cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: The Pig Fights Back

Let's get something besides those flowers back in the fog!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
dsladek wrote:I haven't had the time lately to submit anything but I thought I would see what's up on woot, both of your entries for this derby are really nice Sokowa! wonderful job, I really like the style! your the only one who gets my vote for this derby. Great work and best of luck!

Wow, thanks! I was wondering when we'd see your designs.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Josephus wrote:" hey, Joe, you really drew that left big toe really well. Every other single thing you did was horrid, and doesn't look anything like what a human actually looks like."

"nice job on not sucking when you drew the toe, though."

well, I am glad that you liked one part of my design. ;^)

Would you have rather him just give you all the negative and that's it? It seems to me that he was just trying to be nice and give constructive criticism. I would rather get a comment that started and ended with a something nice than just a flat out negative criticism. Maybe that's just me though. :-/

duhgonz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Eruption!

That's just way cool!! Plus she's hot too. I'm diggin' it!Where do I get one?

shonnelizabeth

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth
Re: Sunset Luau

This is my favorite shirt. I would say that it definitely captures the spirit of Hawaii. Even though it looks like theres no chance of it winning, its the best entry by far, in my opinion.

wattznext

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wattznext
BootsBoots wrote:Nice colors and very wearable.

Interesting secret web page...you are hot, and are wearing an appropriate amount of clothes!
keep it up!

bigbelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigbelly

I really like this design. It's great but her expression seals the deal for me. She's got that confident look on her face that says "I don't care what you think." She's only two, and she's a mermaid. What a tough life it is to be a mermaid.

moonwick wrote:There's absolutely nothing pedophile about this. If you think there is then I'd say you have more problems than you know...

Seriously, That's the first thing I though when I read that someone could find this design to be perverted. You have some hidden issues. A naked child is innocent, who can't see that. I'm a guy and I'm manly enough to wear this.

Nice design, srglancey

bigbelly

Re: Which Way to the Luau?

This Shirt is great. I absolutely love it. I hope I get the chance to buy one.The colors are perfect, even the shirt color, and the design is thoroughly entertaining. Very well done.

bigbelly

caspianta wrote:love the illustration, don't get me wrong...but there's just something about it that subtly screams NOT pg-13 to me...

I agree, I think it's the cleavage hanging down and the fact that she looks likes she's ready to take it from behind.

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer

No kidding right? I mean, the flower designs are nice and all (they really are), but this is the best entry out there right now. I love the fire dancer one too, I think that should definitely get printed, but if 2 shirts this week are flowery and decorative, and this one doesn't make it, I'd be sad.

slomer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slomer

grats on fog

erorc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erorc
Re: PandaSnacksNoTeeth

Not really sure what Pandas have to do with Luaus.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
theinfinityloop wrote:Would you have rather him just give you all the negative and that's it? It seems to me that he was just trying to be nice and give constructive criticism. I would rather get a comment that started and ended with a something nice than just a flat out negative criticism. Maybe that's just me though. :-/

no, I don't particularly need to hear that bit of sugar-coating. The comment was very clear as to their opinion, and the fact that they liked one part of the design may make them feel less bad about writing such a negative comment, but it doesn't change the rest of what they said. Had you quoted the rest of what I said, people who don't go back to my comment might recognize that I continued, as I truly wanted (and still want) to know what they wanted me to have done in the sky that so turned them against the design. I even made and put up a higher resolution image to better show what the sky looks like, and asked them to tell me. The comment could have been useful had I gotten a measured response from the author, and may still be useful. Constructive criticism doesn't just say "I hate the way you did the sky", constructive criticism tells you what you did to the sky that they hated, and really valuable criticism tells you what they think would make the sky work.

As it is now, I like the way I did the sky. I did not try to intermingle the 'woot halftones', for fear that they'd decide they were "complicated halftones" and reject them. Maybe the sky color dots were too big? I just don't know, but I'd like to.

Truly, the original comment left me bemused, even a little amused, but not really upset. I made up what I thought was a funny response about drawing the toe to give a little perspective about how I read their comment.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

Earth- This one is doing really well for you. I think you made a good call by only submitting one of the two designs. Seems folks like this one, so you probably kept the best of the two.

Good luck!

SlowDecay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SlowDecay

Hi guys,

Take a look at my submission Luau Dream here http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21837 it's my first on woot.
Hope you like it.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Josephus wrote:no, I don't particularly need to hear that bit of sugar-coating. The comment was very clear as to their opinion, and the fact that they liked one part of the design may make them feel less bad about writing such a negative comment, but it doesn't change the rest of what they said. Had you quoted the rest of what I said, people who don't go back to my comment might recognize that I continued, as I truly wanted (and still want) to know what they wanted me to have done in the sky that so turned them against the design. I even made and put up a higher resolution image to better show what the sky looks like, and asked them to tell me. The comment could have been useful had I gotten a measured response from the author, and may still be useful. Constructive criticism doesn't just say "I hate the way you did the sky", constructive criticism tells you what you did to the sky that they hated, and really valuable criticism tells you what they think would make the sky work.

