tenieldjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo
iamjessica wrote:I think the shirt will be a sell out as 50% of the people buying will buy because it speaks to them on a high school boy who hides in the corner with other high school boys and plays games with 60-sided die .... the other 50% will buy it because a b-list celebrity designed it. I'm of the latter. Unfortunately, as I sit here and stare at it, I can't help but to wonder if I know enough about D&D to even explain the shirt to people. Given that I'm a girl and the whole design will be skewed (read: boobies) I'm guessing I need to pass.

Actually, I was a high school girl who hid in the corner.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
smcain wrote:..wow. Its sold out.

There are more people that want to showcase they play DnD then I suspected.

See, I'm looking at it as "wow, it sold out at 10am? That's way fewer DnD and Star Trek geeks than I thought woot had!"

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Stexe wrote:Except you have no real cred either. Old d20s used to only have single digit numbers and you had to put white powder in half of them to signify the 10 to 20 range.

I'm just surprised the shirt is missing d10s. Also, I'm surprised it sold out so fast. I guess it is just the author (Wil Wheaton) that got people to buy it. I mean even the Penny Arcade shirt is better than this one, and a lot of that money goes to a good cause. Oh well.

How about we just admit that you can't have "cred" and play DnD, huh?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:See, I'm looking at it as "wow, it sold out at 10am? That's way fewer DnD and Star Trek geeks than I thought woot had!"

yeah, this is pretty much what I was thinking too.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
AdderXYU wrote:See, I'm looking at it as "wow, it sold out at 10am? That's way fewer DnD and Star Trek geeks than I thought woot had!"

I'm somewhat thankful of this... that means less stuff for RobGlenn to use.

prepn15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prepn15

I actually prefer rolling in my prius

Just Keep Swimming

marimacc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marimacc
marajad3 wrote:I'd wear mine to Gen Con but I'll probably be wearing my Beholder costume instead. I think this makes me lamer than you. Now if I can just wire it up so the eyes light up...

Hey were you the one at Gen Con in that cool beholder costume last year? That was not nylon, that was awesome.

operationtrex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages operationtrex
JadenKale wrote:actually, we all do, since you make $1000 just for being chosen to print and then residuals after the first day's sales.

Don't say we "all" do, I don't and I'm part of that "all".

It's just a cool tee shirt. Please Don't make it out like that 1,000 would of cured Cancer.

fl4r3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fl4r3

DARN! It's sold out. I hope i get a chance to buy it again.

gee2thek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gee2thek
nehinbin wrote:Interesting shirt for the science and gambling lovers but not for me.

I think you (Original content not provided.) to see that this has really zero to do with gambling.

--- Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.

amillerz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amillerz

Yaye! First shirt.woot, first post. In for one ... y'know, earlier when they weren't sold out.

Honestly, I would have preferred 2d10 instead of the d20. Ah well, it's all the same to the clam.

marajad3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marajad3
marimacc wrote:Hey were you the one at Gen Con in that cool beholder costume last year? That was not nylon, that was awesome.

Yep! It's really fun to sneak up behind people and "look" over there shoulder with one of the eyestalks. I just have to worry about running over people. Ironically, I can't see very well out of it.

CardinalGoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CardinalGoldstein

Other than the fact that it was designed by Wesley Crusher, I cannot come up with any good reason to buy this shirt. Next.

Gnomercy

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Gnomercy
CardinalGoldstein wrote:Other than the fact that it was designed by Wesley Crusher, I cannot come up with any good reason to buy this shirt. Next.

I showed my husband and he said "Get me 2 of them" - when I tell him Crusher designed it, he will be even more my geek love slave.

Thanks Woot for delivering my geek man into my fiendish female plot.

By the way, I game too.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
Gnomercy wrote:I showed my husband and he said "Get me 2 of them" - when I tell him Crusher designed it, he will be even more my geek love slave.

Thanks Woot for delivering my geek man into my fiendish female plot.

By the way, I game too.

Wow I didn't even know he was Wesley Crusher. Still nylon though. Where's Patrick Stewart's shirt?

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
fablefire wrote:Wow I didn't even know he was Wesley Crusher. Still nylon though. Where's Patrick Stewart's shirt?

after all those star trek pics i posted and the hours i spent probated you didnt get he was on star trek?
oh fable, my faith in you falters.

and i would like to add, thanks boots for drawing my attention to that particular word filter. its spectacularly funny for a change.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
peppersagooddog wrote:after all those star trek pics i posted and the hours i spent probated you didnt get he was on star trek?
oh fable, my faith in you falters.

and i would like to add, thanks boots for drawing my attention to that particular word filter. its spectacularly funny for a change.

