+ Add a Comment

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
sekiyoku wrote:See, it should appeal to the same people as Say no to scurvy, right? Yay for nutrition and all?



Except that scurvy kicks ass... it's one of my favorite shirts. The design/colors/illustration/humor are great on that one.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
heartluce wrote:Except that scurvy kicks ass... it's one of my favorite shirts. The design/colors/illustration/humor is great on that one.



I like scurvy too, been debating getting it from reckoning. I guess I wouldn't get this one, so the comparison is moot. xD

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
sekiyoku wrote:I never said it was the same or better, just that it should appeal to the same people. :p



Honestly, it should appeal to less because it doesn't have a witty message or design. Fable's shirt at least combined the text and the orange in such a way to have the design span a wider demographic (I doubt she intended that, but there's more than just "ooh a cute simple face" that's pulling people in on Scurvy otherwise, I think her 'The Creative Thought Process' would have lasted longer just because of that.)

eyeslikesugar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
ohioplayer wrote:ELS, check your PM



Back at ya.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

OpenDesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages OpenDesign

Congrats on the print, but I'm a little disappointed in this... A slightly modified live-traced image (first result on google images for "broccoli") with eyes and a mouth pasted on (not to mention the out-of-the-box Action Jackson font) does not seem print-worthy.

I'm all for simplicity and I understand that great ideas are not easy to come by, but this design seems like it took very little effort.

That being said, it's a pretty funny/cute shirt and I'm sure it will sell well.

zozzles


quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

Oh I'm shooting up with Lovenox
Wolfing down my Warfarin
Just easier to bleed a lot you see

Bright green vegetables are good for me
But they screw up my P-T-T
And so I can't eat no Broccoli!
Oh woe is me! Oh woe is me!

I'm sitting here on Oxygen
Breathing it a bunch tilll when
Things seem to get all strange mentally

But I can't eat no Broccoli
Else the nurse would be so mean at me
And angry her face would surely be
And next week she'd jab me nastily

Oh I'm shooting up with Lovenox
Wolfing down my Warfarin
It makes it easier to bleed a lot you see
Alexei Nikolaevich is like a hero to me!

Perhaps all the blood clots they found
Would dissolve from my lungs, without a sound
And I'd stop coughing continually
(cough, gasp, wheeze, wheeze wee!)

(exeunt, singing merrily if somewhat weakly, thinking that he really doesn't like Darvocet if you really get down to it, but at least breathing doesn't appear to hurt him as much.)

(oh yeah, the scansion is terrible. live with it. in real life, i hate broccoli in the first place so I don't think I'm missing much.)

ohioplayer


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ohioplayer
eyeslikesugar wrote:Back at ya.



Tag

KidKobun


quality posts: 7 Private Messages KidKobun

ROFL! This shirt broccks'! Get it, broccks..?

oopsiedaisy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oopsiedaisy

I think someone will be wanting their share of the profits.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
OpenDesign wrote:A slightly modified live-traced image (first result on google images for "broccoli")



oopsiedaisy wrote:I think someone will be wanting their share of the profits.



Now I'm sad. And that website has "copyright" notices on it.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
JadenKale wrote:Honestly, it should appeal to less because it doesn't have a witty message or design. Fable's shirt at least combined the text and the orange in such a way to have the design span a wider demographic (I doubt she intended that, but there's more than just "ooh a cute simple face" that's pulling people in on Scurvy otherwise, I think her 'The Creative Thought Process' would have lasted longer just because of that.)



I'd argue that her Creative Thought Process should have lasted much longer just based on being, I dunno, worlds more interesting than Clip-art Clocks or Non-Parody Zelda Merch. It's by far her best design, even if Scurvy is a better shirt.

The problem is, Cheese CAN do interesting things with simple art. And this is not it. I guess in that way it's similar to Scurvy. I still maintain, though... I've seen a good handful of shirt concepts that were declined for dailies. When you see something like this be deemed better for print, you really have to ask who is running this show and why do they hate effort?

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
sekiyoku wrote:I like scurvy too, been debating getting it from reckoning. I guess I wouldn't get this one, so the comparison is moot. xD



Yeah, I know what you mean. Woot is unnaturally slow due to the wootoff so answers are taking longer.... I don't recommend too many woot shirts due to subjectivity but I think scurvy rocks and would recommend that one. I got mine from reckoning...

estrus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages estrus

This is gonna get me all the crunchy vegetarian Portland chicks! I don't even have to wash it.. EVER!! In for like 27!

