buddhawood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buddhawood
Re: Frakin' Beginnings

Is this the 13th we never heard about?

Nice, only a selct few will get it!

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
Re: Blank Canvas (white) (resub)

Wait a second. We aren't calling this anime, right? Because I think that would be giving it too much credit. There are simple designs and then there are three identical paint cans copy and pasted with a different fill color.

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
Re: beginning to fly

Ahaha. This thing makes me laugh every time I look at it. Poor wittle owlly.

spyderiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyderiii
buddhawood wrote:Is this the 13th we never heard about?

Nice, only a selct few will get it!

So say we all...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
kdeuce wrote:thanks. splotchytreeclipart.com. check it out. it's great.

taking lessons from cheese, are you? XP

seriously... can you please find a way to create without adding splatter, smears, or unnecessary stains all over? I mean really... pick up the game. The Otaku Twins are beating you now and I really don't know which is worse at this point.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
ClayMeow wrote:what the hell is this? o.O

This... is a t-shirt design. Specifically it's a t-shirt design that shows all the overused memes that plague derbies everywhere. Two of which I've participated in (being the angry squirrel and the dinosaur). It's really meant for people that have participated in the derbies for a while (My one year woot anniversary was last month). If you stick around and notice things this shirt only gets funnier, or sadder depending on how you handle disappointment.

I for one like to laugh at it.

Also, if you're going to be critical of a shirt you don't understand, you better have some kick ass designs to back your statement up or you're just going to sound like a complete anus. A complete anus.

One more time:

A complete anus.

dekonstruct

piankeshaw wrote:OH, I get the joke. It's you! Do you always have to include a re*tarded dinasaur in every entry. Also, you spelled "baby" with three "B's" in the original post, moron.

You'll understand when you're older.

dekonstruct

heartluce wrote:Still my favorite derby design and probably the only one I'd buy... ;-). Srsly dude.

Heartluce, you're my kind of crazy ;)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:

I am a little amused that Josephus would be on that side though. He's like the poster child for not understanding parody.

Adder, I'd love to see a clear description of parody some time. Perhaps I don't understand it. Deriding me for a lack of knowledge of copyright law doesn't really do much to fix the deficit in my knowledge, and I have not seen anything online anywhere that clearly explains it. Who knows, with a little help from you, I might become the poster child for parody design.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
kdeuce wrote:thanks. splotchytreeclipart.com. check it out. it's great.

I just want to commend you on your good-natured responses, kdeuce. You get a lot of koi in your threads: most of it, imho, unwarranted.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

@Lucky - Thanks!

@Honored - Thank you! I agree.

@HeartlineTwist - I like wolf shirts too. I'd like to design one someday.

acline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acline
Re: She Let Them Go

if i can't have one of these, i will just die.

i'd vote for it thrice if i could

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: The epic begins

As much as it is a non-issue to some, i finally figured out what was bothering about this design. I agree with gizmo that there is nothing original going on here. It's a simple reproduction of a generalized scene. Most of the defenders seem to be asserting that the best part of the shirt isn't the scene but the art style which is original. That also isn't really the case either and I've thought as much since the beginning it just took me awhile to find it. They are incredibly similar to the baby turtles in the old cartoon show. The major difference is that these are monotone.

Starting from about 6:00 minutes you will see what I mean and particularly at 6:32. I suppose DF still gets a little credit for having one upsidedown though that doesn't particularly feel original to me either but I can't find evidence of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyG0JCtDzU

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
theinfinityloop wrote:Nice job on this one. I think the only thing that would improve it would be to make the tree trunk a little more curvy. That's just my opinion though. Still GMV.

Thanks! Good idea, the trunk could use a little bit of deformation, but a strong shadow is cast so I figured it would be quite straight. Thanks for the feedback!

