tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a frakking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want. What the frak is the point of spending even seconds to type "this doesn't deserve a top place"?? What's your motive, try to mark the votes down? Hopefully convince the undecided in voting for something else?, maybe getting people to agree with your insecure ass? Or is it "I have a right to insult just like people have a right to compliment?" Get real, this contest has been around long enough for you to know how it works, and that you just can't get your way sometimes.

Look at the long ass responses some of you have about your theories - How misguidedly passionate must you be (and frakked up in the head) to come on here to argue your moot opinion anytime a shirt of mine does well? Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you frakking idiots talking Manos, the Hands of Fate about that? So lay that pancakes theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.

And some good news for you? This shirt lost momentum yesterday, and with some of the new shirts rising fast, I would say this shirt doesn't stand a chance. Whoop dee frakking doo. This is why this site is so great, because there's such a short turnaround time. Don't win this week
? Try again next week. It's a frakking privilege you have to be a user on this site. So stop being a twofaced odoriferous voids, learn a thing or two instead of calling foul everytime a shirt you don't like does well. frakking neon angry mole.

<<< The Truth.

I'm always amazed at how the people who get printed are accused of being successful because of their ability to formulate a conspiracy, not because people like the shirts they design. This kind of shirt is exactly what a large percentage of woot voters are drawn to. Cute? Check. Well drawn? Check. Added bits of fun details? Check. Pleasing color scheme? Yep. Also woot voters tend to really like tromp d'oeil designs. All of these things combined equals votes. You can't blame James Cho because he knows how to pull these things together. How many designs do you see that have a good idea, but don't look very nice. Or look good, but make you scratch your head trying to figure it out? Or have everything together, but the colors look way off? There's so many things that go into a good design, and Cho is probably the best person in the derby at combining these things on a consistent basis.

If it's one thing that I've learned since I've started with the derby is if you're really upset with a design that's popular while yours isn't doing so well, don't blame the other person. Ask yourself what about your design just isn't connecting, or what about theirs voters are drawn to. You can waste a lot of energy trying to tear down other people and you're not getting any closer to getting your design printed in the process. You have to step back from it and realize someone else's success doesn't make your life worse, and that they may not be the issue.

Also I strongly agree about it being a privilege to be here. This is an opportunity like no other I've run into before, and nothing requires you to be here. Sure, bring up issues if you have them, but other people are coming here for the same reasons you are and they're using the same tools. If someone develops a successful reputation, it's because they earned it. And as Cho said, we both have designs that don't do well. If we really had a top secret voter cabal, every single entry would print.

wako

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wako
IndependentVik wrote:Ok, I'll admit, I laughed, and I'm Asian (admittedly, south, not east).

The shouts of racism are a little harsh, I'm just gonna say that the design is in poor taste. And I might be mistaken, but aren't ninjas from Japan, not China?

there should be a way to vote things down...

tsura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsura
ansharp wrote:This discussion started off productive and now has been (as usual) marred by ugly personal attacks. Here are a few bullet points of my thoughts (in no particular order) since I largely started this debate:

1. I said the other artists could sue, but I didn't say they'd win. In all likelihood, they'd just be offended. Do I think kdeuce went over to Threadless and said, "Where's a good idea that I can copy for this derby?" No, of course not, and I would never imply such a thing.

2. It is difficult to create something new, that is true, but many people do it every week. Should ideas that have already been proven to succeed be allowed in a competition against creative ones? That is a sincere question, but I imagine I won't agree with most of the responses.

3. Whether or not kdeuce could have pulled this entry on his (?) own is irrelevant now. If you think the entry should be removed, then please tattle and include appropriate links or at least a link to my post above.

4. Yes, some people prefer to use the woot derbies to display their original art instead of catering to the masses in order to win. We would all like to win, but won't sacrifice our integrity to do so. I know at least one person who never expects to get more than 20 or so votes (even though her stuff is great and very unique) and mostly enters for the hope of woot noticing and awarding her with an HM.

