DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
AdderXYU wrote:One more reason I'd love woot to have a more active role in selection. Anyone can draw something familiar. It takes effort and imagination to make it into something creative. Two things the voters don't have. I find it incredibly disappointing that the designer here keeps going back and forth between trying to pull out solid ideas, and just literally representing something on a shirt without even trying to mix things up.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get people to vote for my more artistic designs. I promise to flop back the other way next week. :D

wugsby

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: The Pucker Singularity

You know, puckers don't fit into EVERY design theme

Copo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Copo
BootsBoots wrote:I'm going to soon, but it will be awhile before my good designs get there. I'm making the contest rounds with them first.

Thanks so much for the support everyone. I think I get the best comments ever. Really.

Were you going to, I would suggest offering multiple colors. Or at least do the crazy armed girl one without that color shirt.
Also, do a shirt with a triceratops, a polar bear, and a baleen whale. Green and orange.

aayjay

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aayjay
Re: begin the journey

I love lions. I need this shirt.

Copo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Copo
theinfinityloop wrote:I like this. Good use of side placement and bright colors.

Man, I really liked your sketch, but I don't like shirts without the picture centered on the chest. Also, the hair I'm not too big of a fan of. And darker (grayer) colors would probably look better, because the great rainy days are really gray.
Lastly, the solid line of rain isn't really appealing. Maybe shorten it and make it not as solid toward the top?

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
alexcampbell wrote:Everything is ahead of my poop shirt now, someone tattled on it because they couldn't handle the greatness.

Be glad they didn't ban you AC.

Seismogenic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seismogenic

AHAHAH, moooost excellent!
I'm a geophysics grad student, and I'd so wear this.

hasdgfas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hasdgfas
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.

I quite like this design, it just seems more like something that would be on a poster than a shirt. Wonderful art, I just don't know if the big block of paper will turn out well or be really heavy when it prints. If it's light to the touch, I think it makes a better shirt. Just hope for that.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Life Renewed

gorgeous design and colors, looks terrific on the shirt

Honored

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Honored

I love this. And I'd like to just take a minute and say "Leave the Phoenix shirts alone!" They're absolutely amazing in both concept, the story behind them - and what they represent. As for there being too many - perhaps I live too far in the north east..but I've never seen anyone out in public wearing a phoenix shirt..so shush! And lets see this one printed so I can start wearing one! XD

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist

MOAR wolf shirts, I say.

I like it, though.

HeartlineTwist

AdderXYU wrote:You don't get it because you didn't understand my multiple tirades to begin with.

It's hardly high art, but what it is is a smart design choice. It has a concept that required thinking up and uses the shirt well. The style, while simple, is distinctive... while it has similarities to Boots' waterslide ponderer, you couldn't mistake the two (unlike Pom and Poko's entries, which may as well be the same person).

It's not my favorite thing in the derby by a long shot, but it is my favorite in the fog because of how it works the shirt. Sort of like how you might not like an actor's offscreen persona, but you can't help but enjoy how he inhabits a role. This design just works as a shirt, largely due to it's self-referentiality. Stick figures don't work as anything (and when you can create a more distinctive bubbly guy like this with not so much effort, why would you choose something as inherently ugly as stick figures anyway?), anime is trite and mindless, and simplicity is only bad when it's synonymous with thoughtless. Careful readers would note that I've praised many a simpler piece because its concept was solid or else its lines, few though they might be, were well chosen. They'll also note I've laid into a number of "artistic" shirts for making no statement and bringing nothing interesting to the table... lines impersonating artistry. It might be unexpected, but it shouldn't be that hard to grasp.

I guess where we've disagreed then is on whether or not a concept was good. I appreciate that it uses the shirt as a shirt in a creative way that other concepts that I consider good didn't, but that doesn't mean that the clever or witty concepts are any less deserving of a print.

I guess the distinctiveness kind of throws me off. I wouldn't consider this really any more or less distinctive than the varying stick figures that we've seen in the last few derbies, and yes, the styles have varied.

As I've argued in the appropriate threads where we've HAD this argument, while I would prefer a guy like this over any stick figure, sometimes a guy like this, stylistically, just doesn't seem to click in the same way. I guess what causes the most confusion/lack of understanding seems to be your rather fluid determinations of what constitutes a solid concept or making a statement or other such criteria. I'm not berating this. Opinions should change. But when you're as vocal as you are, it seems hard to follow because the way in which you present your opinion makes it seem like it is and should be superior to that of everyone else's (tone and such essentially berating people that buy shirts that you don't seem to like).

I'll concede the anime point. It is an art style, but it tends to produce shirts that look like they could have been designed by the same person when, in reality, they were designed by two drastically different people. If a designer can incorporate anime elements or the entire style while still making it unique (not something that I'm saying HAS happened), then that's fine by me.

As for simplicity, once again, we approach a rather vague area of what you consider to be a thoughtless concept. One could argue (I wouldn't because I like the shirt) that this shirt is "thoughtless." I know you don't feel that way, but there's many times when you reach that conclusion without too much clue as to exactly why.

That's where the confusion is for me.

But it's hidden behind a rather snarky style of posting, and you do have the shiny crown that I bestowed upon you recently, so <3!