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
eHalcyon wrote:Now I'm sad. And that website has "copyright" notices on it.



Wow, really?

That's depressing.

Especially because it was unnecessary. The shirt probably would have been cuter if the broccoli weren't so realistic.

What generally happens in this case?

blahmcblah


quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah
sekiyoku wrote:What generally happens in this case?



Absolutely nothing.


AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
sekiyoku wrote:Wow, really?

That's depressing.

Especially because it was unnecessary. The shirt probably would have been cuter if the broccoli weren't so realistic.

What generally happens in this case?



Generally in about another hour someone with a blank box will be all "Who cares if it's copyrighted? U can't copyright broccoli. It's just a shirt and I like it so F.U. I hope this sells out because it's awesome and you need lives."

in another 10 days, it reckons with no resolution

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
AdderXYU wrote:Generally in about another hour someone with a blank box will be all "Who cares if it's copyrighted? U can't copyright broccoli. It's just a shirt and I like it so F.U. I hope this sells out because it's awesome and you need lives."



I'll be keeping my eye out for that. :p

infiniteammo


quality posts: 4 Private Messages infiniteammo

I already got YAY! TACO!

emcee2k


quality posts: 1 Private Messages emcee2k

Ah, the semi-circle mouth and beady eyes.

Hmm... maybe I should submit Happy Shirt as a daily. I could use $1000.

bumpass


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumpass

Brilliant. Give me seven. What?!? I can only have three... fine... I'll just get one then.

SarahPants5


quality posts: 6 Private Messages SarahPants5

I look great in green, and I LOOOOVE broccoli, (especially fried in tempura batter...) and cute happy things, and the word YAY!! You see where I'm going with this...

MazinGurren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MazinGurren

this shirt rocks.

I know some will look at me in disgust. I really do love broccoli

redstickman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages redstickman
AdderXYU wrote:...



exactly.

Waterstiller


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Waterstiller
antsyashley wrote:This shirt gives me gas. Pass!


I laughed.

I'm tempted to purchase this because I love broccoli and am vegetarian, but.. it's a little too much green.

katfin25


quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25

I so need this shirt! My dog's name is broccoli!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

jusca


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jusca

why isn't this broccoli in a pool of casserole?

LeetRantipole


quality posts: 1 Private Messages LeetRantipole

*giggles*, so random and funny. I love it.

cortinator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cortinator

There are so many shirts like this with vegetables or peanut butter and jelly on it that are selling in stores. I would think woot would have chosen something more creative that wasn't, how you say, "mainstream". This is a disappointment.

Sigh.

Epsilon519


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Epsilon519

In For One.

"Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, WACKO!!!"

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik


I would have thought they'd have picked a better shirt for the woot-off next door.

jabbasi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jabbasi

who else had the rejected family learning channel video come to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ

hahaha

Shirt.Woot Purchases -
30 Shirts for Myself (15 Random)
9 Shirts Given to Friends
Most Recent Purchase: Random x3

SalsaShark42


quality posts: 9 Private Messages SalsaShark42

Still no Dana Carvey references...

ohioplayer


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ohioplayer
jabbasi wrote:who else had the rejected family learning channel video come to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ

hahaha



That stuff is very disturbing...... ":D

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
heartluce wrote:Yep, for me it's in the category with brussel sprouts and cauliflower. No thanks. Yay taco, otoh...


all that you state here taste great when made right.

CardinalGoldstein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CardinalGoldstein

Well, I love broccoli...steamed, stir fried, deep fried, and raw in a salad, but slapped on a shirt with a smiley face stuck on it, is an insult. booooo.

San-Man


quality posts: 0 Private Messages San-Man
SalsaShark42 wrote:Still no Dana Carvey references...



hahahahah

DavidRox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidRox

Hahaha I love this shirt!

Lucky30605


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lucky30605

In for one for the kid. I let him look every day and this one really cracked him up. He's 11.

notsomuch


quality posts: 7 Private Messages notsomuch
Zenne wrote:Ew! No cheese on the broccoli!

Congratulations on the print.



That is EXACTLY what my 7 year old said!

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

meganmcgees


quality posts: 0 Private Messages meganmcgees

Cute shirt, little disturbing about the image use, though. And am I the only one who just despises the shirt/design color combo? This would have been way cuter on a lighter color or even white. But what do I know - not a designer. Anyway, passing because of the shirt color and the whole copyright infringement thing...even though you probably really can't copyright broccoli...