bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
boni wrote:If you’re saying that looking stuff up is a mean thing, then you should understand that if you’re going to say mean underhanded things about peoples shirts, the least you should expect is for them to check out your standards for your own work in return. Same for posting a link to similar shirts. Whether it was an assist or not, probably not a good idea if you don’t want anyone to check and see if your shirt meets the same standard.

I don't believe that I ever said that I didn't want to be held up to any standards. I personally do not believe looking for similar shirts is out of line (even though, as I pointed out, I did not in fact do this). But, obviously, your sister did feel this way with her sarcastic response to my completely polite post. I was simply responding to the threat of someone looking up my entries.

Please, for all that is holy and good in this world, try to find a similar shirt to either of mine, and I will be the first to ask woot to reject my entries if similar shirts exist elsewhere.

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
Re: Hawaiizen

If you enjoy this design, please consider my resubmission of it, here.

blammoed

Re: Mechanical Island

Er, I reallyreally love this one. Very creative and stylized, especially the gears and island. Awesome.

blammoed

Re: Stranded

I love this one... great job Chad. Looks awesome on the shirt, too. They do allow resubmissions if you're interested. As long as you make enough changes to constitute a new design, and then just re-do the whole submission process with the new one. You're also allowed to delete your entries in case you want to go all-out for the new one. Best of luck!

blammoed

Re: Hibiscus Dreams

Wow EXCELLENT job, especially for your first submission! Love the rainbow colors and circular design, it's really beautiful.

Mind if I ask how you increased you image quality? Mine always seem to come up a bit muddy looking, even though I'm using high quality jpgs. I feel like I'm missing something *giggles*.

pm2501

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pm2501
Re: Slushed

Would GMV if the snowman running up the hill to stop his inebriated friend looked like he was saying "Nooooooo!" or it was otherwise clear that he was trying to stop the act before it was committed. At the moment, he looks like he's next in line.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Fire Dancer

this self-professed pyromaniac will vote for almost anything with fab-looking flames on it. GMV.

boni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boni
geekfactor12 wrote:Just chill bro, this is actually a pretty tame derby. If Woot feels the entry is legal according to their rules, it will remain. And that's as it should be.

I'm learning that... that this is tame, I mean. I guess I should have been reading more in the threads; I probably would have stopped there before posting anything. I really can't understand people being mean... I empathize too much with the target. I have no desire to feel that bad all the time. Anyhow, just to be clear, I have no problem with the link to a similar shirt. I was wondering how woot was going to handle rejections in this derby, even before any shirts were posted. I think the topic itself was asking for trouble, since so much as been done already in this area. Anyhow, the underhanded comment I was talking about was one made at the top of the thread. I guess it's one of the ones you didn't see as mean. Again, I have no problem with critiques, nor with posts of shirts people consider similar. I would expect both… I just wish … ahhh, not gonna repeat again, I’m beginning to sound like a broken record.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Luau Tiki Torches

I was taking some "heat" for my fire breather shirt design so I decided to start over. I respect artists rights and don't want to test the boundaries. So, using the same colors, I created the nighttime atmosphere of a Luau. I love the tiki torch as a symbol of summer nights and good times. Hopefully you'll agree. Please vote!

boni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boni
bluchez wrote:I don't believe that I ever said that I didn't want to be held up to any standards. I personally do not believe looking for similar shirts is out of line (even though, as I pointed out, I did not in fact do this). But, obviously, your sister did feel this way with her sarcastic response to my completely polite post. I was simply responding to the threat of someone looking up my entries.

