papermichael64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages papermichael64

This shirt tells the world: “This is no time to worry about the correct spelling of ‘iceberg’!”

Is that really considered a "typo"?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
dewittc wrote:Just one more shirt with stupid text ... & they reject Mendi Butterflies because of a squiggle that looks vaguely like text... go figure. Just give us the lighthouse & maybe we'll quit whining!

The rejection for text was because it was a derby rule. This is a daily, so it's not the same. Also, it wasn't just a textish squiggle - it was the character "ohm", which counts as text by Woot's definition, and has been shown to count in the past (I'm thinking of enin's entry in the Text as Art derby).

The unfairness in the rejection comes from the fact that the rejection was based on an in-progress image. The final design did not contain the ohm character and was text-free.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

baileya82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baileya82

yes its misspelled. we live in a society of people who think b/c=because and 4gt=forget. i really doubt it will make a difference. i still bought it because it made me laugh.

antonious13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages antonious13

wocka wocka

very funny, but I wouldnt wear it

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

Cool shirt. I'm of the opinion that anything which could be expressed as a pun, should be. I know woot's made some minor design modifications in the past; maybe the print folks could copy that first 'e', vectorize it, slide it over that 'u', and ramp up the cash floe.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
haxrox wrote:Cool shirt. I'm of the opinion that anything which could be expressed as a pun, should be. I know woot's made some minor design modifications in the past; maybe the print folks could copy that first 'e', vectorize it, slide it over that 'u', and ramp up the cash floe.

Given the description, I doubt they will. The themselves point out the misspelling.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

weisserj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weisserj

(groans at terrible pun)

pretty creative nonetheless...

uofawildcatsgal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uofawildcatsgal
lheiskell wrote:Lettuce hope tomorrow's t-shirt design is a shore winner.

that's funny. The shirt is great, it's the royal blue that troubles me. I will probably buy. It's really funny.

chefjef

quality posts: 10 Private Messages chefjef

remove the text and i'd buy one

I still have 4 bottles of Humbug resting gently in my cellar =)

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
kindergartencow wrote:I know I haven't been a "wooter" long enough to have an opinion.. but not only is it spelled wrong, but it's using a tragedy as a basis for a joke.. which I don't really agree with..

no worse than that joke of a movie

suzyottomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic
hbkdinobot wrote:I'm a noob here, but I get the impression that woot does whatever they want to do and doesn't really care what we think or what we want to buy. Oh well. I still like a lot of the shirts here.

Look at the sales from last nights randoms. It'll knock your socks off. Darn right they do what they wanna do.

adavidw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adavidw
kindergartencow wrote:I know I haven't been a "wooter" long enough to have an opinion.. but not only is it spelled wrong, but it's using a tragedy as a basis for a joke.. which I don't really agree with..

You're right, it is a little too soon. I've always maintained that tragedy doesn't turn to comedy until at least 97 years have passed.

-Aaron

simple20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simple20

Does anybody know where I can see this lighthouse design?

Makalohee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Makalohee

eff all these pun shirts!!!

and AGAIN I am worried that I have given my credit card number to a company that apparently can't spell to save their lives.

Makalohee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Makalohee

it...is...terrible

joshuastmarie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuastmarie

itd be perfect with no text =(

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 11 Private Messages fleamarketadict

Even shirt.woot knows where this shirt is going to end up. If you go to the stats page for yesterdays random shirt sale and click on the number (5953), it takes you to this shirt! Speaking of yesterday's randoms - how did they end up with 10,000+ too many shirts?

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 11 Private Messages fleamarketadict
simple20 wrote:Does anybody know where I can see this lighthouse design?

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17686

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

beruo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beruo
Makalohee wrote:eff all these pun shirts!!!

and AGAIN I am worried that I have given my credit card number to a company that apparently can't spell to save their lives.

Good point on the financial info! :D I'm not a complainer by nature but [complain]not too big a fan of the puns.[/complain] Can't wait to see how many wooters in the next random shirt woot get a box of these misprints.

rrot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrot

Misspelled? Check.
Groaning 'humor?' Check.
Worst t-shirt ever? It's in the running, certainly.

Also, the wrong percentage of the 'burg [sic] is above water...

KrisC65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KrisC65

Please, just print a couple of shirts without useless text on them. If I wanted a shirt that said something stupid, I could just go to the mall and hit up that awful Hot Topic place or something. Honestly, this site only takes about 20 seconds out of my day, but the last month or so is making me feel like its a waste of time.

Please print something that people over the age of 12 can wear, thanks.

TurboGraphx16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16

It's a clever concept, but not something I would wear ...

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
TurboGraphx16 wrote:It's a clever concept, but not something I would wear ...

Congratulations SBR! I agree with TG...not the right shirt for me, but I can appreciate the humor. Let's see something from TW, too!

nistco92

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nistco92

all aboard the failboat!

sidecarsally

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sidecarsally

definitely in for one.

sidecarsally

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sidecarsally
nistco92 wrote:all aboard the failboat!

you're the captain of it.

lotusville

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lotusville

hmmm, I don't get it ;[

daftvillain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daftvillain

Yehk, I always double post... Please delete this >_<, sorry.

daftvillain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daftvillain

It's been said before, but this shirt would actually be cool without any text.

It's like running up to someone you don't know and slapping them, but 5 seconds after they recover you tell them "You just got slapped!" and apologize before walking off. It just detracts from something that would have otherwise been more funny.

jmblya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmblya

I think this shirt is pretty funny, but the more I dwell on the misspelling the less I want to buy it.

I'll have to think it over.

"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...

ugrasse2

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ugrasse2
WalkingSnake wrote:I probably would've bought it if it didn't have the text. I don't understand why "Iceberg" is misspelled.

Probably because the artist and the woot staff didn't know better. If it was spelled right, I'd be in for two. As it is, now there's even less of a chance of me getting in on the random shirt action next time...

blvoit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blvoit

Har! You're funny too! I like this shirt!

aercires

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aercires

that is absolutely hilarious!

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
Lhezzza wrote:Love it!

Look out for the 1,000 Island(s)!!!

:-)

As the guy who wrote the sales description for this shirt, let me say:

I am jealous that you thought of "Thousand Islands" and I didn't. Nice work.

mrrrralicious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrrrralicious

Ummm though it might be a typo, did any one think it might be another layer of joke?

Lettuce= iceberg

Ice = iceberg

A town at which the ship is coming to port = iceburg (like hamburg or any other 'burg')

Just an idea....

wootzupdoc00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootzupdoc00

Now that is just silly! I think that maybe the artist spelled "iceberg" incorrectly on purpose. Apparently there are some artificial iceberg pictures in entertainment and the producers intentionally spell it "iceburg" as a joke because they aren't real. If you wear this shirt however, I'm sure a bunch of snotty know-it-all's will walk up to you and say "hey, did you know that your shirt has a spelling error on it". so.....

wootzupdoc00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootzupdoc00

llo..btw... I didn't mean that your comment was silly mrrrralicious..I meant the design of the shirt. After I read my comment I noticed that it looked like a was being mean... The design is drawn well though.

flipmeister

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flipmeister
JCamp4321 wrote:Oh, I get it...

Lettuce rejoice in such wit!

you people and your wit... i tell ya. funny though

[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]

dwarf74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwarf74

Looks like they are fixing the mis-spelling on the actual shirts.

Now.... whether or not to buy....

flystorms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flystorms

You guys really like that ugly lighthouse? UGH!

The shirt today is hilarious! It's so sad to see that there are so many that don't enjoy good puns. Sigh...

I'm in for one.