SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
illuminator wrote:Dewd! I was at this Luau party last night and we're watching the fire dancers, then out comes this monkey just going nuts! And he stared at me dood! He was really mad about something and like just stared at ME for like forever! Then I woke up when my face hit the the punch bowl... man, I'm never doing Brain Erasers again.

Looks a little more like an ape than a monkey to me... but way cool design!
(And I watch my mailbox every day, waiting for our THREE Bento Box shirts to arrive!!)

kiliaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiliaa
Re: Oh! The Cocanity!

Love the facial expressions - and I was actually getting a bit worn out on the tragically cute. You managed to make a shirt full of brown tones look cute and funny!

klsntoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klsntoe
Re: Dancing in the dark

our second collaboration. less girlie, extra flamey. hope you like it and please vote for it if you do! thanks!

kiliaa

Re: Midnight Luau

I am so happy you tried out this Mucha-esque style again. I love it, again. GMV and I hope this one does better than the goddess!

kiliaa

Re: Luau Drinks - Your Mileage May Vary

Heehee. It's cute and weird. I do wish the design were a touch higher on the shirt, though.

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

bvillarreal, I just want to say that after reading all the comments here, I think you are a class act! I admire how you haven't let all the negativity get under your skin and cause you to drop to the same level. I agree with haxrox's statement: "It's a shame that some commenters think that constructive criticism means a blunt evaluation. Bashing a design does not emotionally equip all artists to improve, even if you feel you're pointing out a truth. The "constructive" part is about approach, like using tact and kindness, not intent." I wish I were as well spoken. All I can come up with right now is the old saying about getting more flies with honey than vinegar. Here's hoping a few will add a little honey to their comments. I should add that I, too would like to see what this would look like with even more "liquid" flowing from flower to flower, but I also know what it's like when you just don't have the time. I think you pulled off the liquid look quite well.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

mia3mom wrote:love it geekfactor! you've got such wonderful expressions on them. and I love the red shoes on the freddie one.

Hahah, Freddie. Only a true mom would call that guy Freddie. ;)

Fraglepop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fraglepop

Very cool, I like the colors and all the confetti sparks stuff. Very nice work, gmv.

sargentmatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sargentmatt
GoldBerry wrote:
(He's missing a toe though...)

Not missing, just hidden behind the others. Glad you like it, though.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

Great :-)

Love the textures.

Check out my blog:Here!

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Re: eventide

This is good, mom, Shawn and I voted for it.We like everything you design. Tell Miss LauraB hello.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
sargentmatt wrote:Not missing, just hidden behind the others. Glad you like it, though.

i'm right here not missing, just been working.

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: Fire Dancer

The feeling of motion & the way you executed the fire is beautiful! I could look at this for a long time and not get tired of it. GMV

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
Re: Tiki of the Stooges

new color scheme

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Limbo!

The limbo is from the Caribbean, so wouldn't normally be part of a luau.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Tiki Treat

Hmmm I think the tiki found a treat! shriveled head, anyone???

Thanks in advance for all your votes!!!!

Here's the closeup:

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
SydneyB wrote:Looks a little more like an ape than a monkey to me... but way cool design!
(And I watch my mailbox every day, waiting for our THREE Bento Box shirts to arrive!!)

Thanks! I started with a Macaque, but it ended up looking a bit chimpish. :D

Kuiosikle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kuiosikle
Re: Midnight Luau

Very nice. GMV. I still want the Dessert Goddess . Do let us know if you ever make it available elsewhere.

geleon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geleon
mjc613 wrote:The limbo is from the Caribbean, so wouldn't normally be part of a luau.

I remembered that after I'd posted.... In my defense, however... When I was little, my grandmother used to take me to a yearly "luau" where they'd roast a pig and people would eat it... and after, they'd have a limbo contest... it wasn't anywhere near a luau in Hi... but, quite enjoyable... and an immediate association

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Thanks Toe for teaming up with me for this week's derby theme. You did a GREAT job with the sketch on this one. Inspired by Matisse's Dance. We wanted to try to bring the Matisse painting to life with the motions and dress of Polynesian fire dancers...tribal tattoos, grass leg bands, headbands, and all.

Thanks again Toe for bringing the sketch to life. Looks fantastic!

Here was our first collaborative idea posted earlier today:

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

I think this is my favourite in the derby so far. That fire looks amazing. AnnaJo's flames were pretty spiffy too and she posted some tips in her shirt's thread. Would either of you two care to offer some more insight?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Fire Dancer

Ovaltina, my goat, Ovaltina, my goat,Ovaltina, my goat. I've never been in the fog. You guys are soooo amazing, I can't even express it. Thank you sooooo much. Ahh!!!!!

