sharptoothpiranha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharptoothpiranha

what am I doing wrong here? the image doesn't look right!

RandomUser69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RandomUser69
Re: Plumeria Paradise

Voting for this cause it's pretty. And no one makes green shirts!!!!!!

joyfilled

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joyfilled

Love this design -- so clean and simple, yet displaying theme so well! I hope I can buy one!

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Re: Tiki God (Not Happy)

Decided to go in and remove the dancer hat and focus on just the Tiki..on green for the seasonal "Luau" type..Let me know what you think by voting or not voting. Have a great week all!

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Kwatson29 wrote:Decided to go in and remove the dancer hat and focus on just the Tiki..on green for the seasonal "Luau" type..Let me know what you think by voting or not voting. Have a great week all!

And yes I think it needs something in the background..but I'm leaving this one be..for the week.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: panda vacation

I like this one, very cute. I'd wear it!

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

Cute idea, I like it, it's very different than all the others.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21753]

I love the subtle humor here.

mjc613

karma1apple wrote:I don't understand, it seems like you could get a shirt identical to this at any Wal-Mart or Target.

If you can, let us know.

mjc613

Re: Lei'd Back Pucker Plays Ukulele at the Luau

This might look better on a different background. RIght now it's sort of "My Old Kentucky Home Visits Hawaii for Christmas". I think the Ukelele needs to be smaller as well. Otherwise, I am liking this.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: eventide

Let me start off by saying,t hat I love the way you did the sun here.

Personally, I am getting more of a swampy feeling than a beach one. Maybe it's because you don't see sand, or anything commonly associated with a beach. While I get what you are trying to do with the picture, I don't really think you captured it well since you removed the items that identify the setting.One last thing, while the preview image looks nice, once I saw the larger version, I do not really like how you did the sky here.

Congrats on getting into the fog though.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

BigMonty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigMonty

Thanks for all the great comments! If you want to see a full size detail of the design, you can visit the following link:

Hibiscus Dreams

Solsburyhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solsburyhill
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

Wow, what a great idea, and beautifully executed.

cindyward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cindyward
Re: Luau Fever

Nice! Fun and tropical without being trite.

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Four-Stringed Hibiscus

Love this one! gmv, very unique!

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Lei'd Back Pucker Plays Ukulele at the Luau

I agree on the different background, but I really like your flowers and everything. gmv

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
AnnaJo wrote:I agree on the different background, but I really like your flowers and everything. gmv

The Christmas theme did not occur to me until just now. Maybe tomorroe I'll throw another up to see if it sticks, but I suspect any success my entry may have, at this point, might mess up the chances of another more deserving entry.

The proportions of the pucker/uke were not really given much consideration either. This is some good advice and constructive criticism for me to use in the future.

Thaks for the kind words and have a great day!

Giacomo9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Giacomo9
Re: Fire Dancer

thanks for the support for my design. Best of luck to you. Yours is my favorite of the derby

Giacomo9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Giacomo9
Re: Black Flowers

VERY cool shirt. Love the design and love the worn look. I hope you make the fog!

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: eventide

First, I love this and think it looks great. But, I also get a swampy feel. I've never been to islands in the Atlantic but I have been to Hawaii and honestly, I've never seen grass like this there. I think the theme is luau and more South Pacific then elsewhere. But I can't say that there aren't places like this in the South Pacific but on first glance, this reminds me of the grasslands/marshy areas near where I live (by the Great Salt Lake).

So this post is coherent. I guess my point is, that I don't think sun and beaches when looking at this. I think about the bugs and the marsh areas found many places that are no where near the ocean.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

I'm not really seeing the Liquid part of this. To me it just feels like it's blue. I'd suggest that you add more to the design to indicate that these plants are liquid. Maybe have them drip, as others have mentioned, or Flow, or maybe a translucent Branch/Vine that the liquid flows from. As it is, it really does need something to really give it that liquid feel. Because of this half done liquid concept, I can see why others think this has a generic feel to it. As is, it kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.teesforall.com/Corona_Extra_White_Hibiscus_Navy_Tube_Top-p-2299.html

Also, to your sibling, I can understand how you want to be protective, but the taking your ball and going home attitude is something that most of us have grown out of by high school. There will be more critiques of your sister's work, and as an artist, that is to be expected.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
Re: maiself-tai

verry confused right now... so does his drink go into his glass stomach and get used for energy therefor makeing him kill himself slowly and tastfully. or does he last for ever because he dosent have a stomach more of a reservoir.

cainja1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainja1
Re: The Pig Fights Back

I knew your design would succeed from the first sketch you posted on the blog. Great work and awesome details! you've got mad skillz my friend.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Wonderbunny wrote:First, I love this and think it looks great. But, I also get a swampy feel. I've never been to islands in the Atlantic but I have been to Hawaii and honestly, I've never seen grass like this there. I think the theme is luau and more South Pacific then elsewhere. But I can't say that there aren't places like this in the South Pacific but on first glance, this reminds me of the grasslands/marshy areas near where I live (by the Great Salt Lake).

So this post is coherent. I guess my point is, that I don't think sun and beaches when looking at this. I think about the bugs and the marsh areas found many places that are no where near the ocean.

I have been to many beaches and islands along the East Coast from Delaware to southern Florida and a few on the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama and Florida. All of those beaches look like this. I've been on every side of Oahu, Hawaii and saw nothing like this there.

cainja1

I know this is a late entry but i had this design in my head and I was away all weekend and couldn't draw it til this afternoon. I figured a unique and interesting shirt would fair well with the voters and still appeal to those looking for the typical hawaiian shirt look - just with a twist. Hope you like!

caspianta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
female wrote:This kind of Muchaesque art usually has the female figure in a flowy 'S' shape. Still pretty nice.

the two i have hanging right in front of me don't ;)

caspianta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
mjc613 wrote:While I did not see this particular set of shirts, I did see other "3- tshirts with a horizontal stripe of hibiscus. " If you think this shirt is similar enough to reject this entry, use the Tattle button. But I think woot already knows what's out there, and they haven't rejected this one yet.

