hundr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hundr
Re: Wrath of the Monkey God

I *really* like the idea of this shirt, but the fact that it's a primate with Maori style tattoos is a bit disconcerting. I probably wouldn't be able to buy it because of the imitation style of Maori tattoos and having them be on a monkey. (For those who don't know, the Maori are very, very territorial over their tattoos and view it as offensive for others to copy them.)

grumpy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grumpy
Re: Hula Pig

He was invited to the luau. Nobody told him to dress for dinner.

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Hibiscus Dreams

There have been a couple designs that have caught my eye and this was definitely one of them. GREAT work, I absolutely love your colors and line work! gmv ;)

spun4621

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spun4621
Re: Midnight Luau

I like this Makes me think of Capri Sun...or air fresheners... either way, GMV!

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt
Re: Luau: 10% Metal

I especially dig his shorts and the flowers. GMV!

spun4621

Re: Fire Dancer

GMV too!

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt

Nice, fresh approach. Great work!

spun4621

cenerslaveshop wrote:[quote postid="2547538" user="anneandkita"]This is totally minor, but it makes me uncomfortable anyway. The reflections in the water would both travel the length of the water reflection and they tend to taper off at the end, not just stop abruptly. The length of the line is based on the brightness of the source, so the moon reflection would be longer than the fire reflection if anything.

I absolutely love the design, but that inaccuracy would probably keep me from buying it. (I know, I know, that's so sad! I can't help it. )

This kind of shows what I'm talking about with the brightness vs. length of reflection. More examples could be found by googling I'm sure.

Cripes, it's a shirt! It's not like it's going to be hanging in the Louvre! If all the shirts submitted were held to such high expectations, we'd have no zombies, smiling animals, talking monsters and the like. Life is full of inaccuracies, I dig the individuality and it's a cool take on it; reflections "perfect" or not.

I know...and she knows...she even felt bad for admitting that it bugged her but its just an opinion, just like its just a shirt...

AnnaJo

eHalcyon wrote:I think this is my favourite in the derby so far. That fire looks amazing. AnnaJo's flames were pretty spiffy too and she posted some tips in her shirt's thread. Would either of you two care to offer some more insight?

WOW I too, LOVE LOVE this design! GMV!

hmmxkrazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
blammoed wrote:ahahahaha! hilarious, extra funny with the title. That poor little piggy.

thanks.. but think of all the hungry party people. :P

AnnaJo

Re: Fine Young Cannibals

Creepy for sure! GMV!

AnnaJo

Well, the MINUTE this came on, my boyf and I decided it would be a winner. Seriously, your color usage and the subtle use of halftones is AMAZING. Collaboration...please? ;)

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Dancing in the dark

Thanks BV and AnnaJo. Congratulations on breaking the fog AJ. Maybe our fire dancers can join you...3 dancing men with your lady.

AnnaJo

Re: maiself-tai

hi-LARIOUS! gmv!

sharnar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharnar
Re: Limbo!

i like the idea, but the guy would definitely fall over, hes not balanced

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Good Vibrations

unfortunately, there are halftones that can't be printed.

GoldBerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoldBerry
Re: Black Flowers

This is pretty awesome, GMV for sure!

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Tiki God Awakens

Dekon, I love the clean lines, the design and the way it pops on the blue. Nice work and gmv.

j0naht

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0naht
JadenKale wrote:unfortunately, there are halftones that can't be printed.

there are only six colors from the pantone solid coated color swatches. halftones is the coloring technique you see in newspaper comics with the tiny colored dots.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

hundr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hundr
Re: Tiki Van Hula

Meow. *thumbs up*

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

Not too shabby at all :-)

Check out my blog:Here!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:unfortunately, there are halftones that can't be printed.