I thought it was just generic geekdom! That and Patrick Stewart is The Man.

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

hey woot.... does this mean britney spears is designing the next shirt?
i would REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY like to lolpic at her you know.

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25

I feel like at least 100 of these shirts were sold to students of my undergraduate college...

But probably more, especially considering the caption on the message board of the file share system there today was "PTERODACTYLS! classes - woooooooooot oooooooooooofffff" and there is a d&d club there that reserves spaces and kicks people out of them who are studying!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25

hahaha talk about timing with the episode of bones and the sale of this shirt

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
peppersagooddog wrote:hey woot.... does this mean britney spears is designing the next shirt?
i would REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY like to lolpic at her you know.

I would most likely be in for 3. I love Britney Spears.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
sekiyoku wrote:I would most likely be in for 3. I love Britney Spears.

You are even more F A I L than I ever thought. Your above statement says sooo much about you and explains your designs a lot.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Wil Wheaton agreed to an interview about t-shirts -- check it out on http://BestLosers.com

KaneRobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KaneRobot
JustJiggles wrote:Ol' Gordie just screwed the pooch!

I laughed.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
operationtrex wrote:Don't say we "all" do, I don't and I'm part of that "all".

It's just a cool tee shirt. Please Don't make it out like that 1,000 would of cured Cancer.

No, by 'all', I was referring to the designers who actually create shirts. For any designer here who competes or creates dailies for woot, that can help pay bills or part of a house payment when things are tight. Especially if it sells out and the next day sales are rolling in. rdpollard has been around here a while and while s/he hasn't purchased many things, they critiqued the shirt, which s/he has every right to do here. Getting their head bit off by a newcomer who probably only came to woot to buy Wil's shirt, doesn't make his critique any less important.

The snip from a fan isn't needed here because someone felt like voicing their opinion on the shirt. Sure, go ahead, buy the shirt, support a famous person. On a smaller scale, this happened when Katherine from Ace of Cakes had 'Squarries' printed here (problem with hers was was, her piece was arguably worse than most dailies we've seen here). But people have a right to say what they will about the design. I may not always agree with what is said, but I will defend their right to shoot their mouth off and look like a friggin' jackass (I like that version of the original quote ;) ).

Wil, if he's just doing this for kicks, great. If he thinks he's a designer, I feel he should have the thick skin to deal with critiques... and if he doesn't have a thick skin already, something is horribly wrong.

eneref

quality posts: 13 Private Messages eneref
sekiyoku wrote:I would most likely be in for 3. I love Britney Spears.

Seki == awesome.

eneref

quality posts: 13 Private Messages eneref
JadenKale wrote:No, by 'all', I was referring to the designers who actually create shirts. For any designer here who competes or creates dailies for woot, that can help pay bills or part of a house payment when things are tight. Especially if it sells out and the next day sales are rolling in. rdpollard has been around here a while and while s/he hasn't purchased many things, they critiqued the shirt, which s/he has every right to do here. Getting their head bit off by a newcomer who probably only came to woot to buy Wil's shirt, doesn't make his critique any less important.

The snip from a fan isn't needed here because someone felt like voicing their opinion on the shirt. Sure, go ahead, buy the shirt, support a famous person. On a smaller scale, this happened when Katherine from Ace of Cakes had 'Squarries' printed here (problem with hers was was, her piece was arguably worse than most dailies we've seen here). But people have a right to say what they will about the design. I may not always agree with what is said, but I will defend their right to shoot their mouth off and look like a friggin' jackass (I like that version of the original quote ;) ).

Wil, if he's just doing this for kicks, great. If he thinks he's a designer, I feel he should have the thick skin to deal with critiques... and if he doesn't have a thick skin already, something is horribly wrong.

I'm pretty sure he's doing it for kicks. From reading his blog, Wil gives the impression of being the sort of guy that not only can laugh (hard) at himself, but the kind of guy who likes to just do stuff for the sheer fun that it adds to his life.

Which is totally cool.

justaredherring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justaredherring
JadenKale wrote:For any designer here who competes or creates dailies for woot, that can help pay bills or part of a house payment when things are tight.

Sure, go ahead, buy the shirt, support a famous person.

To be fair, this will be helping Wil pay his bills, too. He may be somewhat famous, but that certainly doesn't mean he's rolling in dough.

(Heh, I suppose it looks bad that this is my first post, defending a celebrity against criticism.)