As it is now, I like the way I did the sky. I did not try to intermingle the 'woot halftones', for fear that they'd decide they were "complicated halftones" and reject them. Maybe the sky color dots were too big? I just don't know, but I'd like to.

Truly, the original comment left me bemused, even a little amused, but not really upset. I made up what I thought was a funny response about drawing the toe to give a little perspective about how I read their comment.

hrm, you really don't make it easy for people to comment on your designs ( whether it's a good comment or a bad one) do you.
I prefer hearing good and bad even if it's from the same person in the same post. Maybe they don't know what works but they still wrote a comment that didn't sound demeaning. I wrote a small comment about length of time in derby vs. rejection and it was picked apart. People don't have the energy to write posts just the way you want them. So long as someone isn't rude, let them comment the way they want. If they have time to further explain their reasons AWESOME, if not, oh well, they aren't paid to provide examples.

oogyboogawa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oogyboogawa
Re: pig roast

I like the style used for the pig and for the fire, but it just seems strange that the fire is coming out of the pig rather than being below the pig to roast it.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

There sure have been a lot of fog shake-ups in this derby. I'll be biting my nails this weekend! l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
Kwatson29 wrote:Any suggestions to get a clearer border for scanning is much appreciated! I like photoshop, but I feel like I have to completely redraw the image once I get it into the application.

rglee posted this last derby - helpful.

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2532335&PageIndex=7&ReplyCount=284#post2537969

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Luau Dream

WOW. This is an AMAZING drawing. I love the detail and I like the simplicity as well. GREAT JOB, love this, gmv!

SlowDecay

Got the dates mixed up, so it's a bit late.

Hope you like, it's my first submission!

Go here to vote- http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21839

AnnaJo

Re: Mt. Hibiscivus Erupts!

I like this one alot! Your flowers are really cool gmv!

SlowDecay

AnnaJo wrote:WOW. This is an AMAZING drawing. I love the detail and I like the simplicity as well. GREAT JOB, love this, gmv!

Thanks very much, it means alot.

AnnaJo

Re: Tiki Troop

I LOVE these little tiki men. I'm just hoping it won't count as text. REALLY well done! GMV

AnnaJo

Re: Luau Gone Sour

I love how they the skulls are gently resting on a bed of flowers Great illustration, gmv!

srglancey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srglancey
Re: Hula Pig arrives at the luau

Hilarious parody. I wish the pigs had been in keeping with the same style as the background, though. I think it would have made the design immensely successful.

cobolisdead

Re: eventide

Personally, I think maybe have a solid magenta center, and then use a more subtle halftone around the edge using smaller halftones.

Personally, I get what you are saying, but I'm just trying to help by giving you my opinion. but take it how you will. I like the sun and it's reflection, but other parts of it, just don't look right to me. Such as using Black for the sand and water, as it gives that Swampy look to it.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

cobolisdead

SailorButterfly wrote:There sure have been a lot of fog shake-ups in this derby. I'll be biting my nails this weekend! l o l

Me too! I'd really like to get this shirt!

OpenDesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OpenDesign
Re: Luau Dream

Great design, but you'll need to pull the drawing at least 1" away from any of the seams so woot can print it. I would remove and resubmit so it doesn't get rejected, and then you'll definitely have my vote!

SlowDecay

OpenDesign wrote:Great design, but you'll need to pull the drawing at least 1" away from any of the seams so woot can print it. I would remove and resubmit so it doesn't get rejected, and then you'll definitely have my vote!

OK will do thanks for the advice

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
OpenDesign wrote:Great design, but you'll need to pull the drawing at least 1" away from any of the seams so woot can print it. I would remove and resubmit so it doesn't get rejected, and then you'll definitely have my vote!

To reiterate, woot does not print on the collar, on the shoulders, on the sleeves, or within one inch of the left, right, and bottom seams. I recommend you take a look at these unoffical rules before resubmitting. That being said, nice artwork and welcome to the woot community.

wolfroolz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfroolz
Re: Dolphins

I really love this. I am not sure how much it screams Luau to me, but I would buy a shirt like this in a minute. In for 2 if it makes it. Good luck.

moosejoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosejoose

Love the shirt, Tgent character's facial expressions are always perfect!!

abelleauc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abelleauc

[quote]Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21719]E KO ME HAWAI'I ALOHA

Nice design.

Could you translate the Hawai'ian phrase for us? Thanks.

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts

I may have to get this for my neighbor who just had a pig roast.

