2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

Congrats, tgentry!!!!!

happykat27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happykat27

i just don't get this shirt... am i missing something?

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Congrats, TG! Very worthy of first place, there is no asterisk.

I love the colors. And for that reason alone, I'll probably get one.

(and, yes, AdBlock Plus is the best invention since....ads)

Jestik

aoviss wrote:UGH! Another ^%#$ing monkey. I *hate* monkeys. I'd have bought this even if it were a giraffe head. ANYTHING but a boffing monkey!

Great design, but yuck on the monkey.

Sadly, the lore on The Giraffe King was lost during the Dark Ages....

Sky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sky
icenmyfreeza wrote:I am not a fan of scary monkeys (Wizard of Oz) kinda but I am down for anything that Kicks A$$ and this shirts gets TWO thumbs up because I only have TWO.

Opposable thumbs are excellent things to have.

I was gonna pass on this one, but after reading about the Monkey King a bit, and after thinking about how excellent the colour scheme here is, I think I'll really regret it if I don't get this shirt. So, in for one.

AciDeX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AciDeX

In for two! The dude I work with that told me the story of the monkey king back when the Forbidden Kingdom was in theaters is going to flip when I give him this shirt!

granddad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages granddad

In for three!! Great job, tuna.

GGWilliams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GGWilliams

Cool design but I am looking for an Ox.

ghostrider273

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostrider273

pssswch...Sun Wukong *shrugs...

Hanuman - The Indian Monkey King is way cooler..

besides whats with Woot endorsing Chinese mythical beings - I dont like it..

/\ \/

/\ \/

Rolet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rolet

Bought one

This and the Charon one were the only ones that I really wanted. Gratz on the print!

SaritaBeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaritaBeth

ok managed to get it to work, with much cajoling, threatening, poking and general hopping up and down. in for 3 yay! and crossing all my finger and toes for a draxx print this weekend too!

and another Edgar gets printed:

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

http://cameesa.com/buy/design/168/fiction-vs-non-fiction

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

I'm hoping for a Drakxxx's print too!

What better way to bring back hope to the deflated shirt.woot faithfuls than to have a tgentry and a Drakxxx print in the same weekend..

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

Oh, I'm so happy to see this shirt up here today! A big congrats Gentry!! I'm not a big monkey fan, but I'm still so freaking glad you got first. This is a well drawn, beautifully colored and unique design. Now, if Drakxxx gets a print I'll be ecstatic!!!

ChefRAZ wrote: WTG again tuna!!!

ROTFLMAO!!! Awesome!!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
ghostrider273 wrote:

Oh, man, I would've lost it if someone had made a badass Hanuman shirt. Though, technically, it would've been against derby rules, since Hinduism is a contemporary religion.

akakin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages akakin

Curse you! Now I can't stop with Smashmouth singing "Might as well be WuKong on the Sun"

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

Congrats on the print! I was so expecting to see a boring Alphabet up here today, so this is a pleasant surprise.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Bmop wrote:Can anyone verify the meaning of the chinese characters? I don't want to get strange looks from chinese people because my shirt has a picture of a monkey and says "I enjoy man flesh."

It says Sun Wukong in simplified Chinese. While some may tell you that it can also be Japanese, this is false. I assure you that first Character there is simplified Chinese and does not exist in Japanese.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Congrats on first place, TG. This was my favorite of the fogged designs.

slin9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slin9
tgentry wrote:Yes, it says Sun Wukong. You can check the Wikipedia page on the Monkey King where it lists the name in traditional Chinese characters. Also you can find it on several images of Sun Wukong throughout the net. I'm pretty confident that it's accurate.

tgentry - 1st of all I bought one, b/c i loved sunwukong when i was a kid & how appropriate during chinese new year... in terms of the chinese characters - when i first saw it in the derby i wasnt sure about the 1st character (SUN - or grandchild)... unless youre using some simplified version of the word that ive never seen... i'm pretty sure you're missing a piece on the right part of that character... you have the character for "small" on the right - it looks like its missing the top part... u can see it in the wikipedia page, or larger here http://www.chineseinkdesign.com/Chinese-Symbol-for-grandchild.htm ... either way, great design - and i'm sure my older relatives will let me know the accuracy of the characters when i wear it...

donnaluvswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnaluvswoot
akakin wrote:Curse you! Now I can't stop with Smashmouth singing "Might as well be WuKong on the Sun"

Excellent!! Very witty...hate the shirt though. I am one of the few who does, as I can see. I just don't do scary monkeys that remind me of Wizard of Oz. Congrats to the artist!

nainebel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nainebel

Okay, I don't claim to be particularly far in the story, but I've read a good deal of Journey to the West. The Monkey King is mischevious for the first, oh, hundred years of his life or so. Other than for the Monkies, his people, he was a pain in the butt for -everyone-. He stole his magical items (including his staff, which is an iron rod used to pin a river down). For a while in his story he didn't do anything good at all, even terrorizing heaven and earth. Stealing peaches that would make him immortal and all that fantastic stuff. Oh, and 'stronger than an army' in the description is good, because he fights several of them from heaven. Though, I will say, he does eventually turn over a new leaf. After a lengthy punishment.

