+ Add a Comment

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
IndependentVik wrote:I love it when designers post themselves in their own shirts. I hope that jimiyo and you have started a trend. Both of you look great in your shirts

I really dug the idea of your shirt. If "waterslide" had been replaced with something else silly/frivolous that I have a personal fondness for myself (I can't remember the last time I wanted to go to a waterslide) then I would've been all over it. As it is, you have to start getting picky when the woot shirts start piling up. Glad there are enough people who dig waterslides to keep you in the top 20

I know. I'm not a huge waterslide fan either. I originally intended to write "videogames" or just "games" but I thought "waterslides" was more accessible to everyone and more indicative of good clean fun. I really didn't intend for the design to be a statement about whether or not the person wearing it likes waterslides or not. The waterslides were just supposed to represent goofing off and having a good time in the present. But, however people want to interpret it is fine with me

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
IndependentVik wrote:I love it when designers post themselves in their own shirts. I hope that jimiyo and you have started a trend. Both of you look great in your shirts

I really dug the idea of your shirt. If "waterslide" had been replaced with something else silly/frivolous that I have a personal fondness for myself (I can't remember the last time I wanted to go to a waterslide) then I would've been all over it. As it is, you have to start getting picky when the woot shirts start piling up. Glad there are enough people who dig waterslides to keep you in the top 20

there are a handful of designers in their own shirts... I know there's a Fable in "The Creative Thought Process" and a Gentry in both "Suburban Blitzkrieg" and "It's Going Out Faster than it's Coming In"... I always state when a shirt designer posted pics of their own shirt, whether on them, or someone else, or a bed, so you could play a fun game of it. And Boots, the more the merrier on the pictures, so post whichever ones you want. I'm always interested to see a glimpse into the purchasing mind of the designers 'round here, and I am certain woot will not object, though you might find your PM box full of uncomfortable messages from tech nerds very quickly.

As for the one shirt I've bought-or-would-buy, I am prominently displayed as the first sucker on The Cake is a Liar. I still have never played Portal, but I love the joke in and of itself. I recall rhapsodizing on the fact that it was way more than just a cheap videogame shirt, because the joke of a cake lying about its nutritional content would be funny long after people cared about the game. Lo and behold, eh?

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
BootsBoots wrote:The waterslides were just supposed to represent goofing off and having a good time in the present.

Oh, I totally hear you. I definitely thought that was the designer's (yours) intent. It's just, when your girlfriend is looking at you with another woot bag in your hands and you can tell she's thinking, "ANOTHER t-shirt?!" you really look for any and all excuses not to pick one more up.

Good luck, and I hope you hit paydirt again in another derby soon; I like your cartoony style.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny

I really liked the waterslide design. I think that it should that for children, simple pleasures are more important then fame and fortune. Or at least that was my take. I would have gotten it too, but side prints get lost a little in the curves and asphalt and me have a bad relationship. It makes me look like death warmed over.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
BootsBoots wrote:I've decided what this thread needs is more me. Photos of me wearing me.

I could stand a couple more

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

Does anyone have a pic of Baha Ive got nets too? I want to see how it printed before I order one.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

IndependentVik

AdderXYU wrote:there are a handful of designers in their own shirts... I know there's a Fable in "The Creative Thought Process" and a Gentry in both "Suburban Blitzkrieg" and "It's Going Out Faster than it's Coming In"...

As for the one shirt I've bought-or-would-buy, I am prominently displayed as the first sucker on The Cake is a Liar . ..

Adder, you rock! Thanks for the extra information. I probably wasn't going to read all those pages specifically to find that information on the other designers, so it's appreciated.

I'm surprised about your affinity for Cake. You usually seem really big on the pure artsy side of the spectrum, so it's nice to see you can dig a good joke shirt every once in awhile, too, provided you like the joke. I agree that Cake transcends the genre of "video game reference" shirts, but I haven't quite been able to make up my mind on pulling the trigger. I guess mostly I'm worried it'd look goofy on me, b/c I do think it's funny.

IndependentVik

Wonderbunny wrote:I really liked the waterslide design. I think that it should that for children, simple pleasures are more important then fame and fortune. Or at least that was my take. I would have gotten it too, but side prints get lost a little in the curves and asphalt and me have a bad relationship. It makes me look like death warmed over.

