josiahsgram


quality posts: 0 Private Messages josiahsgram
Re: In the Beginning



Wow! Looks like the creation story. You have all the details. I really like this. Awesome

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: A New Calling



Beam me up Scotty!....I'm given it all I got....If I give er anymore she'll blow.....Sorry I ramble....Very cool shirt...GMV!


Barnhill5


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5
ISO30 wrote:A brush-fire, maybe. The exchange of electrons, certainly.

The entry title "It was a dark and stormy night..." is the opening to Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton's (has there ever been a sillier name?) 1830 novel Paul Clifford. The line was made increasingly famous by Shulz as Snoopy repeatedly begins his perpetually-beginning novel in the same way.




But all that's all available for digestion on Wikipedia. Really, I just wanted to draw some lighting. Lightning is cool... it's all bright and stuff.



HA! Love your response. And your honesty

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
IndependentVik wrote:I just want to commend you on your good-natured responses, kdeuce. You get a lot of koi in your threads: most of it, imho, unwarranted.



thanks. it's more good than bad most of the time which is cool. there's always that handful of haters who find their way to my threads to take a dump but that got old quick.

toothpaste89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toothpaste89
Re: Hope Seed



Cant you people see this is the best t-shirt here?!?? Vote for it you FREAKS! (freaks in a good way, no insults intended)

toothpaste89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toothpaste89
theinfinityloop wrote:This might be me just being picky, but this is a tree-- not a sprout, so how can it be the beginning?



Its a tree coming from a srout, showing the process from the beginning, how would this shirt look with just a sprout in the middle of the page?

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
masterkraig wrote:Why would it get rejected? There aren't any gradients!

=P



Since it's a photo, it most likely has gradients.

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce

toothpaste89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toothpaste89
JadenKale wrote:taking lessons from cheese, are you? XP

seriously... can you please find a way to create without adding splatter, smears, or unnecessary stains all over? I mean really... pick up the game. The Otaku Twins are beating you now and I really don't know which is worse at this point.



Wow, I keep posting then reading more posts and I cant resist posting more! I mean, seriously if your going to post something as rude as the above your obviously mentally deranged or something (again, in a good way). Paint splatter is an art-form. When you insult this you insult me so keep such unruly and ignorant comments to yourselves (may I remind you that ignorance is bliss).

krouth


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
Re: And the winner is... (resub)


Not a fan of this one...

krouth


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
Re: The Genesis Clock



Very cool...

bobert414


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobert414

gmv.....sweet.......

Re: Hope Seed



thethatcher


quality posts: 3 Private Messages thethatcher

fantastic fog. I can't wait to buy this shirt.

marypuppe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marypuppe
Re: In The Beginning



I'm not really digging the style, but I LOVE the concept.

ahuhuhu!

I'm picky, I just don't always express it

Vote on Threadless!:

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
masterkraig wrote:Amazing design, I just think it would look stronger on navy. This on black just seems like a science-kid shirt to me :P



You're right. I've been trying to figure out (other than the streamers and glowing rocks) what bothers me about this shirt, even though I like the actual focus (moon/earth splitting) so much. And the black is part of it, and it's because it seems like a little boy 80s shirt. THANK YOU for nailing it in my mind.

I don't know if the navy would make up for the other stuff (I think I just don't like shirts with big designs/designs on much of the shirt), but I think it would improve it. I'm so torn though because the main part is really incredibly awesome. ARGH.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

toadann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toadann
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.



With baited breath, I wait for the weekend. So GLAD to see it in the FOG! Go 1928! Go!!

gr3ygoos3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr3ygoos3
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.



I don't get it...
Mickey Mouse?

I have 2 favorite baseball teams. the Red Sox and ANYONE who beats the Yankees!!!!!!!

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: The epic begins



This must have so many votes by now, I'd be willing to say it's sealed in 1st place.

Great shirt, I know so many people that would love this.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

prateeko


quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko
gr3ygoos3 wrote:I don't get it...
Mickey Mouse?



Yup. I'm happy to see this in the fog and hope it gets printed (also hope it prints well)

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

f.y.i this wasn't the first music written. nice idea though.

that was fun while it lasted!

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: In the Beginning was the Command Line...



>_ START "GMV"

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
rglee129 wrote:Awesome shirt! Sorry it's not fogging. Weird and frustrating, huh?



naw its cool. :D

its a decent but weak concept. art is just plain. i notice that concept/insta-funny is still king but eye candy is also now a popular contender.

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

I like this one. good job

that was fun while it lasted!

x9x9x9x9x9


quality posts: 0 Private Messages x9x9x9x9x9
Re: The epic begins



awesome

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

good design. not crazy on the shirt color though.

that was fun while it lasted!

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

yes please

that was fun while it lasted!

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
wils9745 wrote:Thanks for managing to glide under the already unbelievably low bar for worthless submissions!



How about some constructive criticism? Making fun of the submission does nothing to better the artist.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
smedgrick wrote:How about some constructive criticism? Making fun of the submission does nothing to better the artist.



Technically, no constructive criticism can be given when there is no design to constructively criticize.

