camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor

I like the subtlety - I'm really glad you didn't make a hacky colorful gnome.

GMV

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
IndependentVik wrote:I've been on the watch for a great brown design, and this might very well be it. The look of contempt on the ant's face is great. If you don't mind my asking, what are the two rooms with the little brown and little gold orbs about? Food storage of some kind?

Great design, toe!

yes. for those not familiar with the fable, the ant spends the summer months gathering food while the grasshopper spends his time singing and playing. when winter comes the ant is prepared but the grasshopper has nothing.

as a kid it was one my favorites of Aesop's Fables.

marisse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marisse
yankeebird wrote:Should we assume this is a side print? It's doubtful woot will do that - they've only done it twice (I believe) before, and neither was a derby entry.

Yes, this is a side print that continues onto the back of the shirt. I know - it's risky, but I'm willing to take that chance! Thanks for your input.

Kilagria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilagria
Kidgoldstein wrote:Let me know your thoughts and if the color of shirt is a good choice. Thanks in advance.

typical stereotypical racist shirt! Sigh, people these days..

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Shall We Dance (resub on Olive)

Very nice! I like the original version, but the window is a good addition. It sort of balances it out.

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Taste Buds Meet Mr. Dangly-ball

that's funny : )

houmadesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Josephus wrote:eH is right, as usual. The black tree won't show at all on the navy shirt. I'm afraid you've been deceived, like many before, by the lightness woot chose to use for the navy shirt. It is very very nearly black in person.

I'm not sure about the purple, but I suspect that it will be very dim too.

Does anyone have an example of what it will look like?

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24647]The Ant

Oh man, this is great! It is simple and yet not, all at the same time. Very expressive..

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: People of the Fireflies

I think they should be called "glow"flies instead of fireflies. I mean they're not really on fire. It's a little misleading to those who expect to see flaming insects flying around.

Anywho, despite the invisible tree, this is still a "perfect for woot" design. Good job choosing your idea.

Poopelyse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Poopelyse
Re: Chinese in Fine China

why are these people and panda getting eaten?

gangshik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gangshik

I agree, people think being racist towards Asians is just funny. PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES!?

godierst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godierst
Re: Gentleman World-Eater

One of the most awesome-ly weird shirts I've ever seen. GMV.

Plus, it has a monocle.

houmadesigns

Perhaps with more red behind the black the black would become more apparent because of the negative space.

sirrix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sirrix

Great lookin shirt but I'm not sure it follows the theme of the Derby challenge...

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: Very Tiny People Make Our Candy.

Perhaps this isn't a Reese's at all, but more of an Icy Cup. Not all candy resides in America, you know. ;)

tbrcelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
gangshik wrote:I agree, people think being racist towards Asians is just funny. PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES!?

If anyone other than a Chinese person wore the shirt, it'd be racist.
I think you're allowed to make racist jokes about your own race, right?
Correct me if I'm wrong...

WWBD?

SpastasticNomadic

Re: Explanation for my Passion, or lack there of

As soon as I saw the thumb, I knew this was a Boots. Great work. And I'd love to be able to wear this one to just point at my shirt to explain my oft-procrastinating ways.

SpastasticNomadic

Re: Big Words

As a writer, I'd love to have this one. Perhaps it could even serve as some sort of inspiration for me to put pencil to paper on a more regular basis. After all, if the little guys can do it...

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
dmkooo wrote:Cute concept! Since you asked, there is something that is a bit disturbing about the boy...not quite sure what it is. Shoulders? One leg? Baldness?

Hey, thanks for the comments and constructive criticism. My strong points are definitely not people, as you may have noticed. The kid is bald because he's a small child and every attempt to put hair on him just failed miserably l o l. Also, there is a trace of a leg in the back, I guess I should have made it more pronounced. Thanks again for the comments, it does help to know what others think about what you're doing.

tbrcelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
Re: Droplets

Very cool concept. +1

WWBD?

