kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
CAMMS wrote:WTG, Woot, correcting the spelling error!

I've never really understood the aversion to text on t-shirts but this is the first time I've thought I would prefer the shirt without the text. Having just returned from a cruise to Alaska, I kinda like this shirt. I can't believe I am actually on the fence due to the text. At least I now understand the text haters, though.

I think the the text is superfluous. The shirt would be funnier without it. It would be a stop -- think-- comprehend -- laugh kind of thing.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:I think the the text is superfluous. The shirt would be funnier without it. It would be a stop -- think-- comprehend -- laugh kind of thing.

Ugh, no way! The text IS what makes it good. Imagine if it was just a ship about to run into a head of iceberg lettuce! THAT would a groaner of a pun, something you'd see in the derby probably with 10 votes. The humor comes in the fact that it's plussed with very clever wordplay, "Iceberg, a head." This is not a groaner, it's downright genius. I can't imagine why people would want to drop the text. Not all text is bad if it offers something to the design. This text MAKES the design, people.

maxpospischil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maxpospischil

In for one!!!!

lotusville

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lotusville

How can anyone spell iceburg wrong????

... OH Manos, the Hands of Fate! ;[

CAMMS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CAMMS
tgentry wrote:Ugh, no way! The text IS what makes it good. Imagine if it was just a ship about to run into a head of iceberg lettuce! THAT would a groaner of a pun, something you'd see in the derby probably with 10 votes. The humor comes in the fact that it's plussed with very clever wordplay, "Iceberg, a head." This is not a groaner, it's downright genius. I can't imagine why people would want to drop the text. Not all text is bad if it offers something to the design. This text MAKES the design, people.

I will admit, the "a head" is clever and no one is more surprised than I am about my not caring for the text in this instance. Regardless, it is a GREAT shirt.

firecat1968

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firecat1968

Now that they have fixed the spelling, I LOVE THIS SHIRT!!! In for one.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
tgentry wrote:Ugh, no way! The text IS what makes it good. Imagine if it was just a ship about to run into a head of iceberg lettuce! THAT would a groaner of a pun, something you'd see in the derby probably with 10 votes. The humor comes in the fact that it's plussed with very clever wordplay, "Iceberg, a head." This is not a groaner, it's downright genius. I can't imagine why people would want to drop the text. Not all text is bad if it offers something to the design. This text MAKES the design, people.

Agreed 100%. Great shirt, Paige!

mollib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollib

BTW, for the "oh this is so sad and we can't make fun of a tragedy" crowd - nowhere (not when I looked at least) does it actually say the ship is The Titanic. So who's to say the boat doesn't miss the iceberg? They did see it after all - maybe they were able to avoid it.

ritsuke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ritsuke

I can definitely see where you're coming from and agree.

In the end, I think I'm just not a big fan of text written in a bubble, for a shirt.

For a print, not so bad, but personal taste dictates no text bubbles on a shirt; even if removing it lessens the overall cleverness. My loss, I know. :-)

racinreaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages racinreaver
This shirt tells the world: “This is no time to worry about the correct spelling of ‘iceberg’!”

Love it! If I didn't just buy three randoms yesterday, I might have gone in for this one.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
eHalcyon wrote:The rejection for text was because it was a derby rule. This is a daily, so it's not the same. Also, it wasn't just a textish squiggle - it was the character "ohm", which counts as text by Woot's definition, and has been shown to count in the past (I'm thinking of enin's entry in the Text as Art derby).

The unfairness in the rejection comes from the fact that the rejection was based on an in-progress image. The final design did not contain the ohm character and was text-free.

by woots own words they wanted us to grow out of it(text on a shirt designs) i was wondering is woot would do the same.
derby 25:No text this time. We'd rather not sell three slogan shirts next weekend.

derby 32: Finally, no text. Let's throw that crutch away and walk upright.
37:No text this week, and that includes no dollar signs, cents signs, pound signs, or any other currency symbols.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc
parkermc wrote:I would've loved this if not for the misspelled word. Ah, well.

I don't suppose Woot would bother fixing this before the first printing, would they? Probably not.

I stand corrected! They did indeed fix the spelling.

And I happily bought a shirt.

