Kaija

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaija

Love it! GMV.

"Me like the Robert Downey Jr. of Cookies!" - Cookie Monster on the Colbert Report.

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
Re: Mondrianesque

I am bummed that this shirt isn't doing better. I think that many of the submissions for this derby, although interesting, really wouldn't be appealing for me to wear because I would be wearing shirt with a pixelated design, which I wouldn't want. However, this shirt, using the same constraints, doesn't look pixelated because of the style you chose. And the point of inspiration you used is also great. I hope you get an up-swing at the end of the voting!

DrSpoq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrSpoq

love this! great job!

Mitamasan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mitamasan
Re: Sunset 3.0

This is really cool! Great job, gmv.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
zewkin wrote:This is the screen I drew on before I had a computer screen. I'd spend hours drawing ultimately ending up with crude shapes that sort of resembled real things. Or, I would get something started that looked really good and then I'd bump my arm and wipe half of it out. Ungh!

Heheheh... sweet. This is something where the edges of the lines would be square for sure. I never could get really good curves out of an Etch-a-Sketch. :-)

BigPapaK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigPapaK

Hope you win... I want one!

pennglendinning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennglendinning
Re: I am Taller Than Most Things

what a dumb shirt

ChicNoir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChicNoir

Colors = great.
Design = great.
Placement = not great.

What I wish you had done was made multiple break dancers, one in the top corner, another larger toward the center, one off in the distance....

pennglendinning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennglendinning
Re: uncle walt

O Captain my Captain!

livewire1337

quality posts: 0 Private Messages livewire1337
Re: Boom!

nice!

Bullet1979

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bullet1979

This derby may very well go down as the ugliest derby ever...

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
Re: Victor-Oscar-Tango-Echo

What do you get when you mix Victor, Oscar, Tango, and Echo? This shirt design subliminally requesting you to V-O-T-E now and in November. My last entry was rejected due to the WOOT reference, so here's one of the backups. International code flags, signaling flags, alphabet flags. Whatever the name, the mariner's flag code has been around a very long time. Whether to tell a neighboring ship "man overboard" or "I am seriously damaged" (that one applies to me I think), the code has been used by sailors for centuries to relay messages at sea. And now, hopefully, you too can relay this coded message to fellow woot enthusiasts as you stroll the streets with old salts and land lubbers alike. Many an eye patch will be lifted and cap tipped as you meander through the masses wearing this baby blue treasure. And ladies on the prowl will especially love the attention paid them while cruising the docks and shipyards. Rest assured, sailors will salute your fine taste in coded 6-color pixelated t-shirts that send all the right signals...All right, I'm way ahead of myself here. I do think it would be kind of cool to see a fellow woot-an clan member out and about wearing this, a nod and a wink exchanged. I'm pretty new to this but now thoroughly hooked. Hope you like this one. I look forward to feedback, comments, critiques, and, of course, some votes if you like it.

earthart

Re: Charlie-Oscar-Oscar-Lima

What do you get when you mix Charlie, Oscar, Oscar, and Lima? This C-O-O-L shirt design. My last entry was rejected due to the WOOT reference, so here's one of the backups. International code flags, signaling flags, alphabet flags. Whatever the name, the mariner's flag code has been around a very long time. Whether to tell a neighboring ship "man overboard" or "I am seriously damaged" (that one applies to me I think), the code has been used by sailors for centuries to relay messages at sea. And now, hopefully, you too can relay this coded message to fellow woot enthusiasts as you stroll the streets with old salts and land lubbers alike. Many an eye patch will be lifted and cap tipped as you meander through the masses wearing this baby blue treasure. And ladies on the prowl will especially love the attention paid them while cruising the docks and shipyards. Rest assured, sailors will salute your fine taste in coded 6-color pixelated t-shirts that send all the right signals...All right, I'm way ahead of myself here. I do think it would be kind of cool to see a fellow woot-an clan member out and about wearing this, a nod and a wink exchanged. I'm pretty new to this but now thoroughly hooked. Hope you like this one. I look forward to feedback, comments, critiques, and, of course, some votes if you like it.

