jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
dieburnbot wrote:I like this shirt if only it wasn't cranberry. barf

Weird. Cranberry is one of the more popular colors here. Ironically, while you view the color of the shirt as its only negative, I view it as its only positive.

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
SquirtleMyJigglypuff wrote:LOL Oi! Mosh good! I love that bunny shirt Fable... might be my first woot sometime ^_^

Glad to see you have such a great personality too! Negativity is so uncool o_O

...and quickly before I log,

Thank you! Glad you like it. =)

I've just been surrounded by so many negative people lately that it's really starting to make me sad. More smiles! =D

...which is also why I can support this design because it made me smile. ;)

dtownley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtownley
fablefire wrote:I mean what does that second one even mean? Are you saying that I'm just busting your three-dimensional circles? Are you saying that I'm ignorant in reading your posts? Are you saying that I have another agenda? Are you saying that my reading comprehension in general is awful? I have no idea.

I dunno, I'm going to go out and enjoy what will probably be only 5 minutes of sunshines, but I just get really confused by the double standards and especially the hate directed at the style the wondertwins and myself use. Even more confusing is why after 18 months since the kawaii win of Scurvy, people feel the need to hate on the style (and variations of) now. Even more, why go beyond hating on the art and move on to hating the people? I can understand hating on the art because it's meant to be commented on, but the artists? FURTHERMORE, I really don't see the need to hate on the people who take 2 minutes out of their day to say something positive about a design. They didn't even do anything.

Oh well.

That's life right?

Time for some vitamin D. =D

Fablefire,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying what I'm sure many of us forum lurkers are thinking!

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
JadenKale wrote:
I call things as I see them.

whale biologist!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

AshleyInTransit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AshleyInTransit
fablefire wrote:...Even more, why go beyond hating on the art and move on to hating the people? I can understand hating on the art because it's meant to be commented on, but the artists? FURTHERMORE, I really don't see the need to hate on the people who take 2 minutes out of their day to say something positive about a design. They didn't even do anything...

Well said.

Lamar2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lamar2

terrible shirt..thanks for helping me keep 10 dollars in my pocket.

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
fablefire wrote:...and quickly before I log,

Thank you! Glad you like it. =)

I've just been surrounded by so many negative people lately that it's really starting to make me sad. More smiles! =D

...which is also why I can support this design because it made me smile. ;)

cats(shaped like dogs) on fire make you smile?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Okay, everyone. Let's keep it about the shirt.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

animatedbox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages animatedbox
leelaaa wrote:cats(shaped like dogs) on fire make you smile?

it's a cartoon

Leptailurus

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Leptailurus
animatedbox wrote:it's a cartoon

Cartoons, though stylized, usually bear some semblance to the animal they were based on. Usually cartoonists spend a while studying and sketching the anatomy of the real animal before twisting it into a cartoon character.

This shirt, to me, looks like ramyb didn't even bother looking at even one picture of a tiger before drawing it.

meow meow meow meow meow meow

dazlindz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dazlindz

I'm one of those people who likes all the cute shirts... and I've been spending a lot more money on woot recently.

I'm sorry if my vote for ramyb & other cute shirts get your favorites knocked out of the fog, but in the end it *is* a democracy, and apparently the cute shirts are selling. And as woot pointed out, the deep, artsy ones don't sell out.

I guess in the end I pay (literally) for the cute shirts winning. *shrug*

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict
superspryte wrote:Okay, everyone. Let's keep it about the shirt.

JadenKale wrote:blah,blah,blah

fablefire wrote:blah,blah,blah

Remember:
The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
- Hubert H. Humphrey

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Ouch

Well, I wanted to make this comment last week, but didn't want it to seem insulting to the artists who printed, but since my shirt came pretty damn close to underselling its vote total this week, I think it's warranted and hopefully people will see that I really mean it, since it applies to my designs as well.

