Computiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Computiker

2nd shirt.woot buy
Quite the sexness.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

Such praise from so many high-profile designers and opiners! Thanks!

I like the way the clock hands are the harness, too, but wasn't sure if anyone would notice. Good eye, linksdeity. And, yes, slowjam- the aged texture, green halftones, and thinner lines on the clock are there to make it seem relatively far away. I just added the wood grain (from my cousin Donna's basement) a couple of weeks ago to unify the whole thing so it was one picture instead of two. Thanks to woot for sitting on this one a bit and offering suggestions, otherwise it would have been my original:

yuck!

@ faultylogic: the exclamation point is just something I put in a lot of my eye reflections. I don't get extra-woot-credit for it.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
AdderXYU wrote:Absolutely Cuckoo

much better of the two songs, by a landslide.

harmonious1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages harmonious1

Kickazz design but I'm surprised how much everyone is feelin' the green. I probably would have preferred brown for this one, but I'm pulling the trigger anyway. Great job!

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns
rglee129 wrote:Such praise from so many high-profile designers and opiners! Thanks!

I like the way the clock hands are the harness, too, but wasn't sure if anyone would notice. Good eye, linksdeity. And, yes, slowjam- the aged texture, green halftones, and thinner lines on the clock are there to make it seem relatively far away. I just added the wood grain (from my cousin Donna's basement) a couple of weeks ago to unify the whole thing so it was one picture instead of two. Thanks to woot for sitting on this one a bit and offering suggestions, otherwise it would have been my original:

yuck!

The wood grain helps to realy bring the design together and perspective with the clock more behind the bird gives a better feel of it flying away.

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

Nice, but the wings end up looking too static & mechanical. Yes, I know the bird is escaping via a mechanical device (Deus Ex Machina?), but that doesn't necessarily require that the bird itself looking unreal.

EinnaFK

quality posts: 8 Private Messages EinnaFK

Oh, wow. Spectacular improvements! The final piece turned out great. :D

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

When I was small, my family visited friends in the country, for a week. My brother and I had to sleep in an attic room, conveniently placed above a room where a host of these stupid clocks were mounted. We lay there--unable to sleep due to the clicking and ticking and chiming--and tried to scare each other with stories of the wooden birds coming alive in the night, trying to burrow through the ceiling and fly into our ears and eat our brains and then use our skulls for their new cuckoo homes. On the third night, a bat flew into our room through a tiny window we had left open for ventilation. My brother and I screamed and screamed, convinced the cuckoos had broken free and had come to actually get us.

I love this shirt.

(Edit: I'm red! I'm red! This shirt has pushed me into the red!!! I am well on my way to being better than everyone else!)

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
harmonious1 wrote:Kickazz design but I'm surprised how much everyone is feelin' the green. I probably would have preferred brown for this one, but I'm pulling the trigger anyway. Great job!

Good for St. Pat's Day. Nah, I just love this shade of green.

zozzles

shutts67 wrote:Boss Shirt, Boss!

I know.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
rglee129 wrote:Such praise from so many high-profile designers and opiners! Thanks!

*image snipped*

yuck!

Let this be a lesson on the proper use of halftones. Your subtle use accentuates the design very well, adding texture, depth and all manners of detail - they aren't there just to be... there. It's incredible what tiny dots can accomplish.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SavedChristian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian

Wow! Perspective is something many artist have trouble with, but you seem to have mastered it.

1. The greater texture usage in the background makes it feel drap, forcing your eye to the foreground.

2. The faded quality of the clock, helps to create an almost 3D feel to your shirt.

3. The shadows give the sense that all the light is on the foreground, on the escape, with nothing lighting the background.

1+2+3 = Near Nirvana!

Jason553

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jason553

One of the better dailies I've seen in awhile! Awesome print, in for one.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

eHalcyon

goldenthorn wrote:(Edit: I'm red! I'm red! This shirt has pushed me into the red!!! I am well on my way to being better than everyone else!)

Congratulations! I think I'm just 2 or 3 woots away from the black.

harmonious1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages harmonious1
heartluce wrote:Good for St. Pat's Day. Nah, I just love this shade of green.

Yeah, I was thinking I could wear it for St. Pattie's and BS people that the bird flying out of the clock is an old Irish folk legend.

JadenKale

ChefRAZ wrote: CUCU FOR COCOA PUFFS

I think you're a little more than COO COO for your cocoa puffs, m'dear.

heartluce

goldenthorn wrote:

(Edit: I'm red! I'm red! This shirt has pushed me into the red!!! I am well on my way to being better than everyone else!)

Congrats goldenthorn! I think my black square should say "WTheck have I done".

zozzles

JadenKale wrote:It's when you buy 100 shirts or more that you'll be in trouble lol

Yea, Verily, I Say Unto Thee: having three 90 quart boxes stuffed to the max (the lids don't quite want to stay shut) with XL shirts is... a little overwhelming. And it seems as though I'm still buying one a week which is a slower rate than it used to be, but this is FAR more addicting than plain woot where you never know what is going to come up (although some people prefer it that way) nor do you know how much it will cost (nothing quite like those multi-hundred dollar T.V. sets and so forth).

