AnnaJo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Eruption!



I agree, VERY unique take on the volcano. GMV

alftuba


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alftuba
bvillarreal wrote:Alftuba, I think your name is original enough to dissuade any awkwardness due to shirt similarity.



Ah, but I don't wear my internet name. ;) (maybe I should start?)

Seriously though, thanks. It's just my initials plus my current primary source of income. And my initials just happen to be an increasingly obscure 80's reference.

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
AnnaJo wrote:Those eyes are crazy! love it! gmv!



Thanks Anna Jo!!! I'm glad you like the eyes. They were originally figured into the first design, but I liked how hollow they looked in the first color scheme. This was much more fun and deserved the bright colors.

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Re: Who keeps drinking my Mai Tai?



My Mai Tai was disappearing much too quickly when I was at the luau. Here's my theory on what was causing it...

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Re: Who keeps drinking my Mai Tai?



Ohhh, and sorry about the flower on the parasol, if you look at the small image on the shirt, you'll see that it is the color of the shirt. I just made a little oops when putting together the comp in photoshop.

And now I've seen RGLEE's design:

Maiself Tai

I didn't see it before, or I wouldn't have finished mine. But I spent the time on it, so here it is. I have a tiki mug that inspired my drawing.

I really didn't see RGLEE's. I certainlly wouldn't have attempted to do the same theme when it was already done so well. His parasol kicks mine in the rear - among other aspects.

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
anneandkita wrote:This is totally minor, but it makes me uncomfortable anyway. The reflections in the water would both travel the length of the water reflection and they tend to taper off at the end, not just stop abruptly.



But the photo is of smooth water, choppy water reflections are different.

blammoed


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed

A resubmission with edits in color and detail, as my original is doing poorly.
All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Re: Fire Dancer



I've been working on fire styles. Look likes there's another awesome method that I didn't think of and I can't use because I don't want to be unoriginal. Plus it seems so unique that if anyone tried to use it, they would be spotted and heckled relentlessly. Way to raise the bar....

But seriously, awesome! Glad to see theres still stuff out there being discovered.

cooperfoyt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooperfoyt

Wolf Parade reference in the title? Or the British band...

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Re: Tiki Beast from 50 Fathoms



The detail of the tiki is awesome, and the style of the swimmer is great. Hope to see more along the same lines.

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Re: maiself-tai



Well, now my design just looks plane silly and unoriginal. Sorry, didn't see this entry before I submitted. I wanted to do mine for the Summer Derby, but I didn't have time, so I ended up doing a different tiki design:

My summer derby entry.

So I, like many others, I did a tiki design for this derby, but one inspired by a tiki mug I have.
I really didn't see your design. I'm sure mine won't catch up. You're design is awesome, you did a much better job on the parasol and a with a more exciting background.

nadamucho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nadamucho
Re: when pele blows



Yeah man, resubmit without the gradient action. Looks great though.

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:No halftones in this that I can see... maybe you were thinking of partial transparency? It does look like the designer might have used a transparent dark colour over the lighter ones, but upon closer inspection it's clear that just six colours were used, very carefully chosen.



I was thinking transparencies. stupid 'halftone' is like a damn buzz word... when it's late in the morning, sometimes I mistype.... it happens.

ieatrulers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ieatrulers
Re: Dancing in the dark



a lot better than the other fire dance one

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Re: de Pina Colada shirt


this is it for this derby people. vote if you like...


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

grumpy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grumpy
Re: Hula Pig arrives at the luau


Re: Hula Pig


This is what happened when Hula Pig arrived at the luau.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Luau Angel



Beautiful design! gmv

headie33


quality posts: 0 Private Messages headie33

Awesome! Thanks so much, I had fun with this one and I think its my best derby entry thus far!

kitekidette wrote:This one caught my eye and I kept going back to it..Its really cool!



toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Re: maiself-tai



your color choices on this are spot on rglee! evocative of the vintage aloha shirts of the 40s and 50s. great job and GMV!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
andrewg2 wrote:I've been working on fire styles. Look likes there's another awesome method that I didn't think of and I can't use because I don't want to be unoriginal. Plus it seems so unique that if anyone tried to use it, they would be spotted and heckled relentlessly. Way to raise the bar....

But seriously, awesome! Glad to see theres still stuff out there being discovered.



why would that be? It is a very effective way to draw fire, I don't think it's particularly new, just masterfully done. I'm afraid of it because I don't think I could do it as well, and there aren't that many opportunities to use 5 colors on flames. Maybe on a site where you can use 8 or 9 colors, you could use it to best effect.

well done, anyway!

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam

Doh!!! Good detective work! :P

toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
eHalcyon wrote:I think this is my favourite in the derby so far. That fire looks amazing. AnnaJo's flames were pretty spiffy too and she posted some tips in her shirt's thread. Would either of you two care to offer some more insight?



the main thing to remember when doing fire is that it's the light source in your image so it should be the brightest part of the design. the second thing is the shape. as long as you keep them kind of pointy and jagged you should end up with something that looks more or less like fire. my flames here are more abstract to fit the Matisse style we were going for, but the principle applies to any style. hope that helps!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
toe2254 wrote:the main thing to remember when doing fire is that it's the light source in your image so it should be the brightest part of the design. the second thing is the shape. as long as you keep them kind of pointy and jagged you should end up with something that looks more or less like fire. my flames here are more abstract to fit the Matisse style we were going for, but the principle applies to any style. hope that helps!



