Kilagria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilagria
Re: Red Baloon

simple yet unique

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
houmadesigns wrote:Again I still don't see any examples that would convince me to take out my entry. Swim Nessie Swim has black outlines only, and even from a far away shot that I found in the World of Woot forums I can see those tiny black lines. As for other color problems it looks like it has more to do with not choosing pantone colors, which I have carefully done. In addition my purple shades aren't simply different tones of the shirt color like some of the examples you showed, they are different colors entirely. What I mean is I didn't just lighten or darken the shirt color, I added red to it, which I think will help it be visible on the shirt. I'm not saying it would print perfectly, I just don't see the sense in trying so much to convince me to pull my design when you can't actually back up what you're saying with evidence. You may be right, but I'm not willing to risk that because who knows if I could get the votes back. If woot would like to discuss with me the print possibilities and potential problems I'll be willing to listen and if it actually wins I will be more than happy to work with them to get the best print possible.

Woot doesn't talk to people about print possibilities. You are responsible for making it work when you submit it. The navy you think you have there will not be what the shirt looks like (just as the browns didn't on the other shirt) And while a couple pictures show the black in my shirt, consider the light source for the photo. Because I only own....oh.... 5 of my own nessie shirts and in regular light it's hard to see the black. Even in your 240x240 clip that's minimized to 100x100, if we related that to distance across a room, I'd have no concept of what that is from that far away.

Here's a novel idea... designers have been doing this quite a while now: submit a redo piece and have it run a while to see if it goes up the charts like this one did.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: People of the Fireflies

In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

logicalcooper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages logicalcooper
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

I have nothing against the design, it's just not consistent with my expectations of the derby's theme. However, I'd say about half the shirts fall into that category this week; so maybe my expectations are the problem, and not the designs. Either way, good luck.

logicalcooper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages logicalcooper
kylemittskus wrote:In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.

I think it might look purdy on a cream shirt.

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
houmadesigns wrote:...As for other color problems it looks like it has more to do with not choosing pantone colors, which I have carefully done.

If you could provide a list of those pantones I think it would go a long way toward soothing the riled masses... The shirt color is close to PMS532, which looks black until you hold it up to black. I love the design, but am seriously worried about how it will appear on the shirt.

>insert funny quote here<

houmadesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
kylemittskus wrote:In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.

I wasn't suggesting you were attacking me. All I was doing was asking you to "show me". You are saying a lot about how you have been around and trust us, but you're not making a convincing case when you can't show me one single shirt to back it up. I'm not trying to be hard headed or anything, but would you pull out a design that was doing really well because people said "trust us" alone? Telling me I'll get this many votes back when so many shirts are already ahead? I appreciate you are trying to help but until woot tells me to fix it or rejects it I'm going to keep it as is. I believe you all would do the same thing in my situation. Thanks again for the concern.

redandgold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redandgold
Re: Nanonauts

do want!

houmadesigns

JadenKale wrote:
Here's a novel idea... designers have been doing this quite a while now: submit a redo piece and have it run a while to see if it goes up the charts like this one did.

I have tried it on other shirt colors, and it works best on this one. I know people would like me to pull it and I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy, but I will take my chances with the colors I have chosen and let woot decide. I don't think that's being unreasonable and I would appreciate it if you guys let off a bit.

reganrai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reganrai
Re: a boy, a dinosaur, and a boy with a toy dinosaur

I love this shirt! It's funny and uses dinosaurs... I still love your Yay My Favorite shirt!

woot: 5 | shirt.woot: 19 | wine.woot: 3 | sellout.woot: 0

sseeks2581

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sseeks2581

its a wonderful shirt, great design and interesting depiction of the atomic world

houmadesigns

JadenKale wrote:. Even in your 240x240 clip that's minimized to 100x100, if we related that to distance across a room, I'd have no concept of what that is from that far away.

I am not designing my shirt to be viewed across the room. I am designing it to be an intimate and moody piece. In the small version on the shirt it is very clear what it is.

sagerman4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sagerman4
Re: Jack and the Giant... (Resub Version 2) new colors

I really like this one! Plus if you look at the hand dude and disregard the fact that he is a hand, he looks like some awesomely disfigured freakjob. I think the giant is storing some nuclear waste in that forest. gmv!