Death warmed over? It doesn't go with your complexion?

Agreed on the simple pleasures. No one's taught to appreciate the nice, simple things anymore.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
IndependentVik wrote:I'm surprised about your affinity for Cake. You usually seem really big on the pure artsy side of the spectrum, so it's nice to see you can dig a good joke shirt every once in awhile, too, provided you like the joke. I agree that Cake transcends the genre of "video game reference" shirts, but I haven't quite been able to make up my mind on pulling the trigger. I guess mostly I'm worried it'd look goofy on me, b/c I do think it's funny.

I used to think I looked terrible in orange (my dad, a University of Alabama fan, trained me well to hate orange), but I bought Cake for the great joke and found that I look decent in it. I even recently bought a non-woot orange shirt. o.O

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
ansharp wrote:I used to think I looked terrible in orange (my dad, a University of Alabama fan, trained me well to hate orange), but I bought Cake for the great joke and found that I look decent in it. I even recently bought a non-woot orange shirt. o.O

Roll Tide!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

thejakeyl88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages thejakeyl88
AttilaTheMom wrote:Does anyone have a pic of Baha Ive got nets too? I want to see how it printed before I order one.

I know I'll be getting mine in about three days. I suppose it will be up by then, hopefully!

Just got "Oh Burned" in the mail even though I never seem able to get along with its designer for some reason, oh well maybe I'll be looked at in a different light now that I did buy it ;) Maybe it was because out of 35 shirts, I didn't even give this shirt a chance, but then it was to be reckoned and then I knew what I had to do. Now that I'm looking at it, smiling and laughing, I knew I made the right choice. PICS soon. Close ups only.

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
IndependentVik wrote:Death warmed over? It doesn't go with your complexion?

Agreed on the simple pleasures. No one's taught to appreciate the nice, simple things anymore.

Yep. Makes my skin look a nice green color.

thejakeyl88

Here we are. Some dark close ups of "Oh Burned" which I just got today.

Sorry they are so dark, I had to do that to get the color of the shirt just right and I didn't want to mess the color representation up post processing.

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
thejakeyl88 wrote:Here we are. Some dark close ups of "Oh Burned" which I just got today.

Sorry they are so dark, I had to do that to get the color of the shirt just right and I didn't want to mess the color representation up post processing.

Jakey, those look great! I'm glad the shirt came out so well for you.

and as to your other post, I've never had as serious an issue with you as you may think ;) I do believe, however, our conversation yesterday got misconstrued a bit. I wasn't trying to be nearly as harsh as it came across. Though I admit, a lot of that had to do with how I worded things. Once I saw the conversation going down the wrong path, I simply stopped posting. If you ever have any reason to think I am having an issue with you though, Jakey... feel free to PM me.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
IndependentVik wrote:Adder, you rock! Thanks for the extra information. I probably wasn't going to read all those pages specifically to find that information on the other designers, so it's appreciated.

I'm surprised about your affinity for Cake. You usually seem really big on the pure artsy side of the spectrum, so it's nice to see you can dig a good joke shirt every once in awhile, too, provided you like the joke. I agree that Cake transcends the genre of "video game reference" shirts, but I haven't quite been able to make up my mind on pulling the trigger. I guess mostly I'm worried it'd look goofy on me, b/c I do think it's funny.

I would never call Cake one of my favorite shirts... it was more a case of derbyitis that got me "first sucker"... on a daily shirt, one normally needs to take a couple moments to let it sink in before choosing to purchase... with a derby fogger, as soon as you see it, you know you want it. You've known all week, most likely. Still, I'm proud of it. And will probably rock it even more in a few years, when the memory fades on the whole Portal thing.

I think the biggest misunderstanding with my position on shirts is the idea of "artsy". I own plenty of cartoony shirts. There just needs to be a modicum of creativity. There is art in taking something simple and making it look good simple, and there is not-art by reveling in the complex without making it cohesive. What frustrates me about so much of what does well here is that the creativity is nowhere to be found, while that which is both creative and well designed so often hits the cutting room floor. But that is a debate for another thread altogether, not this one.

yemicculus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yemicculus

In the tradition of posting reckoned shirts, here's "The One That Didn't Get Away".