SpastasticNomadic

Re: Nanonauts

Again, really nice. I always love your choices and use of colour. The placement is perfect as well. GMV.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

In all likelihood, you would only be able to see the glowing fireflies and the village. The purple would only be visible close up and the black only if you put your nose to the shirt. If you want to make changes to your colors, remove this entry, and resubmit. It's early enough that I suspect you would get all your votes back.

byrbwr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

that ant is just a jerk; alright, so the grasshopper is ill-prepared for the winter. i think the ant could throw him a bone and let him at least crash on the sofa for a few days 'til he finds a place of his own.

byrbwr

this is pretty.

byrbwr

this is so kafkaesque.

bugzappers2112

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bugzappers2112
Re: Confined

got my vote.

mini worlds.. this fits right in.

mini snowglobe..

some people just can't see outside the envelope.

You can Woot! if you want to, you can leave Amazon behind, because if you don't buy the Woot! from the real Woot!, then you're, no friend of mine. Say we can Woot!, we can Woot!, they're doing it from home to home.

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
camoor wrote:This is so imaginative and stylish.

Thank You!
:c)

byrbwr

when this doesn't print, please print elsewhere and notify me. thank you.

houmadesigns

ansharp wrote:In all likelihood, you would only be able to see the glowing fireflies and the village. The purple would only be visible close up and the black only if you put your nose to the shirt. If you want to make changes to your colors, remove this entry, and resubmit. It's early enough that I suspect you would get all your votes back.

Can anyone point me to examples of black and purple on navy that didn't print well? Before I resubmit it I'd like to see just how it will turn out like it is. Thanks.

ansharp

Re: The Dandy Lion

This discussion started off productive and now has been (as usual) marred by ugly personal attacks. Here are a few bullet points of my thoughts (in no particular order) since I largely started this debate:

1. I said the other artists could sue, but I didn't say they'd win. In all likelihood, they'd just be offended. Do I think kdeuce went over to Threadless and said, "Where's a good idea that I can copy for this derby?" No, of course not, and I would never imply such a thing.

2. It is difficult to create something new, that is true, but many people do it every week. Should ideas that have already been proven to succeed be allowed in a competition against creative ones? That is a sincere question, but I imagine I won't agree with most of the responses.

3. Whether or not kdeuce could have pulled this entry on his (?) own is irrelevant now. If you think the entry should be removed, then please tattle and include appropriate links or at least a link to my post above.

4. Yes, some people prefer to use the woot derbies to display their original art instead of catering to the masses in order to win. We would all like to win, but won't sacrifice our integrity to do so. I know at least one person who never expects to get more than 20 or so votes (even though her stuff is great and very unique) and mostly enters for the hope of woot noticing and awarding her with an HM.

5. Adder is not a she, and that would be obvious to anyone who has read a decent number of his posts.

6. He is not the only person around here who consistently despises the voters choices. He's just the only one willing to sacrifice his good name for the cause. When more and more people are speaking up and saying they agree with the voice of dissent, doesn't that usually signal a problem?

ainagurl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ainagurl
Re: My Trikey!

Oh what a cute shirt, how creative!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? < snip >

quite possibly the best post I've ever seen on the internet

tsura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsura
AdderXYU wrote:lets look at this from a techie standpoint then.

You start your own computer care company, Nerdputer LLC. You have to charge a little more for the service, but you do the best damn service you can. So some other dude sees your success, and offers the same thing... calls his place CompuNerd, undersells you by at least $20 an appointment, and while he does a worse job, he works out a deal with a big local electronic retailer. Do you feel no shred of anger at this?

It's a thought question, so you needn't answer. I'm just thankful you've proven my point... it's more about me-me-me than about actual worth of print.

so are you talking about walmart?

ansharp

septober wrote:This is an absolutely brilliant design, from the viewpoint of a nurse, and the mother of a cancer victim. Our son had leukemia, and wanted to be an astronaut, so now his ashes orbit every 90 minutes. This definitely gets my vote. I'd buy several.

Wow, that's beautiful. I hope this shirt gets made just for you.

tsura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsura
jamescho84 wrote:A long rant.

but you have to agree that shirt.woot's site could use a little spiffing up. right?

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
sirrix wrote:Great lookin shirt but I'm not sure it follows the theme of the Derby challenge...

It's like a Toy Story thing. There's a mini world of toys going on around beneath you when you're not looking.

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer
ansharp wrote:This discussion started off productive and now has been (as usual) marred by ugly personal attacks.

