beefzaweef


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beefzaweef

First of all, its tuesday mr.

Second of all, I have a special IN with DF and I know for a fact that his turtle scene was adapted from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7OBikQo1U at exactly 4:18.

A simple subsitution of clown for goo and minus a few flippers and Viola!

Seriously though folks, if you like it, vote (oh wait, a ton of people are doing that!)

If you don't like it, post here to take out your resentment and try to make yourself look like a donkey (oh wait...)

Got to love the market!!!

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Jestik wrote:Could someone fill me in on what the heck all this talk about? What "shady past" and "impropriety" are people discussing? And what about the reference to "convention" ethics or behavior?

The uninformed lay-person with a single vote wants to know.



http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2880645&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=28

Sorry I don't know how to provide a direct link. This is from the world of woot forums. Interesting reading, but there is a lot to sift through. Whoever started the thread apparently felt some remorse, so you have to go to the second post where 2th Fairy replied in order to get the links that Adder has been talking about.

Carpe shirtem!

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

people are voting on this because it reminds them of a tv show they are nostalgic for. this is much the same way nintendo shirts get voted on. it's lazy, plain and simple.


that being said, i'll probably buy one. o.O because, i mean, i like it..

gr3ygoos3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr3ygoos3
Re: The epic begins



YOU WIN. I LOVE TURTLES!!!

I have 2 favorite baseball teams. the Red Sox and ANYONE who beats the Yankees!!!!!!!

gr3ygoos3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr3ygoos3
Re: The epic begins



YOU WIN!!

I have 2 favorite baseball teams. the Red Sox and ANYONE who beats the Yankees!!!!!!!

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: The Bad Egg



This is pretty much the only design this derby that I would truly want to buy! It's very cute, I love your style.

carlover323


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carlover323
Re: The Original Grill Master



nice shirt! great concept!!

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
databit wrote:Elitist comment is more along the lines of people nit picking over whether the letter A on the cards is text whereas I would consider it more of part of the graphics. The original submission was not rejected on text.


Databit, we have had many "no text" derbies in the past. Things that have beent rejected include: plus signs, equals signs, and an infinity symbol, as well as numbers and letters. If you want to resubmit this this week, remove the A's and the 2 from the cards and the word "DEALER" from the chip. That ain't elitist. Just the facts, sir.

When an entry is deleted, Joel doesn't always give every reason it didn't make the grade, and usually just the one that is most visible to him. He also looks at the comments, and if he sees that you have already been told what to fix, he doesn't waste his time repeating the most obvious stuff.

As for the hand itself, it's up to you. If people think you have the wrong one to start Tx Hold 'em, they won't vote for you. If you want votes, listen to the audience.



psbrett


quality posts: 0 Private Messages psbrett

Man, I was going to vote for it based on the thumb but then I saw the shirt. Just the chicken and egg was funny enough but I don't like the actual layout. More irked because the thumb didn't match the shirt or have a 'click for full' on it.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
gizmoduck1234 wrote:.......Lots of stuff about how this shirt is not original..... blah blah blah. .......



If you have a legit reason for why this should not print, click the tattle button on top and present your case. Woot wants to know if a similar shirt is available elsewhere, if this is a copy of something that belongs to someone else, if it resembles a scene from a movie or a still picture too closely, etc. In that case, it would probably be rejected.

But unless you can show that this is breaking one of woot's rules or something like the reasons above, this is not going anywhere. In that case, you need to let go. You made your point and no one posting has been influenced by it. It's time to move on.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
kdeuce wrote:thanks. splotchytreeclipart.com. check it out.
it's great.




HAHAHAHAHA

gizmoduck1234


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gizmoduck1234
mjc613 wrote:If you have a legit reason for why this should not print, click the tattle button on top and present your case. Woot wants to know if a similar shirt is available elsewhere, if this is a copy of something that belongs to someone else, if it resembles a scene from a movie or a still picture too closely, etc. In that case, it would probably be rejected.

But unless you can show that this is breaking one of woot's rules or something like the reasons above, this is not going anywhere. In that case, you need to let go. You made your point and no one posting has been influenced by it. It's time to move on.



Are you addressing this back in time to the me from yesterday morning? Because that's the last time I posted on this topic.