Constructive criticism: When entering a design contest, make sure to enter a design. A blank canvas does not count.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
Re: Math Problem



If I didn't know how to do a problem in physics, I would draw a picture that looked something like this and pray for partial credit.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jimiyo wrote:naw its cool. :D

its a decent but weak concept. art is just plain. i notice that concept/insta-funny is still king but eye candy is also now a popular contender.



^^ Ah, but woot eye-candy is like Dave Matthews Band... skilled with instruments, but unable to make anything cohesive with them

bazookajoe55


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bazookajoe55
Re: Birth of A Tree



Fantastic!

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
ISO30 wrote: Really, I just wanted to draw some lighting. Lightning is cool... it's all bright and stuff.



And I just want to wear some lightning. I'll try and get you 200 votes, but it will be tough.

MaliceDR


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceDR
Re: Birth of the Moon


This shirt is AMAZING! The graphic is incredible and the vision mind blowing. There are two problems however.

Firstly is the nagging feeling that this is the kind of shirt I would have worn fifteen years ago when I was a kid living in Huntsville, space capital of the freaking world, or at least the deep south.

The second problem is the placement. If you sized the image down a tad and move it to the right shoulder, it would be a lot more powerful and appear less kidish. It's a little on the late end to make an adjustment and resubmit, sad to say.

Kaliko2005


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaliko2005
Re: The Birth of Birth (Resub)



I am aware of the illegality of this shirt but I've been using photoshop alot today learning halftones and layer editing and I was wondering if this looked any better than the other stuff I've submitted. So basically, I just want your advice on the shirt
How could i clean this up more?

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
eHalcyon wrote:Technically, no constructive criticism can be given when there is no design to constructively criticize.

Constructive criticism: When entering a design contest, make sure to enter a design. A blank canvas does not count.



That's what I'm talking about. If everyone had something helpful to say, then train-wrecks like this could be avoided.

Constructive criticism: you should draw a tree, perhaps something like this?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Kaliko2005 wrote:I am aware of the illegality of this shirt but I've been using photoshop alot today learning halftones and layer editing and I was wondering if this looked any better than the other stuff I've submitted. So basically, I just want your advice on the shirt
How could i clean this up more?



Rather than submitting it, you could have just posted the image in the main derby thread.

It looks like you're using layer effects on that sphere - inner shadow, inner glow? I'm afraid you can't use those in shirt design. It also looks like you have gradients - blue to purple in the background and a white-to-green in the sphere. While gradients *may* be printable by woot, they've always been rejected in the derbies. Some rejection notices hint that they might accept simple gradients, but they don't define "simple" for us, and no gradients have survived thus far. Best to avoid them altogether.

In general, all the shapes of your design should be crisp - no anti-aliasing, no partially transparent pixels. Because the design should be created at high resolution, it will still look smooth when shrunk down for a shirt comp, and when printed on a shirt.

For designs in general, you should usually avoid the squared-off look. You've got a square background image on this one and it looks like you grabbed an image and dragged it over top of a shirt template. Instead, look for ways to integrate the design into the shirt, so it looks like it belongs there. In the same vein, try to avoid creating designs that are large sheets of ink.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask for more clarification if I haven't been clear.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
Re: A New Generation is Born



What a horrendous birth defect/disease! These people should be killed quickly before they have a chance to infect others. By the way, is the guy supposed to be "clowning around" with the kid? if so...gmv

Stina9162


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stina9162
Re: The Open Road Outback




yess 2 of my favorite animals featured!!!!! vote people I want thisss!

Kaliko2005


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaliko2005
eHalcyon wrote:Rather than submitting it, you could have just posted the image in the main derby thread.

It looks like you're using layer effects on that sphere - inner shadow, inner glow? I'm afraid you can't use those in shirt design. It also looks like you have gradients - blue to purple in the background and a white-to-green in the sphere. While gradients *may* be printable by woot, they've always been rejected in the derbies. Some rejection notices hint that they might accept simple gradients, but they don't define "simple" for us, and no gradients have survived thus far. Best to avoid them altogether.

In general, all the shapes of your design should be crisp - no anti-aliasing, no partially transparent pixels. Because the design should be created at high resolution, it will still look smooth when shrunk down for a shirt comp, and when printed on a shirt.

For designs in general, you should usually avoid the squared-off look. You've got a square background image on this one and it looks like you grabbed an image and dragged it over top of a shirt template. Instead, look for ways to integrate the design into the shirt, so it looks like it belongs there. In the same vein, try to avoid creating designs that are large sheets of ink.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask for more clarification if I haven't been clear.



thanks a ton! yeah ill take to heart many things you said im getting better at this stuff i love it thanks again! also, one more question, are we actually limited to those colors listed on the woot template? also, where can i go to find a better looking shirt template?

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Gonna Be Big in Japan


The main problem I have with this shirt is that I don't watch Sci Fi movies, so I didn't know who Mothra is . I of course know about Godzilla, but I did not realize that this is Baby Godzilla. He looks less like the grown version than the baby muppets look like theirs. jmo