Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Hope Seed



This is very cool...GMV!


Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: DNA Baby



I like this design. The only part I have a problem with is at the very end of the strand. It just ends. Maybe using a halftone method, you could have it fade out. Just an idea. Either way I still like it. GMV!


lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Original Grill Master



It's a little known fact that in the beginning of mankind, the mighty Mastodon was truly the caveman's best friend. It is also theorized that this furry behemoth was responsible for the origins of bachelorhood and divorce as well.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Gonna Be Big in Japan



Awesome! Go, go Godzilla! gmv!

IG64Assassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IG64Assassin
Re: The Original Grill Master



Interesting style, almost Seuss-esque. Well done.

tfsr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tfsr

I know I've seen things a lot like this before. But oh well. Cheers.

tfsr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tfsr
The colours make me crave that neopolitan coconut candy. Mmmm candy.



Yeah! That's what I thought upon clicking. I thought it was some sort of joke that together they'd make vanilla or something. I'm not 100% sure why.

Cute design, though.

spidermatt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spidermatt
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.



You do know that Walt disney was afraid of mice (and mickey was a bunny)? Haha great job man. This shirt looks bueatiful

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
IG64Assassin wrote:Interesting style, almost Seuss-esque. Well done.



Thanks IG64Assassin!

spidermatt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spidermatt
Re: Birth of the Moon



My friend and i made a list of things we want to do this year. One of hers is buy a shirt on woot. I will deffinattly be recomending this one if (hahah "if") it wins. Awsome color scheme and absolutly flawless design. I haven't voted on a woot shirt yet and this is my first. oh btw, what does GMV mean?

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
databit wrote:I think the artwork and design of this tshirt is great and shows phenomenal skill. That being said though, I have not figured out how it is on topic of Beginning.

Maybe I am just slow.



Birds being released is kind of textbook symbolism for a new beginning, I think. Literally, it's a beginning of a life of freedom for the birds. Enh. This talk is too deep for me.


dynathi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dynathi
Re: Birth of the Moon



If this doesn't win, I will be very upset ;) Probably the coolest shirt I've seen on shirt.woot in a while. Awesome job!

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Hope Seed



I have to hand it to you kdeuce..you keep using the same few graphic elements over and over and get huge vote totals every time. Wooters are incredibly stupid and have short memories

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Beginning of the End



Beautiful work and gorgeous colors!

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.



Clever idea and terrific illustration, very nice!

dselig


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dselig
Re: A New Calling



na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na leader!!

i have no clue what to write here anymore....

Urtawkin2adork83


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Urtawkin2adork83
Re: A New Generation is Born



this kinda creeps me out

polkadotapus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages polkadotapus
Re: Beginning of the Disaster



..adorable!! and kinda witty. :} I wish it were higher up.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
bhsuzycue wrote:Could you also do the wallpaper with the text added, please? I really like the text with the picture.



Sure. Tomorrow though. What resolution do you use?


BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
marypuppe wrote:Seriously Boots, I don't know how you manage to create my favorite designs in EVERY derby!!!
And now my husband has started voting for your shirts, partly because he likes them, but also because your my "best friend" ahuhuhu!



Someday your husband's vote is going to get me printed. I just know it! (thanks for forcing your husband to throw me an extra vote, Mary. BFF Power!)


littlemisssmilee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlemisssmilee
Anthony3419 wrote:I like this design. The only part I have a problem with is at the very end of the strand. It just ends. Maybe using a halftone method, you could have it fade out. Just an idea. Either way I still like it. GMV!



I actually was thinking about doing that... unfortunately I have yet to learn how to do a halftone correctly! Once I learn though, I'm sure I'll use them (when necessary).

Thanks for all the super comments/suggestions! I'll consider these things for future designs

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
snarkygal wrote:I have to hand it to you kdeuce..you keep using the same few graphic elements over and over and get huge vote totals every time. Wooters are incredibly stupid and have short memories



thanks. splotchytreeclipart.com. check it out. it's great.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: The Original Grill Master



Oooh, I love this one. Awesome illustration and idea....

ClayMeow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClayMeow
Re: The epic begins



TMNT GMV for sure!

ClayMeow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClayMeow
Re: And the winner is... (resub)



Very clever! But in good conscience I can't vote for it because it's not something I'd ever wear.

ClayMeow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClayMeow
Re: The Journey Begins Again Again (resub)



what the hell is this? o.O

stingray69


quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: First Spark of Kindred Love



This is awesome.

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: The Original Grill Master




you drew this?
where the hell have you been?

Kat4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kat4
spidermatt wrote:My friend and i made a list of things we want to do this year. One of hers is buy a shirt on woot. I will deffinattly be recomending this one if (hahah "if") it wins. Awsome color scheme and absolutly flawless design. I haven't voted on a woot shirt yet and this is my first. oh btw, what does GMV mean?



