jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

Hey fellas. A lot of you have been asking about the shirt comp I was using - so instead of individually sending you the file, i made it a little easier by making all the colors. Also if you're interested - I painted the wrinkles in a separate folder in the psd file if you wanted to experiment in putting highlights/wrinkles on your design. {i've also included a tutorial on the bottom of this post.

You can find the psd of the shirts here: Shirt Comp Zip
Can't open a psd? Here are transparent .png files {note: you cannot view transparencies in internet explorer, save and open in your graphics program to see transperancy}

Right Click to Save

Tutorial for Wrinkles n Highlights
Alright, so you want to try putting some highlights/wrinkles on your design. Here's what you gotta do.

1. Open up the .psd {_wootshirtcomp.psd}
2. You'll see a folder in the psd called "wrinkles" - Click on the side arrow to expand the folder
3. Start a new document {Ctrl+N for PC, Command+N for Mac} This will be your comp document, so make it 600x600 pxl @ 72dpi.
4. From the _wootshirtcomp.psd document, drag the layer "_shadow" that was inside your expanded "wrinkles" folder into your new document.
http://www.jcho.net/tutorial_01.jpg
[STAFF: Picture seems gone now]
So far, your new document should look something like this above.
5. Next, go back to your {_wootshirtcomp.psd} document, and Click and drag the layer that contains the shirt color you're using underneath your _shadow layer in the new document.
http://www.jcho.net/tutorial_02.jpg
So far, your new document should look something like this above. Make sure you position the shirt color layer right below the _shadows layer so they match up perfectly.
6. Copy and paste your design in below your _shadow layer, but above your shirt layer.

a. Now, Hold Ctrl and click on your design layer to wrapselect whats in that layer Command and Click for Mac
b. Go up to Menu at the top Select > Inverse This inverts the selection you made
c. Click on your _shadow layer, and go up to Edit > Cut Or Ctrl+X , Command+X for short

7. Now you only have the wrinkles on your design, without affecting the shirt wrinkles which already exist on the shirt layer. You can play around with the opacity and fill amount in your layers palette to get the desired effect.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 with the Highlights layer from the {_wootshirtcomp.psd} document. Make sure you place the highlights layer on top of your design. Try using different blending modes with the highlights, though I find Color Dodge {set on default} to be the best.
9. Outcome:
http://www.jcho.net/tutorial_04.jpg

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
jamescho84 wrote:wrinkly

Wow, great 'tute, Cho. Thanks!

banananosedstooge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banananosedstooge

why are these not woot shirts? woot shirts have skinny tags, not fat ones...

but it's nice you share.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
jamescho84 wrote:Hey fellas. A lot of you have been asking about the shirt comp I was using - so instead of individually sending you the file, i made it a little easier by making all the colors. Also if you're interested - I painted the wrinkles in a separate folder in the psd file if you wanted to experiment in putting highlights/wrinkles on your design. {i've also included a tutorial on the bottom of this post.

you're a generous guy, a cool person, great designer, and now a good teacher too? some people get all the luck.

thank you for sharing the file along with the explanation of how to use it. It's very much appreciated.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Thank you especially for putting in Woot tags and having such an accurate depiction of heather gray. I feel this will help my submissions immeasurably - and sometimes they need all the help they can get llo.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Cho, you are my hero. You are crazy awesome.

Now I'm wondering if these wrinkly shirts are actual photos, or if you just drew/painted them up yourself...

I haven't tried adding shadows and highlights on top of the designs yet, but with your handy tutorial and file, I'll give it a whirl soon.

For anyone interested in keyboard shortcuts, you can invert selections (step 6b) with ctrl+shift+I.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

'nuff said.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

why would you want to put a design on a wrinkley t shirt? just a question.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
TAYLORT5 wrote:why would you want to put a design on a wrinkley t shirt? just a question.

The reason I like to use a wrinkled shirt is that it looks more realistic. It gives the look of how my shirt would actually look if it was printed, instead of how it looks as a web graphic in a goofy black outline (sorry Woot, but your official templates aren't realistic enough for my tastes).

Other people get the same effect from putting their designs on a model of a person, but I've started to avoid that because the wrinkled shirt is more of a blank slate- using a model makes clear gender, race and size implications for your expected audience. I'd rather make it easier for *everyone* to picture themselves wearing my design.

Plus, I've used just about every type of shirt comp there is, and putting them side by side, this is the style that looks the best to me. Your mileage may vary

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

I love you man....seriously, I love you.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Andy47240 wrote:I love you man....seriously, I love you.

get a ring,and get in line...

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for putting this together!

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

appreciate the nice comments folks. I wasn't the original creator of the template, someone from emptees linked it to me, but i believe this was originally created by abercrombie. I might be wrong. Enjoy though, and thanks

SkekTek

Okay, I'm slow and not used to using Photoshop for anything other than very basic comp work. What is "wrapselect"? Never heard of it. I control-click on my design layer in the layers list (the right side), it deselects it. If I control-click on the design itself, nothing appears to happen. Either case, there's nothing to invert. Am I supposed to have some tool clicked first?

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Okay, I'm slow and not used to using Photoshop for anything other than very basic comp work. What is "wrapselect"? Never heard of it. I control-click on my design layer in the layers list (the right side), it deselects it. If I control-click on the design itself, nothing appears to happen. Either case, there's nothing to invert. Am I supposed to have some tool clicked first?

In the layers palette, each layer is displayed in two columns. The first column contains an image of an eyeball, which controls whether that layer is visible or not. The second column has a thumbnail of the layer's contents and the layer name. ctrl+click the thumbnail to wrap-select (I didn't know it was called that - thanks Cho).