Produceboy1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Produceboy1965

I'm in for one. It'll be a hit at work.

geekfactor12

TAYLORT5 wrote:by woots own words they wanted us to grow out of it(text on a shirt designs) i was wondering is woot would do the same.
derby 25:No text this time. We'd rather not sell three slogan shirts next weekend.

derby 32: Finally, no text. Let's throw that crutch away and walk upright.
37:No text this week, and that includes no dollar signs, cents signs, pound signs, or any other currency symbols.

Bear in mind that Woot could easily like text on shirts, but dislike the type of text shirts that tend to win the derby. To me, that line "we'd rather not sell three slogan shirts" says it all- these recent shirts have had text, but were also supported by some great illustration. The text enhances the design instead of BEING the design, and I think that makes a huge difference.

(Also, while you're quoting lines from the no-text derby, bear in mind that the Slogan derby with no art allowed was also very recent- I think they just want some variety.)

johncreillyphile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johncreillyphile
wootzupdoc00 wrote:I think that perhaps the difference is that the holocaust was a terrible tragedy caused by the dark hearts of evil men/women. The titanic was an unfortunate event caused by an act of nature so to speak, so they were able to make a romantic blockbuster out of it years later and a cool funny shirt on woot. However, the holocaust, 911, or any other hate-filled even will NEVER be funny....unless you are a complete psychopath.

Right! My grandfather is a holocaust survivor and it affects him to this day. He still will not walk in to a gas chamber.

geekfactor12

johncreillyphile wrote:He still will not walk in to a gas chamber.

I suspect that is true for most people.

aoviss

quality posts: 23 Private Messages aoviss

Theres a "leek" joke in here somewhere.

Not for me. Nope. 1-laugh shirts shouldnt be shirts.

SilverTerv

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SilverTerv

late in the thread, so no one will probably notice; tried to get this posted earlier, but had computer glitches. Taking the pun to another level: a "burg" is a small town. Surely there was a head lettuce "burg" ahead... with only the first "head" visible, and others bobbing in the distance, not visible in the graphic. "Ice burg/iceberg" "a head/ahead" - you can really play with those words.

wonder what the artist selected as the original spelling?

it would have made the shirt funny/clever on more than just the easy or blatant levels. Getting caught on the apparent misspelling would separate the associational chainers from the linear sequentials (or vice versa).

aoviss

johncreillyphile wrote:Right! My grandfather is a holocaust survivor and it affects him to this day. He still will not walk in to a gas chamber.

My friend's dad was in Auschwitz, and was pardoned by Hitler himself. NOT kidding.

Sidenote: His dads childhood friend grew up to be Pope. No, the one that just died. I'm not Catholic so I don't know.

Those facts dont make Speilberg and others filthy rich, though.

wait, why am I wooting about this?

aoviss

geekfactor12 wrote: these recent shirts have had text, but were also supported by some great illustration.

I call MULLIGAN on the "Out of Office" shirt. I've seen better stuff in my cats ears when I got them from the barn as diseased and abandoned kittens.

Schupo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Schupo
kindergartencow wrote:I like to think a tragedy should never really be used as a comedy.
So how long does it take for the holocaust to become t-shirt material?

The level of tragedy is directly proportional to the amount of time it takes to make a joke about it.

tgentry

Staff

Sell out, a head! Nicely done SBR.

Donald386

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Donald386

I got one, then I regretted it a few minutes later. Is there a way to cancel an order before it goes through?

www.youtube.com/brownwigproductions

Orochisabin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Orochisabin
johncreillyphile wrote:Right! My grandfather is a holocaust survivor and it affects him to this day. He still will not walk in to a gas chamber.

Yes, I too would find myself reluctant to walk into gas chambers had I been present during the holocaust.

...Wait, what?

Sirguynate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Sirguynate

WoW, this shirt is really about to sell out..

well ... Jeeze, obviously an Awesome design.

testure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages testure

this would have been 50x better without the obvious 'Iceberg' callout... Rule #1 for telling jokes or making puns- never spell it out for the idiots, let them figure it out on their own.

So long story short, I'll pass on this one.

WalkingSnake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalkingSnake
testure wrote:this would have been 50x better without the obvious 'Iceberg' callout... Rule #1 for telling jokes or making puns- never spell it out for the idiots, let them figure it out on their own.

So long story short, I'll pass on this one.

