Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

xjacekx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xjacekx

Yay! congrats on the print!

pianolin717

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pianolin717

I just couldn't resist! and I hope that by buying this I didn't overdraw my checking account... oops!

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss

Is that a flaming elephant booger?

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Congrats on the win

TwilightFaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TwilightFaltz

Congrats on the print, though I was hoping for Draxxx to take 1st place.

conhopper

quality posts: 20 Private Messages conhopper

this is my umpteenth shirt from you.

I don't know what it is in your shirts that makes me keep buying, but I think it might be the fantastic (in the literal sense) and the comedic trends.

derp

hawk0168

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hawk0168

Do I smell a Disney lawsuit?
Disney sues EVERYONE.

aayjay

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aayjay

This design makes me happy on the inside. I dunno if I wanna wear it on a shirt, though. Congrats on the win, anyway.

ANagler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ANagler

well done.

and yeah, there is some really really great pizza under the Manhattan bridge. DUMBO (har) is good for that.

ShirtsonSale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShirtsonSale

Maintained by Shirts on Sale -- Home of the best t-shirt coupons and sales!

TheMadMule

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TheMadMule

I'm still confused as to what is floating in front of the Heffalump's trunk.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

Since I can't express my disdain for yet another mediocre print from a mediocre designer, I'll try this:

I love your parable in the write up, woot. It's really fitting for this shirt.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
hawk0168 wrote:Do I smell a Disney lawsuit?
Disney sues EVERYONE.

i could've sworn that was heffalump when i first saw it

corruptdcrusadr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corruptdcrusadr

Cute. I might get one.

Valis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Valis
hawk0168 wrote:Do I smell a Disney lawsuit?
Disney sues EVERYONE.

Dumbo was based on a children's book in the first place, and even so the design is ambiguous enough to cast a reasonable doubt upon infringement.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
AdderXYU wrote:Since I can't express my disdain for yet another mediocre print from a mediocre designer, I'll try this:

I love your parable in the write up, woot. It's really fitting for this shirt.

You might go into detail, rather than slamming a shirt for the sake of slamming it. =)

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

KaylaJ

TheMadMule wrote:I'm still confused as to what is floating in front of the Heffalump's trunk.

think its supposed to be a shooting star?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
TheMadMule wrote:I'm still confused as to what is floating in front of the Heffalump's trunk.

Looks like a feather to me.

I really like the colours. Not sure I like it on a shirt. The elephant shape could use some work too. Congrats on yet another print though.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

superfo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superfo

Were the elephant's hind legs amputated? I don't see them... D:

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

I don't get it. What's the meaning? The elephant wishes he was a flaming feather that could fly over all the circus tents? It looks nice but it's too random and arbitrary for my taste.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

It's a feather

theghotiman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theghotiman

So, it's come to this. A Dumbo shirt? Next time maybe we can have a Toy Story or Snow White or Song of the South shirt.

Really, I like thinking about things from the time period I grew up in as much as the next guy, but I am growing tired of seeing such references on shirts. Can we try and expand our repertoire for next time?

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

Is that elephant (if that is what it is) wishing to go down and stomp on all of the tents (if that is what they are)? Or does that white blob which looks remarkably like the whale from The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe something that the elephant is wishing to see perform a "splashdown"?

williehsu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages williehsu

congrats! i'm down for one.

AdderXYU

Gatzby wrote:You might go into detail, rather than slamming a shirt for the sake of slamming it. =)

By this logic, I'd be deleting all the "congrats!" posts that don't go into depth also. Like the inane drivel the "artist" and her "artist" boyfriend leave at the top of every thread to promote their wares, yet never actually say anything.

As I've said before, if nothing is good, what is there to be in depth about?

KaylaJ

kcmark wrote:I don't get it. What's the meaning? The elephant wishes he was a flaming feather that could fly over all the circus tents? It looks nice but it's too random and arbitrary for my taste.

he's happy he can't fly and be sucked into a jet engine!

other than that, i don't understand the feather, but nice snail cloud.

dijin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin

I'm surprised this printed, let alone being first too. Last time I checked there were a lot of criticisms in the derby.

AdderXYU

KaylaJ wrote:he's happy he can't fly and be sucked into a jet engine!

other than that, i don't understand the feather.

It's dumbo.

No, no, the MOVIE. yknow, the thing that already exists so inspiration doesn't need to actually happen?

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
AdderXYU wrote:By this logic, I'd be deleting all the "congrats!" posts that don't go into depth also. Like the inane drivel the "artist" and her "artist" boyfriend leave at the top of every thread to promote their wares, yet never actually say anything.

As I've said before, if nothing is good, what is there to be in depth about?

Why isn't it good?

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

It almost looks like a volcano just erupted and the little bits of molten ash are coming down...

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

Yay, wow, thanks you guys. :D I know the placement's a bit different, but I like fun placements on shirts.

Sorry if you don't like it, but I'm glad if you do. ;)

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

KaylaJ wrote:he's happy he can't fly and be sucked into a jet engine!

other than that, i don't understand the feather, but nice snail cloud.

You're being sarcastic and I'm not reading it correctly because I'm too sleep-deprived, right? Right?

Otherwise--assuming you are of legal age, location, and sound mind--I advise you to get mildly drunk or deliciously high, rent/purchase/download Dumbo, and watch the film.

And Woot? What a beautifully sharp, twisty knife you wield. I love you for that write-up. Like, I love love you. Of course, that might be the sleep-deprivation again.

KaylaJ

AdderXYU wrote:It's dumbo.

No, no, the MOVIE. yknow, the thing that already exists so inspiration doesn't need to actually happen?

apparently if you don't see a movie for 20 years you forget those details huh? plus i keep thinking its heffalump

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

By the way, the shirt preview is different from usual- it's the shirt template and the preview instead of just the picture like it usually is. Weird. :O

shibz0r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shibz0r

this is adorable... but i don't get how it doesn't infringe on that whole obviously referring to a copyrighted object, especially something as copyrighted as disney.... i've seen hundreds of shirts rejected for more vague likenesses... oh well.

AdderXYU

Gatzby wrote:Why isn't it good?

Because it is poorly conceived, not very well executed, heavily inspired by Dumbo, and looks like a city is on fire.

Actually, its thread could sum up everything wrong with this "picture" (to use Seki's terminology) better than I could here. Nothing this absolutely boring should be winning derbies when even a horrible theme like the Circus provided better work

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:As I've said before, if nothing is good, what is there to be in depth about?

You've made plenty of lengthy indepth posts about various bad shirts (and the state of woot in general). I think you've proven that there's plenty to be in depth about, even if nothing is good.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

Do the clouds remind anyone else of The Wind Waker (Zelda)?

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles
AdderXYU wrote:By this logic, I'd be deleting all the "congrats!" posts that don't go into depth also.

All told, this is an interesting problem. On the one hand you've got the "chacun a son gout" types who simply do not like a design but, in fact, cannot say why. If they don't go into detail, chop those posts out.

On the other hand, I must admit that I get literally bored (yeah, I know this is my problem, not yours) about the ten or twenty-some-odd "Congrats on the shirt/print" that then don't go any further.

So: is it important to retain all of these sorts of posts (and, of course, the feedback that results) or would it be wiser to nip the, uh, stuff in the bud?

edit: I've been studying the dynamics of social intercourse on "bulletin boards" or "chat programs" like this since 1988.