By the way, since this shirt can not be purchased online (you have to call an 800 #), and it costs twice the price as woot, they may consider that this shop is not a competitor. You can ask.

i'm struggling to understand how the order method or cost affects the existence of a shirt's design as being similar (or not) to another? and i think also that some parties need to remember that no one is being accused of searching out an idea and recreating it to make profit off of someone elses' property but rather that there are similar shirts in existence and we'd rather have our precious woot days taken up with shirts that are significantly different than those available elsewhere.

cainja1

Re: Hibiscus Dreams

very trippy... i love the half-leaves throughout the design. Nice interpretation of the theme. best of luck!

cainja1

Re: Hot Tropic

This design is very different and unique compared to all the tikis and flowers in this derby. I really like the small graphic and retro silhouettes. The best part is the guitar necks sticking out of the pineapples though, very cool!

female

quality posts: 0 Private Messages female
caspianta wrote:the two i have hanging right in front of me don't ;)

You may think so, but I sincerely doubt it. Mucha did many female figures standing up 'straight', but even these figures usually had an 'S' curve in them, if not in their body than at least in the form of their clothing (not the detail wrinkles, but the actual shape).

These 'S' shapes and contrapasto poses, however subtly done, create a feminine action line and silhouette. Toe's illustration has a very straight action line, which is rigid and masculine. The skirt wrinkles running diagonally help to break this up a bit, but the form and silhouette are still straight up and down. (I won't even discuss the shape that she and the bottom flower create as I don't want to be crude, but it also adds to the masculinity of what should be a very feminine design.) Just my opinion of course. I would be all over this design with some subtle modifications.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
rachel1aaron wrote:I think this is a great use of the stained glass style you've been doing lately. It works especially well here! Also, thanks for the bird of paradise clarification in the other thread - you were right! Posted a reply there too. Way down at the bottom! :o)

You're welcome re: the bird of paradise. And, thanks for the comment regarding the 'stained glass style'. Glad you like it!

hotfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotfire
Re: (Title eaten by giant fruit.)

Adorable! But please, not on a cream shirt. That god awful cream color has kept me from buying many a shirt.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
female wrote:You may think so, but I sincerely doubt it. Mucha did many female figures standing up 'straight', but even these figures usually had an 'S' curve in them, if not in their body than at least in the form of their clothing (not the detail wrinkles, but the actual shape).

These 'S' shapes and contrapasto poses, however subtly done, create a feminine action line and silhouette. Toe's illustration has a very straight action line, which is rigid and masculine. The skirt wrinkles running diagonally help to break this up a bit, but the form and silhouette are still straight up and down. (I won't even discuss the shape that she and the bottom flower create as I don't want to be crude, but it also adds to the masculinity of what should be a very feminine design.) Just my opinion of course. I would be all over this design with some subtle modifications.

I actually like seeing these pictures all together Female. I think you've made a great comparison and it's certainly something that I'll keep in mind if I include ladies in future designs. I think the flowing S-shape certainly adds a greater flirty-ness and femininity to the final design.

But, looking at the derby as a whole, I still can't stop admiring Toe's work on his Luau Angel. I still think it's a beautiful design and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

ansharp

cainja1

Re: Tiki Treat

I think this is a fun and different design that deserves more votes than it has. I also am happy to see a non-cute shirt from the mind of jadenkale. As a guy this is just more appealing y'know? Anyways great shirt and color use. I wish more people appreciated this...

newkid7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newkid7
Re: Fire Dancer

Dang, whatever you did with that fire...it is just amazing!
Definitely has my vote!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Honu- spirit of Hawaii

A simple homage to the spirit of Hawaii, the honu. Hope it meets with your approval- I really like it.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ansharp wrote:I have been to many beaches and islands along the East Coast from Delaware to southern Florida and a few on the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama and Florida. All of those beaches look like this. I've been on every side of Oahu, Hawaii and saw nothing like this there.

My issue is that even if there is a beach, that doesn't say luau to me. if we suspend the fact that this looks marshy over beachy, and presume that grasses like this are found in Hawaii or Polynesia, it's still only a sunset over water by a beach. There's nothing on here to make me think of a luau. If I bought the shirt, and told people it was a luau, they'd laugh at me. If I didn't tell people anything, the only people who would say "ooh, a luau" would be wooters, some in ignorance because of the theme set forth, and some mocking because it's not on theme. The rest would say "sunset" or "marsh". It's arguably a good shirt (though I'd argue vehemently even against that part) but its not even vaguely on theme. If this is allowed, it makes me wonder why woot even bothers having themes at all.

And seriously, guys, you don't have to congratulate someone for making the fog unless you mean it. "I think this is totally off topic, but congrats for getting up there anyway" is incredibly backhanded. Say what you mean.

cainja1

Re: Plumeria Paradise

This design is so simple yet so amazing. Woot should print more stuff like this. Awesome work OpenDesign, I think you have reminded us what truly makes a solid shirt. This is it. I wouldn't be surprised if you stay on top of the reckoning list for a long time - this is assuming you will get printed. which you will.

ansharp

ansharp wrote:I saw, dude. Why?

I am an un-original person! llo. Harsh, man.

Btw, this shirt rocks, as usual.