5. Adder is not a she, and that would be obvious to anyone who has read a decent number of his posts.

6. He is not the only person around here who consistently despises the voters choices. He's just the only one willing to sacrifice his good name for the cause. When more and more people are speaking up and saying they agree with the voice of dissent, doesn't that usually signal a problem?

2. This is a difficult question to ask. While I'm sure it is hard to come up with something unique, the question must be asked. Is this someone stealing an idea from someone else, or Is this just a case of two independent people coming up with similar designs? I'd like to think the later happens 99 percent of the time. Inspiration comes from the world around us, therefore it's completely. understandable that two people can come up with the same idea; But do they have a place in this competition. Part of me says yes, but another part says no. I suppose we have to ask ourselves whether we want to stay creative within the community or within "the industry" (of online t-shirt sales I suppose). It's quite obvious that other sites sell shirts that have similar ideas to already printed shirts. So does shirt.woot sell interpretations of other designs and sell a lot of shirts, or take a different path and only sell unique shirts that you can't find anywhere else (until someone comes up with the idea on another site). I really can't decide.

5. Sorry to mix up adder's gender. It's hard to tell someones sex through comments.

6. I just don't see adder as sacrificing himself for a cause. I see him as taking a negative opinion and pushing it to the extreme. This is not the way people would act in a real life situation (at least i sure hope not). The anonymousity of the internet tends to let people think that it's ok to say anything they want to, without consequences. I just don't think that's a good practice. If he is trying to push a cause, then I feel that there are more efficient ways to make his point. right now a lot of people view his comments blindly hateful.

tbrcelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
IndependentVik wrote:Ok, I'll admit, I laughed, and I'm Asian (admittedly, south, not east).

The shouts of racism are a little harsh, I'm just gonna say that the design is in poor taste. And I might be mistaken, but aren't ninjas from Japan, not China?

*giggles*, yes, ninjas are from Japan.

WWBD?

tgentry

Staff

Re: Pocket Dinosaur

I'd also add that designers don't have to do 'epics' every time out. I know personally it can be frustrating to just want to do something simple and fun and then get complaints about how it isn't up to snuff with your usual work, when in fact there's really nothing wrong with it.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a frakking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want.
[snip]

James, I'll never understand why people feel the need to attribute some kind of sinister motivation to designs they don't like getting lots of votes. For the record, I think you're a great designer. I don't dig this particular design, but I don't question the motives of the people who like it. Guys like you and Travis have built up serious followings precisely because the both of you are extremely talented; it's kind of ridiculous to hate on people b/c they have a fanbase that was duly earned.

That being said, I hope now that you've had your say you calm down and take a breath. My feeling is that the silent majority agree with me that your designs are voted up on merit, not on your name. The haters are _always_ the most vocal, but by no means do I think they speak for everybody.

Good luck with the rest of the derby, and I hope you continue to participate in derbies; the place would be the poorer without you.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
tbrcelee wrote:*giggles*, yes, ninjas are from Japan.

I thought so! I was just trying to be a little humble b/c it would've sounded pretty stupid of me to criticize the design for employing a ninja and then end up being totally wrong myself.

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Jack and the Giant... (Resub Version 2) new colors

Not a popular design, It seems, but thought I'd try another color scheme just for spit and giggles. Hope you like, and thanks for looking/voting!

CeeMac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CeeMac
riffmaster18 wrote:thanks for the nice comments! looks like you guys basically got it, I think you were missing Hancock and Darth (very much simplified to avoid copyright issues).

I was wondering where Star Wars was, and yes, now that you say it, I can see a resemblance to Will Smith there! Thanks for the answers. Wish I could vote again!

npard220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npard220

Nice design, almost reminds me of something the spiderwick chronicles.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
goodedesign wrote:nah, lots more geeks in the world... some saw the Sting version, some saw the sci-fi... many saw both... a handful actually made it all the way thru the book series...

I did not.

THEME IDEA: Sci-Fi novel/author tribute shirt!
wow, heinlin, asimov, herbert and all the other big-dawgs would have their hay-day.

I am all for a Sci-Fi theme at some point.

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
peppersagooddog wrote:david may not be the nicest person on woot but, no, he is by no means a hack.
it's too bad too, cause i tend to give votes to good designs in a derby of things i wont buy, but this guy never gets any of them because of that.
now if i could just amass enough votes to get edgar printed more often...

