+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Breaking Away

Breaking Away is a cycling term when a rider breaks from the rest of the pack and goes out on their own. With the Tour de France starting soon, I was inspired to do a Break Away design with a rider breaking from the peloton or chase group. Also a great design for those who remember the movie 'Breaking Away"...one of my favorites from the late seventies. Thank you for your vote!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: Defiant Flower Power!!!

Just an independent flower throwing off the shackles of oppression.

WeezTheJuice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WeezTheJuice
Re: Lone Rider

Many describe the sensation of riding a motorcycle as pure freedom, like there is nothing and nobody else, only you and the machine alone on the road – this is what I tried to capture. It feels almost as though you are restricted by nothing; not your responsibilities, your rational thoughts, or even sometimes the laws of physics : ) , complete independence. Going out for a solitary ride at night can provide much needed time away from everything and everyone. Vote if you like!

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Re: Tilting at Fossil Feuls

This is a parody of Picasso's famous depiction of Don Quixote. Instead of tilting at windmills, he's tilting at a powerplant. This represents a quest for independence from non renewable energy.

sadart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sadart
Re: Breaking Free

The former resident of this cage has broken free to begin his life of independence.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Autonomy

I may just have to buy this if it places.

1. It goes with spring-ATRON.
2. I'm in computer software engineering.

Hmmmmm. Good luck rg.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

emerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emerica
Re: First Flight

Yeah I wanna be the first to say this is VERY well done and I REALLY hope it stays in the fog to the end!
GMV!

erll, i'm ogg yo trsf snf dlrrp

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Joyride

When I first thought of this theme, I decided to focus on my first feeling of independence. Thinking about my experiences moving out, in college, moving back home, etc. could not capture that first feeling of independence, so I dove way back and thought about my bicycle. My bicycle and I were inseparable. I'd often just drop it off in the front yard ready instantly when I got back home to go back out again. Thank goodness I lived in a low-theft neighborhood. Sometimes, I'd perch my guinea pig on my shoulder or basket and ride with him out to the park to play. Obviously, I was an only child. So my bike riding excursions were important to me. I could get further than walking but I wasn't old enough to drive. We also had a grocery store near-by which allowed me to go, buy as much junk food as I could afford, load it onto my bike (sometimes two bags to a handlebar) and bike back home or out to my foresty-area to sit, think, and eat. I was lucky enough to live close to a school, (playground!) park, petting zoo, public pool, creek, grocery, books store, slushy palace, and a myriad of other stores/areas to make a girl feel independent. Since getting my drivers license, I have not biked as much, (but I still have a bike) but I still remember the fond memories of getting on my bike, going wherever I wanted, and often pushing the home-before-dark rule. To me, kids on bicycles are the essence of independence, and freedom.

Have you ever rode your bike up a hill, pushed off, and kicked up your feet while gliding down? It's a wonderful feeling of being all on your own, free in this beautiful world.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

carina83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carina83

Really like this design...glad you stuck with the brown on white. looks great! GMV

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb
Re: Consumerism, Hear me Roar!

Free yourself from consumerism!

I'm only human

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Untitled

Brilliant!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Off With His Nozzle!

Independence from gas and high gas costs...

Turbotuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Re: So Long Old Friend

"he is going to kill me!!"

"hey thats a good idea!!"

?? I lolllled.

Turbotuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Re: when the humans are away...

the cat doesn't appear to be doing very well...

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: My True Love Gave to Me ... Uh .... nevermind

My True Love Gave to Me ... nevermind.

When I heard Independence and Indepent, I thought about the 'empty nest' idea. I didn't want to do a traditional bird from nest design, or parents waving their kids off to college. So I thought about a slightly different take on the empty nest idea. We always hear of the phrase "A Partridge in a Pear Tree". It's the cornerstone of the song for the 12 days of Christmas. Starts the song and ends it. One (the partridge) is dependent on the other (the pear tree) in order to make the perfect first gift from 'my true love'. But, suppose the bird wants to assert its independence and break away from tradition. Here's a design for the bird flying from the pear tree gift. Well...we're always told it was the thought that counts. Drawn in a slightly sketchy, folk art style. Thank you for your vote.

badTchap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badTchap
Re: Encouraging Independence

Sometimes we can't wait to to on our own and free. Other times, all we need is a little push to begin our first steps to independence.

sadart

Re: Free as a Bird

This bird has broken free from captivity in a cage and is now living a life of independence.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: NO MORE BATTERIES!

Robots unite! Be independent from battery addiction!

2thFairy

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Inde-PANTS-Dance!

Even pants desire to break free from the bondage of our legs, hips, and waists. And when they gain their independence, just what will they do? The Inde-PANTS-Dance!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad... (Möbius strip edition)

Reminds me so much of xkcd.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

flamestamp13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamestamp13
Re: The Grape Escape

When you've gotta get away from the bunch and preserve your sanity, jam on a parachute and assert your independence.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Autonomy

If you ever see this happening, just hose the whole situation down with water and you should be ok.

Thanks for your votes, humans.

sadart

Re: Woohoo!

Happy, carefree and independent! Woohoo!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Is that an adult bird? It almost looks like a male or female bird leaving it's mate. I like the idea of first flight, but it's coming across to me like one partner is skipping out and leaving the other to tend to the nest.

2thFairy

Re: no strings attached

This is great!! (and I love that you put it on white!)

tbrosati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrosati
Re: Flower Revolution

This revolution will be groundbreaking!

ChrisRisse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRisse

the4bagger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the4bagger

Be independent, soar away from the flock. Stand out from the crowd...or um, fly out...Yeah, you get the idea...

Hope you all like it!

sadart

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=18272]I've

This lone cow has left the herd behind to live independently.

LadyChic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyChic
Re: Amish Rumspringa

Big Ups from Pennsylvania's Dutch country. I know it is a local thing but it is cool to witness.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Woman of the World

Independence in the form of a self-reliant woman is a very strong interpretation of the theme for me. Here she sits upon the world and looks out into the universe. The world is hers and there's no stopping her.

Thank you in advance for the votes!!!

LadyChic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyChic
Re: Rumspringa

More love from Amish country. This is not a live traced image.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: Joyride

Great idea and great color choice

sadart

Re: The First Step Toward Independence...

The first step toward independence is to think outside the box.

kuchiewoochie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kuchiewoochie
2thFairy wrote:Brilliant!!

i dont get it

gunstrike1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gunstrike1

this is one awesome design.

kuchiewoochie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kuchiewoochie
Re: Off With His Nozzle!

not your best, honestly. seems unfinished and vague