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
mrwednesday wrote:As much as it is a non-issue to some, i finally figured out what was bothering about this design. I agree with gizmo that there is nothing original going on here. It's a simple reproduction of a generalized scene. Most of the defenders seem to be asserting that the best part of the shirt isn't the scene but the art style which is original. That also isn't really the case either and I've thought as much since the beginning it just took me awhile to find it. They are incredibly similar to the baby turtles in the old cartoon show. The major difference is that these are monotone.

Starting from about 6:00 minutes you will see what I mean and particularly at 6:32. I suppose DF still gets a little credit for having one upsidedown though that doesn't particularly feel original to me either but I can't find evidence of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyG0JCtDzU

Did you notice the head and foot shape of the glowing turtle(6:11)? Use your eyes when you look at things. You will see a difference. Turtles look like turtles. Cartoon turtles resemble turtles. But no one would confuse one of my turtles with an original pre-ninja turtle.

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
lkackman wrote:Thanks! You and I sir, are travelers from the same line. Except I only consider myself a quasi professional trecker. I stay in the woods and stay of the roads. I one day play to hike the entire AT. Perhaps not at one time, but in my lifetime I would like to do it all. Thanks for the support!

I'm more of a trekkette, than a trekker. XP

I've clocked just over 900 miles on the NSTs. Hope to join the 1000 club soon. So good luck to you. I'm also a trekking guide in East & West Africa so if you ever find yourself thattaway, let me know.

Wish this one was doing better. Poor platypus.

Re: The Open Road Outback

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
burnsy42 wrote:I didn't realize they were upside down in the thumbnail. One of 'em has it's sings up, the other has 'em down. Who's to say that one isn't the other? And the one sitting in the tree didn't even register as a bird until I realized that it was SUPPOSED to be upside down. Which only came after I had clicked. You see the problem. . . Either way, I see you're moving up. Good luck!

Yeah I should def have shown more of the tree in the thumbnail, or somehow show the sprout in the thumbnail as well. Thanks for your support, glad I managed to move up!

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

SavedChristian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian

Based on the angles of their chins, it seems that Adam's nose should be in front of Eve's. Just an observation.

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: The Original Grill Master

I have a recurring dream about mastadons. And I love this. Great work.

gradegrubber69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gradegrubber69
Re: The Bad Egg

Still laughing. I can see this on my co-workers the first day out... It is far enough back to not win, would you find a way to print it anyway so that I can have one?

gradegrubber69

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Now you're just arguing semantics so to speak. And you're also incorrect since when I saw your design I thought immediately of the cartoon. If you're going to say that rounding out a bulge and not having a tiny point as if to simulate toes makes your design completely your own you're more than welcome to take that stance.

But the real issue which many are keying off of is that it's very easy to pander to the community here. It's arguable whether or not that is a good thing, but for every design like this which simply plasters a well known scene drawn slightly differently, there are a lot more creative, clever and original designs which aren't getting printed. Most of what I like about this site is that I can get something different than I would see anywhere else because there are some incredibly talented artists doing really creative stuff.

Your shirt is going to sell out before 8am so I wouldn't worry about a little dissent, but the design doesn't do anything for me for the reasons I listed. As a final note, if turtles always look like turtles and you admit to having added nothing to the scene, what exactly should we be getting from this design other than a reproduced scene slightly distressed?

christermime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christermime
Copo wrote:Man, I really liked your sketch, but I don't like shirts without the picture centered on the chest. Also, the hair I'm not too big of a fan of. And darker (grayer) colors would probably look better, because the great rainy days are really gray.
Lastly, the solid line of rain isn't really appealing. Maybe shorten it and make it not as solid toward the top?

Good suggestions, I went with the classic bright yellow raincoat for contrast. And the rain looked a bit better... not so small. Thanks for the crit, it always helps with future posts!

cleothemuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cleothemuse
WLewis wrote:Heres my explanation to my image. Children seem to begin life watching tv and surfing the web. So one of the umbilical cords is a cat 5 cable and the other is coax.

Well, since cat-5 cabling is typically shrouded in blue, shouldn't those be swapped around?