No halftones in this that I can see... maybe you were thinking of partial transparency? It does look like the designer might have used a transparent dark colour over the lighter ones, but upon closer inspection it's clear that just six colours were used, very carefully chosen.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

p1k4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p1k4

great design~ eye-catching but not gaudy. you've got my vote ^^

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

wow. i havent been around all day so i was checking the thumbnails.
i clicked to see this shirt to see how many people had said how wretched it is to make a shirt like those you can buy in a store.
now after reading oh lets say half way down the page maybe, give or take a few spins of the wheel, i want a turn!

ok hey, i see you took the time to draw it yourself. total props.
half of the crowd that is freaking out complains just as loudly about clip art and vectors. they whine incessantly (as do i) about the lack of give-a-stool around here.
yep, as a person that lives in vegas... where hawaiian people move to when they get sick of water... agreed. it LOOKS to be generic and just like alot of stuff you can buy at the flea market or where ever.
HOWEVER,
my personal verdict (as a person that has made exactly one design by the grace and help of far too many people) is this:
you took the time to draw it.
you have elements, as do i. bravo for putting out something people easily mistake for a run of the mill shirt. that means you made something 80 billion people would buy at walmart on a wing and a prayer.
now ill have you know that alot of my friends are gonna hate and berate me for this opinion, but for what you had to work with all the way around... hey you made something so palatable they all berate you for being too ordinary.
win or lose you have nothing to be ashamed of. if YOU drew it and YOU thought it looked nice repeated in a pattern rather than create a collage of different flowers, then there is nothing left to say.
if its all some ruse and you took some schmucks flower and repeatedly slapped it on a shirt without care... well then you should rot in hell.
if woot doesnt print it, go to a company called ocean pacific. i hear they LOVE this kind of work....

p1k4

i am by no means an expert on design, and i know plenty of people have already said it in technical terms i don't quite understand, but .. that fire looks freakin awesome. great work =)

Silverpsycho

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silverpsycho
Re: maiself-tai

I love this one and I'd definitely buy. Best of luck

Trading: Guts & Reverse Tarzan (both are size WL)

Chessiesmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chessiesmom

Love the design. The shirt is so dark though most of it seems lost. Have you considered a slightly softer color for the background?

p1k4

Re: Liquid Hibiscus

Even if this idea isn't original, i still think it's an awesome shirt. i love the colors chosen for this shirt. most of the shirts i've seen with this design/print are bright, flashy, and sometimes tacky-looking. this one has my vote, because it has a calm, but dark, color scheme, and because i'd wear it.

p1k4

Re: Good Vibrations

great design =) and i give props for the color scheme.

p1k4

Re: Surfer

i like your design, but not a big fan of the shade of blue. i prefer .. subtler colored shirts to wear~ but that's just me. awesome though =) i'd still get this shirt just for the design ^^

p1k4

Re: Black Flowers

red and black is one of my fave color schemes. i love pictures where something is silhouetted because it's covering the light source (e.g. the sun).

incorporation of both~ awesome shirt. =)

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21753]

-Well the Boss says we need diversity, but this is a little much.

-It's nothing to lose your head over.
Oh, wait....

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21753]

Sorry about the blurry image. The original design is HUUUUGE!

rccola55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rccola55

Got my thumbs up

SmijinGT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SmijinGT
Re: Luau Fire

sokowa=my favorite designer

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: Fine Young Cannibals

This and Edgar's are the only shirts I would be willing to spend money on this derby. Fantastic job geek.

anewleaf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anewleaf
Re: Disco Tiki v2.0

I think I like it better without the dance floor

..... yeah .....

DarkshadE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarkshadE
Re: Let's All Go To The Luau!!!

Ovaltina, my goat, this one is awesome ! I hope you win!

sumosahilattack

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sumosahilattack

wow nice! i agree with everyone else on here! the fire looks awesome! and good job making it exactly 6 colors! i voted for this!

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
DavidShenoda wrote:Sorry about the blurry image. The original design is HUUUUGE!

I almost made this exact (or near exact) design. My version was just the bunny heads though. Glad I didn't as yours came out really well. Best of luck.