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
tsura wrote:granted X isn't the greatest example of not using anger, but he did take a stance to use all other resources before jumping to violence. that aside, I think that we could form a well worded list of things that we as a whole feel should change. the people who run this site are nice people, but i think that as this site is growing, these problems need to be halted now before they get too far out of hand. The rules need to be made ABSOLUTELY CRYSTAL CLEAR. that is the major thing. Woot needs to write up exactly how similar and dissimilar a design can be to another one. Then we, as a community, can cite specific rules that are broken. These rules should be absolute. if a design breaks them, it SHOULD be rejected, no matter how high in the ranks it is, no matter how far into the derby it's discovered. If a design doesn't break teh rules it should be allowed with out argument. The rules now are too vague. the rule that is being questioned the most is the first one. "We determine that the design contains elements created and/or owned by someone other than the designer or Woot, or that would otherwise infringe on the intellectual property rights of third parties" This can be interpreted in many ways, and needs to be made clear with examples. The second major problem is that Woot NEEDS to uphold their own rules. the fact that they state that they will reject things "If we feel like it" is buIIshit. They need to make their intentions clear, make it clear exactly what they can and cant print. And if woot doesn't "feel" like doing it, hire a moderator to track these entries, compare them with the rules and enforce them. The community needs to group together and tell woot that there are flaws with the derbies, and that they need to fix them, because in the end we are the customers, we pay them collectively tens of thousands of dollars A DAY, so it would be in their best interests to keep the community happy, and the site running smoothly. (also they need a new web page design, impossible to find anything)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

mactraveler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mactraveler
mactraveler wrote:

There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

coming soon to a shirt.woot near you:

derby #70: your unique interpretation of dandelion parachutes getting chased down by pac-men on a white shirt.

greenriverdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenriverdog
Re: Red Baloon

I love this! I want one!!! i feel it is too late in the game though . Good luck!!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
askmrjeeves wrote:your virus is a bacteriophage. they don't infect animal cells.

It's just confused...

angrynoodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrynoodle
Kidgoldstein wrote:Eh... I don't mean anything racist by it. Just thought it was a funny concept... miniture worlds... miniture China. However, the Ninja... yeah... I thought it might be Japanese... but just didn't do my fact checking. Though, I'm sure they sneak into the country on missions. The only reason they're being eaten is to help show that they are small and not just a giant piece of fine China. If it gets more votes, I may have to resub with a dragon instead of a ninja.

Personally... I don't think anything is racist about it. It's not like I'm personally trying to degrade anyone or any culture in this piece. But correct me if I'm wrong.

you're kidding right? nothing racist? you placed a bunch of slanty eyed, stereotypes in a bowl, one has a buck teeth and a ricepaddy hat on, one has a bowl cut, another has the geeky part and glasses- yeh that 's not degrading (sarcasm there) it's racist and offensive. would you have done this depiction of blacks, hispanics, jews... prob not without an uproar. asians are easier to pick on cause they don't complain enough when people are being ignorant and NOT FUNNY. get real.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
houmadesigns wrote:I wasn't suggesting you were attacking me. All I was doing was asking you to "show me". You are saying a lot about how you have been around and trust us, but you're not making a convincing case when you can't show me one single shirt to back it up. I'm not trying to be hard headed or anything, but would you pull out a design that was doing really well because people said "trust us" alone? Telling me I'll get this many votes back when so many shirts are already ahead? I appreciate you are trying to help but until woot tells me to fix it or rejects it I'm going to keep it as is. I believe you all would do the same thing in my situation. Thanks again for the concern.

Example: JadenKale's Nessie design.
Example: in reference to difference in actual color, DS's Season of Change shirt.

Your design will shoot back up. It has happened before. However, the longer you remain stubborn, the more likely time will run short and it won't make it back up.

Look at the shirt color for Nessie and look at the palate woot provided. It is not even close, and this is the problem. Black ink on a nigh black shirt will not show up. Logic trumps.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

I really am liking this shirt- but am not entirely sure that I would wear it.... however, I do have a 3 year old that I think would go bonkers for it. hmmm.... GMV!

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
Re: Nanonauts

I keep hoping that I will look at the derby entries one week and hate absolutely every shirt. So far, I have had very poor luck- some darn good arteests enter into these derbies (plus some that I just find plain funny!)
This is yet another shirt that I am fairly sure will contribute to my impending bankruptcy!
GMV!
Absolutely beautiful design, and I would definitely wear it.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
houmadesigns wrote:I wasn't suggesting you were attacking me. All I was doing was asking you to "show me". You are saying a lot about how you have been around and trust us, but you're not making a convincing case when you can't show me one single shirt to back it up. I'm not trying to be hard headed or anything, but would you pull out a design that was doing really well because people said "trust us" alone? Telling me I'll get this many votes back when so many shirts are already ahead? I appreciate you are trying to help but until woot tells me to fix it or rejects it I'm going to keep it as is. I believe you all would do the same thing in my situation. Thanks again for the concern.

I'm getting some of the same comments about my design as you are, so I know how you feel. I've been told the navy is about the same as the template so I don't see how the black would be a problem. I have the same attitude, let woot deal with it if there's a problem with the colors. So try not to take it all personally. People can be very harsh on here and a little less than constructive at times, so try to take it all in stride. I think you're seeing that a lot because your design is doing so well. Good luck to you!