I feel the need to apologize. I didn't mean to attack Adder personally, and yet I did. He's just so infuriating for me to read sometimes. He called kdeuce a hack just in this derby, and I was fresh off reading that when I came across this discussion. I don't know Adder personally, so it would be unfair of me to make judgments...but that's kind of my point. I don't disagree with Adder on everything, many of his complaints about Woot have validity. But please please cut out the condescension towards others. I have every right to like Kdeuce's art and not appreciate Adder's. It doesn't mean I lack taste, it just means I have a different taste.

1. I said the other artists could sue, but I didn't say they'd win. In all likelihood, they'd just be offended. Do I think kdeuce went over to Threadless and said, "Where's a good idea that I can copy for this derby?" No, of course not, and I would never imply such a thing.

And if they were to be offended at kdeuce, shouldn't they already be? I mean, each of them had their same idea executed by 2 others, didn't they? I really feel as if none of them would have the right to be offended, as they also executed the same idea differently. Kdeuce could be offended that they had already done his idea, only not as well. I think there is plenty of room for different interpretations of the same idea in the art world. In fact, there NEEDS to be.

2. It is difficult to create something new, that is true, but many people do it every week. Should ideas that have already been proven to succeed be allowed in a competition against creative ones? That is a sincere question, but I imagine I won't agree with most of the responses.

I won't delve too deeply into this one, as I can see your point clearly. But just try to imagine Woot policing not just the rules of the derby that week (which is already felt to be inconsistent), but then trying to police whether or not a CONCEPT is "new" or "has been done too much." While some might applaud the removal of turtles and birds and octopus, where does it end? What happens when dogs win 2 weeks in a row, and the next week a wonderful dog entry gets rejected just because it was being used too much? Just imagine the new problems we'd see on the boards then.

4. Yes, some people prefer to use the woot derbies to display their original art instead of catering to the masses in order to win. We would all like to win, but won't sacrifice our integrity to do so. I know at least one person who never expects to get more than 20 or so votes (even though her stuff is great and very unique) and mostly enters for the hope of woot noticing and awarding her with an HM.

And if that is the case, more power to them. But do you really think that a person who chooses to use the Derbies as nothing more than to display their art has any right to bash the voters for not choosing it? Remember, the voters are the ones who are going to buy. What sense would it make for Woot to print the ones on the bottom when they have thousands of people wanting to buy the ones on the top?

6. He is not the only person around here who consistently despises the voters choices. He's just the only one willing to sacrifice his good name for the cause. When more and more people are speaking up and saying they agree with the voice of dissent, doesn't that usually signal a problem?

This is absolutely my point! You have a right to despise the voters' choices...every bit as much right, in fact, as the voters themselves have the right to vote! However, you absolutely have no more right than they do. You have every right to disagree with them, and every right to express yourself. You'll notice I'm not upset with your disagreeing, actually nothing you have said has bothered me slightly, I am upset with Adder's condescension and dare I say, "unsportsmanlike conduct."

There isn't a game I know of where it is acceptable behavior to call your fellow competitors losers, call them all manner of names, berate them for their stupidity, and then go into the stands of the opposing team and tell them their opinions suck and they are morons for being fans. Not and be taken seriously anyway.

Adder can continue to disagree all he wants. I agree with him that I'd like to see more creativity. I'd like to see more consistent rejections and more accountability. However, be respectful. Even if you hated kdeuce's entry last week, the fact remains it received 2000 votes and has sold almost 4000 shirts in just over a week. A dose of reality would state that Woot is unlikely to reject entries that so many people vote on and sell so many copies just because it is a "formula shirt." (even though I personally disagree with that assessment).

Cut the condescension and hatred and even I agree with Adder.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Chinese in Fine China

Ok, I'll admit, I laughed, and I'm Asian (admittedly, south, not east).

The shouts of racism are a little harsh, I'm just gonna say that the design is in poor taste. And I might be mistaken, but aren't ninjas from Japan, not China?

ricerocketeer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricerocketeer
Re: You are a Universe

I'm surprised no one else thought of this.

Superrodan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Superrodan
Re: On the other side of the lens

For those of you who have already voted/commented, thanks. I'm open for suggestions on this one, if people have any.

Theo