ximo88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ximo88
Kinuven wrote:This is great for your first try - keep it up, you're sure to improve!

Should defenetly be on a different color shirt. I would say some darker shade of red or light shade of blue, (not dark or vivid blue, it looks bad with black)
Love the design tho

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
houmadesigns wrote:How could a peaceful design turn into a discussion like this? Some people offered their advice, I decided not to take it because of time concerns, wanting more information, and not being able to alter the design in a way that worked anyway. No need for calling me ignorant, stubborn, conspiracy driven, etc. There's also no reason to call the people who were trying to help me out names.

I tried to steer the conversation back to civility with my last comment, though that never really works.

The big plus I see from this design printing is that we have the chance to see woot's printing abilities tested. Obviously Woot's printing abilities improve over time, so sometimes it's nice to see a print like this. If it turns out well, it opens up a whole new spectrum for more cautious designers.

Now I have to figure out whether to wait for photos of this first or to take a gamble on the first night...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

nocturna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nocturna
eHalcyon wrote:My concern is that the dark brown for the ink and the little man might not be distinguishable from the brown shirt. However, this will probably be a purchase for me. It's just too great.

If anyone is interested, it's currently National Novel Writing Month. And I haven't written more than 200 words for my novel this year because schoolwork seems a lot crazier than it was the last two years. =\

I understand completely. :\ I am very much behind on my NaNo work this year... Ugh.

And definitely have my vote, TGentry. :D

aliencam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliencam
Re: megavirus

Ovaltina, my goat THERE IS A SHIRT WITH A BACTERIOPHAGE!!! I would wear this just because bacteriophages don't attack RBCs! :P

aliencam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliencam
Re: supermegavirus

a bacteriophage... and a bear... epic.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: Disillusions of Grandeur

It very good.
It need more vote.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: Got Salt?

Meow.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
murenrb wrote:I dont understand why nobody likes my shirt. Please tell me. Be brutally honest.

When designing for the derby, you have to keep in mind that the canvas is a T-shirt. Usually, people prefer designs that sit naturally on the shirt rather than being framed and squared off, as this one is.

Also, people might not want a toilet on their chest.

Don't be too discouraged. With only three winners and hundreds of entries each week, it's quite difficult to get noticed. There are some great designers here that have already been printed at other sites like Threadless, DBH and Uneetee that still haven't won a derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

NonDescript

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonDescript

personally i dont see why you are all up in a tizzy. obviously he didnt mean anything offensive by it. i mean there are many designs that could be taken offensively but that doesnt mean you should all get up in a fit over it.

the way i see it, is if you are offended, then dont buy the shirt. it's not like hes guaranteed to win it's a contest. if enough people dont like it, then he wont win and you have nothing to worry about. however, if you are afraid he might win; you are saying that you think that many people will want to wear his shirt, and you want to prevent those people from getting what they want for your own personal sake.

NonDescript

that being said, i agree with this:

SpastasticNomadic wrote:I would have liked this better if it was simply a bowl full of mini-pandas. Now that's good eatin'!

NonDescript

Re: You are a Universe

i hadnt noticed your shirt until i saw it in your signature for a comment you made in the 'controversial' thread. tbh, i think the whole ordeal is silly, but your shirt is awesome, and has my vote

dmkooosbc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmkooosbc
eHalcyon wrote:When designing for the derby, you have to keep in mind that the canvas is a T-shirt. Usually, people prefer designs that sit naturally on the shirt rather than being framed and squared off, as this one is.

Also, people might not want a toilet on their chest.

Don't be too discouraged. With only three winners and hundreds of entries each week, it's quite difficult to get noticed. There are some great designers here that have already been printed at other sites like Threadless, DBH and Uneetee that still haven't won a derby.

Obviously, you aren't running for the King/Queen of Shirt Woot Egotistical Arrogance, eHalcyon...

Nice of you to let the obvious 2 take the title they so desparately need/deserve.