Actually, I'm actually a VERY nice person, if you ever meet me in person. I just don't like people who's first instinct is to approach people with abusive or negative language. I think that the problem is the growing troll population lurking around here, just waiting for fresh meat. I think the all just need hugs!

If your ever in Austin, Texas, feel free to look me up. I give them away for FREE.

Thanks to all the NICE people out there!

CERA172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CERA172
Re: Confined

*grrr* How is a snow globe not a miniature world? Even if it is just full of water and snow, that in itself is a miniature environment. Why is there even a dispute. This is a valid and entertaining idea.

There, I feel better now.

compu829

quality posts: 0 Private Messages compu829
fofmock wrote:Yeah, you came across problem two with neutrons- If I did decide to put them, something that big would never be successfully written on them, and I couldn't think of anything that meant no charge :P Oh well, I liked how it turned out regardless of its actual atom inaccuracies

I really like the shirt! How about the null symbol (or just none) for the neutrons

BromleyTheTurle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BromleyTheTurle

yankee.. why do you want to know? is it that bad?

paulhep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulhep

Seriously, submit another design with the same megavirus attacking a bear (or something) and I think you've got a winning shirt. I'd buy one.

GO VOTE!! This shirt is the Awesomeest!!! supermegavirus

BromleyTheTurle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BromleyTheTurle
yankeebird wrote:I would be interested to know which ten wooters voted for this.

yankee.. why do you want to know? is it that bad?

Kidgoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kidgoldstein
Re: Chinese in Fine China

Eh... I don't mean anything racist by it. Just thought it was a funny concept... miniture worlds... miniture China. However, the Ninja... yeah... I thought it might be Japanese... but just didn't do my fact checking. Though, I'm sure they sneak into the country on missions. The only reason they're being eaten is to help show that they are small and not just a giant piece of fine China. If it gets more votes, I may have to resub with a dragon instead of a ninja.

Personally... I don't think anything is racist about it. It's not like I'm personally trying to degrade anyone or any culture in this piece. But correct me if I'm wrong.

<insert something witty>

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

I felt that this design worked way better with what I had in mind. The ornithopter just fits better with birds. Thank you for the votes.

tgentry

Staff

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24654]Out of the Bottle

The line work on this is really impressive. I think it might work even better and still be on topic without the bathtub. The ship in a bottle visual is a really strong and a universal, wearable idea. Maybe on Navy also? I guess that's my solution to everything, but I tend to think of liquid based designs on a cool colored shirt. Also I'd erase about 80% of the linework on the water to help bring out the objects. Just hinting at water can sometimes get the right effect. Really cool idea, nice work.

tgentry

Staff

Re: Jack and the Giant... (Resub Version 2) new colors

I like this color palette better, much more pleasing to the eye.

tgentry

Staff

Re: The Dandy Lion

I don't think this will be rejected. It's the kind of idea that can be done by multiple artists just putting their own spin on it, like Koi fish or tree designs. Not my favorite Kdeuce design (that would be 335 Wooloomoo Way), but certainly not rejection worthy. Also it's fairly uncommon to ask for someone to pull their own design because it's similar to something else. An obvious ripoff is one thing, but this clearly isn't that. Tattling and letting Woot decide is usually how it's done, not trying to guilt the artist into pulling it himself. Just my 2 cents.

itsbeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth
Re: The Dandy Lion

Yeah, I think it's been done a lot because it's a fairly obvious concept. However, I like the naturalness of this design, that the seed puffs don't become umbrellas or parachutes like they do in many of the other versions (I can't stand those inexplicably GREEN umbrellas in the Threadless design that actually printed), they simply function as such. I think it's lovely.

buriedwreckage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buriedwreckage
Re: Cereal Prize (Resub)...Now with CREME!

I think this lighter colour is a great option.

fofmock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock
compu829 wrote:I really like the shirt! How about the null symbol (or just none) for the neutrons

Didn't think of that one... I was thinking a tilde or something but spose its too late now :P

junyiix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages junyiix

This design is adorable! Got my vote.

