolution...even nature would be lazy with Tivo

AdderXYU

haxrox wrote:Except that appraisers use what people will pay to evaluate the actual value, and they use units of money, not imaginary essence-of-art points. If purchases don't make the value, there's no point being frustrated by Grow's (or this) success, because that's all the derby goes by. If you sort the entries by real artistic value, you'll see this near the bottom. (wink)

To the same degree, appraisers aren't always right. The average person might never want an item, making the appraised value low, but you could get lucky and find one dolt who loves it enough to spend 10 times what you spent originally.

On the other hand, if you have a used car that is still valued at $20,000, it doesn't mean you'll ever find anyone willing to buy it at $15,000. Value as you state it is individual. Just because it WILL sell doesn't make it good, or even worth selling. Woot's had plenty of shirts that could have sold like crazy if they'd let them print, but they axed them for not fitting their standards. If value is only about trucking in money, I'd think woot would have a much looser set of standards.

Though this is really a moot point to argue with someone who got a bestselling shirt by slapping some text over a picture and pressing "enter" a bunch of times until it formed a raven.

illuminator

Re: Cultivate the World

so much depth with only three colors! GMV

Raikus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raikus

Deleted comments. Apologies.

haxrox

The dark side of recycling. That toothpaste tube has enough character to elicit my vote on its own.

SeedUvPain

Ha! I had this exact same idea for a concept but could not for the life of me figure out how to pull it off visually. You obviously have. Nice work.

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio
Re: Photosynthesis

what photosynthesis looks like

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Soylent Green

I love it! One of your best. I hope this wins.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: Camouflaged on Cotton

Very clever use of pattern, gmv