ohioplayer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ohioplayer
FUNLS1 wrote:Once again woot isn't getting my money.

Anyone who bought this shirt should have googled "Japanese wave art" first and seen how unoriginal this shirt is.

You ain't joking....

http://iconicionic.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/the_great_wave_off_kanagawa.jpg?w=450

Solivagant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solivagant

great shirt...buttttttt...it's not on a black or white shirt and for some reason I only wear black or white shirts

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
ohioplayer wrote:You ain't joking....

http://iconicionic.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/the_great_wave_off_kanagawa.jpg?w=450

He doesn't need to be joking, the joke is on him.

Zenverse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse

Wow I saw this shirt and immediately thought of the famous Japanese painting (correction: woodblock print). I've been awfully frugal the past few derbies and haven't bought anything since Overcrowded Elevator. I would be so happy to wear this shirt. It would show off my Japanese art loving nerdiness!! =D

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
fairnymph wrote:Why can't we have something artistic AND creative? Geez.

This suffers from both posteritis and giant-print-discomfort. It's a pretty design, but I don't see myself wearing it.

Can't argue the posteritis, but will argue the giant print-discomfort. It is a fairly large print, but with the gradients in there, plus plenty of the shirt color showing through, it would definitely breath just fine.

Nice work, jimi, thinking about getting it. If only I didn't have 70 other shirts lurking in the closet.

some1else

quality posts: 0 Private Messages some1else

This is artistic and grown up? This isn't cartoony? Woot, I don't think you get it... this is still a print of a *thing*.

I've bought a few shirts from you... most I end up layer only underneath something else or to sleep in on cold nights. So I'm getting pickier.

How about a shirt that actually displays some design? It doesn't have to be an animal, a wave, a flame, a divine being, a robot, etc. It could just be shapes, colors, lines. Something creative! Something artistic! Not "look how great an illustrator I am" artistic, but truly artistic. Something that people (like me) would be proud to wear openly.

Have you guys run a purely wide-open "Artistic" themed derby yet? It might be a good place to start -- though you should probably add a rule that you can't reference any existing art. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of starry night ripoffs.

Teknikas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas

I'm pleasantly surprised as I usually don't care for the shirts on this site...I do however like this shirt and am gonna buy one Cool design, good pick wootshirt!

EvaRibs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvaRibs

I don't understand why these waves are made of hair.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

FUNLS1 wrote:Once again woot isn't getting my money.

Anyone who bought this shirt should have googled "Japanese wave art" first and seen how unoriginal this shirt is.

Alas, exactly my thoughts. I want to buy this, woot, just to prove that my orneriness has a point behind which I stand firmly.

But this isn't exactly novel art. It's just another aspect of the issue about which I whine. The kawaii about which I kvetch and this art based on traditional pictorial scrolls are two sides of the same cliched coin: recycling a style without adding anything to it.

While I like this design, it's the principle of buying something that does something new or interesting with an already-established style. Or ideally just does something new and interesting. I'd take either, though it's more probable that I'll have to settle for the former.

But I do like it... this is hard.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Congrats on the big news Jimi! Very inspiring and well earned.

JonSnow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JonSnow

Jimiyo took a piece of art and made it his own. Yes it's obvious where he got his inspiration but it's a far cry from a copy.

ryanrchurchill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ryanrchurchill

It's only McART. Don't forget the prize inside, and what kind of sauce do you want with your nuggets?

Originality has gone the way of the Dodo (for those of you old enough to remember the Dodo).

Notsomuch. I would have bought the original.

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre

Woot says:
But it’s funny…when we do commission a daily shirt with a more considered, refined aesthetic approach – like today’s Van Goghkusai botanicalesque waves – there’s nobody here but us crickets. The cute stuff flies off the shelves like marshmallow pegasi. The cartoony shirts move faster than Tom after a hotfoot from Jerry. But when we throw the art supremacists a bone, they barely give it a nibble.

And thus my lingering question is answered. Do the Woot folks REALLY read the boards?
That would be a yes!
Best write up I've seen and damn they've been awesome more often than not.
So, I've bought 3 out of the last 4 shirts. I'm skipping this one.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I am going to have to agree with a lot of the posts:

This is very artistic. However, it is completely, 100%, unequivocally, unoriginal.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Jimiyo,
Stunning! In for one.

I was just about to email you to ask you to put this on Cameesa or something since it wasn't showing up here like you mentioned. Grateful to finally get it!

I have to comment on all the "unoriginal" posts. It is obvious where his inspiration came from but that doesn't diminish the fact that he made it totally his own and made it work better on a shirt than the inspirational source would have.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

So today’s the day. If you’ve had your fill of the adorable cannibal-animals and the anthropomorphic vegetables, here’s your chance to step up or shut up – all in the name of art, of course.

I'm stepping up. Not even going to use an HM free coupon, going to pay my $10 cash money.

n8drumsdw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n8drumsdw
Stexe wrote:Huhm... the waves look oddly familiar to this clipart one I found for use in my art class... same curl and basic shape...