She asked repeatedly for the post of a similar shirt, so I don't see how it is obvious that she thinks it's out of line to look for and or post a link to a similar shirt. I assumed she was saying that she thought her's was as similar to the one posted in her thread as yours is to the ones you can find online (in other words, not very). Since I was reading from that perspective, the only thing I could figure out that you might be talking about was that you thought looking up in the first place was wrong, specially since you made a point of mentioning that you didn't do it. Still wasn't sure tho, which is why I started with if. Thanks for the clarification.

blammoed

Re: Luau Tiki Torches

I must've missed out on seeing fire breather, so I'm not sure about all that. But I think this design is beautiful, I love the painted feeling it has, but how realistic the fire came out. Definitely atmospheric, well done!

bennisartstudios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennisartstudios

I like it! Strong and clean design. Cool abstract masks. If the design was printed a bit smaller, it would be more wearable for me.

Re: Tiki Tiki

bennisartstudios

I pledge aligence to vote for this shirt!

Re: Tiki USA

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Fire Dancer

@sokowa – thanks so much for your compliments. Coming from such a great artist, it REALLY means a lot to me! Your design is also very beautiful and I hope we can both stay in the fog!

@andrewg2 – No way, I have to claim to any certain technique! I posted my process for that reason

@earthart – I hadn’t thought that people may think that I had used it from a photo and just live-traced it or something (hmmm…damn that would have been soooooo much easier *giggles*). I suppose its good that I posted my layers to show that I’m not a thief Thanks so much for your comments. Good luck with your design as well, I truly love it!

@endangeredomega – I too am a pyro

Thank you to everyone who has voted so far and for so many nice comments on my thread. I’ve seen some not-so-nice comments on some other threads and I’m glad my design isn’t garnering any I’d probably have to lock myself in the bathroom or something …

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: eventide

I love sunsets, but I'm wondering if this is on topic. The reeds makes me think of a salt marsh or pond, not a hawaiian luau, Joe.

Or a beach near a salt marsh... and we're on the opposite coast from hawaii ;)

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

bennisartstudios

I agree, what a simple and totally wearable design.

blammoed wrote:Wow, what precise but simple design. You've hit it right on. Excellent job, and your shirt comp is very attractive, I have to say.

Re: Tiki USA

AnnaJo

shannangirl wrote:It looks like the wholfin farted out a flower.

*giggles*, I see what you mean and that actually made me laugh out loud! Regardless, I love the linework on this and I also love how the wholepin looks like he has some sick tribal tattoos! gmv!

bennisartstudios

WOW! This drawing is Crazy!

Re: Which Way to the Luau?

Tiki USA

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
female wrote:Nice color and linework, but the whole thing feels really stiff. She's straight up and down, and the trees are also. This kind of Muchaesque art usually has the female figure in a flowy 'S' shape. Still pretty nice.

thanks female! while it's true Mucha often did more lounging type poses they're not the only ones he did. i have been a huge fan of his work since college (and the Art Nouveau period in general) but i have nowhere near the talent he had. i confess i used this pose simply because it was easier. glad you like the design though. thanks again!

AnnaJo

Re: Tiki Chef Attack!

*giggles*, love the looks on the poor fruit! Love your tiki man too. I tried a design with a tiki man and it didn't come out right, but yours is great! gmv!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
boni wrote:I assumed she was saying that she thought her's was as similar to the one posted in her thread as yours is to the ones you can find online (in other words, not very).

As I stated before, if there are any even remotely as similar to my Olmec shirt as the one that is posted here, please help me out by posting it so I can contact woot about rejecting my entry.

happycupcake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happycupcake
Re: Vehicular Luau

I really enjoy this design and the concept of how you can still have fun in your own element when the world is drab.

It got my vote, best of luck!

happycupcake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happycupcake
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

It's so pretty! I really like how the bird's tails look different and how it's just so pretty over all. GMV!

AnnaJo

Re: Which Way to the Luau?

Damn, I wish i could draw cartoons...Great work, gmv!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Dancing in the dark

Re: Luau Girl

Thanks everybody for the comments and votes this week. Toe and I appreciate it!

And...mollib...what on earth did you do to get 30 hours of probation. That must be a mistake, no?