I completely agree. It's like explaining the joke after you've made it.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
testure wrote:this would have been 50x better without the obvious 'Iceberg' callout... Rule #1 for telling jokes or making puns- never spell it out for the idiots, let them figure it out on their own.

Except when idiots harass you to explain the meaning of your shirt to them, which I have had to endure at least once.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
WalkingSnake wrote:I completely agree. It's like explaining the joke after you've made it.

But while the text explains the joke, it also adds another layer to the joke.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

MastaHanky

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MastaHanky
eHalcyon wrote:But while the text explains the joke, it also adds another layer to the joke.

I agree. The "Iceberg" isn't necessarily the funny part, but rather the "a head". As someone noted earlier - two puns in one. I think this shirt works both with and without the text, but the "a head" part of the text is what really makes this work exceptionally well.

Congrats on the sell-out.

Magentian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Magentian

Oh, thank God it sold out.

I've been so tempted ALL DAY.

I think it's the adorable font face, or just the excruciating pun... Gah.

Great job on the print - and the sellout! Congrats. :3

rvanvl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvanvl

I know Wikipedia isn't the definition of all things, but they spell the lettuce variety also with the E - as does google. If you key in "iceburg lettuce' they say "did you mean iceberg lettuce"?

In fact, Wiki goes on to say: "However it has been humorously described by filmmaker John Waters in his humorous essay, 100 Things I Hate. He refers to iceberg lettuce as "the polyester of greens"."

So I think the spelling could possibly go either way in modern english...

suzyottomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic

Don't know if its been noted yet but woot did not misspell Iceberg. The artist did that one. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not, but I think they do a pretty good job if you can imagine what it must be like keeping their schedule straight.

mystixmind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mystixmind

Check it out iceberg lettuce . . . a drug?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050107.html

soothedbyrainfall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soothedbyrainfall

No one is more surprised than me that this sold out especially considering “The Horrifyingly Embarrassing Spelling Error of ‘08”. I can’t even claim that it was a typo as I hand drew the letters, yeesh. However, none of the 4 people I showed it to before it was featured on woot caught the error either which makes me feel a teensy bit better. I didn’t catch it myself until I checked the site at 4am the day it went up for sale and saw the write up, and this was as my husband as I were preparing to leave for a 10hr drive to visit my folks. So while blushing furiously and with a huge knot in my stomach I shot off a quick email to Joel with the corrected design file and then tried not to dwell too much on my shame during our road trip. Luckily, the good folks at woot made the correction and thus the shirt was saved, huzzah!

To the ‘not another pun shirt!’ people : I like to think of a good, groan-inducing pun as a comedic palette cleanser; while not something you’d want to ingest on a regular basis, they can still be quite satisfying from time to time.

To the ‘not another text shirt!’ people: This is my 4th woot shirt and the first one to have text. And yes, it really was necessary for the double word play to work.

And finally, to all who bought and/or supported this design and helped it to sell out: I thank you from the bottom of my hart…er, um…heart

soothedbyrainfall.net

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
soothedbyrainfall wrote:
To the ‘not another text shirt!’ people: This is my 4th woot shirt and the first one to have text. And yes, it really was necessary for the double word play to work.

I didn't realize Sci-Fi Weenie Roast was yours (and yes, I did have to go through the archives to figure out which one you were talking about as fourth... I recalled Shine and Snakes). Looks like you might have your biggest success on this one, too, which is well deserved at long last as one of the more unique derbyists. I've been tossing it around in my head, but I might have to end up with hoping for one in a random bag some time down the road.

sigaru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigaru
suzyottomatic wrote:Don't know if its been noted yet but woot did not misspell Iceberg. The artist did that one. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not, but I think they do a pretty good job if you can imagine what it must be like keeping their schedule straight.

[not arguing or anything, or opposing woot. i love woot.] while woot did not actually misspell the word, woot also did not notice before they posted. just saying. not complaining or anything.

sigaru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigaru
Magentian wrote:Oh, thank God it sold out.

I've been so tempted ALL DAY.

I think it's the adorable font face, or just the excruciating pun... Gah.

Great job on the print - and the sellout! Congrats. :3

you can still buy it for $5 more.... [do it, do it] l ol.

tgentry

Staff

Just got my copy. Perfect printing and my first blue shirt! It looks great! Thanks SBR.

bridget110

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bridget110

They noticed, they corrected. I will wear it with great enjoyment now.