Josephus

Josephus wrote:no, I don't particularly need to hear that bit of sugar-coating. The comment was very clear as to their opinion, and the fact that they liked one part of the design may make them feel less bad about writing such a negative comment, but it doesn't change the rest of what they said. Had you quoted the rest of what I said, people who don't go back to my comment might recognize that I continued, as I truly wanted (and still want) to know what they wanted me to have done in the sky that so turned them against the design. I even made and put up a higher resolution image to better show what the sky looks like, and asked them to tell me. The comment could have been useful had I gotten a measured response from the author, and may still be useful. Constructive criticism doesn't just say "I hate the way you did the sky", constructive criticism tells you what you did to the sky that they hated, and really valuable criticism tells you what they think would make the sky work.

sokowa wrote:hrm, you really don't make it easy for people to comment on your designs ( whether it's a good comment or a bad one) do you.
I prefer hearing good and bad even if it's from the same person in the same post. Maybe they don't know what works but they still wrote a comment that didn't sound demeaning. I wrote a small comment about length of time in derby vs. rejection and it was picked apart. People don't have the energy to write posts just the way you want them. So long as someone isn't rude, let them comment the way they want. If they have time to further explain their reasons AWESOME, if not, oh well, they aren't paid to provide examples.

I really didn't intend that my response be as off-putting as it clearly was to you. Maybe their comment wasn't intended to be the back-handed compliment that I (and, I think, Adder) took it for- they have since given a pretty detailed and really useful comment, which I'll respond to as soon as I finish this apologetic reply to you.

I also didn't think my response to your comment was to pick it apart- I certainly didn't intend that it do so. Your comment was this one, I think:

sokowa wrote:Hrm, I wouldn't trust the whole "Woot went through twice already" feeling. I had entries that were fogged from day one that were rejected on a Tuesday.
Woot doesn't look at entries much over the weekend it seems.

Not saying this will get rejected, just that the argument that it has made it this far is no longer valid (goes for any shirt too). FWIW, I wish the colors were livelier to represent the happiness that is a luau. This kinda makes me feel gloomy :/

I responded:

Josephus wrote:heh. 'trust' and 'hope' are two different creatures entirely, aren't they?

that would be a fun theme- depict an abstract noun: hope, hate, trust, etc.

If it seemed like I was picking your comment apart, please believe me that I wasn't.
I intended that this response show that I appreciated your comment and gave a light reply. Maybe the word 'hate' in there was a bad choice, huh? I was having a hard time coming up with nouns of that type. I still think it would be a fascinating theme/topic.

I do try to answer the comments, and I am truly sorry I annoyed you, since your designs are always well-crafted and a pleasure to see, and well worth emulating. I really don't mean to annoy anyone.
//hangs head.

Josephus

cobolisdead wrote:Personally, I think maybe have a solid magenta center, and then use a more subtle halftone around the edge using smaller halftones.

Personally, I get what you are saying, but I'm just trying to help by giving you my opinion. but take it how you will. I like the sun and it's reflection, but other parts of it, just don't look right to me. Such as using Black for the sand and water, as it gives that Swampy look to it.

thanks very much for getting back to me. I want you to know that I appreciate your viewpoint. I would certainly have made the sand and the water lighter colors, had I only thought of it. I also seemed to have miscounted the colors, as I only ended up using 3, so that would easily have been done. I think smaller sky halftones probably would have made it look better too. The smaller they are, the bigger the risk that woot will decide they aren't going to print them, and that's mostly why I made them so big- of course I made the ones in the sun much smaller (and deleted a lot around the edges that were smaller than their limit of 1 point), so that excuse doesn't entirely work.
I'm baffled that everyone sees a swamp, by the way. :^)

thanks for your suggestions, I will certainly take them into my future designs.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
female wrote:You may think so, but I sincerely doubt it. Mucha did many female figures standing up 'straight', but even these figures usually had an 'S' curve in them, if not in their body than at least in the form of their clothing (not the detail wrinkles, but the actual shape).

These 'S' shapes and contrapasto poses, however subtly done, create a feminine action line and silhouette. Toe's illustration has a very straight action line, which is rigid and masculine. The skirt wrinkles running diagonally help to break this up a bit, but the form and silhouette are still straight up and down. (I won't even discuss the shape that she and the bottom flower create as I don't want to be crude, but it also adds to the masculinity of what should be a very feminine design.) Just my opinion of course. I would be all over this design with some subtle modifications.

I dunno.. I think that the dress swirling to the right shows the S shape even better than than the middle picture on the top.

cluelesswaif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cluelesswaif

thanks. I thought it was a funny idea. Osama bin laden lounging on a beach somewhere. Which is probably why no one can find him. I thought it was a funny way of being political without being offensive. Guess no one else thought it was as funny as I did. So it goes...

auntiesash wrote:So - I love the overall feel of this shirt. Not so much the dude, but the minimalist, chalk feel of the landcape is neat. I hope you'll do this up for a camping theme or a desert or something.

devmike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devmike

Clearly far too good to win.