HeartlineTwist

DeadFrog wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to get people to vote for my more artistic designs. I promise to flop back the other way next week. :D

Don't submit the simplistic design that is clearly a vote magnet and make your artistic shirt extra pretty? Then again, that might not help either. Hrmm...a conundrum.

nbrosas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbrosas
Re: The Original Grill Master

Holy koi, this is an insanely good illustration and surprisingly detailed. Shame you submitted it so late, it won't ge nearly the amount of votes it should... I would have voted for this for sure. Maybe you can sneak it in for submission for another Derby because this is wonderful.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: A New Generation is Born

This looks like an altered photo. If so, is it yours?

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
AdderXYU wrote: Similarly, if two people start consistently placing in the top 5-7 week after week immediately upon coming to the site, even double-fogging until someone brings to light their shady past, at which point they appear to begin swapping wins, it isn't a huge leap to presume there's a whiff of impropriety going on.

Could someone fill me in on what the heck all this talk about? What "shady past" and "impropriety" are people discussing? And what about the reference to "convention" ethics or behavior?

The uninformed lay-person with a single vote wants to know.

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Fishion

It's actually a giant octopus eating Junior Mints.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=26364]In the Beginning, god created

after posting this, It reminds me of the escape album cover explosion bits.

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99
dekonstruct wrote:Why oh why does great imagery have to be ruined by religion. Design is great, colors are great, but I just can't vote for a religious shirt.

Thanks for displaying your ignorance for everyone to see! You're not even smart enough to see the unintended irony because the imagery is *inspired* by religion, not ruined by it, since the inspiration comes first. I guess you don't go to art museums or listen to classical music either? Moron

omninull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

This is going to be such a shame if it doesn't get printed.

omninull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

Haha, I love it. I'd totally buy this design.

wettoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wettoad

wow! very cool concept and art : )

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus

you are one amazing illustrator!

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
wugsby wrote:You know, puckers don't fit into EVERY design theme

You're right. I'm going to take back both my votes for this one because it stinks so bad. I don't even really want one.

Please take your votes back, to the rest of you who voted. Let's get this entry back to zero votes where it belongs.

current vote count for reference: 21.

NoneBlacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoneBlacker
Re: It all begins with the candy like button

Can he resist the temptation to press the button?

narkus

Re: The Beginning of the End

very disappointed this hasn't reentered the fog

narkus

Re: Gonna Be Big in Japan

jimi, will you PLEASE put this on tee fury? pretty please! i have to have this!

angrm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrm
Hutif wrote:Really? I'm the first with anything to say about such a cool design?
...We'll it reminds me of the drawings I like to do. I take it it's a plant's roots growing out, but it looks like an angel to me, or a butterfly, or badly mutated DNA. Whatever, GMV.

Thanks!

eh, I only check on it once every day or two. Busy life means less attention / tacit lurker / no comments. :D

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
missiaa wrote:great idea! my grandparents have some of the tubes with stuff recorded on them. they're weird

it's so cool to see all the different kinds of music players!

Thats cool! can they rip them to mp3?

ltchambers330

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltchambers330
Re: The Genesis Clock

Very nice design, but whats even greater is that you stayed with God's design in creation. I hope there is some way I can get one of these.

piankeshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piankeshaw

OH, I get the joke. It's you! Do you always have to include a re*tarded dinasaur in every entry. Also, you spelled "baby" with three "B's" in the original post, moron.

dekonstruct wrote:You missed the joke entirely then. How bout you lurk a little more before you talk like a moron.

Fortune favors the brave.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

whether this prints or not, all the compliments and posts were really encouraging. thank you! I've always been a huge Disney fan, so this shirt was a lot of fun to make. And a good excuse to draw for 5 hours

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

looks great!

Keelmy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
spidermatt wrote:You do know that Walt disney was afraid of mice (and mickey was a bunny)? Haha great job man. This shirt looks bueatiful

Mickey was a mouse, hence "Mickey Mouse"
Oswald was the rabbit.

[/url]

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Copo wrote:Were you going to, I would suggest offering multiple colors. Or at least do the crazy armed girl one without that color shirt.
Also, do a shirt with a triceratops, a polar bear, and a baleen whale. Green and orange.

Aye aye, Captain! And I'll swab the deck while I'm at it!

buddhawood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buddhawood
Re: Ribbon Building Blocks on Black

IF you squint, you can see here what might be the earliest stages of the building of life's building blocks or DNA. Starting with the ribbon floating in a rich morass of bubbly, a party ensues where partners pair up and start the first dance called the double helix two-step. Makes you want to grab a glass of champagne and put on your party hat.

The ribbon is translucent to represent the naked DNA strand before it collected the building blocks and starts the party.

buddhawood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buddhawood
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=26364]In the Beginning, god created

Before I clicked on the full picture I thought I was going to see little ship in the middle shooting at Asteroids!
Nice work!

baiguai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baiguai
NoneBlacker wrote:Can he resist the temptation to press the button?

HAHA that is the coolest .gif! ^5

spyderiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyderiii

spyderiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyderiii
Re: Frakin' Beginnings

The were created by man. They rebelled. They evolved.
They look and feel human. Some are programmed to think they are human.
There are many copies.
And they have a plan... ;)