Gnomercy

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Gnomercy
justaredherring wrote:To be fair, this will be helping Wil pay his bills, too. He may be somewhat famous, but that certainly doesn't mean he's rolling in dough.

(Heh, I suppose it looks bad that this is my first post, defending a celebrity against criticism.)

When I bought the shirts, I had no ideal who designed them.

My geek man love slave loves his d&d die, so I jumped on the buy it now button hard.

It wouldn't have matter who designed it.
It's cool.

gimetzco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gimetzco

how the heck did MR. STITCH get hooked up on woot?

cleothemuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cleothemuse

I got mine early this morning, and have spent the last several minutes ROFLing at the comments.

I agree with those who would prefer the d10 over the d12, but I simply MUST have the d6 for my cleric's Holy Smite spell or my rogue's shortsword.

Also speaking as a large-chested woman, I generally buy the men's M, and after a wash, it fits perfectly. If it's a Random Shirt day and all the Ms are gone, then I get the WXL, and gently "stretch" the chest of the shirt before putting it on.

mkrauss123

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mkrauss123
Stexe wrote:Except you have no real cred either. Old d20s used to only have single digit numbers and you had to put white powder in half of them to signify the 10 to 20 range.

I'm just surprised the shirt is missing d10s. Also, I'm surprised it sold out so fast. I guess it is just the author (Wil Wheaton) that got people to buy it. I mean even the Penny Arcade shirt is better than this one, and a lot of that money goes to a good cause. Oh well.

White powder? You must have been on coke. Powder comes off too easy. We colored ours with marker.

mkrauss123

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mkrauss123
marinersk wrote:Newbie.

Original d4 had the numbers on the BOTTOM. You had to pick up the die to read it.

Yeah I am sure the ancient Egyptians had all sorts of funky dice. I expect if you go to Giza and flip one of those giant caltrops over there would be some number carved on the bottom. But if they put the numbers on the edges, we wouldn't have to do that.

I was talking about real D4 in the mid '70s to early '80s. You know just when civilization had peaked.

I mean kids today have it sooooo easy... They never had to figure out how many D6 to roll if their character fell 65 feet. I mean from 2nd edition on is pure wasteland.

And I bet half of 'em don't even know how to use a hex map, or know what happens when an Orion raider overloads all its engines, or why Tholians have ships shaped like... Well never mind. It isn't important now.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
mkrauss123 wrote:White powder? You must have been on coke. Powder comes off too easy. We colored ours with marker.

Marker? Seems like you'd get ink everywhere. Crayons worked well since you could then scrape off the excess and it'd just leave the cracks filled.

ueberRegenbogen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ueberRegenbogen
kippyj wrote:I tend to agree, but I have flaming red hair. I can't usually wear bright red. However, in small doses on a graphite background it will look spectacular, I think. If not, I'll gift it.

No! No! Gift is not a verb!
Aaaah! Aaaah! Aah! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

ueberRegenbogen

mkrauss123 wrote:Come on people. None of you have any real cred. And this design makes Mr. Wheaton an obvious poser IMO. Old sk00l D4 had the numbers mid-line on the sides and not on the corners.

And were bloody annoying, as the relevant number often ended up facing away! Hated em!

ueberRegenbogen

emperor187 wrote:No worries then...just think of it as Roman gambling dice. The icosahedron die dates back to ATLEAST the 2nd Century AD. Other types of dice date much further back. Games other than D&D use dice of different types :o

Holy koi! A lot older. Dice are prehistoric. And Theaetetus described the icosahedron in the 4th century BC.

He also gave proof that there are only 5 convex regular polyhedra (now known as the 5 platonic solids) of which decahedrons are NOT, so stuff your irregular-buttocked (and unnecessary) d10's, people. ;)

ueberRegenbogen

ueberRegenbogen wrote:And were bloody annoying, as the relevant number often ended up facing away! Hated em!

To my horror, i just noticed that the d4 on here is the ultra dorky kind with 3 number on each face, instead of just inscribing them on the flatted corners. Aaaaaagh! Wil! How could you?

dalamar666

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dalamar666

Am I the only one that ordered 1 but have two tracking numbers? This is the first time i have seen two tracking numbers. Is this a glitch???

Staxeon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Staxeon
dalamar666 wrote:Am I the only one that ordered 1 but have two tracking numbers? This is the first time i have seen two tracking numbers. Is this a glitch???

Same for me. Ordered one XL shirt, now have two tracking numbers listed in the order.

Incidently neither one of them work.

Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
No man should have that kind of power.