Got My Vote

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:gizmoduck isn't arguing that the implementation is the same. He's saying that the idea BEHIND the design is the same. By misrepresenting his argument, you yourself are the one using the strawman argument.

I agree with gizmo and Josephus here. I don't know much about TMNT but from the screencap that was posted, I have to say that there is nothing new here. As others have said, there is no commentary or parody. It's basically the same as in the movie (and the comic?), only drawn in a different style.

No copyright infringement, so I'm sure woot will print it. Props to DF for thinking of putting this on a shirt. I also appreciate the style of the linework, even though I'm not fond of the distressing.



One more reason I'd love woot to have a more active role in selection. Anyone can draw something familiar. It takes effort and imagination to make it into something creative. Two things the voters don't have. I find it incredibly disappointing that the designer here keeps going back and forth between trying to pull out solid ideas, and just literally representing something on a shirt without even trying to mix things up.

I am a little amused that Josephus would be on that side though. He's like the poster child for not understanding parody.

peachwheels


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peachwheels
artulo wrote:awesome. best comment ever. thanks! when I started out this shirt wasn't really lion king inspired, but I can see the resemblance.



Best comment ever?!? EPIC WIN. Well, I love Lion King and I'd love this shirt even if that hadn't immediately popped into my mind.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Original Grill Master



Glad you like it heartluce and peppersagooddog.

megatsea


quality posts: 2 Private Messages megatsea
Re: The epic begins



Oh please please please let this be printed. I love it! It's been months since I bought anything other than the random shirts, but I will buy this one.

KessiTheNinja


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KessiTheNinja

This is my absolute favorite of all time by far!!! epic is correct=]

mjbleck


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjbleck
Re: Blank Canvas (white) (resub)



Sorry kids, the "tuck the shirt" comment was because I thought it would be funny to wear a blank shirt save a round bulbous head (with eyes!) coming out of my pants. Step back, I don't know how big this thing is gonna get...

pauzhaan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pauzhaan
Re: Soup's On!



Clever! My son in college would wear this, he doesn't usually do cutesy but would make an exception for the message!

Long time Wooter. Never got a Bunch of Clipping Not one.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
HeartlineTwist wrote:The only thing about this design that I can't understand or get behind is why Adder seemed to like it after his multiple tirades against simplicity, anime, and stick figures. No insults because I LIKE the stick figure shirts, but this is about a half step up from it.



You don't get it because you didn't understand my multiple tirades to begin with.

It's hardly high art, but what it is is a smart design choice. It has a concept that required thinking up and uses the shirt well. The style, while simple, is distinctive... while it has similarities to Boots' waterslide ponderer, you couldn't mistake the two (unlike Pom and Poko's entries, which may as well be the same person).

It's not my favorite thing in the derby by a long shot, but it is my favorite in the fog because of how it works the shirt. Sort of like how you might not like an actor's offscreen persona, but you can't help but enjoy how he inhabits a role. This design just works as a shirt, largely due to it's self-referentiality. Stick figures don't work as anything (and when you can create a more distinctive bubbly guy like this with not so much effort, why would you choose something as inherently ugly as stick figures anyway?), anime is trite and mindless, and simplicity is only bad when it's synonymous with thoughtless. Careful readers would note that I've praised many a simpler piece because its concept was solid or else its lines, few though they might be, were well chosen. They'll also note I've laid into a number of "artistic" shirts for making no statement and bringing nothing interesting to the table... lines impersonating artistry. It might be unexpected, but it shouldn't be that hard to grasp.

eastcobbler


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eastcobbler
Re: from every end




I saw an actual case of this in Redwoods Nat Park. A giant tree had fallen a few years prior, and as it lay prostrate little trees were sprouting on it's old bark.


Copo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Copo
PhilSandifer wrote:Yes, because it's not completely obvious what characters these are. *eyeroll*



You're damn right it's not obvious. They're extremely vague turtles. There is no indication that they're a specific character from a comic/movie/cartoon/etc. It wasn't about knowing what the turtles represent; the person whose post I quoted had stated something about this lacking parody, and how some pikachu shirt had more parody and got rejected. I was stating that this didn't require parody, it's not using anything with a copyright.

I really don't care at all. I didn't vote for it; I'm not planning on buying it. I understand how a business works though, and realize my self-centered interests are meaningless to them. Therefore, I also understand that were I to get angry at the artist for his shirt's winning a voting contest, I would be borderline infatuated.

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
pauzhaan wrote:Clever! My son in college would wear this, he doesn't usually do cutesy but would make an exception for the message!



Thank you!
Does that make it "Exceptionally Cute"?
*fishing for a testimonial endorsement*
;)

After the derby is over, I'll have it up for sale at Spreadshirt.