eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SkekTek wrote:Doesn't matter. It still rocks. GMV

Haha, thanks. It is by no means a winning design. I just wanted to use the pun. And I guess it helped me experiment with drawing fire, though my ability in that area is still very poor.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SkekTek wrote:Okay, now... Threadless entry, or straight to Spreadshirt?

try tless and/or uneetee first

can't hurt might help. money is good.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mia3mom

SkekTek wrote:Originally yes, but I don't think it is in the style normally picked by Woot. So I thought perhaps threadless since they've got a history of funny shirts with text getting printed. I'll also look at uneetee as suggested.

I'd also shop elphabet around too

I love that shirt soooo much

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
mia3mom wrote:I'd also shop elphabet around too

I love that shirt soooo much

Aw, you make me smile. Yeah, I still have to get back to that one and finish it up (add some more shadows, accent lines, etc).

WonderWooter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
no1 wrote:Uh, why would a married woman mind if her husband has straight male friends?

If I were married, I would worry if my husband only had pleasantly upbeat male friends. I am just sayin

edit: gotta love the filters!

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

SaritaBeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaritaBeth
AdderXYU wrote:I love how when rules inside the derby get smashed, no one ever seems to react, but when woot prints a beer shirt, THAT inconsistency is big enough to get people raging.

Dailies and derbies are different. There are plenty of rules in the derbies that dailies don't need to worry about. Woot picks the dailies independently of the normal blathering going on in the derby, so they know that it fits their mission. Most alcohol shirts simply aren't going to. If woot wants to print a pac-man, a sign, and a flying penguin with the rest of their week, that's their prerogative... they're just keeping it out of the derbies because they don't want the same sort of bad ideas to roam free every week. Better to reject them all than to have to go on "merit" and have people complain "why didn't his beer shirt get rejected??? unfair!!!"

Seriously, there are much bigger issues with the derby than its beer rule. Get upset about real issues.

I wasn't upset about it at all. just something that I noticed. I wouldn't care about the beer rule regardless, because *gasp* I don't drink, and would never wear any kind of alcohol shirt under any circumstances, short of being naked in the blazing sun and needing cover immediately lest my lily white skin fry like bacon. :P not a comment on the artistic style of any submitted/for sale alcohol shirts..just not my thang.
I agree, that there are a lot bigger inconsistencies to gripe about. there are many things that I just shake my head and go "ok then" about. the biggest one being the weird inconsistent rule stuff about submitting a design that is up at another site. I still don't get that whole thing, but as I am new to the derby stuff I end up lurking and reading about all the conflict and staying out of the fray. Woot will do as Woot does, and it just may be beyond my understanding. I take it as a learning opportunity for me, to practice letting go and NOT understanding something ROTFL. But i also tend to fall somewhere in the middle on many of the debates. What I look for personally in purchasing shirts here (which I have lots of) are things that are different or unique in some way. something that strikes me as funny, or pretty, but mostly just DIFFERENT. something that I can't get at walmart. I enjoy owning and wearing shirts that make me giggle, or bring a smile to other's faces. But I also think that there is talent in figuring out what is marketable. that there is art for art's sake, and marketing. its wonderful when the two can meet. but that is not always the case. the shirts that do really well, that stay in the top 20 imo, manage to do this. to conceptualize something that makes people think, that intrigues the masses and is different..but also is marketable and wearable.
I don't get all the squawking over things being too cute, or being only what children wear. i think that is a matter of personal opinion and taste. what one person thinks is child-like, another person finds endearing. my favorite shirts I own so far, (if I have to choose) are my scurvy shirt and fat unicorn. both considered to be by many, very child like and too cute. I disagree, and wear my shirts with pride. cause it makes me happy. of course, I get the added benefit of embarrassing the hell out of my 13 year old with some of them. gotta love that opportunity. XD

and another Edgar gets printed:

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

http://cameesa.com/buy/design/168/fiction-vs-non-fiction

mia3mom

SkekTek wrote:Aw, you make me smile. Yeah, I still have to get back to that one and finish it up (add some more shadows, accent lines, etc).

well, don't forget to let us know when it's done.