I think the printing on it came out really nice, but this is pre-wash.

Xebby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xebby

I am new to Shirt.woot.com and so far I have ordered 4 different shirts. I received my first today! Yippie!
It does fit a bit smaller then I expected but a few trips to the gym should take care of that problem. So, to show it off here you go (I hope I post the picture correctly)
The flash seems to make the orange look a bit lighter:

This "in action" pic shows the colors the best:

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

Ok.. my camera is not working, HOWEVER, I got Sokowa's "Fog" in the mail today, and it printed way, way, way cool!! Anybody who decided to pass on this one because of the asphalt shirt should seriously rethink buying one before it is too late.

IndependentVik

2thFairy wrote:Ok.. my camera is not working, HOWEVER, I got Sokowa's "Fog" in the mail today, and it printed way, way, way cool!! Anybody who decided to pass on this one because of the asphalt shirt should seriously rethink buying one before it is too late.

Oooh! I'm really psyched. Fog was the first new shirt I'd picked up in weeks, and I've been hoping for a good print; the design was just beautiful.

I'm on the east coast, though, so I'm sure I won't be getting mine for at least a week. Wish the economy was good enough that I could justify the extra fiver for overnight

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
2thFairy wrote:Ok.. my camera is not working, HOWEVER, I got Sokowa's "Fog" in the mail today, and it printed way, way, way cool!! Anybody who decided to pass on this one because of the asphalt shirt should seriously rethink buying one before it is too late.

I'm excited, but it'll still be about three weeks before I see mine...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

thejakeyl88

JadenKale wrote:Jakey, those look great! I'm glad the shirt came out so well for you.

and as to your other post, I've never had as serious an issue with you as you may think ;) I do believe, however, our conversation yesterday got misconstrued a bit. I wasn't trying to be nearly as harsh as it came across. Though I admit, a lot of that had to do with how I worded things. Once I saw the conversation going down the wrong path, I simply stopped posting. If you ever have any reason to think I am having an issue with you though, Jakey... feel free to PM me.

Thanks Jaden!

I appreciate you taking the time to write that post and clear things up. I thought maybe we didn't get along for whatever reasons but its nice to know that is not the case.

"Oh Burned" came out fantastic! The ink is perfect. I mean PERFECT. I wish every shirt could print so well. The placement rocks, the colors rock and the detail really surprised me. I've already received many, many compliments from people since I wore it yesterday for the first time. I want to get some more pictures of it put up when I can get outside and get some natural lighting. I couldn't wait for the sun so I just took them in my room and the flash mixed with the yellowish room lights made the colors seem off, so I just took them with no flash in a dark room and did my best.

Anyways I really do wish I got this one earlier, especially since its gone now, I know many people will want to buy this once they see it and they won't be able to now. I'm just happy I did when I had the chance.

The detail in big marshmallow where it is "burned" looks incredible. I keep looking at it up close and just think of how well it was printed there. But what can I say, the entire think printed beautifully! The flames look wonderful too. The ink thickness is perfect. Not too thin but not too thick, just right. This one will never get old.

koopadaisy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koopadaisy

Oooh, I really hope someone posts a photo of this one before it gets reckoned. I've been bouncing back & forth between it and Baha, I has Nets too! but haven't seen an actual photo of either one yet.

flower753

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flower753
koopadaisy wrote:Oooh, I really hope someone posts a photo of this one before it gets reckoned. I've been bouncing back & forth between it and Baha, I has Nets too! but haven't seen an actual photo of either one yet.

I have both on the way but they won't be here until Tues & Wed according to the tracking info.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
koopadaisy wrote:Oooh, I really hope someone posts a photo of this one before it gets reckoned. I've been bouncing back & forth between it and Baha, I has Nets too! but haven't seen an actual photo of either one yet.

You might have to decide before people can put any pictures up. It looks like they're both gonna be reckoned Monday. :-/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

koopadaisy

SailorButterfly wrote:You might have to decide before people can put any pictures up. It looks like they're both gonna be reckoned Monday. :-/

I was afraid of that. I might just do an eeny, meeny and see where the cards lie. Or asphalt shirts, in this case.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

TADA!
Unwashed WM

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Cute dog Sokowa!

