superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Thought I'd try my hand at the derby again.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

pimaster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pimaster
nyke15 wrote:So no one is going to attempt a little touched by an angel?

This made me picture a little boy in a courtroom scene, crying and pointing an accusatory finger at the defendant: a creepy old angel in an orange prison jumpsuit.

Haha, I need help.

woot!shirts I own:

shakezula

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shakezula

Bah. So far I'm not too impressed with any of the entrants so far.

Acorns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Acorns

I'm surprised I haven't seen any X's in a samurai outfit yet.

tnt138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnt138

Ok, I finally got time to finish! Now up for Voting! Bionic Woman!

Comment! Vote!

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I'm not in love with anything yet...or at least not anything I could WEAR.

Requests:

BSG!!!! - you would get a lot of votes, trust me.
a *good* Firefly design (sorry, the current ones are boring)
Veronica Mars - no idea what you'd do, but I'd buy it on principle
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - the heart/robot design someone did a few months ago would work, if adapted

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

CHILLI20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CHILLI20

My second derby entry...Inspired by: The Secret Life Of The American Teenager

bohunk33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bohunk33
sekiyoku wrote:There seem to be a lot of obvious good choices. Firefly and Dollhouse come to mind. :p

Man, firefly was amazing. I will be looking forward to a firefly t-shirt

bohunk33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bohunk33

I am a little new to voting on Shirt.woot Where do I go to actually vote and see what people have submitted for the derby? When can i do this?

Thanks for the help.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Like everyone else, I did Thundercats this week lol:

Thanks for looking!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
bohunk33 wrote:I am a little new to voting on Shirt.woot Where do I go to actually vote and see what people have submitted for the derby? When can i do this?

Thanks for the help.

Hi bohunk, here is where you go to vote:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Derby.aspx?id=92.

click "I want one" (above the picture) if you want to vote for a shirt.

Here's another question: are people voting mostly
1)if they like the show
2)if they like design
3)if they like the show AND the design.

As for me, I would wear a cool design even if I didn't know/like the show (especially since there is no text), but from some comments it seems like people specifically won't vote for a cool design if they don't like the show.... or that they vote based mostly on the show.

Just curious...

Vote!

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
jasneko wrote:
*snip
Here's another question: are people voting mostly
1)if they like the show
2)if they like design
3)if they like the show AND the design.

As for me, I would wear a cool design even if I didn't know/like the show (especially since there is no text), but from some comments it seems like people specifically won't vote for a cool design if they don't like the show.... or that they vote based mostly on the show.

Just curious...

For me, it depends. I did vote for one of the Thundercats designs because I thought the design was cute. However, I've never seen an episode of Thundercats. I also voted for the Leave it to Beaver entry because I loved the design, and I'm a fan of the show, and I think the artist captured the essence of the main character's personality perfect in the design.

However, if I liked a design, I'd vote for it whether I like the show it referenced or not.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

ekuest

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ekuest

i want to see a case of beer (or coke if beer isnt allowed!) for "cold case"

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Here's the sub version. I hope y'all love it as much as I do

Thanks for all the suggestions!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu

Here is my entry finally. I'm struggling with Photoshop and my tablet lately. I think I'm going to switch back to Illustrator for next week. Naturally, I did my fav show that my username is based on.

Inspired by Sailor Moon

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

AJez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AJez

Based on some suggestions received, I've submitted a version 2 of my Time Warp shirt. Please vote if you liked the first one!

It looked a bit off on the pure red shirt, but I think it does look better than the first one on this color.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

My first design created specifically for the derby in months. Not yet done, but hoping for suggestions since I can't finish before tomorrow night. I intend to add a bit more shading/highlighting detail.

My Little Pony + The A-Team

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

JonSnow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JonSnow

edit: wow I should have looked at the last page, first.

anarchyvirus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anarchyvirus

shirt.woot once again panders to the fisherprice crowd almost enforcing cutesy design vomit to spew.

ack154

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
anarchyvirus wrote:shirt.woot once again panders to the fisherprice crowd almost enforcing cutesy design vomit to spew.

Ya, I'm trying to figure out how one particular shirt went to the fog in LITERALLY 24 hours after submission... and is currently leading by 60+ votes. Especially when it ISN'T THAT GOOD!

I call shenanigans on Woot and their voting.

I would LOVE to see a derby with no names. PLEASE WOOT! Anonymous derby next?!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
ack154 wrote:

That would certainly make things interesting. Though it might also have to enforce no comments, since probably people will try to guess the designers there.

I made a Hell's Kitchen shirt... feedback/suggestions for improvements appreciated... thanks.

Vote!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ack154 wrote:Ya, I'm trying to figure out how one particular shirt went to the fog in LITERALLY 24 hours after submission... and is currently leading by 60+ votes. Especially when it ISN'T THAT GOOD!

I call shenanigans on Woot and their voting.

if shenanigans are happening, what difference does it make if there are no names? votes supporting any shenanigans ought to already know which entries they're shenaniganing.

ack154

no1 wrote:if shenanigans are happening, what difference does it make if there are no names? votes supporting any shenanigans ought to already know which entries they're shenaniganing.

Because at least that way people visiting the site would be voting for a design they would actually wear instead of an artist that drew that design - which is a truly novel idea...