In all that copious free time you have. ;)

This week was I am an un-original person for so many good designs. Here's hoping next week is more successful for all of us

SkekTek

mia3mom wrote:well, don't forget to let us know when it's done.

In all that copious free time you have. ;)

This week was I am an un-original person for so many good designs. Here's hoping next week is more successful for all of us

This week was my worst week in a long time. Just didn't design well for whatever reason (I'll blame summer school).

This is the last week though, so free time, here I come!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SaritaBeth wrote:I don't get all the squawking over things being too cute, or being only what children wear. i think that is a matter of personal opinion and taste. what one person thinks is child-like, another person finds endearing.

Beacause there are only two ways of thinking: my absolutely correct reasoning and everybody else's wrongheaded brain farts. All a y'all's opinions are merely opinions, but my opinions are really inarguable facts. Anyone who disagrees with me is a great big doody head.

At least, that's how many posts sound to me...

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Beacause there are only two ways of thinking: my absolutely correct reasoning and everybody else's wrongheaded brain farts. All a y'all's opinions are merely opinions, but my opinions are really inarguable facts. Anyone who disagrees with me is a great big doody head.

YOU ARE SO WRONG! GEEZ.

or so they say...

no1

Josephus wrote:YOU ARE SO WRONG! GEEZ.

or so they say...

Dr. J,

You are a great big doody head.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
SkekTek wrote:Originally yes, but I don't think it is in the style normally picked by Woot. So I thought perhaps threadless since they've got a history of funny shirts with text getting printed. I'll also look at uneetee as suggested.

I don't know, they've been experimenting with styles lately. I never know what to expect for the daily anymore. Chances are, you'll have better luck at other sites, but if woot turns it away, you can immediately take it elsewhere, right? (Unlike the derbies?)

SaritaBeth

no1 wrote:Beacause there are only two ways of thinking: my absolutely correct reasoning and everybody else's wrongheaded brain farts. All a y'all's opinions are merely opinions, but my opinions are really inarguable facts. Anyone who disagrees with me is a great big doody head.

hahahahaha. well, in this one thing, I would have to bow to your inarguable fact. cause thats how many of them sound to me too. kinda amazes me how many threads degenerate into a middle school version of "uh uh!! ya huh!! uh UH!!! YA HUH!! your mother wears army boots!! I know you are but what am I?" kind if discussions. don't get me wrong..love a good debate. but..but...wow. when it just sounds like something my 13 year old would say when he can't argue anymore with being grounded- I just gotta laugh and laugh and laugh.

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

SaritaBeth wrote: when it just sounds like something my 13 year old would say when he can't argue anymore with being grounded- I just gotta laugh and laugh and laugh.

Oh, then you've stumbled into the Def Comedy Jam of the Internetz!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
PemberDucky wrote:Oh, then you've stumbled into the Def Comedy Jam of the Internetz!

No, it's not the Def Comedy Jam at all. It's clearly the Last Comic Standing of the Internetz.

PemberDucky

Staff

kenney9226 wrote:No, it's not the Def Comedy Jam at all. It's clearly the Last Comic Standing of the Internetz.

Point well-taken.

kenney9226

PemberDucky wrote:Point well-taken.

I bet someone else will come in and tell us we're both wrong!

Or someone will come in and tell me that I had a bad reason why you were wrong, and thus put both of us down in one big extravaganza of negativity!

kenney9226

I sure will be happy tomorrow at this time when I can finally stop slicing this one piece of stale bread in my signature!

no1

kenney9226 wrote:I bet someone else will come in and tell us we're both wrong!

Or someone will come in and tell me that I had a bad reason why you were wrong, and thus put both of us down in one big extravaganza of negativity!