earthart

Re: Lima-Oscar-Victor-Echo

What do you get when you mix Lima, Oscar, Victor, and Echo? This L-O-V-E-ly shirt design. My last entry was rejected due to the WOOT reference, so here's one of the backups. International code flags, signaling flags, alphabet flags. Whatever the name, the mariner's flag code has been around a very long time. Whether to tell a neighboring ship "man overboard" or "I am seriously damaged" (that one applies to me I think), the code has been used by sailors for centuries to relay messages at sea. And now, hopefully, you too can relay this coded message to fellow woot enthusiasts as you stroll the streets with old salts and land lubbers alike. Many an eye patch will be lifted and cap tipped as you meander through the masses wearing this baby blue treasure. And ladies on the prowl will especially love the attention paid them while cruising the docks and shipyards. Rest assured, sailors will salute your fine taste in coded 6-color pixelated t-shirts that send all the right signals...All right, I'm way ahead of myself here. I do think it would be kind of cool to see a fellow woot-an clan member out and about wearing this, a nod and a wink exchanged. I'm pretty new to this but now thoroughly hooked. Hope you like this one. I look forward to feedback, comments, critiques, and, of course, some votes if you like it.

earthart

Re: Papa-Hotel-Alpha-Tango

What do you get when you mix Papa, Hotel, Alpha, and Tango? This P-H-A-T shirt design. My last entry was rejected due to the WOOT reference, so here's one of the backups. International code flags, signaling flags, alphabet flags. Whatever the name, the mariner's flag code has been around a very long time. Whether to tell a neighboring ship "man overboard" or "I am seriously damaged" (that one applies to me I think), the code has been used by sailors for centuries to relay messages at sea. And now, hopefully, you too can relay this coded message to fellow woot enthusiasts as you stroll the streets with old salts and land lubbers alike. Many an eye patch will be lifted and cap tipped as you meander through the masses wearing this baby blue treasure. And ladies on the prowl will especially love the attention paid them while cruising the docks and shipyards. Rest assured, sailors will salute your fine taste in coded 6-color pixelated t-shirts that send all the right signals...All right, I'm way ahead of myself here. I do think it would be kind of cool to see a fellow woot-an clan member out and about wearing this, a nod and a wink exchanged. I'm pretty new to this but now thoroughly hooked. Hope you like this one. I look forward to feedback, comments, critiques, and, of course, some votes if you like it.

earthart

Re: Yankee-Oscar

What do you get when you combine Yankee and Oscar? This shirt design Y-O. My last entry was rejected due to the WOOT reference, so here's one of the backups. International code flags, signaling flags, alphabet flags. Whatever the name, the mariner's flag code has been around a very long time. Whether to tell a neighboring ship "man overboard" or "I am seriously damaged" (that one applies to me I think), the code has been used by sailors for centuries to relay messages at sea. And now, hopefully, you too can relay this coded message to fellow woot enthusiasts as you stroll the streets with old salts and land lubbers alike. Many an eye patch will be lifted and cap tipped as you meander through the masses wearing this baby blue treasure. And ladies on the prowl will especially love the attention paid them while cruising the docks and shipyards. Rest assured, sailors will salute your fine taste in coded 6-color pixelated t-shirts that send all the right signals...All right, I'm way ahead of myself here. I do think it would be kind of cool to see a fellow woot-an clan member out and about wearing this, a nod and a wink exchanged. I'm pretty new to this but now thoroughly hooked. Hope you like this one. I look forward to feedback, comments, critiques, and, of course, some votes if you like it.

cdncarlie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdncarlie
Re: Victor-Oscar-Tango-Echo

I think I see more than six colours when you count the pixel line colour between the red and yellow in the upper right; I could be wrong though ;-)

My shirt.woots: When Doughnuts Fly, Kawaii, Random Shirt x3 (Dino Wino, Killer Bees, Unfriendly Locals),Do the Math, Zombie Season, What Dreams are Made of, Random Shirt x3 (Ghosts!, Dramatic Jackalope, Man-Boy)

lukekim91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lukekim91
Xijar wrote:All I know is if this doesn't make it in there over the next few days, resubmit a higher res version of the same concept for another derby, because I gotta have this shirt!

i basically had to vote for this giggle

just a lil man that loves to draw and look at people's drawings...

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
cdncarlie wrote:I think I see more than six colours when you count the pixel line colour between the red and yellow in the upper right; I could be wrong though ;-)

I see red, white, blue and yellow for the main colours, plus a pink and an orange for the anti-aliasing. Six, on the nose.

earthart, I think you have a great idea with these flags. However, instead of the blocky format you have now, I would suggest putting the flags in a line, either horizontal across the chest or vertical down a side. Also, I see that you've submitted multiple designs with the flags. I think it would be better for you if you chose one message and stuck with it. V-O-T-E is probably a weaker one - it's bordering on a woot reference. It could be a political message, but then it wouldn't make sense to obscure it, and you'd have to write in a candidate for it to make sense anyway.