I think with fire, you could add subtle realism by adding highlights to your other stuff using halftones- not for the fire itself, but for the highlights it would add to the stuff around the fire. You'd get the same color as the brightest part of the fire, but much less bright, if you did it right.

...fire is seductive, isn't it?

Wonderbunny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Mechanical Island



I like the idea, but I think it would have been nicer in a different color scheme. Gray and brown together never seem to do it for me.

toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
caspianta wrote:cool design, but i'm not diggin the coloring. might be better in a really nice monochromatic arrangement maybe?



to add my two cents to Kristen's, a monochromatic color scheme, which is just shades and tints of a single color, wouldn't have worked here. i went with more of a analogous color scheme to capture the mesmerizing effect of the swirling flames. not something you can really do with monochromatic colors. although in hindsight i probably should have gone with more of a violet color for the stylized tribal smoke to stay within the analogous scheme. glad you like the design though! thanks!

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Black Flowers



Thanks for all the great feedback guys! This is just my 4th derby entry, so it helps to get advice from some of you who have been around here a lot longer. Thanks again and glad you like it!

toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Josephus wrote:I think with fire, you could add subtle realism by adding highlights to your other stuff using halftones- not for the fire itself, but for the highlights it would add to the stuff around the fire. You'd get the same color as the brightest part of the fire, but much less bright, if you did it right.

...fire is seductive, isn't it?



good point, Joe. oddly enough it had just occurred to me while typing my previous comment that using more halftones in this might have been helpful, but they still make me a little nervous. i use them a lot at work and in none woot designs, but with woot's somewhat dodgy restrictions i don't want to rely on them too much.

as for fire, i agree. it is extremely seductive.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: Luau? I'm ready!



Am I the only one who doesn't understand this shirt? I mean, I understand the luau-ness of it because of the palm trees, but I'm unclear on what the pink shape is supposed to be or the two buttons drawn on it.

bro3of4


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
Wonderbunny wrote:So I love the expression on the mermaids face but even as I women I would never wear this. Makes me feel all kinds of dirty because it doesn't appear there is any kind of covering what I think is a child and the whole image is skin tone. I think adding some sort coloring to the tail would be nice. I don't know how to explain it but a naked child is not ok where a naked women would be better (I'm sorry, I don't really know how to explain). Really well drawn though and like I said, I love the expression.



Thank You, Wonderbunny. I wasn't quite sure how to say exactly what was bothering me (other than saying something that wasn't quite true and would make Srglancy want to hunt me down and shoot me) and I thought maybe it's just me.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

skirochester


quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Luau Fire Breather


Thanks for the complements... I'm new to woot... and yes, that was my source. Can't you use a photo as a source? I still drew the illustration. And it is 6 colors.

atravis6


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atravis6
Re: Good Vibrations



I think it's brilliant. Got my vote!

rglee129


quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
andrewg2 wrote:Ohhh, and sorry about the flower on the parasol, if you look at the small image on the shirt, you'll see that it is the color of the shirt. I just made a little oops when putting together the comp in photoshop.

And now I've seen RGLEE's design:

Maiself Tai

I didn't see it before, or I wouldn't have finished mine. But I spent the time on it, so here it is. I have a tiki mug that inspired my drawing.

I really didn't see RGLEE's. I certainlly wouldn't have attempted to do the same theme when it was already done so well. His parasol kicks mine in the rear - among other aspects.



I like 'em both! Nice work, Andrew.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: de Pina Colada shirt



Much better halftone dots Taylor. Good job!

aerodino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
yankeebird wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't understand this shirt? I mean, I understand the luau-ness of it because of the palm trees, but I'm unclear on what the pink shape is supposed to be or the two buttons drawn on it.



I should have explained it right away. It is a plain drab brown WOOT shirt. Underneath the shirt is the pink Hawaiian shirt. The wearer is ripping off his/her drab shirt (that is a ripped hole in the shirt) in order to immediately join the festivities of the luau. If you look closely you can see threads that show the tearing of the shirt.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
bluchez wrote: Since when do designs really have to be on theme, right?



Aww...I hope this isn't/doesn't become the case. Some of us work really hard to create designs to fit the theme. If the themes/rules become irrelevant, then it's basically a freestyle derby each week.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
aerodino wrote:I should have explained it right away. It is a plain drab brown WOOT shirt. Underneath the shirt is the pink Hawaiian shirt. The wearer is ripping off his/her drab shirt (that is a ripped hole in the shirt) in order to immediately join the festivities of the luau. If you look closely you can see threads that show the tearing of the shirt.



OK, now I see it. That makes the frayed edges make sense too.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Luau Angel



Be sure to check out this late entry by Toe. It's fantastic. (I feel bad that you spent so much time on the earlier collabs with me and had to submit this one so late.) It's amazing Toe! I think I've liked every single one of your Woot entries!

Easily my favorite of the derby.

Chessiesmom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chessiesmom
JadenKale wrote:I wonder, Chessie, do you mean the shirt color being lighter or the ink being lighter? And she's right, Black on Navy is never going to print well or be seen at all.



Thank you dear! I often get things mixed up. Remember, I have 4 more months of confusion being able to be excused/blamed on anesthesia.

Siill, it is a neat design. I would just like to see it better- whether it is lighter ink or lighter shirt. I am not trying to criticize. Just my humble thoughts.

Briany


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Briany
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21753]


Hey, where are the Hanukkah stones?

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Tiki Goes A Surfin'


Nice job. Love the way the surf board looks. GMV.