Silverpsycho

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silverpsycho

Nice one Jaden! This reminds me of the original Trader Sam at the end of the Jungle Cruise. Sadly I relate many things to Disney. :D

Best of luck in the derby and obviously you've gmv.

Trading: Guts & Reverse Tarzan (both are size WL)

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
rachel1aaron wrote:bvillarreal, I just want to say that after reading all the comments here, I think you are a class act! I admire how you haven't let all the negativity get under your skin and cause you to drop to the same level. I agree with haxrox's statement: "It's a shame that some commenters think that constructive criticism means a blunt evaluation. Bashing a design does not emotionally equip all artists to improve, even if you feel you're pointing out a truth. The "constructive" part is about approach, like using tact and kindness, not intent." I wish I were as well spoken. All I can come up with right now is the old saying about getting more flies with honey than vinegar. Here's hoping a few will add a little honey to their comments. I should add that I, too would like to see what this would look like with even more "liquid" flowing from flower to flower, but I also know what it's like when you just don't have the time. I think you pulled off the liquid look quite well.

Thank you Rachel1aaron. You are very well-spoken and I appreciate very much such positive feedback in my last check of the thread before I go to bed! Woot is truly an interesting social microcosm! Thanks again, Rachel.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

fun and freaky guy! nice to see another take on the tiki, too. Great work with the hand and feet, I get intimidated by the idea of drawing those.

cool to see you stretch out from the cuteness as well. definitely gmv

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

bvillarreal

Re: Luau Drinks - Your Mileage May Vary

I like it - it is an illustration that immediately elicits a plot in my mind. I love the posture of the girl robot and all of the other elements. GMV

Toasted7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Toasted7
Re: Fine Young Cannibals

I have to vote for any shirt that has Jason Vorhees on it... GMV!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
eHalcyon wrote:I think this is my favourite in the derby so far. That fire looks amazing. AnnaJo's flames were pretty spiffy too and she posted some tips in her shirt's thread. Would either of you two care to offer some more insight?

YAY!! I'll let Toe take the honor of explaining the fire as he did the coloring on this design. I wasn't sure if he was going to keep the fire in the middle. I had that in the original sketch that I sent him last night, but there were four men dancing. I'm glad he thinned it to 3 of the "dance" poses and kept the center fire pit. I wasn't sure if it was going to be done by tonight, but I'm so happy that Toe was able to finish it.

I'm sure he'll be happy to know folks like it! Thanks EH!

rockychuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockychuck
Re: Good Vibrations

Dude, I want this shirt!!!!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Silverpsycho wrote:Nice one Jaden! This reminds me of the original Trader Sam at the end of the Jungle Cruise. Sadly I relate many things to Disney. :D

Best of luck in the derby and obviously you've gmv.

ROFL psycho! I love how you relate them to Disney, because I never plan that. Thanks for the vote!

and Mia, thank you too! I'm glad people are receptive towards my non-cute entries as well.

bvillarreal

very matisse. beautiful fire, too.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Pacific Sunset

I am happy for you that your design is doing so well. However I just don't get it. I look at it one way and it looks like some paint brush lines. the other way, and it's a big phallic object (upside down).

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

Scottyjx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scottyjx

This is a great shirt

sagerman4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sagerman4
Re: Good Vibrations

Wow! This is the best submission so far. I love the color scheme. Great job man.

thejakeyl88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages thejakeyl88
Re: Black Flowers

Wow this design stood right out, I love the darkness of it, and how the blackness makes up the flowers, really awesome. Got my vote, I hope this makes it!

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!

voteemu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages voteemu

Very homestarrunner

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
wettoad wrote:wow. i like this a lot. is this asphalt or navy?

navy.

Silverpsycho

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silverpsycho
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

You can count me in as one of the supporters of this shirt. I love the colors, which is what sets your design apart from numerous other hibiscus shirts out there. I've purchased many many shirts featuring this awesome flower, but it's usually featured in different ways. Your placement is more original than the usual stripe of hibiscus going across the shirt like done on college type t-shirts (SDSU, UCSB...etc.) or even all the ones I see while vacationing in Hawaii. So sure, I will agree with others that the hibiscus is a commonly used flower but it should not be frowned upon because it's popular.

I believe you are deserving of being high on the list and I think both my mom and I would be in for one if this gets printed. It's simple, fun and like I said before...I love the colors.

Good luck and you've gmv.

Trading: Guts & Reverse Tarzan (both are size WL)

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt
Re: Tiki Van Hula

She turned out a bit, uh, sexier than I'd intended, but I like her.

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo

HAHAH My favorite is the look on the other coconuts' faces with the machete sitting next to them, llo! Great design, gmv!