You're both right, it's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

kenney9226

no1 wrote:You're both right, it's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

ooh, words that hurt more than a fist. ouch.

no1

kenney9226 wrote:I sure will be happy tomorrow at this time when I can finally stop slicing this one piece of stale bread in my signature!

Mrs. 1 and I really enjoy "slicing the bread".

Rowlf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rowlf
no1 wrote:Mrs. 1 and I really enjoy "slicing the bread".

Is that anything like taking the skin boat to tuna town?

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

new shirt template, wrinkles tutorial. Psd and png files
here

SkekTek

jamescho84 wrote:new shirt template, wrinkles tutorial. Psd and png files
here

I have said it before, and I say it again: YOU ROCK sir. I really want the squirrel design this week.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:ooh, words that hurt more than a fist. ouch.

Happy Manhattan Thursday!!! Okay, I'm starting early (it was a long day), but in the Christmas Islands, it's 10:21 AM tomorrow.

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Happy Manhattan Thursday!!! Okay, I'm starting early (it was a long day), but in the Christmas Islands, it's 10:21 AM tomorrow.

throw one back for me!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Dr. J,

You are a great big doody head.

I know you are, but what am I?

mia3mom

SkekTek wrote:I have said it before, and I say it again: YOU ROCK sir. I really want the squirrel design this week.

totally agreeing with skek. thank you thank you thank you

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:throw one back for me!

Sure thing, Pember... as soon as the wee ones go to bed, I'll toast ya.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Sure thing, Pember... as soon as the wee ones go to bed, I'll toast ya.

Mr. Toast?

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:Mr. Toast?

Never got that shirt when it was for sale. Pity, since it was cool. But I have enough dark shirts.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Never got that shirt when it was for sale. Pity, since it was cool. But I have enough dark shirts.

I didn't either, though it was extremely tempting. I just don't like toast enough for it, I think. But I might have to get Fablefire's toaster bats if they make it on Threadless.

So my computer mysteriously died yesterday. When I restarted, it blue screened. Twice in a row, in fact. Third time was a charm though and my computer seems to be ok again... but to be safe, I went out today and bought an external drive. I backed up most of my files and am planning to buy (or build) a new computer in a month or two.

I'm going to have to uninstall my CS3 suite though. Something like that. It's a student version and I can only install it on a single computer. There's some sort of voodoo magic I have to use to get my serial number back so I can install it somewhere else.

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:I didn't either, though it was extremely tempting. I just don't like toast enough for it, I think. But I might have to get Fablefire's toaster bats if they make it on Threadless.

So my computer mysteriously died yesterday. When I restarted, it blue screened. Twice in a row, in fact. Third time was a charm though and my computer seems to be ok again... but to be safe, I went out today and bought an external drive. I backed up most of my files and am planning to buy (or build) a new computer in a month or two.

I'm going to have to uninstall my CS3 suite though. Something like that. It's a student version and I can only install it on a single computer. There's some sort of voodoo magic I have to use to get my serial number back to I can install it somewhere else.

Quick response: Yeah, you have to unregister it on computer a, then install and register it on computer b. It's a pain in the arse, but I had to do it twice for CS2 suite and it worked both times.

Longer issues: Back up back up back up! We had two computers that up and died randomly, and one costs us $400 to recover. The other wasn't a big deal since we had a WD external backup. Definitely cheaper, and makes a nice media hard drive.

I haven't bought a shirt from woot in a while (before random, I think the last one was jimiyo's unicorn/the plant double bill).

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Quick response: Yeah, you have to unregister it on computer a, then install and register it on computer b. It's a pain in the arse, but I had to do it twice for CS2 suite and it worked both times.

Longer issues: Back up back up back up! We had two computers that up and died randomly, and one costs us $400 to recover. The other wasn't a big deal since we had a WD external backup. Definitely cheaper, and makes a nice media hard drive.

I haven't bought a shirt from woot in a while (before random, I think the last one was jimiyo's unicorn/the plant double bill).