I was going to comment on the topic also, murenrb. Cute comic, but I really am not going to walk around with a toilet on my shirt.

NonDescript

Re: Big Money

cute design. gl

NonDescript

Re: Bubble Universes RESUB

i really like it. gmv

edit-
also, i like it on brown, so you do your thing man, dont let them tell you what to do, lmao.... srsly tho, i hope this shirt gets made. be it here or the next second chance derby, i'm looking forward to buying it

pt1245

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pt1245
Re: Unlock Your World

I have to say, friggin awesome.

Shazaam!

sduncan1107

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sduncan1107
Re: Like the Swallows of Capistrano

please win...please win.

snajo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snajo
Re: People of the Fireflies

yikes!

I think, if the artist is following the rules, the complaint shouldn't be to the artist, but rather against the rules. We'll see how it turns out. I'm going to trust that woot knows more about printing t-shirts than I do. I'm willing to risk the $10. G- knows I've certainly spent more on less.

Keep up the good work... this makes me think of the east vs. south dragon design that didn't win a couple derbies ago... at least so far as they are both visually pleasing artistic sorts of designs. Beats the hell out of clip art or stick figures. (I assume this isn't clip art... and I must admit, however much I wish I could deny it... I do like stick figures.)

NonDescript

I love this shirt and i cant wait to buy it. you see all the people flaming you, yet some how you are still in the fog. im glad you didnt delete this shirt and i hope that it prints well, imo i think if the shirt is that dark it will only make the design pop more in contrast.

sonataofashes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonataofashes
lkackman wrote:Nope, its on cream... i know it will be slightly yellowish on the design, but thats why i chose brown and orange tones.

That's what I thought at first, but I just wanted to double check. Beautiful design; love the concept and the execution.

snajo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snajo
Re: Electro-Highway

This is one of my favorites from this derby. Keep up the good work!

nmone84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmone84
Cbr1000cc wrote:I'm full of the fish that eats the poop, the one on the glass!

Woo, hammerhead sharks eat poop! ;) Oh, wait...ok, there's the bottomfeeder. Killed my fantasy :/

Shadowflit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shadowflit
IndependentVik wrote:Sued for plagiarism? Really? The fact that it's been done so many times, if anything, shows that it's a fairly obvious idea; it's not such a leap of the imagination to believe that kdeuce came up with this independently. I certainly don't believe that he stumbled across the designs you mentioned and thought, "let's copy for $$$!"

That being said, kdeuce, you should probably write woot to withrdraw the entry. Similar shirts clearly exist. Yes, I think your execution is better, but it's been done.

I wouldn't consider buying any of the three shirts linked - I didn't even look at their price, I just don't like the designs. kdeuce's shirt, however, I would consider buying. Why should someone withdraw their submission just because 'similar shirts exist'? Unless the design was clearly ripped, rather than the inspiration, there's nothing wrong. Almost all ideas are combinations and improvements over previous ones anyway.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
vosb0009 wrote:it is just a first attempt to get the right procedure for this shirt woot derby , i plan on making a sweet shirt for the next one and put more time into it

Next time, aside from the too many colors mentioned by the rejectionator, I'd also suggest placement, theme, and submitting the images as required.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24654]Out of the Bottle

If it don't win, you can always turn it into a children's picture book. I mean, who wouldn't buy that? The storyline's just begging to be continued. Although that probably wouldn't help your problem with sleepless nights...

Irrelevant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Red Baloon

If you ever opt to sell this design on another site, please let me know. I would love to pick one up someday. It's perfect for me.

troxie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troxie
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24607]

hey jerk are those the moai from sam and max seasons?

elpepe

quality posts: 13 Private Messages elpepe
Re: Beelection

You would gotten more votes if you made the blue bee winning.

troxie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troxie
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24647]The Ant

I love this shirt design, but I can't get over the black dirt on the whole front of the shirt. I think the shirt would look a thousand times better without it. :\

Teknikas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas
DavidShenoda wrote:I think they should be called "glow"flies instead of fireflies. I mean they're not really on fire. It's a little misleading to those who expect to see flaming insects flying around.