Holli537

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Holli537
cmdixon2 wrote:I'm getting some of the same comments about my design as you are, so I know how you feel. I've been told the navy is about the same as the template so I don't see how the black would be a problem. I have the same attitude, let woot deal with it if there's a problem with the colors. So try not to take it all personally. People can be very harsh on here and a little less than constructive at times, so try to take it all in stride. I think you're seeing that a lot because your design is doing so well. Good luck to you!

WANT!

Holli537

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Holli537
Holli537 wrote:WANT!

eerp, didn't mean to quote that person, llo.

houmadesigns

kylemittskus wrote:Example: JadenKale's Nessie design.
Example: in reference to difference in actual color, DS's Season of Change shirt.

Your design will shoot back up. It has happened before. However, the longer you remain stubborn, the more likely time will run short and it won't make it back up.

Look at the shirt color for Nessie and look at the palate woot provided. It is not even close, and this is the problem. Black ink on a nigh black shirt will not show up. Logic trumps.

Honestly, I am beginning to wonder what all your motivations are. Is this how it works when someone new submits a design that becomes popular? I look at the black in the photo of Nessie design and I can see it even from far away. What are you talking about logic? I can see the black line even against the blue and even that tiny:

I have to wonder why you are STILL all trying to get me to resubmit, even this far along. This is not stubbornness, it's prudence. You made your suggestion, still haven't shown me a black that didn't show up on navy, still haven't shown me a purple that didn't show up on navy. First the problem was that it wouldn't show up, now you're showing me examples of colors that just look different but are clearly visible. Again, thank you for your concern, but I will take my chances. People seem to like it. If it prints badly you will be able to say I told you so. All I asked was for someone to show me what you meant since it was apparently common knowledge. Just because I don't jump when you say jump doesn't make me stubborn. I am just trying to be careful.

Barnhill5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5
Re: We remember

Hahah... too funny!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Just because several of us have seen this phenomenon doesn't mean it was accurately documented. I think when you have the designer of a shirt (Nessie) admitting that something didn't print very well, that's pretty good evidence. But as you said, take your chances. If this goes to print and prints poorly, then we won't bother saying I told you so. It will just not sell well after the first day and be quickly reckoned. If it works all right, then we look like asses.

This has nothing to do with you being new or unknown. Seriously, we were all trying to help, but you obviously don't want any. Had you resubmitted earlier today, you most certainly would have gotten all your votes back (we've seen it happen time and again because some of us have been around a long time and understand how these things work), and you probably would have picked up some extras for resub sympathy.

I hope this ends the discussion since it's obvious that nothing productive is going to come of it. Best of luck to you.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
angrynoodle wrote:you're kidding right? nothing racist? you placed a bunch of slanty eyed, stereotypes in a bowl, one has a buck teeth and a ricepaddy hat on, one has a bowl cut, another has the geeky part and glasses- yeh that 's not degrading (sarcasm there) it's racist and offensive. would you have done this depiction of blacks, hispanics, jews... prob not without an uproar. asians are easier to pick on cause they don't complain enough when people are being ignorant and NOT FUNNY. get real.

How do you draw Asians without having them look Asian?That's like saying"don't draw that black guy with dark skin it's racist!"I don't really like the design but voted for it anyway because certain people are becoming unhinged over it.

Kidgoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kidgoldstein
angrynoodle wrote:you're kidding right? nothing racist? you placed a bunch of slanty eyed, stereotypes in a bowl, one has a buck teeth and a ricepaddy hat on, one has a bowl cut, another has the geeky part and glasses- yeh that 's not degrading (sarcasm there) it's racist and offensive. would you have done this depiction of blacks, hispanics, jews... prob not without an uproar. asians are easier to pick on cause they don't complain enough when people are being ignorant and NOT FUNNY. get real.

It's a cartoon. I tried to show all styles of characters in the illustration. If it came to doing Americans, I'd throw all sorts of characters into the art. I am looking at it from a characture perspective. I didn't want to make one drawing of an Asian and duplicate it. If I did that it would seem racist as well. We are all humans with different distinct characteristics. I wanted to at least take a shot at drawing multiple people.

If it was a drawing of me... I'd put a big nose and little squinty eyes on it. Again, I did not mean any harm by this and I'm sorry if people took offense to it... but I did not mean it in an upsetting way.

I'd take my shirt off of this contest, except I believe that art should still be expressed even if it's found offensive to some. However, if woot.com deems it inappropriate they can take it down without any protest by me. It's their site... their rules.

Though, for those of you that understand I don't mean any harm, please check out my other shirt that may seem a bit more appropriate (hopefully) and gets the point across.