Wrap-select creates a selection around all of the layer's contents. You can play around with layer selections by using alt and shift as well.

If you already have a selection active, ctrl+alt+click to subtract from selection, ctrl+shift+click to add, and ctrl+alt+shift+click to select the intersection. None of that has relevance to Cho's tutorial, but that's what I do to pull together print-ready files from my ridiculous work files. I abuse layers.

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:In the layers palette, each layer is displayed in two columns. The first column contains an image of an eyeball, which controls whether that layer is visible or not. The second column has a thumbnail of the layer's contents and the layer name. ctrl+click the thumbnail to wrap-select (I didn't know it was called that - thanks Cho).

Wrap-select creates a selection around all of the layer's contents. You can play around with layer selections by using alt and shift as well.

If you already have a selection active, ctrl+alt+click to subtract from selection, ctrl+shift+click to add, and ctrl+alt+shift+click to select the intersection. None of that has relevance to Cho's tutorial, but that's what I do to pull together print-ready files from my ridiculous work files. I abuse layers.

Belated 2 months thanks, eH!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Bump

xtinaftw

quality posts: 21 Private Messages xtinaftw

Seems like over time some people accidentally alter the color of the shirt comps or something, so I put together this jpg (using Cho's awesome template!) and put blobs of color taken from the woot official template over each one. Hopefully this can help as a quick color-check for people to avoid the rejectionator since the woot template is so huge and a pain to open.

Also, here's a tip that some people might want to use:

What I did a while back was I opened the woot template and saved each color as a swatch at the bottom of my Pantone colors so that I wouldn't have to constantly double check them. (But now YOU, good reader, don't have to open the woot template, you can just sample the colors from the blobs on this jpg!)

Good luck!

strawberryicee

quality posts: 12 Private Messages strawberryicee

is purple abolished?

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
strawberryicee wrote:is purple abolished?

I do not know if purple was ever a color here offered at Woot, but I do know it is not offered now.

eHalcyon

binkdrop wrote:I do not know if purple was ever a color here offered at Woot, but I do know it is not offered now.

It's never been offered. Fingers crossed for the future though.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

BOUNCE!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
eHalcyon wrote:In the layers palette, each layer is displayed in two columns. The first column contains an image of an eyeball, which controls whether that layer is visible or not. The second column has a thumbnail of the layer's contents and the layer name. ctrl+click the thumbnail to wrap-select (I didn't know it was called that - thanks Cho).

Replying to bump this into view, AND to say THANKS! I abuse layers, too, and this hidden nugget of how-toism, might help a lot.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

The original link at the top of the page appears to be dead, so here are two more locations for the same template file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zc7hal8d8l30bi8
http://www.4shared.com/file/BKmrS-eL/_wootshirtcomp.html

kcls

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcls
sTyLeS wrote:The original link at the top of the page appears to be dead, so here are two more locations for the same template file:

When I download the files from those links, the PS document opens as a blank square with no layers and filled with the color code "dadada".

Zagazoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zagazoo

Is the link for the psd file broken? It keeps sending me to one of those questionable search sites. If it is there somewhere else I can download it?

kcls

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcls
Zagazoo wrote:Is the link for the psd file broken? It keeps sending me to one of those questionable search sites. If it is there somewhere else I can download it?

These are a couple of places you can get them, but it seems like whenever I open them all that the psd doc is is a blank square.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Zagazoo wrote:Is the link for the psd file broken? It keeps sending me to one of those questionable search sites. If it is there somewhere else I can download it?

You guys are free to use my template if you want. I didn't create it for woot specifically, so there are more color options than woot has, and the colors might be slightly off woot's template (but they're close):

Template of Destiny

kaedex99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaedex99
sTyLeS wrote:The original link at the top of the page appears to be dead, so here are two more locations for the same template file:

Thanks for the re-link. I had no trouble getting it from mediafire. And, even though it was years ago: I appreciate the guy who took the time to write the tutorial. I'm an Illustrator baby; the extra hand-holding to do this in Photoshop was a big help. -:]

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Thanks! just found this.

Nothing follows.

grisca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grisca
taternuggets wrote:Thanks! just found this.

Remember that there was a change in the available official t-shirt-colours (off the top of my head: no heather grey and orange any more, and silver and slate instead).

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

They also updated the colors to use, and templates that don't match up to the officials ones will be rejectionated.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

Does anyone have an updated woot-color-approved template?

susiewoots

quality posts: 16 Private Messages susiewoots

I just wanted to say that the mediafire link works beautifully. It goes along with the tutorial for adding shadows and highlights as well. Thanks for all the help keeping this thread going for all the newbies! <3 <3

tessderpervilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tessderpervilles

I'm having a problem with Woot's 2011 template and PS7.
Whenever I try to save the psd (or jpg, or PDF, or anything, really) I get an error "Could not complete your request due to a program error"
I don't have this problem with BootsBoots' or JamesCho's templates.

Anyone else encounter this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

sinaleon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sinaleon

Hey,

know somebody, if it is possible to use that template in a commercial purpose. Or where can I ask the licence agreement?

thank you ...

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

bump

that was fun while it lasted!

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

To assist in this endeavor, I have hosted the zip file on my own site. It's a straight download, no gimmicks. I'm just trying to give back a little.

http://www.dolemite.com/woot/_wootshirtcomp.zip

alicenoblegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alicenoblegirl

Nice shirt.

xtinaftw

quality posts: 21 Private Messages xtinaftw
Dolemite wrote:To assist in this endeavor, I have hosted the zip file on my own site. It's a straight download, no gimmicks. I'm just trying to give back a little.

http://www.dolemite.com/woot/_wootshirtcomp.zip

Lifesaver! None of the other links appear to be working any more. Thanks a ton!