If my computer up and dies for good before I get a chance to unregister, do you think Adobe would be nice enough to help me out, or would I have to pay again? That would be really sad.

There was a nice little ext. hard drive at future shop. 20 gigs, around $65 (I think) and tiny. I'm considering picking one up, since I don't even have a USB key right now.

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:If my computer up and dies for good before I get a chance to unregister, do you think Adobe would be nice enough to help me out, or would I have to pay again? That would be really sad.

There was a nice little ext. hard drive at future shop. 20 gigs, around $65 (I think) and tiny. I'm considering picking one up, since I don't even have a USB key right now.

They usually are pretty cool with that. If you try to install on system B and it says your licenses are all used (1 in your case), they give you a number to call if I remember. Just tell them the computer is deceased, and you need the license information to put it on another computer. If you registered right the first time, they'll usually be more than generous to allow the transfer.

You should be able to do beter than 20 gigs for $65. Newegg.com has tons of 80-120GB for about the same price, and many of their drives have free shipping (and no tax if you're not in NJ). I have an older version of this one. Might be overkill for you, but for me with lectures, publications, and all that digital media, it's about right (500GB). it's $140.

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:They usually are pretty cool with that. If you try to install on system B and it says your licenses are all used (1 in your case), they give you a number to call if I remember. Just tell them the computer is deceased, and you need the license information to put it on another computer. If you registered right the first time, they'll usually be more than generous to allow the transfer.

You should be able to do beter than 20 gigs for $65. Newegg.com has tons of 80-120GB for about the same price, and many of their drives have free shipping (and no tax if you're not in NJ). I have an older version of this one. Might be overkill for you, but for me with lectures, publications, and all that digital media, it's about right (500GB). it's $140.

I love Adobe.

Oh, I already picked up a 500GB drive (by comstar - I hope that's a good company) for just a little over $100. It was on sale! I just mentioned the small 20 gig because it looked handy for portability. It's not much larger than a USB key (or thumb drive, whatever you prefer) and it's better for the space/price.

no1

eHalcyon wrote:I love Adobe.

Oh, I already picked up a 500GB drive (by comstar - I hope that's a good company) for just a little over $100. It was on sale! I just mentioned the small 20 gig because it looked handy for portability. It's not much larger than a USB key (or thumb drive, whatever you prefer) and it's better for the space/price.

This one?

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:I love Adobe.

Oh really? Wow! Didn't think they made sticks that large. Then I stand corrected- that IS a good deal (heck of a lot cheaper than an iPod or Nano). I have a 2 Gig USB, and that's plenty portable for me (I have the luxury of having network storage at work that's easily accessible via FTP though).

I love Illustrator (I seem to be one of the few that work exclusively in that program and only use Photoshop for comps). But I have a hard time remembering to save CS3 stuff as CS2 since I have 2 at home only Otherwise, the shirt design opens but the shirt coverts as a clipping mask :O

The only thing I hate is the clickable online button at the top of the toolbar. At least one time a day I accidentally click it by mistake. Haven't found a way to disable it, since it's pretty much useless.

SaritaBeth

I add to the Cho rocks sentiments. so cool and thank you! for everything, including the tutorial!

I had an awesome 60gb stick. loved it. but can't find it for a year now. T___T which sucked cause I had a lot of very cool things on it. I bought it on sale at staples for less than 40 bucks, about 5 years ago or so. its the only problem I have with the portable stick stuff..is too easy to lose. u_u i have a 250gb external drive now that is very helpful. I just cleaned up my laptop and transfered a bunch of stuff to it. helps to keep the comp running better if I don't clutter it up with a million files. of course, the S.O. takes it to an extreme and I swear reformats his hard drives weekly just about. makes me crazy. he screwed up my last computer royally doing that. ROTFL

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

SkekTek

Note to everyone (non shirt related):

Mark July 12th down in your calendars. It's Woot's birthday, and they usually have a Blushing Over Compliments that sells at 1 AM... Only mentioning it now since I'm putting it in my calendar at the moment.