Anyway, submitting so many similar designs may end up splitting your vote in a manner akin to submitting the same design on different shirt colours.

So, I'd suggest removing all but one of your flag designs, and maybe changing the composition around. Good luck!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Sunflowers

Love the design! Just bought my first shirt so I can officially say for the first time ever: GMV!

zewkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zewkin
Re: roasting 'mallows in hell

This poor guy is sad because Hell ran out of graham crackers and chocolate bars. Marshmallows alone just aren't as good.

zewkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zewkin

It's tough to get curvy designs with this week's challenges but you managed to do so nicely.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Hang in there, lil' bro!

Is that a Finding Nemo reference? You're lucky i like that movie. GMV

samhainaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samhainaz

Its awesome. Make m ore. Are any of these for sale?

dmkooo

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
Re: Before there were pixels...

Nice concept for the derby, but unfortunately Woot always rejects Etch-A-Sketch designs.

alitaorg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alitaorg
zewkin wrote:It's tough to get curvy designs with this week's challenges but you managed to do so nicely.

Very nice. To me the highlights look like snow...I wonder how it would look on baby blue or, although I have reservations about heather, heather.

alitaorg

P.S.: I like the originality of this, but I really enjoyed the Van Goghs too.

alitaorg

Re: Shadow Skull

I'd really be interested to know how you did this with the constraints - did you find a photo and trace it, or pixellate it and adjust the result to be six colors? Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by asking, but I'm intrigued.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:I see red, white, blue and yellow for the main colours, plus a pink and an orange for the anti-aliasing. Six, on the nose.

earthart, I think you have a great idea with these flags. However, instead of the blocky format you have now, I would suggest putting the flags in a line, either horizontal across the chest or vertical down a side. Also, I see that you've submitted multiple designs with the flags. I think it would be better for you if you chose one message and stuck with it. V-O-T-E is probably a weaker one - it's bordering on a woot reference. It could be a political message, but then it wouldn't make sense to obscure it, and you'd have to write in a candidate for it to make sense anyway.

Anyway, submitting so many similar designs may end up splitting your vote in a manner akin to submitting the same design on different shirt colours.

So, I'd suggest removing all but one of your flag designs, and maybe changing the composition around. Good luck!

It's also worth noting that when woot says no text, they mean it. They have, in the past, axed shirts with sign language and asian word-symbols (I'd just say Kanji, but I don't think that's the term for ALL countries, is it?), so semaphore is a likely candidate for the text axe as well.

alitaorg

dmkooo wrote:Nice concept for the derby, but unfortunately Woot always rejects Etch-A-Sketch designs.

That's a shame - is it a copyright problem?
I think this is my favorite design of the derby - it works with the constraints beautifully.

snake3aris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snake3aris
Cardster26 wrote:And what would YOU rather it be on? Because I personally like the color blue, if I chose black, many of the monsters would work and a few people would whine about how it's "summer and I don't want to wear dark colors" and greens or browns may hide monsters as well. And no one really likes white. I'll resub on another color if you'd rather vote for that though =P

I would like that design on yellow, light yellow or cream! what do you think?

snake3aris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snake3aris
Arnion wrote:Very cute, hahah.

i hope this makes it to print! i love it!

cdpandya1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdpandya1

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
sundbe10 wrote:No one in particular, just a general face.

That's funny!

Explodinggreenllama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Explodinggreenllama
Re: 56k

Sorry man, nice shirt, but the concept has been done before

http://www.jinx.com/men/shirts/geek/broken_image.html?catid=1

"I'm Snug the joiner, and I'm a man."
-Daniel Parvis, Midsummer Nights Dream

iCobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iCobra

Gratz on your first entry acaudel! Got my vote.

iCobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iCobra

Gratz on your first entry acaudel! Good luck; you've got my vote.

personnemaime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages personnemaime
gambit07 wrote:mmm :/ o well :D It's a cool design, I'd really like it to be printed!

Thanks! Yeah, me too.

personnemaime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages personnemaime
noisdois wrote:This one is one of the best that has been submitted. It really shocks me that it's not getting more votes.

Thanks for the complement!

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
kwilder wrote:I am bummed that this shirt isn't doing better. I think that many of the submissions for this derby, although interesting, really wouldn't be appealing for me to wear because I would be wearing shirt with a pixelated design, which I wouldn't want. However, this shirt, using the same constraints, doesn't look pixelated because of the style you chose. And the point of inspiration you used is also great. I hope you get an up-swing at the end of the voting!

Thank you. Exactly what I was shooting for...