And voting and tattling aren't the only two options available. Add a Comment is there for a reason, and one of them is to express discontent with unoriginal fan art being voted up. And I'd say some were influenced because after I posted several people chimed in in agreement.

jda318


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jda318

well I like it alot... i wish it would be a shirt because i would totally buy it

temporaryescape


quality posts: 0 Private Messages temporaryescape

this is the only design that's getting my vote. i want to go snowboarding in this shirt! the colors are what makes it.

azadpanchi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages azadpanchi
snarkygal wrote:I have to hand it to you kdeuce..you keep using the same few graphic elements over and over and get huge vote totals every time. Wooters are incredibly stupid and have short memories



emm maybe because we like them

bpr2


quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

wow, I have never had to scroll so much to reach the bottom of a derby comments page.

that was fun while it lasted!

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
beefzaweef wrote:First of all, its tuesday mr.

Second of all, I have a special IN with DF and I know for a fact that his turtle scene was adapted from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7OBikQo1U at exactly 4:18.

A simple subsitution of clown for goo and minus a few flippers and Viola!

Seriously though folks, if you like it, vote (oh wait, a ton of people are doing that!)

If you don't like it, post here to take out your resentment and try to make yourself look like a donkey (oh wait...)

Got to love the market!!!



O, the irony. Most of the foolishness has come from supporters of the shirt either incapable or unwilling to comprehend that someone else might not like something that they do. I can see how gizmo's tone may have sparked rather more intense criticism than anything he said really warranted, but the point is that there are many legitimate criticisms here and really the only people who aren't listening are the ones complaining that anyone could not immediately love this shirt.

As I said before, I am well aware that this will sell out and probably be in the top of the reckoning for some time. If I thought it was tattleable I would have done so and posted nothing and let that be that, but the point isn't that it's a copy. It's that it is just another example of why many feel the derbies rarely have shirts worth buying. It's been more than adequately demonstrated by "Me-too birds flee a pander tree" that the community here is rather predictable and easy to manipulate.

If you're here to get fairly mindless nostalgia pieces, congratulations, you've found another good one. But many of us here hold out for the artists who try just a little bit harder to get our money. And I think this is especially relevant since DF specifically asked how to get attention to his other shirt which is is more original artistically and thematically, but it requires a conscious effort by the artists to not simply pander with simple pop culture references. The best artists here refrain from doing this, and if they do, the art is quite striking (see cho's "1984: Duck Hunt").

Congrats to everyone who likes this shirt because you're going to get one, but at least attempt to be a little open minded especially when you're criticizing others for not being so.

marypuppe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marypuppe
BootsBoots wrote:Someday your husband's vote is going to get me printed. I just know it! (thanks for forcing your husband to throw me an extra vote, Mary. BFF Power!)



Hey, it was his idea, your stuff stands on it's own!

I'm picky, I just don't always express it

Vote on Threadless!:

undercurrent


quality posts: 0 Private Messages undercurrent
mrwednesday wrote:O, the irony. Most of the foolishness has come from supporters of the shirt either incapable or unwilling to comprehend that someone else might not like something that they do. I can see how gizmo's tone may have sparked rather more intense criticism than anything he said really warranted, but the point is that there are many legitimate criticisms here and really the only people who aren't listening are the ones complaining that anyone could not immediately love this shirt.

As I said before, I am well aware that this will sell out and probably be in the top of the reckoning for some time. If I thought it was tattleable I would have done so and posted nothing and let that be that, but the point isn't that it's a copy. It's that it is just another example of why many feel the derbies rarely have shirts worth buying. It's been more than adequately demonstrated by "Me-too birds flee a pander tree" that the community here is rather predictable and easy to manipulate.

If you're here to get fairly mindless nostalgia pieces, congratulations, you've found another good one. But many of us here hold out for the artists who try just a little bit harder to get our money. And I think this is especially relevant since DF specifically asked how to get attention to his other shirt which is is more original artistically and thematically, but it requires a conscious effort by the artists to not simply pander with simple pop culture references. The best artists here refrain from doing this, and if they do, the art is quite striking (see cho's "1984: Duck Hunt").

Congrats to everyone who likes this shirt because you're going to get one, but at least attempt to be a little open minded especially when you're criticizing others for not being so.



Too long to read...Please resub a summary...

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
palmettogirl wrote:Wait a second. We aren't calling this anime, right? Because I think that would be giving it too much credit. There are simple designs and then there are three identical paint cans copy and pasted with a different fill color.



If you look at real paint cans, they all look pretty much the same...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

JustJiggles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Birth of a DJ



Voted for it, but damn it would look better on Navy.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:taking lessons from cheese, are you? XP

seriously... can you please find a way to create without adding splatter, smears, or unnecessary stains all over? I mean really... pick up the game. The Otaku Twins are beating you now and I really don't know which is worse at this point.