Re: China In Fine China
<insert something witty>

houmadesigns

ansharp wrote:Just because several of us have seen this phenomenon doesn't mean it was accurately documented. I think when you have the designer of a shirt (Nessie) admitting that something didn't print very well, that's pretty good evidence. But as you said, take your chances. If this goes to print and prints poorly, then we won't bother saying I told you so. It will just not sell well after the first day and be quickly reckoned. If it works all right, then we look like asses.

This has nothing to do with you being new or unknown. Seriously, we were all trying to help, but you obviously don't want any. Had you resubmitted earlier today, you most certainly would have gotten all your votes back (we've seen it happen time and again because some of us have been around a long time and understand how these things work), and you probably would have picked up some extras for resub sympathy.

Best of luck to you.

I was clearly NOT against help. I asked for someone to show me early today and no one did. Had someone actually replied to my request earlier and shown me something I would have definitely considered redoing it. There's no way I would do it now that you are finally responding to me, and with "evidence" that is clearly not even related to what the original issue was (wouldn't show up vs. might print as a different color.) I believe there are many votes that I could not get back now. I can see the black lines in the pictures of the Nessie shirt as well as dragonly love, and those are shirts that are designed to be seen from far away. This isn't. I don't appreciate how all I asked was a simple, unoffensive question and now I'm suddenly stubborn and don't want help, just for not doing what a complete stranger says to based on faith alone.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

The issue is that many of us saying something aren't going to stop more of us from voting it to the fog, getting it printed over things that are safer, and hundreds of people who didn't think a bit deeper about it asking for refunds, a la Season of Change.

This is why even though woot does not step in in situations like this, they should.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Drak, you need to find a site that has enough voters to appreciate what you do. Your designs are so well done and intricate. Half of the shirts that win shouldn't even be allowed to clean up your spilled ink. You sir, have an amazing gift and wish more people would see that. GMV and tons of support!

lkackman

Drak, you need to find a site that has enough voters to appreciate what you do. Your designs are so well done and intricate. Half of the shirts that win shouldn't even be allowed to clean up your spilled ink. You sir, have an amazing gift and I wish more people would see that. GMV and tons of support!

jzeiggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzeiggy
Re: Let it show, let it snow

Love, love, love, love it!

lkackman

This derby is full of issues... people are so angry and terse.

I personally love this design and think it will show just fine on the shirt. It may be dark when printed, but that is the point in this design, I say go with the original and ride it out. GMV and good luck.

PS: Oh and welcome to all that is a Woot derby, good and bad.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

houmadesigns wrote:I was clearly NOT against help. I asked for someone to show me early today and no one did. Had someone actually replied to my request earlier and shown me something I would have definitely considered redoing it. There's no way I would do it now that you are finally responding to me, and with "evidence" that is clearly not even related to what the original issue was (wouldn't show up vs. might print as a different color.) I believe there are many votes that I could not get back now. I can see the black lines in the pictures of the Nessie shirt as well as dragonly love, and those are shirts that are designed to be seen from far away. This isn't. I don't appreciate how all I asked was a simple, unoffensive question and now I'm suddenly stubborn and don't want help, just for not doing what a complete stranger says to based on faith alone.

My photos of my Nessie shirt are too small to show it well, but in all likelihood the people saying the colors won't show properly are correct. There's an entire thread devoted to shirt photos here if you'd like to go find any of specific shirts. If it's not in there, then it's not particularly well documented. Good luck.

EDIT: Also, they were trying to help you, I think. It's not a matter of trying to be rude or picking on you. I myself have seen plenty of woot shirts where the colors didn't show at all, but I don't have the photos at my fingertips and certainly don't have the time to go finding them. If you'd like to find them, a few examples are "What Dreams are Made Of" "Full of Ink" and "Too Hungry." Those designs weren't problems because the inks showed up differently (although that was it too), it was that the ink colors chosen were too similar to the shirt color, which wasn't exactly the same as the template color.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

youngmc33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngmc33

I think it's perfect with the current colours! I love how this village seems to be hidden amongst the tree and fireflies, and that translates well into the colour scheme and shirt colour. Great choice, great comp.

I'd wear it. Good luck!

tbrcelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
Re: You are a Universe

Any suggestions for improvements?
This is my first submission and I'm afraid I'm not that great of an artist.
Any criticism will be appreciated (except flaming).

WWBD?

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
kylemittskus wrote:This is unbelievable. Seriously. I want it as a shirt. NOW!

Word.
Me 2.

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
sagerman4 wrote:I really like this one! Plus if you look at the hand dude and disregard the fact that he is a hand, he looks like some awesomely disfigured freakjob. I think the giant is storing some nuclear waste in that forest. gmv!

The farmer either can't draw very well, or has a rather distorted view of country folk. I guess we'll never know. Hehe.