Still, I've managed to drop several grand here. Mostly, of course, before I retired and am netting about 1/2 of what I was getting before. I'm pretty much glad with everything I bought (I'd be willing to part with, say, 20%) but if I don't like a shirt, I don't buy it. Generally, however, I permit myself to be outrageously impulsive.

heartluce

harmonious1 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking I could wear it for St. Pattie's and BS people that the bird flying out of the clock is an old Irish folk legend.

Exactly and look at them like they're stupid for not knowing it.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
JadenKale wrote:I think you're a little more than COO COO for your cocoa puffs, m'dear.

you are so right too.. I get on these music impulses lately =P

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

This is fantastic! Why do the good ones always come when I'm broke?

Not only is this cuckoo motivated, it's intelligent enough to craft its own helicopter.

Brilliant!

austin1031

quality posts: 0 Private Messages austin1031

I've only ordered two shirts before, but I am wondering about the sizes. For some reason, xs and xxs are not selectable. Does this mean that those sizes have run out? Or were they never there to begin with? Also, does this occur with other shirts, too? It's a pity, because I would have bought one if my size was available.

JadenKale

heartluce wrote:Congrats goldenthorn! I think my black square should say "WTheck have I done".

the "W T F Have I Done?" square should be purple and should blink obnoxiously.

heartluce

JadenKale wrote:the "W T F Have I Done?" square should be purple and should blink obnoxiously.

Yes! Purple obnoxious and blinking for the win and btw free the weasels.

littleerikwilson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littleerikwilson

Mr. Lee:

I just ordered the shirt.

When I first saw it, I was intrigued. The more I looked at the design, the more I was hooked on it. After I purchased, I went back and read the "about this artist" text accompanying the shirt, and I was blown away to discover that you're the designer of my favorite piece of party garb, the chubby unicorn.

Kudos to you sir. Not from a designer or an artsy type, but from the good old fashioned consumer. Your stuff rawks.

kipin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kipin

Awesome shirt, in for one.

eHalcyon

harmonious1 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking I could wear it for St. Pattie's and BS people that the bird flying out of the clock is an old Irish folk legend.

Some say old man McDonnell musta been drinkin' something fierce, all fluthered and langers. "A cuckoo escaping the clock? That's a horse's hoof if I ever heard one!" But let me tell ya, McDonnell's been drunk since he was a wee lad. He's got years behind him and he's no gobdaw - he knows what's real and what ain't. If he says it happened, it happen - I'm not slagging you. That cuckoo flew the coop and when he comes back, well feck-all, that'll be a holy show for sure.

I need to work on my Irish, I think.

thisonelies

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thisonelies

Bought 2. Least hesitation on any shirt.woot. Never heard so much praise for artistic merit, I don't get any of it, but great job RL!

JadenKale

heartluce wrote:Yes! Purple obnoxious and blinking for the win and btw free the weasels.

ROFLMAO

PermaBuzzed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PermaBuzzed

Nice one, I think I'm in for one.

Shenorock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shenorock

Holy cow, this is the best daily I've seen since I've been following shirt.woot. I think I'm going to have to get this.

Is that the plank the bird sits on that he's attached to his back? Awesome.

hookemhorns212

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212

In for one! I think probably the best daily in awhile!

Also note I am trying to learn html stuff so if my signature messes up it is 'cause I don't know what I am doing.

eHalcyon

hookemhorns212 wrote:In for one! I think probably the best daily in awhile!

Also note I am trying to learn html stuff so if my signature messes up it is 'cause I don't know what I am doing.

The boards use BBcode, not HTML. Probably the easiest way to learn it - if you see someone post something (image, url, emoticon), click "reply". The message box will quote whatever they wrote, so you can see the code they used.

This trick also works for figuring out woot filters.

gee2thek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gee2thek

In for one, even though my budget just started screaming at me not to. This is fantastic work, dude! It shall be worn with a big coo-coo grin on my face.

Also, I'm diggin' the new "Quality Post" counter, WOOT. Grandiose idea!

--- Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.

sidecarsally

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sidecarsally

Great graphic!

Kind of reminds me of myself if I were a bird in a cuckoo clock. Which I'm not, but IF...

JadenKale

sidecarsally wrote:Great graphic!

Kind of reminds me of myself if I were a bird in a cuckoo clock. Which I'm not, but IF...

so you just like to fly out of the house in a whirlwind...?

snazzybumblebee7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snazzybumblebee7
gee2thek wrote:You know you're gonna kick yourself when it's sold out. ;-)

any idea how quickly WS sells out usually? I suppose everything sells out quickly on a shirt this good.

EdwardBlake

quality posts: 15 Private Messages EdwardBlake

Awesome shirt! My first woot purchase. ;)

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Crazy awesome attention to detail. Everything from the excellently rendered gears to the halftones implying propeller movement shows us you definitely put sweat and blood into this.

It's nice to see a daily with 'easter eggs' too, like the paint missing from the feet and the clock hands harness. Awesome work.