Seriously, what is wrong with the inky style? You may consider it needless or unnecessary, but it adds a distinctive visual flavour to his designs. I certainly couldn't add such splatters to a design and still have it look natural. kdeuce does it with infinite skill, and it looks good on the shirt.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: The Original Grill Master



Great, great illo, Lucky. I love it.


BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
AdderXYU wrote:
The style, while simple, is distinctive... while it has similarities to Boots' waterslide ponderer, you couldn't mistake the two (unlike Pom and Poko's entries, which may as well be the same person).



This naked little painter guys actually offends my waterslide ponderer. Put some clothes on! This is so indecent!


hotcha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha
mrwednesday wrote:I can see how gizmo's tone may have sparked rather more intense criticism



Not just HIS tone.

mrwednesday wrote:It's that it is just another example ...the community here is rather predictable and easy to manipulate.



Should i be insulted now?

mrwednesday wrote:If you're here to get fairly mindless nostalgia pieces...



How about now?

It's kinda hard to take your point that supporters of this shirt need to be open minded when you yourself seem to be broadly insulting everyone who likes it.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
beefzaweef wrote:If you don't like it, post here to take out your resentment and try to make yourself look like a donkey (oh wait...)

Got to love the market!!!



Really? Someone has a differing opinion and you call it resentment? Wow.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
mrwednesday wrote:Very long post from someone else who doesn't like this shirt.


No one says you have to like this. No one says you can't state why you don't. (If someone does, they are wrong.) But could you do it in less than space?

Constructive criticism helps designers improve. Long rants help people get testy. Instead of that, recruit members who have the same taste as you. We will all benefit in the long run.



InLoveWithAdderXYU


quality posts: 0 Private Messages InLoveWithAdderXYU

Adder, call me. And put me at the top of the list for your new CD. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Yours,

ILWAXYU

fwed1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fwed1
dest581 wrote:It would be excellent if shirt.woot! sold woot!-branded AA blanks for a day, but I'd buy a more interesting color than white :P



They did, it failed.

They sold about 300-400?

TychPsych


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TychPsych
Re: Blank Canvas (white) (resub)



I think Adder might be one of my favorite people on shirt.woot.

TychPsych


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TychPsych
dekonstruct wrote:Yo dawg, I heard you like video games on yo t-shirts. So we put a t-shirt on yo videogame so you can wear it while you play it.



You're doin it wrong

fredv


quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredv
Re: The epic begins



Still don't get all the complaining on un-originiality. People obviously like the design because it reminds them of a favorite from the past. It doesn't have to be obscure or totally original to be good.

Oh, and the other shirts I voted for were the Mickey shirt and the blank canvas shirt. So, there are shirts for all of us to like.

And, yes, there is a comment space for a reason, but I think constructive comments without so much criticism and sarcasm are much more helpful in getting across your point for not liking something and would go farther to help designers know what people are looking for. Although, I think being in the fog is a good indication also.

Hutif


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hutif
BootsBoots wrote:Birds being released is kind of textbook symbolism for a new beginning, I think. Literally, it's a beginning of a life of freedom for the birds. Enh. This talk is too deep for me.



Really? I was fairly certain this was the beginning of the "Crazy Bird Lady." Like you've been watching too much Family Guy or something...

XCharmedxForeverX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XCharmedxForeverX
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.


I LOVE THIS!!! I am a huge Disney freak and the classic disney is the best in my opinion so this shirt really caught my eye. I immediately got it, just from the thumbnail. This had better win, or at least get in the top 4! it is well drawn, really clever, and i agree that i dont know if I would actually wear this on a T-shirt.... i wish this could be made a poster, bcuz this wouldnt be very attractive to wear. maybe ill buy, we'll see

good job anyway!

Reaper621


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Reaper621
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.



I enjoy this one so much, that if it doesn't make the derby, I will buy one directly from you.

DarrylHamlin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarrylHamlin
Re: ... And after that, the humans appeared.



That looks like a good shirt for a caption contest, too.

"Oh my. I do say this could be an inconvenience."

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: It was a dark and stormy night... (resub)



What is this the beginning of?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

TheAlias


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheAlias


I absolutely love how this is presented

RobiSgay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobiSgay
Re: Epic!



ALL WILL PERISH UNDER HER POWA!!!
FOR SHE IS THE KEEPER OF TIME!

Kaliko2005


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaliko2005
Re: Epic!



THIS IS TOTAL ANNIHILATION!!!!!