ImPenE1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ImPenE1
Re: Hope Seed

I like it a lot.

ImPenE1

Re: A Fresh Start

I like it too, but agree with extraimagination .

ImPenE1

Re: iFetus

Thats cool

astomps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astomps
ImPenE1 wrote:Thats cool

if it weren't awkwardly in the middle and had a the baby throwin up the horns I would +1 vote it.

resub

ImPenE1

Re: Birth of A Tree

I really like the concept, just think it needs to be turned around to draw the eye up.

ImPenE1

Re: Not yours!

I like it. Kinda remind me of when I gave birth. ahuhu

newdawnguitar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newdawnguitar

hands down my favorite! I love how the chicken and the egg are both tied for second

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Err... heh sorry i didn't know you were a female. I would certainly do so if I ever planned a trip to africa. My girlfriend lived there for 2 years so I know it is in the cards to go back! My best trek so far is doing all of the Superior Hiking Trail on MNs north shore. Took 5 trips to do it (stupid school costs) but it is more then worth it in my opinion. Send me a message if you ever plan a trip into Quetico and the BWCA.

hotcha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha

No, I'm pretty sure he got the design from here. 7:56.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdedQhJ3taE&NR=1

See how that crystal kinda looks like a vial? and then all he did was make the turtles quadrupeds and stole their weapons and clothing. The upside down turtle isn't even original. You can see that michealangello fell on his back at 7:29, right after the shredder cut him down from the net.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Original Grill Master

Thanks everyone!

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: Earth: some (dis)assembly required

I bought a shirt. Then I voted for this

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.

I'm a disney freak. And a had an idea like this in my head that I was considering, but nowhere near this good. Got my vote.

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

soybeanio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soybeanio

I have a BIG feeling woot won't accept this.
If woot rejects, I have some suggestions:
Slightly tree-textured-looking clothes
Thicker Hair

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
palmettogirl wrote:Wait a second. We aren't calling this anime, right? Because I think that would be giving it too much credit. There are simple designs and then there are three identical paint cans copy and pasted with a different fill color.

No one is calling this anime. When I rattled off those things, it wasn't that they were all found on this shirt.

HeartlineTwist

mrwednesday wrote:It's arguable whether or not that is a good thing, but for every design like this which simply plasters a well known scene drawn slightly differently, there are a lot more creative, clever and original designs which aren't getting printed. Most of what I like about this site is that I can get something different than I would see anywhere else because there are some incredibly talented artists doing really creative stuff.

If you put it into specific context of THIS derby, it's not that bad. Why? Take this design out. The remainders in the fog become the top three. Either the Disney shirt or the tree shirt get 4th and have a chance at printing. Even if it's an "original" concept, I think this is a better shirt and something that I would rather buy than the "blank" shirt. The tree shirt is cool, but I worry about the coloring on it. I love the Disney shirt, but it's still pretty far behind, so I don't know if it could make the climb to third.

Yeah, there are some designs I love by designers I love *coughbootsbootscough*. Unfortunately, those designers tend to be relatively far down the chart, so whether this shirt deserves to be here or not isn't REALLY that big of a deal.

*shrug*

As for the shirt, I didn't like the style for the Narnia shirt because it was just like...three things chilling on a shirt. Here, since it is an entire scene, it seems to work better for me, despite the controversy over originality and whether or not you're a terrible, terrible designer for stooping to that level.

HeartlineTwist

theinfinityloop wrote:@Lucky - Thanks!

@Honored - Thank you! I agree.

@HeartlineTwist - I like wolf shirts too. I'd like to design one someday.

I just think it would be cool to be the trendsetter of the next animal meme. Better make it something cool!

HeartlineTwist

homeschoolwinner wrote:I'm a disney freak. And a had an idea like this in my head that I was considering, but nowhere near this good. Got my vote.

Currently tied for fifth. I really, REALLY hope this can somehow continue to climb because it's been doing really well vote number wise in the side bar.