And then if similar results continue, it may help narrow down the shenanigans.

no1

ack154 wrote:Because at least that way people visiting the site would be voting for a design they would actually wear instead of an artist that drew that design - which is a truly novel idea...

what if people would rather wear a shirt based partly on who the artist is?

ack154 wrote:And then if similar results continue, it may help narrow down the shenanigans.

what do you mean by "similar results?" do you just mean "designs that i don't like continue to win?" if you just mean that you don't like the anime/manga style, i think that that style is fairly popular elsewhere. if so, that style could continue to win, even in your anonymous-designer scenario. is merely being popular evidence of shenanigans?

while i, personally, would prefer a greater variety in the winning designs, i'm not so sure that simply anonymizing the entries will enable detection of shenanigans. possibly a more useful scheme would be for woot to publish a map showing the geographical distribution of votes (based on ip addresses) for the winners, similar to the map showing woot purchases by state. a bunch of votes coming from a single state would be ... interesting.

fablefire

no1 wrote:what do you mean by "similar results?" do you just mean "designs that i don't like continue to win?" if you just mean that you don't like the anime/manga style, i think that that style is fairly popular elsewhere. if so, that style could continue to win, even in your anonymous-designer scenario. is merely being popular evidence of shenanigans?

while i, personally, would prefer a greater variety in the winning designs, i'm not so sure that simply anonymizing the entries will enable detection of shenanigans. possibly a more useful scheme would be for woot to publish a map showing the geographical distribution of votes (based on ip addresses) for the winners, similar to the map showing woot purchases by state. a bunch of votes coming from a single state would be ... interesting.

Does the U.S. map on the purchase page go by IPs or by zip codes?

no1

fablefire wrote:Does the U.S. map on the purchase page go by IPs or by zip codes?

i assume by zip codes. however, i also assume they should have the ip information available, should they choose to store that tidbit every time someone votes. further shenanigans would have to go to another level by ip spoofing.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ack154 wrote:Because at least that way people visiting the site would be voting for a design they would actually wear instead of an artist that drew that design - which is a truly novel idea...

And then if similar results continue, it may help narrow down the shenanigans.

A nameless derby continues to be a horrible idea. It won't stop voter fraud, because anyone frauding knows what they're doing. And seriously, if you only vote Ramy, you vote for every beady eyed desu guppy entry that comes up and you'll get him in there too. You only vote Boots, you seriously think you can't find her entry even without a name? It'd just take pointless coding time that could be used to, I don't know, prevent people from voting on multiple accounts.

fablefire

no1 wrote:i assume by zip codes. however, i also assume they should have the ip information available, should they choose to store that tidbit every time someone votes. further shenanigans would have to go to another level by ip spoofing.

It would be interesting to compare the voter geography to the buyer geography.

wesraymond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wesraymond

Inspired by Naruto!!

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

Hiya! Here is my entry-INSPIRED BY THE DOG WHISPERER! No offense to Cesar Milan but for some reason this title inspired visions of Doggie Dictators and evil "hypo-suggestions"! Zombifyed Kitties march towards their doom!

Click my image to vote! Or give me feedback!

---Melinda (Spanishmel)

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
anarchyvirus wrote:shirt.woot once again panders to the fisherprice crowd almost enforcing cutesy design vomit to spew.

If people have ways to manipulate the voting I doubt removing names would accomplish much...images are just as easy to recognize.

ack154

no1 wrote:what do you mean by "similar results?" do you just mean "designs that i don't like continue to win?" if you just mean that you don't like the anime/manga style, i think that that style is fairly popular elsewhere. if so, that style could continue to win, even in your anonymous-designer scenario. is merely being popular evidence of shenanigans?

I agree that just making it anonymous wouldn't do a whole lot to pinpoint the shenanigans. It just seems like there is a lot more unrest about this situation than anyone seems to want to admit - let alone Woot. And it would be nice to see someone do something about it.

And I'm really not even talking about designs I don't like. I'm talking about shady happenings and much better works not even having a chance.

Regardless, like I said, it would just be nice if someone at least was looking into it or acknowledged some part of it - or even if it were totally debunked by Woot with some sort of proof or reasoning. I could accept that.

bennisartstudios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennisartstudios
databit wrote:Mock up of possible entry:

See blog for other ideas.

Ok, I laughed at this one.

bennisartstudios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennisartstudios

I am surprised that no one has done anything with the show 'Bridezillas' or 'Golden Girls'.

An idea for Golden Girls could be some old ladies sporting gold chains, teeth grills and bling. : )

fablefire

bennisartstudios wrote:I am surprised that no one has done anything with the show 'Bridezillas' or 'Golden Girls'.

An idea for Golden Girls could be some old ladies sporting gold chains, teeth grills and bling. : )

Golden Girls doesn't do it for me, but Bridezilla has possibilities. Never seen or heard of the show though.

extraimagination

quality posts: 0 Private Messages extraimagination

I still feel like the current entries are missing the mark. There's an abundance of potentially great designs, but I can't say I'd be interested in wearing many of them.

If it helps stimulate the creative juices of the creative population at large, I'll just throw some show titles out there that I think would make some great shirts if designed well:

- Grey's Anatomy
- Twilight Zone
- Man vs. Wild
- Destroyed in Seconds
- One Way Out
- Lie to Me (this one could be difficult, but for anyone who has seen the show, you'll know what I mean when I suggest a collage of faces)

donnaluvswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnaluvswoot
ansharp wrote:Another entry! Please vote!

Inspired by All in the Family

I'm sorry, I just don't get it.