aoviss

quality posts: 23 Private Messages aoviss
thembfam wrote:So glad this came in first. Love it! Congrats Travis. Now I have to go and try and scrape up some coin and hit the coinstar. Here's hopin' for Drakxxx tomorrow!

Doesnt coinstar take a 3% fee? Dave Ramsey would have a field day with you!

peawhy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peawhy

If you like strange monkeys, not a woot monkey though

KeyserSoze33

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KeyserSoze33

I dig brown shirts. I dig monkeys.

SOLD.

icecue7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icecue7

Hm... I like brown shirts, the colors are nice, the design is cool, I love 孙悟空, and what else can I say about it? I bought one.

craavinhappyhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craavinhappyhead

I have never been more excited for a derby, in fact this is the first time Ive wanted to post. Great shirt had to be in for 2!

nam512

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nam512

This is a freakin awesome shirt but monkey king could be in so much more better color then blue like red, yellow, or even gold!!!

Leto

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Leto

Freaking awesome shirt. I'm a white monkey, so I had to buy one. (Born in the year of the monkey, and a white guy.) My wife has always said I'm like Sun Wukong.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
aoviss wrote:Doesnt coinstar take a 3% fee? Dave Ramsey would have a field day with you!

Your giving people a hard time about their money when they come to an instant gratification site? Dave would start a march to get woot shut down on principle.

Barbequepork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barbequepork

\/\/OOT! Got one!

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420

Awesome color choices. The blue is really stunning, especially with the bit of red to set it off.

Carpe shirtem!

Bmop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Bmop

Can anyone verify the meaning of the chinese characters? I don't want to get strange looks from chinese people because my shirt has a picture of a monkey and says "I enjoy man flesh."

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz
JadenKale wrote:It's probably not actively read by woot, but have you voiced this in the threads that specifically discuss the look of the new layout?

oh yes, along with many others

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Bmop wrote:Can anyone verify the meaning of the chinese characters? I don't want to get strange looks from chinese people because my shirt has a picture of a monkey and says "I enjoy man flesh."

From the artist, tgentry, in the derby thread:

"The text on the shirt reads "Sun Wukong" in traditional Chinese (I spent about an hour verifying this just to make sure)."

thejakeyl88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages thejakeyl88

really nice colors, the blue is fantastic.

EDIT: I'm viewing the site in 1920x1200 which leaves tons of extra canvas, so get with the program woot and fill it up!

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Bmop wrote:Can anyone verify the meaning of the chinese characters? I don't want to get strange looks from chinese people because my shirt has a picture of a monkey and says "I enjoy man flesh."

Yes, it says Sun Wukong. You can check the Wikipedia page on the Monkey King where it lists the name in traditional Chinese characters. Also you can find it on several images of Sun Wukong throughout the net. I'm pretty confident that it's accurate.

ohioplayer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ohioplayer
AdderXYU wrote:Thank god.

Now I know I don't have to look at all tomorrow night. Congrats on the print, Travis.

Allow me to echo Adder's post. You had the only print I was interested in. Gratz TG!!
Oh... N 4 1

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard

The 3 characters are "Sun Wukong" which is his dubbed name. In Cantonese it sounds more like "soo mm hoong." But yea that's the name given to him by his master/teacher.

Here's a link to a more modernized TV series in Cantonese.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41jLqXILfk

Keep in mind the right in the beginning the guy is talking fast in mandarin, whereas the theme song and show are all in Cantonese. I just don't want ppl getting confused.
They say his name "Sun Wukong" at 5:48 in the video. Enjoy

Fuzzylavapenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fuzzylavapenguin

Are Sun Wukong and Son Goku the same person?

SarahPants5

quality posts: 6 Private Messages SarahPants5

Congrats on the print. I was disappointed by this derby...I was hyped on the theme, and then the designs didn't grab me, so I decided not to get any shirts from it. Might get this for a friend though...*leaves Jaden in suspense*

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
JadenKale wrote:Your giving people a hard time about their money when they come to an instant gratification site? Dave would start a march to get woot shut down on principle.

In my monthly budget, I have $20 set aside specifically for Woot Shirts. If I did the rollover, then I'd have $50 to spend this month.

I love the design, but I can't bring myself to buy it. I think it's the brown shirt, but it wouldn't have worked on anything else.

Congrats, and there is no * next to this win in my brain.

Valis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Valis
Fuzzylavapenguin wrote:Are Sun Wukong and Son Goku the same person?

Yes. Sun Goku is the way the characters are pronounced in Japanese.

Fuzzylavapenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fuzzylavapenguin
Valis wrote:Yes. Sun Goku is the way the characters are pronounced in Japanese.

Oh, thanks for the quick response. I figured that they were the same but wasn't entirely sure.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
SarahPants5 wrote:Congrats on the print. I was disappointed by this derby...I was hyped on the theme, and then the designs didn't grab me, so I decided not to get any shirts from it. Might get this for a friend though...*leaves Jaden in suspense*

Oh the nail-biting torture!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Fuzzylavapenguin wrote:Are Sun Wukong and Son Goku the same person?

Dragonball was (very loosely) based off of Journey to the West.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

cuchalainfilms

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cuchalainfilms

This is my fav o the fog! In for 1, congrats Tgentry, from a fellow washingtonian! I love the combination of colors, I think this will look awesome!

Winshoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Winshoe

I LOVE this shirt. Great job, tgentry! Most of the shirts I've bought from woot are made by you.

crzmnky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crzmnky

I love this design and especially the colors. Got 2, going to gift the 2nd

rocketjohn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rocketjohn

Awesome shirt is awesome. I voted for this too! My first ever vote! In for one :-)

lotusfey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lotusfey

bought one <3 the design!

invinceble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages invinceble

love monkey king, love shirt, BOUGHT!

deltad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deltad

I remember watching this series ALL DAY when I was like 6. Oh good time...

alphafx7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphafx7

got one!

waivted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waivted

Haven't bought a shirt in awhile, but had to pick this up. It's the MONKEY KING!!! Great job Tgentry.

ZeeGee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZeeGee
heartluce wrote:"The text on the shirt reads "Sun Wukong" in traditional Chinese (I spent about an hour verifying this just to make sure)."

In fact, that's simplified Chinese not traditional, they only differ by the first character though

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

WTG again tuna!!!

DrkRonin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DrkRonin

WICKED!!!! i took back all my other votes (sorry guys) for this shirt, it was amazing!

SaritaBeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaritaBeth

oh yay!!! my internet was down before, so happy to see this one!! and there is NO * by this 1st place win silly. its totally deserved, and if you think about it, if you placed lower maybe you could say that. (though still wouldn't be true) but to rocket to the top, past the others that were in the fog before you even submitted? its totally totally deserved.

and technical issue anyone please awake now...trying to buy 3, site not letting me select more than 1. I click 3, I try clicking 2 even, and nada. its doing NOTHING when I go clicky clicky. please help!

and another Edgar gets printed:

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

http://cameesa.com/buy/design/168/fiction-vs-non-fiction

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Congrats Mr. Gentry! This is a great design. I cashed in one of my HM codes for one.

icenmyfreeza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icenmyfreeza

FINALLY a shirt worthy of being on here this week.

I am not a fan of scary monkeys (Wizard of Oz) kinda but I am down for anything that Kicks A$$ and this shirts gets TWO thumbs up because I only have TWO.

If I had more I would give it 4.

Anyway congrats!

ryojikun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryojikun

Definitely in for one. It's my culture, baby. Gotta love.