+ Add a Comment

swimmin247

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmin247

Hey, this is like my second try at the derby I would really appreciate comments of any kind.

_The Edinator_

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

kdeuce wrote:pirates? yumyum.

You never can tell until you take the first bite.

armeleia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages armeleia
Re: Slushed

This one is my favorite this derby, I think... very creative. Very much... NOT something you could just pick up at Pacific Sunwear. GMV!

Please vote for these shirts because I really, really want to buy them:
The Night Shift
Hey, wait up... you are my best friend
Helium: Octo's Great Adventure

armeleia

Re: Tiki Beast from 50 Fathoms

Your linework and use of color is always so fantastic. GMV!

The Night Shift

swimmin247

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmin247
erina7262 wrote:I dont get it...

Yeah, it could have been put across better...a lot better.

_The Edinator_

armeleia

Re: Luau Fire

Very pleasing design... love the swirls. The reflection on the water is also really nicely done. GMV!

The Night Shift

hmmxkrazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
Re: i wish i had an oven

resubbed cause i forgot to clothe his lower half. llo.

crazyharry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyharry
Re: Fire Dancer

Wow, I've tried things kind of like this before, but never with such detail or success. That's really impressive. GMV!

haxrox

quality posts: 9 Private Messages haxrox

I really like the execution, bvillarreal. It's a classy design, and clearly there's a market here for it.

It's a shame that some commenters think that constructive criticism means a blunt evaluation. Bashing a design does not emotionally equip all artists to improve, even if you feel you're pointing out a truth. The "constructive" part is about approach, like using tact and kindness, not intent.

Boni, I really appreciate your stats site; any chance you'll keep it up?

choas2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages choas2k
Re: Polynesian Mermaid

Well I must say this is my most favorite!! What great detail in the hybiscus!! Your shirt this week hits two of my most favortie things in the world, Hawaii and hybiscus flowers!!!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Fire Dancer

I'm not sure if woot can print the fire, but it looks great. good luck!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

BigMonty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigMonty

I reuploaded this design with higher quality images. Please revote!

kberberick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kberberick
Re: SWINE TIKI

perfect for Razorback country. Sooie!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: i wish i had an oven

Ummmm......

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Luau Girl

2thFairy wrote:Wow wow wow!! This is fantastic. And from two of my favorite people, even!

Nice work, toe and kls!

*giggles*! Thanks 2th. I thought you might like this one!

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

Wow. I had absolutely no expectation of getting more than my usual 25 votes. I was drawing hibiscus - my favorite flower with its great big phallic stamen and gorgeous petals - when my lines began to take on the appearance of liquid - I rounded some of the corners and made a spout of water in the center for the stamen and thought I had created an original liquid-hibiscus design - I had fun working on this until around 1:30am over here in Southern California where we are surrounded by beautiful hibiscus.
Thank you Thank you Thank you for all the votes and I really don't mind the criticism - I like my creation and am happy some others do too.
Thanks for the awesome defense you guys - Boni and Uhuhhuhh
Here's my original sketch:

and a closer-up of the flower so you can see my attempt at liquification:

I haven't finished reading the scathing comments, but will shortly!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Tiki God Awakens

DK - I really like this. I especially like the wood grain texture that you made. I'm surprised this one isn't doing better. It has a eerie calm to it. Well done!

bvillarreal

hmmxkrazee wrote:Originality takes the lead once more. :P

Thanks - I've never heard that before ; )

jcochrane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcochrane
Re: Tiki Torch

I LOVE THIS SHIRT!!!

Slug

jcochrane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcochrane
Re: Tiki Face

Great Shirt!!!

bvillarreal

dekonstruct wrote:hahaha, I was literally seconds away from doing this type of design, but then I couldn't live with myself afterward. That's just me though.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - sorry I didn't produce something that pleases you - if you want to offer advice for something that will get more votes, I sincerely will listen and apply your advice to my next effort.

bvillarreal

hasdgfas wrote:This is literally the same flower copy/pasted 5 times. Why is this getting votes?

It's the same outline, yes. I wanted it to be a pattern. I'm usually comfortably low on the list and don't get to hear constructive feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share.

bvillarreal

SkekTek wrote:Actually, people still make this type of design- check out Crazy Shirts. My favorite island t-shirt source. But this design is very wearable, which is why it's getting votes.

Hey, this comment seems positive! Thanks ; )

brydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brydesign
Re: Midnight Luau

Wow! This is even better than your candy goddess! Good Luck, gmv.

bvillarreal

meh3884 wrote:umm, sorry but can some one explain how this is not a copy of, I don't know, every hawaiian shirt ever made?

I explained with the post of my original sketch. I'd be glad to clear up any further cloudiness on the subject, if you'd like.

blindgirlbrokenheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blindgirlbrokenheart

PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT
and shake it all up
shake shake shake
a shake shake shake
put lime in coconut
shake it shake it

bvillarreal

mlovesr wrote:Don't sweat it folks- it will probably get rejected. Not because it's uninspired, etc., but because similar shirts already exist...

I explained my original take - be glad to take a look at those similar shirts.

bvillarreal

Kwatson29 wrote:For some reason copy and pasting into a pattern is getting votes...2nd time seen this style and it got same votes off the start...maybe I'll try this next time. If it gets the votes, then something has to be done right.