Woot had 6 weeks straight of sellouts, including two weeks of triple sellouts, as well as some daily sellouts, and so obviously there were a LOT of people actively purchasing shirts at a very high rate for a while, and so I think it's definitely the case that there are a decent number of people who are "purchased out," meaning that they are going to stop themselves from buying for a while. That, combined with derby themes that people didn't find particularly interesting, has led to two weeks in a row of lower sales on derby shirts, but without as strong of an impact on voting in the derby. There obviously have been several shirts that sold well recently, but not in the same way that there were just intensely high sales for a very long period of time, so clearly people have become more discriminating in the past couple of weeks.

I understand that people vote for a variety of reasons. The most obvious one is that they intend to purchase the shirt, but it's definitely true that people will also vote for a variety of other reasons (want to support a piece of quality artwork that they wouldn't wear, want to support an artist who has been screwed over in the past, want to support a new member, or just want to support a familiar name for whom they have gotten used to voting).

In addition (as Adder has been preaching for a long time now) there are definitely users who have multiple accounts that they use to sway voting, even if it's ever so slight. I didn't believe it at first, but I've been watching more and more closely and it's extremely easy to see sketchy things at times. I don't mean new pictures getting lots of votes in their first three hours, or pictures moving into our out of new hotness over time. I'm talking about multiple pictures getting 15 votes within a minute or two in the middle of the contest. A lot of people have noticed this happening in the mornings, but it's not just then because it happens at other times too, and quite often has an impact on the standing of the contest. And while some of these occurrences may be just coincidence, I feel that they can't all be dismissed. I have gotten a lot of comments on my entries about how sketchy it is that they made it into new hotness after 2 hours, but I've never seen such a comment anywhere else. This happens most often on the last day of the contest (here's one example that I observed recently- notice the time in the bottom right corner in each of the three screenshots- 123)- It also happens any time a picture falls out of the fog (has nobody else noticed pictures "fog battle," where two pictures suddenly get very high numbers of votes in a short period of time because they are in 4th and 5th and trading spots? I really just can't believe that twenty people would suddenly decide that they really want to purchase a shirt because it fell out of the fog when they didn't want to do so before).

And it's so easy to justify. If it's just one extra account, then maybe they are just replacing someone else that would have voted but didn't get around to it. Or maybe you just assume that, because other people have them, then it's unfair if their votes are less represented. Or maybe it's their way of trying to "fix" the derby, because they feel that shirts they don't like are winning. Whatever the reason may be, I believe that Adder is right in thinking that most users have more than one account, which they acquired at some point over their woot-purchasing lifetime. And those one or two extra votes per person add up, and even if they are distributed in a way that doesn't end up affecting the rankings in the contest ultimately, it falsely inflates vote totals, which leads to frustration when shirts don't sell well. Looking back at the sea derby, for example, there are plenty of shirts that got higher vote totals than the number that boots's shirt sold, but I doubt that many, if any, of them would have actually sold more, because it just wasn't a derby that was interesting to people. And in the case of this shirt, although it did end up outselling it's vote total (barely), I highly doubt that every person (or rather, every account), that voted actually purchased it. In fact, I'm sure that's the case for even the best of sellouts, because people take it upon themselves to try to fix woot, but because every person's definition of fixing is different, it just leads to frustration for all involved. Voting shouldn't be about choosing the lesser of two evils, it should be about choosing shirts that you want to buy. If you don't like a single shirt in the derby, there's nothing that can be done about it at that point.

Ultimately, any given person may or may not have multiple accounts, but a vote without the intention of purchasing might as well be a vote from a multiple account anyway. I just really wish that there were a way to hold people more accountable for their votes, because I think it would make the derby more fair and more fun for everyone.