AnnaJo

Re: Tiki Island

Really like the style on this one. Your tiki man looks angry! gmv

Knough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Knough

Awesome idea and execution! I love it!

AnnaJo

Re: Who keeps drinking my Mai Tai?

I think its a good theory, certainly better than what I tell myself. Its the leprechauns...Damn drunken leprechauns... gmv

youngmc33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngmc33
Re: Volcano Go BOOM!

Why do I feel as though I've seen this submission before?

AnnaJo

Re: TREEmendously Original

Wow, I love the design and the detail in the image up close! gmv

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
happycupcake wrote:It's so pretty! I really like how the bird's tails look different and how it's just so pretty over all. GMV!

Thank you very much happycupcake for your vote and especially your great comments. Much appreciated.

AnnaJo

Re: Mechanical Island

I agree, VERY creative, gmv!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mia3mom wrote:I love sunsets, but I'm wondering if this is on topic. The reeds makes me think of a salt marsh or pond, not a hawaiian luau, Joe.

Or a beach near a salt marsh... and we're on the opposite coast from hawaii ;)

gosh mia, where did you get the idea these were reeds? They are grasses.

Personally, I've never been in a place as you describe. I saw similar grasses on South Padre Island 30 years ago, I know they abound throughout the Caribbean, and Mexico. and, they grow at the edge of the beach, among the dunes that grow above the high tide lines. not in salt marshes, whatever those are. There are also similar grasses in the Pacific as well, including some that have invaded. This is a scene of a sunset on the waves, nearly but not exactly

"moonlight on the waves: just thinking about it is almost enough to carry you out of your cubicle and whisk you away to the South Seas...We're not necessarily looking for anthropological accuracy - just designs that use this visual vocabulary."

Generally speaking, if you're at the beach, you don't see the palm trees, looking out over the water- if you see anything other than water and setting sun, you see something like I drew.

maybe it isn't 'Anthropological accuracy', but it sure is a beach scene, and evokes the right mood.

Thanks for the comment, I know I shouldn't be surprised to see doubtful comments now that my design has started flirting with the edge of the fog, I guess.

AnnaJo

Re: E KO ME HAWAI'I ALOHA

Wow, this is really great! I love your linework and your subtle use of color. The small details like the fish at the bottom really keep my eyes dancing around. voted!

AnnaJo

Re: Bird of Paradise

Ooooh I like this a lot! I love how the color just makes it pop, great work! gmv!

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Hibiscus Dreams

This is very cool! Although, how many colors is that? If it is only six, could you post a close up so that we can see how the colors blend? It looks like they change which could mean you might have more then six colors - which unfortunately is against derby rules.

female

quality posts: 0 Private Messages female
toe2254 wrote:thanks female! while it's true Mucha often did more lounging type poses they're not the only ones he did. i have been a huge fan of his work since college (and the Art Nouveau period in general) but i have nowhere near the talent he had. i confess i used this pose simply because it was easier. glad you like the design though. thanks again!

Yeah, that has a straight up and down composition, but if you notice he still put in a reverse S shape even though the figure is standing up straight. The shoulders are back, then it flows forward to the belly and then down and back again to the calves and then forward to the figure on the ground. I don't think Mucha would have done a figure completely straight up and down. Not knocking your entry, it's still great, but just a minor critique.

fablefire

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

There they are a dancing in a row... 2, 3, 4...

At a luau of course.

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
shannangirl wrote:It looks like the wholfin farted out a flower.

AnnaJo wrote:*giggles*, I see what you mean and that actually made me laugh out loud! Regardless, I love the linework on this and I also love how the wholepin looks like he has some sick tribal tattoos! gmv!

thanks AnnaJo, i guess i did not think about that when i drew it... funny. i was just envisioning a hibiscus image generated by the wake not flatulence. hahahaha

AnnaJo

Re: Get Leied

That is some sexy chest hair....don't know how appropriate it would be for me (i'm a woman) but i voted anyway. my boyfriend could wear it