However, Sun Wukong -is- awesome in so many ways, so I'm in for one.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

slin9 wrote:tgentry - 1st of all I bought one, b/c i loved sunwukong when i was a kid & how appropriate during chinese new year... in terms of the chinese characters - when i first saw it in the derby i wasnt sure about the 1st character (SUN - or grandchild)... unless youre using some simplified version of the word that ive never seen... i'm pretty sure you're missing a piece on the right part of that character... you have the character for "small" on the right - it looks like its missing the top part... u can see it in the wikipedia page, or larger here http://www.chineseinkdesign.com/Chinese-Symbol-for-grandchild.htm ... either way, great design - and i'm sure my older relatives will let me know the accuracy of the characters when i wear it...

Yeah, I think you're right, it looks like the simplified Chinese text as shown on wikipedia page rather than the traditional as it's missing those top elements. But it should still read correctly.

endejester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages endejester

I gotta say I'm not sure about the colors, but I got one anyhow, because I -love- Journeys to the West and the Monkey King. First one in a while <3 Congrats!!

slin9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slin9
tgentry wrote:Yeah, I think you're right, it looks like the simplified Chinese text as shown on wikipedia page rather than the traditional as it's missing those top elements. But it should still read correctly.

yeah, its the simplified... i couldn't see it b/c i only had the traditional chinese language pack installed... didnt know i need a separate language pack (simplified) to see those characters... either way, nice work!

threemoons

quality posts: 19 Private Messages threemoons

Wonderful design,and a very nice way to start off the Year of the Ox! Grats to the artist.

chrmbly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrmbly

Love it. Plan on wearing to Chinese New Year party (if Smartpost gets it to me on time). Great design, too bad I keep spending money.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
chrmbly wrote:Love it. Plan on wearing to Chinese New Year party (if Smartpost gets it to me on time). Great design, too bad I keep spending money.

Awww you should have paid the $5 to have it by Tuesday.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
2thFairy wrote:I'm hoping for a Drakxxx's print too!

What better way to bring back hope to the deflated shirt.woot faithfuls than to have a tgentry and a Drakxxx print in the same weekend..

I can think of lots of things that would be better, but until woot takes a course in "art that is found places other than a manga convention," I would take that.

ricksan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricksan

Excellent! In for one.

dcxgod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcxgod
applepielicious wrote:Oh btw, to make it look more fun, the stick the Monkey King is holding is supposed to be "brass", not wood. In all the Chinese dramas that I've watched in the past, all the Monkey Kings carry a fancy brass stick like weapon.

The brass weapon is the legendary staff that can grow or shrink to any length.

IndependentVik

aoviss wrote:UGH! Another ^%#$ing monkey. I *hate* monkeys. I'd have bought this even if it were a giraffe head. ANYTHING but a boffing monkey!

Great design, but yuck on the monkey.

Oh, aoviss, whether you're a brilliant troll or an honest-to-god imbecile, I don't care anymore, because you always bring the lulz.

Claiming you'd buy if it were a different design while blatantly having "Never wooting again" in your sig: Brilliant!

cabbit56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbit56
tgentry wrote:Yes, it says Sun Wukong. You can check the Wikipedia page on the Monkey King where it lists the name in traditional Chinese characters. Also you can find it on several images of Sun Wukong throughout the net. I'm pretty confident that it's accurate.

I've been wanting to say that what you have on the shirt is in not all in traditional Chinese. The first character 孙 is a simplified version of 孫, while the other two write the same both ways. (The above two character should look different if your computer displays it correctly.) Since two of the characters are the same in both version and the first character is a simplified version, one can say that you wrote the whole word in simplified Chinese. It's still correctly written in Chinese, but I just want to clarify a bit since you emphasize it's written in traditional.

IndependentVik

Bouncing button! Congrats on the imminent sellout, gentry.

dcxgod

ghostrider273 wrote:pssswch...Sun Wukong *shrugs...

besides whats with Woot endorsing Chinese mythical beings - I dont like it..

/\ \/

Also, just because you found an obscure artist's rendition of Hanuman looking like that, doesn't mean that he's cooler. I could probably find one of the Chinese Monkey King that looked as hot as that one.

dcxgod

Here you go.

Jestik

Congrats on the sellout, TG !!!

see??? there is no asterisk. Truly deserving of a derby-winning, first-day-sellout!

magicmalcolm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magicmalcolm

Yay! This is the first shirt I've voted for in a Derby that actually got printed. Loved the blue-on-brown design primarily, but a mischeivous monkey king just makes it that much better.

So, naturally, I'm in for one. Congrats to tgentry!

dijin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin

I bought one but am considering buying another for no other reason than that I like it so much. Hmmm. Why do you guys buy more than 1 of a shirt anyway? In case one gets ruined in the wash? Or to give it to friends?

edit: sold out

JadenKale

Grats on the sellout, Travis!!! Awesome!

JadenKale

dijin wrote:I bought one but am considering buying another for no other reason than that I like it so much. Hmmm. Why do you guys buy more than 1 of a shirt anyway? In case one gets ruined in the wash? Or to give it to friends?

edit: sold out

you can always buy another one tomorrow after midnight tonight, with this link. I think it'll stick around for a while still. At the very least, 2 wks.

Another thing dijin, unless you did have another account, you wouldn't have been able to buy another one today since you made one purchase on the account for the item. But tomorrow, you can buy 1, 2, or 3... just at $15 instead of $10