And on an unrelated note, I know I've said several times that I'd try new things, I want to state this as more of a long-term commitment instead of a one-week promise. I won't say that I'm going to abandon this style, because it's one that I like and one that I enjoy doing, but there's a time and a place for it and I'm starting to realize that (a bit late, I know, but at least the revelation has come). Up to this point, I just assumed that there was a vocal group who disliked the style and I was able to just ignore their concerns because they were generally voiced in extremely nasty and vicious posts, but it's becoming clear that it's overdone to the point that people who previously enjoyed the style are growing to despise it. I'm going to (at least try) to start doing my part to increasing the variety on woot in the derby. Hopefully. Just get on my case if I don't follow through (although I'm sure that won't be a problem)

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

ramyfail
less than votes
O_o

ramyb

peppersagooddog wrote:ramyfail
less than votes
O_o

Not quite, but really close :/ (It got 851 votes)

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict
peppersagooddog wrote:ramyfail
less than votes
O_o

ramyb wrote:Not quite, but really close :/ (It got 851 votes)

pepperfail
O_o

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Darksaber99999

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Darksaber99999
Deflit wrote:Far superior execution? It has every weakness this design has, (poor anatomy, bad lighting, anime eyes) yet doesn't use the halftones the people go goo goo eyed for or have a decent coloring. Stop trashing on an artist with weak arguements.

Good grief, all I meant was it's funny and I liked it; I do not care in the least about "poor anatomy" and I have a hard time believing you do either.

In any case if it has the exact same weaknesses but has the added benefit of actually being funny, well - that makes it superior.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
ramyb wrote: I know I've said several times that I'd try new things, I want to state this as more of a long-term commitment instead of a one-week promise. I won't say that I'm going to abandon this style, because it's one that I like and one that I enjoy doing, but there's a time and a place for it and I'm starting to realize that (a bit late, I know, but at least the revelation has come). Up to this point, I just assumed that there was a vocal group who disliked the style and I was able to just ignore their concerns because they were generally voiced in extremely nasty and vicious posts, but it's becoming clear that it's overdone to the point that people who previously enjoyed the style are growing to despise it. I'm going to (at least try) to start doing my part to increasing the variety on woot in the derby. Hopefully. Just get on my case if I don't follow through (although I'm sure that won't be a problem)

Ramy, I truly hope you will change it up(The Sea was beautiful and I was so happy to see it from you.). You obviously have talent for things other than just 'cute'. I hope we'll see them!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ramyb wrote:Ouch

Well, I wanted to make this comment last week, but didn't want it to seem insulting to the artists who printed, but since my shirt came pretty damn close to underselling its vote total this week, I think it's warranted and hopefully people will see that I really mean it, since it applies to my designs as well.

Woot had 6 weeks straight of sellouts, including two weeks of triple sellouts, as well as some daily sellouts, and so obviously there were a LOT of people actively purchasing shirts at a very high rate for a while, and so I think it's definitely the case that there are a decent number of people who are "purchased out," meaning that they are going to stop themselves from buying for a while. That, combined with derby themes that people didn't find particularly interesting, has led to two weeks in a row of lower sales on derby shirts, but without as strong of an impact on voting in the derby. There obviously have been several shirts that sold well recently, but not in the same way that there were just intensely high sales for a very long period of time, so clearly people have become more discriminating in the past couple of weeks.

I understand that people vote for a variety of reasons. The most obvious one is that they intend to purchase the shirt, but it's definitely true that people will also vote for a variety of other reasons (want to support a piece of quality artwork that they wouldn't wear, want to support an artist who has been screwed over in the past, want to support a new member, or just want to support a familiar name for whom they have gotten used to voting).

In addition (as Adder has been preaching for a long time now) there are definitely users who have multiple accounts that they use to sway voting, even if it's ever so slight. I didn't believe it at first, but I've been watching more and more closely and it's extremely easy to see sketchy things at times. I don't mean new pictures getting lots of votes in their first three hours, or pictures moving into our out of new hotness over time. I'm talking about multiple pictures getting 15 votes within a minute or two in the middle of the contest. A lot of people have noticed this happening in the mornings, but it's not just then because it happens at other times too, and quite often has an impact on the standing of the contest. And while some of these occurrences may be just coincidence, I feel that they can't all be dismissed. I have gotten a lot of comments on my entries about how sketchy it is that they made it into new hotness after 2 hours, but I've never seen such a comment anywhere else. This happens most often on the last day of the contest (here's one example that I observed recently- notice the time in the bottom right corner in each of the three screenshots- 123)- It also happens any time a picture falls out of the fog (has nobody else noticed pictures "fog battle," where two pictures suddenly get very high numbers of votes in a short period of time because they are in 4th and 5th and trading spots? I really just can't believe that twenty people would suddenly decide that they really want to purchase a shirt because it fell out of the fog when they didn't want to do so before).