I guess there is only so much you can do with waves, but still seems a little strange.

Personally, if there is just a plain design on a t-shirt, I want it to be special. Like with special inks that makes it water color or spread around the whole shirt or something different. Congrats though...

You used clipart for your art class?

thejakeyl88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages thejakeyl88

This is a great shirt. Will look fantastic on asphalt due to the mixtures of whites and grays in the waves, and I've always thought blue and asphalt were nice looking.

Until I saw Sun Wukong, then I realized brown and blue is way better ;P

Anyways, bought a ton of shirts recently so I'm holding out on this one but I'm sure it will sell due to the amazing detail in the waves, they just look incredibly sharp.

My friend painted a very large table before with waves that are very similar and I believe the same inspiration had a role in both.-

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!

talia1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talia1

cool art, congrats.
but not for me.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
n8drumsdw wrote:You used clipart for your art class?

Didn't you know, all the good ideas have been used already... now they just teach how to steal clipart to make 'art'. XP

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Okay, fine. You got me. I'm a hypocrite. In for one.

dahl0593

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dahl0593

Awesome shirt! It kinda looks like an icy frozen wave, with snow coming down. A very artistic interpretation, indeed.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Jimi, this is BREATHTAKING!!!! I had to have it. Congrats on capturing the spirit of Hokusai's print, but making it your own. And thank you for leaving out the knives. =D

Woot, this is easily the best daily you have had in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Thanks for going with a designer we know and love, and for taking a chance on true art.

cyfry77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyfry77

I think this falls under the "you can't please everybody" category. Of course the squeeky wheel gets the grease, though.

Although I love all the funny shirts, they're just not my style. I have to say that I would be more prone to wear an "artsy" shirt than an adorable vegan critter eating his buddy. (But let's face it, bloody bunnys are a riot).

In the end, you guys just have to do what makes you happy, i.e. what makes you money.

-Cheers

MykalB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MykalB

Liked this immediately when I saw it, and then I saw who the artist was. Of course I liked it. Jimiyo does great work, and this will be a great addition to my collection.

But Jimi, you've got to stop this. I've run out of space for the shirts, and soon will run out of money to buy them with. Maybe next you could do a shirt with a cannibalistic animals or anthropomorphic vegetables so I can get a break and not have to buy that one.

ladyshiva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyshiva
talia1 wrote:cool art, congrats.
but not for me.

This pretty much sums up shirt.woot.

albinofish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages albinofish

is this an original? The same image was used during a tedtalk on TED.com earlier this week...

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ladyshiva wrote:This pretty much sums up shirt.woot.

I'd think it would need a "this inhales sharply and creates suction, how'd it sell out" clause.

etherealstrife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etherealstrife

A beautiful (albeit 100% ripoff / unoriginal) piece of artwork.

dlberk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlberk

Hey is it just me or does anyone else see a few mountains in this picture. And a funny Dr. Seuss-like snow covered cliff at the top left.

Or maybe I'm just that stoned.

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
JonSnow wrote:Jimiyo took a piece of art and made it his own. Yes it's obvious where he got his inspiration but it's a far cry from a copy.

This this, loving THIS.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

Top notch work, gorgeously executed. Congrats jimiyo!

mjc613

dlberk wrote:Hey is it just me or does anyone else see a few mountains in this picture. And a funny Dr. Seuss-like snow covered cliff at the top left.

There are mountains. I think your cliff is a wave. I have no idea how stoned you are, but while you are there, enjoy yourself. My cousins used to stare at this on TV in your condition.

Vegan

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Vegan

Doesn't do it for me. All it's missing is a wolf and some lightning in the background.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
mjc613 wrote:There are mountains. I think your cliff is a wave. I have no idea how stoned you are, but while you are there, enjoy yourself.

BWHAHAHAHA

psyddicus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psyddicus

It's not that I don't like the design, it's that I don't think it's something I would wear. I've bought a couple shirts here now and they were both aesthetically pleasing and something I could see myself wearing.

Like others have said, this is a really neat picture that a lot of work obviously went into...but you don't often see people wearing shirts with their favorite paintings on them. This design goes on a wall, not on my chest.

Tanapangarap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tanapangarap

Laughed when the narrative got to "And don’t get them started on the Derby". I'm one of those vocal minority, though not as loudly or fuming with anger (though I've been quite irritated watching the last few derbies).

I decided to step up and buy this shirt. Great art. Love it on asphalt.

Get with The Program.

mjc613

psyddicus wrote:
but you don't often see people wearing shirts with their favorite paintings on them. .

I totally disagree with you. Here is an example of a shirt that belies your point.

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

dahl0593 wrote:Awesome shirt! It kinda looks like an icy frozen wave, with snow coming down. A very artistic interpretation, indeed.

dlberk wrote:Hey is it just me or does anyone else see a few mountains in this picture. And a funny Dr. Seuss-like snow covered cliff at the top left.

It's all this and more. We don't all see art the exact same way.
I see screaming eagles, and LOVE it!
Jimiyo rocks!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

Congrats on the print Jimi! It's refreshing to see this here.