Anywho, despite the invisible tree, this is still a "perfect for woot" design. Good job choosing your idea.

I would assume that not many people expected to see "flaming insects flying around"...Have you really never heard of fireflies? You from BFE or something?

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

still loving this shirt.

Here's hoping in the next day and a half that it jumps a couple spots

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
tommyt827 wrote:I agree. I really like this a lot. I hope it gets a huge surge of momentum soon. If not maybe it'll make the editor's picks at some point.

Aww... thanks for the comments everyone. They're really nice.

haezoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haezoo

Ha! Awesome. Love the play of the purple monsters on the green shirt as well.

Oeberon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oeberon
bitz wrote:... (so far I have gotten that it is a sun, a cloud, more birds and a logo)

People thought it was more birds?! I want some of what they're smokin'! How can anyone think the shoe is anything but a shoe? They've gotta be the same people who can't see the vase in the left image and the faces in the right image here and, thus, would never appreciate any negative space design like this unless it came with an interpreter.

I thought this was an excellent design and you GMV. And I love that the volcano is erupting in your re-sub which also GMV.

Imagine that! My Join Date is a palindrome: 8-11-8
It's finally available!

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
clintw07 wrote:Quick redraw it with a hippo

rofl
doooo itttttt :D

I once ate a cricket.

Scubatoe3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scubatoe3
Re: The Dandy Lion

Love it, it's fun, I'm in for 2.

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
SydneyB wrote:Meow.

Don't think the reference is lost on me, l o l. For me at least, it was kind of difficult to draw a snail that didn't resemble in one shape or form, Gary. I think it's just giving him those round eyes that does it. As with most of the stuff I do, I sit around tinkering with a pad and pencil and just start drawing a few lines and see what I come up with. This one turned into a snail, which turned into a snail on the world, which then turned into a snail on the world in space, etc...

Anyway, I hope you liked it as it doesn't seem to be doing so well.

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
Irrelevant wrote:If you ever opt to sell this design on another site, please let me know. I would love to pick one up someday. It's perfect for me.

The thought crossed my mind, because I really liked this as well.

The only thing is, I was just unsure if woot rejected it due only to the similarity to another shirt or if they felt it was some sort of copyright infringement. If it was only that it was similar, I'm secure in the fact that I came up with the idea myself and it was mere coincidence that there was another shirt like it. But if it was for copyright reasons, I don't think I need that hassle.

Finally, I would once again like to thank everyone who voted and liked this design. This design and the warm reception to it is a real confidence booster for me. Since September, when I first started this whole shirt derby thing, most of my designs have gathered 10-15 votes if I'm lucky. The other two designs that I have up this week are typical for me so far. Needless to say I was getting pretty bummed. But now I have hope, so for that, I want to thank everyone's support.

-cheers!

caseadey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caseadey
houmadesigns wrote:SINCE WE'RE TALKING IN ALL CAPS, I CONTACTED WOOT, SENT THEM MY FILE, AND THEY HAVE RESPONDED TO ME. I AM NOW SATISFIED I MADE THE RIGHT CALL BASED OFF THAT RESPONSE.THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN.

Wow this reminds me of the whole alien mess a few weeks ago. Please learn how to take the comments and not get so offended. If people like they will vote for it, end of story. The attitude in the post almost make me not to want to vote for it.

kbgmaslow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbgmaslow

The illustration reminds me of 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' ... Beautifully done!

Re: The Dandy Lion

aricartt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aricartt
eHalcyon wrote:Nucleus.

proton

SHIRTS:
X-treme National Park, Just The Two Of Us, You Have to Try This Guys, Teddyslayer, I’m So Sorry Elmer…, Stuck Inside, To the Top in the Style of Da Vinci, Nanonauts, The Cake is a Liar
Regular Woots: 9
Bunch of Crepes's: 1