And it's so easy to justify. If it's just one extra account, then maybe they are just replacing someone else that would have voted but didn't get around to it. Or maybe you just assume that, because other people have them, then it's unfair if their votes are less represented. Or maybe it's their way of trying to "fix" the derby, because they feel that shirts they don't like are winning. Whatever the reason may be, I believe that Adder is right in thinking that most users have more than one account, which they acquired at some point over their woot-purchasing lifetime. And those one or two extra votes per person add up, and even if they are distributed in a way that doesn't end up affecting the rankings in the contest ultimately, it falsely inflates vote totals, which leads to frustration when shirts don't sell well. Looking back at the sea derby, for example, there are plenty of shirts that got higher vote totals than the number that boots's shirt sold, but I doubt that many, if any, of them would have actually sold more, because it just wasn't a derby that was interesting to people. And in the case of this shirt, although it did end up outselling it's vote total (barely), I highly doubt that every person (or rather, every account), that voted actually purchased it. In fact, I'm sure that's the case for even the best of sellouts, because people take it upon themselves to try to fix woot, but because every person's definition of fixing is different, it just leads to frustration for all involved. Voting shouldn't be about choosing the lesser of two evils, it should be about choosing shirts that you want to buy. If you don't like a single shirt in the derby, there's nothing that can be done about it at that point.

Ultimately, any given person may or may not have multiple accounts, but a vote without the intention of purchasing might as well be a vote from a multiple account anyway. I just really wish that there were a way to hold people more accountable for their votes, because I think it would make the derby more fair and more fun for everyone.

And on an unrelated note, I know I've said several times that I'd try new things, I want to state this as more of a long-term commitment instead of a one-week promise. I won't say that I'm going to abandon this style, because it's one that I like and one that I enjoy doing, but there's a time and a place for it and I'm starting to realize that (a bit late, I know, but at least the revelation has come). Up to this point, I just assumed that there was a vocal group who disliked the style and I was able to just ignore their concerns because they were generally voiced in extremely nasty and vicious posts, but it's becoming clear that it's overdone to the point that people who previously enjoyed the style are growing to despise it. I'm going to (at least try) to start doing my part to increasing the variety on woot in the derby. Hopefully. Just get on my case if I don't follow through (although I'm sure that won't be a problem)

To paraphrase your post:

"Wow, I really sold badly.

This is embarrassing. Even my girlfriend's thing sold ok, and that was pretty bad. I guess I should probably say something.

OK, here it is. I have long argued against the multiple accounts I have, because I don't have them, really. I definitely don't, and no one I know does, and I certainly don't recruit fans to vote for me... you know how rabid those otaku fans can be, that'd be totally unfair. But other people must have them... yeah, that's the ticket! Other people created new accounts and voted my junk up!

I am not going to take responsibility for my lack of sales. It certainly can't stem from any illicit activity on my end, and DEFINITELY isn't due to having a mediocre shirt. More likely it is that people have simply "gotten tired" of buying. That's it. Overbuying and multiple accounts. This totally invalidates my girlfriend's snark at last week's winners selling so poorly, but it certainly spares me any blame! So after weeks of fighting these arguments, it is clear to me that the actual problem is that people are doing what I'm fighting against. Not me! Ohhhh, never me! And definitely not my widdle sekiweki... that part of her life is behind her, a whole two years ago. But others sure are!

Here's the best part, though. I'll now turn the whole thing around and make me the victim. People are voting AGAINST me! Woe is me, it's so horrible. It's as if people don't want me to win! And how could they not want that! I sold so well this week! Oh, right. I didn't. I'm just playing the victim like always. I win almost all the time with unattractive work, and now the one time I don't sell even marginally well, I break down and post a big tirade, and actually have the gall to point out how I was UNFAIRLY ROBBED OF A SPOT IN THE HOTNESS THIS ONE TIME! Nevermind that I actually placed second in this derby in question also, it's still UNFAIR! To make it even more clear how unfair it is, I originally was going to make this post after the LAST derby! The one where I was, again, unfairly kept from the winner's circle! I belong there! I am Ramy! I'm such a good guy! Please believe I am a victim! I want to be able to turn this around from a deserved lack of sales to a diatribe about how people are out to get me. Please allow me to!