Thanks?

p4tner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p4tner
Re: Sunset Luau

Is it just me, or does this look an awful lot like this?

http://www.filmsite.org/speeches/gonewiththewind.jpg

ISO30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21718]My Sister's Things Are Never Safe (

Cool artwork... it's like a Hawaiian Sid. :-)

bvillarreal

boni wrote:I am thoroughly embarrassed to be part of a community that would treat a fairly recent addition like this just because her design is doing well.
Particularly since it is someone I encouraged to join. Yes, she used the same flower to create a pattern, but it worked because the flower was very well drawn and color was used exceptionally well. She has neither the time nor the resources that most of you use to create your designs - having a more than full time job, a family, and only paper, pencil, an old scanner and Photoshop Elements to work with and yet, she still manages to create designs that people like.
I loved the idea of shirt.woot... I think it could have been a great place to have fun with design and offer encouragement and support to those new to the game, but that isn't what it is...
Congratulations, bv, on being in the fog… I wish you the best of luck!
And thus ends my interest in anything shirt.woot related...

Aaah... Boni, it's okay. They don't really mean it. Or maybe they do. As soon as fall out of the fog they'll forget all about me and be on to the next - I really didn't expect to do well with this and appreciate the votes - don't leave, it will all be better tomorrow! (Usually people just hate me because I'm beautiful ; )

bvillarreal

Trickee04 wrote:I love this shirt, personally. It's mine and my girlfriend's favorite flower. I certainly hope that even if it doesn't win, you'll put it on threadless or bountee or some other shirt place. I'd definitely buy it.

Wow! another positive comment! I love you, Trickee04 - you just made me put down that bottle of pills and reach for a heffeweizen!!! I am completely kidding, of course (about the pills not the beer)- but your compliment is greatly appreciated.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Midnight Luau

I really like this. I like the colors you used. They're kind of reminiscent of colors you'd see on a cheesy tourist shirt (so is the woman), but you made them both mature and beautiful. Good good good.

bvillarreal

MockingbirdSymphony wrote:I'd hate to be a broken record, but I'll be it anyway. It's a cool shirt, but one you could get something similar to pretty much anywhere. I hope you continue to make shirts, I'm sure you'll improve. Either way, congrats on making it into the fog. Apparently a lot of people like it, whether they say it or not. Actually, I think the title you gave it is cooler...but I like words. Welcome to shirtwoot, by the way. :D

Thank you, MockingbirdSymphony - see my explanation for the title and detail and justification earlier in the thread.

bvillarreal

uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:I think Wonderbunny is absolutely right about the anonymity of the internet bringing out the worst in some people. There is a fine line between criticism and cruelty, and I would say that a lot of posts in this thread have crossed that line.

What ever happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt? Can you all so quickly assume that this person churned out something they didn't put their heart and talent into and is simply pandering to the voters for the cash?

Lets say that is the case. Turn that microscope on yourselves. How many of you take time out of your lives to create something, then go through the trouble of submitting the design to woot with absolutely no intention of, or interest in winning? I like designing and challenging myself creatively, but I could do that without entering a contest.

This is a contest. It is also a business that is here to make money, just like everyone else who submits a design hopes to do. If she submitted this design because she knew it would get votes...she played the game better than the rest of you. Problems with that? Step it up yourselves, or quit bitching.

I happen to know this person personally, and I can attest to the fact (like Boni did previously) that she has more artistic integrity than any three submitters on this site (myself included) combined. She worked hard on this design in what little free time she had, and indicated to me absolutely no intent to "pander" to the voters. She succeeded in creating something that made her happy AND is being accepted by a large number of people. I'm not asking that she receive any special treatment because she's new, or because I know her and her intentions...just the benefit of the doubt.

Some of you are so quick to judge. At the risk of sounding like a bleeding heart, I wonder if you all are the same people that get pissed and cuss at slow drivers before you get close enough to see the purple heart on the license plate and that they have no legs...

Wow. Thanks, Derek. You should run for President.

uhhuhhuhhuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh
sokowa wrote:RAAAAAAAAAWR :P

Ummm.....MOOOOOO??? :/

GoldBerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoldBerry
Tamralynn1 wrote:Hey, love the shirt, very fun!!! Well Done GB!!!

Thank you very much, glad you like it!

bvillarreal

haxrox wrote:I really like the execution, bvillarreal. It's a classy design, and clearly there's a market here for it.

It's a shame that some commenters think that constructive criticism means a blunt evaluation. Bashing a design does not emotionally equip all artists to improve, even if you feel you're pointing out a truth. The "constructive" part is about approach, like using tact and kindness, not intent.

Boni, I really appreciate your stats site; any chance you'll keep it up?

Thank you haxrox. I can take it - I really only do this because it is fun and I wouldn't let a few - really a lot a lot - harsh critiques ruin it. My next goal is to convince Boni that she should stay!

bvillarreal

Re: Pacific Sunset

Nice design Derek! It's so sunshiny and positive over here in your thread!

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
Re: Polynesian Mermaid

Really cute and a great illustration. . . but there is absotively posilutely no way I would wear this. I would feel so uncomfortable and all types of wrong wearing this. I think you cut your potential voters in half with the 'girl-y' factor.

Would make a cute poster or framed picture for a beach house, though.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.