kiliaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiliaa
female wrote:You may think so, but I sincerely doubt it. Mucha did many female figures standing up 'straight', but even these figures usually had an 'S' curve in them, if not in their body than at least in the form of their clothing (not the detail wrinkles, but the actual shape).

These 'S' shapes and contrapasto poses, however subtly done, create a feminine action line and silhouette. Toe's illustration has a very straight action line, which is rigid and masculine. The skirt wrinkles running diagonally help to break this up a bit, but the form and silhouette are still straight up and down. (I won't even discuss the shape that she and the bottom flower create as I don't want to be crude, but it also adds to the masculinity of what should be a very feminine design.) Just my opinion of course. I would be all over this design with some subtle modifications.

I love Mucha's work (even been to the Mucha museum in Prague), and I never consciously noticed that trend. That is awesome to see - thanks Female, for pointing that out. I learned something today!
Also, I like the detail work in this design - you should definitely continue experimenting with this style, Toe.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Mechanical Island

Thanks, ever-body.

SuperErin69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SuperErin69

I really dig this one! reminds me of a monty python creation or something. i hope you make it to the fog, 'cause i'll absolutely buy this!

SuperErin69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SuperErin69

alternately, this could solve the mystery of how the LOST island moves...

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Plumeria Paradise

I quite like the simplicity in this design and how the different elements (flower, water, sun, bird) all meld together into one coherent piece. However, it does remind me a great deal of Thrive from the Green derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
SkekTek wrote:Thanks! I love Hawaii. One of my favorite places on Earth. Wish we'd see more native wildlife in people's designs, but I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner (start of second week of class, and things are hairy).

I've never been...but I would love to go! Just got to live vicariously through books and pictures at this point.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
klswoot wrote: I've never been...but I would love to go! Just got to live vicariously through books and pictures at this point.

If you need any sort of inspiration about nature, just look up honeycreepers (iiwi, apapane, amakihi) or ohia-lehua. Outstanding diversity. And if you go above ~1500 feet, no mosquitoes!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
SuperErin69 wrote:alternately, this could solve the mystery of how the LOST island moves...

Wouldn't that be an amazing cliff hanger for Lost? At the end you see these little fins peddling... you should write for the show. It's good now, but it could be GREAT!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Honu- spirit of Hawaii

I really like this one Skek. Wish you had subbed it a few days ago, I'm sure it'd be sitting really pretty right now.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: maiself-tai

eww (dirty thoughts)

schroc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroc

I was hoping for a honu, my favorite Hawaiian animal! GMV =)

anneandkita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anneandkita
andrewg2 wrote:But the photo is of smooth water, choppy water reflections are different.

Actually it's a long exposure, the water is choppy. Regardless, even in choppy water, the reflections travel in a line.

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
Kwatson29 wrote:back at you! GMV

Thank you Kwatson29. Best of luck.

earthart

cmdixon2 wrote:Cute idea, I like it, it's very different than all the others.

Thank you cmdixon2. I am happy to hear you like it. Take care.

earthart

Solsburyhill wrote:Wow, what a great idea, and beautifully executed.

Thank you very much for the great feedback. Greatly appreciated. Take care.

anneandkita

P.S. I love the style of this shirt as I'm a huge windwaker and Curse of the Monkey Island fan. I love the clouds and how they go out of the edge of the sky background. It's expertly done and I love the design. The reflection just bothers me because I'm a picky be-yatch. Sorry!

Xijar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xijar

Brilliant. Can this please win.

Woots wooted: 5 - Shirts wooted: 17 + 6 Randoms

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
anneandkita wrote:P.S. I love the style of this shirt as I'm a huge windwaker and Curse of the Monkey Island fan. I love the clouds and how they go out of the edge of the sky background. It's expertly done and I love the design. The reflection just bothers me because I'm a picky be-yatch. Sorry!

ha ha, maybe that's part of a puzzle . . you need to arrange the reflection in the right way to make it look correct! then you get a giant monkey shaped triforce.

Foo228

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foo228

Undeniable charm.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Hey, that's pretty cool.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Luau Angel

This needs more votes. It is one of the most beautifule "T-Shirt" designs I have ever seen.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
cainja1 wrote:I love how this shirt looks like you can just escape right into the design. The sunset is perfectly illustrated. GMV

thanks much.

alftuba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alftuba
Re: Polynesian Mermaid

I think it's cute, infinitely weird (with the fleshy tail), NOT dirty, I'm a man, and I would wear it.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Passion Fruit

I like the color blend but the title is a little weird. This looks like an apple. This is passion fruit

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Wonderbunny wrote:I like the color blend but the title is a little weird. This looks like an apple. This is passion fruit

It has an awesome flower- even though I live in Maryland, I have it growing in my flower garden. I have Tiki torches in my shed too.

anneandkita

sokowa wrote:ha ha, maybe that's part of a puzzle . . you need to arrange the reflection in the right way to make it look correct! then you get a giant monkey shaped triforce.

:O :O Interactive t-shirts!! It'll be the next big thing!!!

Also, GMV because even with my issues, I think it's the coolest shirt in the derby and definitely belongs in the fog.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
tgentry wrote:I really like this one Skek. Wish you had subbed it a few days ago, I'm sure it'd be sitting really pretty right now.

Thanks, tg! Me too... I just never had the time to get it out of my head and onto a template. It's good to see it get love though

wootleey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootleey

Great pic, but its got that pedophile thing going on. It would be awkward as hell wearing this around anywhere.

mistermevans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistermevans
Re: E KO ME HAWAI'I ALOHA

Wow, this really deserves to win. GMV

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Nightshooter wrote:verry confused right now... so does his drink go into his glass stomach and get used for energy therefor makeing him kill himself slowly and tastfully. or does he last for ever because he dosent have a stomach more of a reservoir.

Yes.

mistermevans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistermevans
Re: Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

Hehe, nice shirt :D Although I think it might have been a tad better if the coconuts weren't all the same

dsgnGrl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl
Re: Bird of Paradise

Thanks! My goal has been to reach 100 votes, and it looks like I have a good chance this week.

jasonneumann25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonneumann25

Ya, this is a design I posted before. I made a couple small changes involving color and placement of certain elements. I hope thats not against the rules in anyway? Thanks for the post and remembering the previous design though.

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron

Verrry pretty! GMV

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
cobolisdead wrote:I actually like your upset tiki. For some reason it reminds me of Dragon Quest.

GMV!

Thanks! I really appreciate it! I am working out my own style in designs and trying to stick to my style...I like hand drawing things but it takes so long once you scan to photoshop then fill in the colors...I'm finding that that is taking all my time. Any suggestions to get a clearer border for scanning is much appreciated! I like photoshop, but I feel like I have to completely redraw the image once I get it into the application.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Slushed

Wooooo! Top ten! Let's go drink grape juice out of a large purple bottle

Kwatson29

earthart wrote:Kwatson, nice design. I think this is your best design yet. GMV. Keep up the good work and best of luck.

If you get a chance check out the simplified version of the Tiki...any feed back?

sharptoothpiranha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharptoothpiranha

Why does my image looks like carp? Anyone?

sharptoothpiranha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharptoothpiranha
sharptoothpiranha wrote:Why does my image looks like carp? Anyone?

I meant carp!

Kwatson29

blammoed wrote:FAVORITE.. love it, great work!, great movement. As metal as a luau can get. I want this shirt bad, oieoeoeheoieheoi.

I can't believe this shirt doesn't have more votes..it is the perfect "Luau" shirt, based on the theme for the week! Already GMV, but I just don't understand why it isn't collecting more votes, it's a great design!!!