Oh, and now I'm going to promise that I will step up my game. Not too much... I'm insisting that I will still go back to the desu nonsense. I like that, and it sells, so I'm clearly going to insist that it is going to stay in my repertoire. But I will do more somewhat artistic stuff. Most will be in an anime style, more than likely, but because it is flowy you will be confused and maybe like it. What I don't mention, of course, is that Seki will still do horrible work. She can't help it. And not only that, it will be the same sort of pandering I said I wouldn't do. Since we live together, her winning is me winning. So in reality this promise is meaningless... if I can't win artistically, Seki can still win pandering, and if I don't win often, I've got my "I still like desu" clause to go in and pull one out to make a quick grand. So really I haven't promised anything. Be sure to get on my case though, so I can ignore you as a jealous hater!

Thank you for letting me totally implicate everyone else but myself the day after I screwed the pooch saleswise."

I find it hilarious that everything is peaches and cream and totally fair until you just barely outsell your own vote total. But I find it sad that people can't see through you like the window you are.

ramyb

AdderXYU wrote:I find it hilarious that everything is peaches and cream and totally fair until you just barely outsell your own vote total. But I find it sad that people can't see through you like the window you are.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but my post was about how people shouldn't have voted for my shirt.

cabbit56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbit56

Just a thought, how about making another button that says something like "I like it" for people who like the design for whatever reason but wouldn't necessarily buy it?

There're times that I clicked on "I'd buy one" out of support for the design but don't want to wear it, and other times that I like the design but I didn't click the button because I wouldn't buy one. Sometimes when I like it enough I would leave a comment, but I wouldn't want to do that for every entry.

dabrownclown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabrownclown

its getting bad when you see a shirt and say that has to be a ramyb piece...

shes legit i have a number of her shirts and they are in my repeat wear cycle

i am developing a huge crush its kinda embarassing =)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
dabrownclown wrote:its getting bad when you see a shirt and say that has to be a ramyb piece...

shes legit i have a number of her shirts and they are in my repeat wear cycle

i am developing a huge crush its kinda embarassing =)

ramyb is a guy.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:ramyb is a guy.

ROFL I'm amused that this had to be pointed out.

pumpkinjesus06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pumpkinjesus06

POOR BABY!!!!!!!

-danyell

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
eHalcyon wrote:ramyb is a guy.

Haha, oh goodness. I'm not trying to be rude, but I actually laughed aloud. The whole dialogue is too good..I just keep imagining his face as he reads this reply..

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
marzipanapple wrote:Haha, oh goodness. I'm not trying to be rude, but I actually laughed aloud. The whole dialogue is too good..I just keep imagining his face as he reads this reply..

Would that be ^_^, XD, or =P ?

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:Would that be ^_^, XD, or =P ?

Nope, this one:

Moneyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Moneyon

Good and Creative. Thanks

wildwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildwolf

Will Woot ever do reprints of t-shirts of past woots? This one totally rocks, and I missed it!

havoklee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages havoklee

so far i ordered mine on the 15th of march and i still have not recieved the shirt, the tracking number provided also dosen't work. this is my first time here on woot and it is a rather poor first impression.

dragungurl86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragungurl86
havoklee wrote:so far i ordered mine on the 15th of march and i still have not recieved the shirt, the tracking number provided also dosen't work. this is my first time here on woot and it is a rather poor first impression.

same here

algotzgame

quality posts: 0 Private Messages algotzgame
havoklee wrote:so far i ordered mine on the 15th of march and i still have not recieved the shirt, the tracking number provided also dosen't work. this is my first time here on woot and it is a rather poor first impression.

I second the "same here". Anyone know what's going on?

Akkeresu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Akkeresu

Got this shirt from a Random Shirt day. Very cool!