I received my Fog and it printed beautifully. I really like how it looks on the asphalt...and I really didn't need anymore. (So that says a lot about the design!)

So, if you are on the fence, buy it before it's reckoned. It's a good one.

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420

I FINALLY got Plumeria Paradise today. That could be the longest delivery ever! Anyway, I know the design was pretty much hated by most people, but I bought it because it's the same style one of my tattoos is done in. (please, no clip art tattoo jokes!) Pardon the boobaciousness, just consider it another incentive for the WXXL!

Carpe shirtem!

thejakeyl88

I got Say no to Scurvy in the mail today. Impressed with this one, love the colors.

eHalcyon

I swear, the kelly green shirt that Scurvy is printed on does NOT look the kelly green shirt that I have (Going Bananas). Is it just the lighting? Am I crazy? It just looks more more blue... I'm pretty sure I'm just crazy.

Dang, I think I'm going to have to buy it when it gets reckoned just so I can see for myself. Hopefully that won't be for a long, long time...

gambit07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gambit07
sokowa wrote:TADA!
Unwashed WM

wow that shirt turned out awesome!

thejakeyl88

Well after many many pictures of just the shirts, I decided to go ahead and take one of myself, in my latest woot shirt arrival, Donut Panic! My dslr is heavy in one hand so it came out blurry but I took 20 shots to try and get a clear picture and I just couldn't. I also couldn't find the darn piece to get my camera attached to the tripod so I had to go free hand. You can still make out the shirt pretty well though. Its pretty accurate to the design, the pink is a tad bit brighter on the shirt but its not really noticeable unless you really compare them. I love cranberry woot shirts though, and this one is just awesome with the lighter pink on it. Really cool over all!

kiliaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiliaa
thejakeyl88 wrote:Well after many many pictures of just the shirts, I decided to go ahead and take one of myself, in my latest woot shirt arrival, Donut Panic! My dslr is heavy in one hand so it came out blurry but I took 20 shots to try and get a clear picture and I just couldn't. I also couldn't find the darn piece to get my camera attached to the tripod so I had to go free hand. You can still make out the shirt pretty well though. Its pretty accurate to the design, the pink is a tad bit brighter on the shirt but its not really noticeable unless you really compare them. I love cranberry woot shirts though, and this one is just awesome with the lighter pink on it. Really cool over all!

The Jakeyl is revealed!
Is the design really shifted that far to your left, or is that just because of the way your body is turned?

thejakeyl88

kiliaa wrote:The Jakeyl is revealed!
Is the design really shifted that far to your left, or is that just because of the way your body is turned?

Its just the way my body was turned. That's actually a shot of me in my mirror so I had to do everything I could to try and get the camera out of the picture as much as possible, and things like that. In the end I came out with this picture thats blurry, shows the positioning incorrectly, ect. *giggles*...

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
thejakeyl88 wrote:Well after many many pictures of just the shirts, I decided to go ahead and take one of myself, in my latest woot shirt arrival, Donut Panic! My dslr is heavy in one hand so it came out blurry but I took 20 shots to try and get a clear picture and I just couldn't. I also couldn't find the darn piece to get my camera attached to the tripod so I had to go free hand. You can still make out the shirt pretty well though. Its pretty accurate to the design, the pink is a tad bit brighter on the shirt but its not really noticeable unless you really compare them. I love cranberry woot shirts though, and this one is just awesome with the lighter pink on it. Really cool over all!

ooooo MODEL MINE MODEL MINE! :D

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

jakeyl88 needs to model more shirts.. hint hint
;)

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

Yummy!

er.. the donuts I mean. yes, yummy donuts... right.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

eHalcyon

Haha, new Jake fan club.

koopadaisy

Unwashed WM

Groovy! It looks like it turned out really well & I apparently have some buying to do today. Thanks for posting it.

tiernane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiernane
Unwashed WM

Just bought it because of this pic... thanks Sokowa! Jakey is making me want Donuts... but I think it's more because i really really really want a cranberry shirt, but have yet to find one I really like... I have a while on that one too, so it'll wait