Kilagria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilagria
BromleyTheTurle wrote:yankee.. why do you want to know? is it that bad?

more like fake.

ofcwilson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ofcwilson
Re: You'll Spoil Your Dinner!

I'm really curious why this doesn't have many votes

Kilagria

haxrox wrote:Elephants love cheese.

wooters hate C&P shirts. (Not that yours is)

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
jamescho84 wrote:

Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you frakking idiots talking Manos, the Hands of Fate about that? So lay that pancakes theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.

Yeah! I'd like to know where the Cho army was when you had that entry with the dog carrying the UFO in his mouth. I really wanted that one to win, and it didn't even make it to 20th place, or something like that.

Carpe shirtem!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
iris420 wrote:Yeah! I'd like to know where the Cho army was when you had that entry with the dog carrying the UFO in his mouth. I really wanted that one to win, and it didn't even make it to 20th place, or something like that.

I second that! I loved that one, but apparently the "Cho aura" didn't come through that time

It cracks me up when I think about all the hate around here. Artists put out designs. People like (or don't like) the design. People vote for design. If that design gets enough votes, it gets printed.
Why hate on the designer for that? Um, Cho didn't vote 1,500 times. sheesh.

I'm disappointed every week that thousands of people don't think exactly the way I do, not a big deal....

MegatonPunch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MegatonPunch

Dune. . .Arakkis. . . Dessert Planet.

get it? dessert, not desert. . .sigh

VOTED!

vivosinemetu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vivosinemetu

I don't believe asking why people like a design is attacking anyone at all. It's curiosity. I don't have a problem with Cho, either, nor any other designer. The attacks are rarely ad hominem. I still don't get why a dino in a pocket fits the derby, but obviously that's my problem. If you wish to help me, that's awesome. I didn't mean to begin an onslaught of attacks. Apologies to all offended.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Let all keep one thing in mind. Each person will view an entry the way they want to, nothing we can say or do will change the view. I suggest we all stop worrying about what people are doing and vote for what we feel belongs in the fog. I tend to vote for 10 or less shirts in each derby. Some shirt ideas i like, but i will only vote if I feel I would actually purchase the shirt. This shirt idea, although commonly done, is still a well executed design style and concept.

Would I vote for it? No, but only because I would not buy it.

I applaud all designers that spend the time to come up with original work, but sometimes we make original designs that resemble other projects. All designers know the feeling of creating something original, only to find out that some other person has had the same idea and did it slightly different or better. It's not a great feeling.

I don't mind constructive criticism, but some people need to learn what that actually is. Some of us are just being down right rude and spiteful, and it's not fair to the people that have spent so much time and work.

Kilagria

Re: Pocket Dinosaur

I dont like his toes, other then that it's great!

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov
Re: CMYK of the brain

As a printer, I had to vote for this

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Gentleman World-Eater

Great texturing as usual, gf. Love the palette and whimsy of this one and happy to see you getting some attention for it. Good luck.

Kilagria

dekonstruct wrote:Awesome, that's enough for a party right? Who wants to watch the director's cut at my place?

I'll bring the popcorn and wear my crazy blue contacts!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
houmadesigns wrote:Can anyone point me to examples of black and purple on navy that didn't print well? Before I resubmit it I'd like to see just how it will turn out like it is. Thanks.

Trust everyone, it will not show up. The design is great and it is still early. I would resub and I guarantee you will do well.

houmadesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Andy47240 wrote:Trust everyone, it will not show up. The design is great and it is still early. I would resub and I guarantee you will do well.

I think it's strange that everyone's trying to convince me that it won't show up but no one will point out a shirt that it hasn't on. I'm not familiar enough with these shirts to know for sure, but there should be some sort of history for everyone to be trying to convince me to resubmit it. I browsed through the woot collection and couldn't see any reason not to go with these colors. I saw some black outlines on some navy shirts that were visible, and they were thin lines. Mine has big chunks of black. If I can see something that makes me say yeah I can see what you mean, then maybe I will try to redo it. But it's doing well and no one still has shown me any reason why I should.