lwoodnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
tgentry wrote:People, again, this shirt was in the fog when rejections hit and they haven't rejected anything since. It not being rejected has nothing to do with anything but the rule woot has not to reject when things are in the fog until they can discuss it on Monday and make a consensus decision.

Ok...

NOW they have made their position clear.

Monday Rejections are in, and Ramyb remains.

Thank you for your statement, Woot.

I encourage everyone to ignore the rules to whatever extent you feel is possible from this point onwards.

lwoodnj

tgentry wrote:People, again, this shirt was in the fog when rejections hit and they haven't rejected anything since. It not being rejected has nothing to do with anything but the rule woot has not to reject when things are in the fog until they can discuss it on Monday and make a consensus decision.

Ok...

NOW Woot has made their position clear.

Monday rejections are in and Ramyb remains.

Thank you for making your statement, Woot.

I now encourage everyone to break the rules as much as you deem possible in order to create a cliche, "catchy" shirt. I hope this ends up working out for you, Woot.

lwoodnj

Ok...

NOW Woot has made their position clear.

Monday rejections are in and Ramyb remains.

Thank you for making your statement, Woot.

I now encourage everyone to break the rules as much as you deem possible in order to create a cliche, "catchy" shirt. I hope this ends up working out for you, Woot.

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
tgentry wrote:I think more than the grunge element, the flowy flowers throw off the deco feel to me. That feels more art nouveau. Or is that typical of
"grunge"? I'm admittedly not familiar with grunge designs or whatever that entails.

Grunge is usually unorganized and a lot of texture. The stems of the flowers create a flow that is common in grunge peices. You already know what I think about your designs. I have been a fan for sometime now. Keep up the good work!

DirkDDarring wrote:Really like this one, I would wear tis.

Thanks for your support!

]

Anthony3419

Duplicate Post...Sorry

Anthony3419

tgentry wrote:I think more than the grunge element, the flowy flowers throw off the deco feel to me. That feels more art nouveau. Or is that typical of
"grunge"? I'm admittedly not familiar with grunge designs or whatever that entails.

Grunge is usually unorganized and a lot of texture. The stems of the flowers create a flow that is common in grunge peices. You already know what I think about your designs. I have been a fan for sometime now. Keep up the good work!

draculya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages draculya
Re: Grunge Deco

This is the only shirt I voted on in the entire derby.

I think its just that Art Deco isn't my flavor.

Anthony3419

Re: Art Deco Blimp

BTW, I like your design...I just voted for it.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
BaldBob007 wrote:Thanks! I did play around with several different colors before deciding on the blues, I knew I wanted the lemon shirt from the start, though.

Very nice design. I am really surprised that it doesn't have alot more votes.

Anthony3419

Re: Golf Deco

I like the colors and the design. You just need to spruce it up a bit. Maybe take a look at some of the top vote getters and see how they are laying out thier comps.

akumachan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
kylemittskus wrote:Because your design is in the fog and is probably going to get printed, giving you $1,000 more for not following the theme. This is not art deco. And whomever said above that art is what you make it or whatever, true, but when there is a specific theme to follow, you can't put a stick figure up and say, "Look! It's realism." This is not art deco. I appreciate the 8 hours of work but that doesn't mean it deserves to be printed. Wait until there's a machine derby or something like that. 8 hours of work and almost fits the theme ("but there are others who don't fit the theme at all") does not justify submitting it.

I have to agree with this.

And again, I will say that I love Ramy's designs. I buy them. So this is no personal dig at the artist. It's not bashing, and I certainly harbor no hatred or ill will towards ramy.
In fact I'm still waiting for my circus tiger shirt to arrive.
*dang it woot! where's my shirt??!! It's been over a week now!!**

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The fact of the matter is that ramy's current design, as neat as it is to look at, is simply NOT deco. I did not vote for this shirt because it is OFF TOPIC.

The fact that it has not been rejected for being off topic when there are other shirts that were rejected and were way closer to being deco than this shirt. Does not sit right with me at all. Did those other rejected shirts have a chance of being in the fog? Probably not. But it's the principle of the thing. Woot is showing a clear double standard for popular artists. That's not right. I know it's just a t-shirt site, but it's discouraging for the artists who are trying to get noticed and who are playing by the rules.

quite frankly, if having ramy's designs on sale every week is so good for woot's sale then they should simply put him on the payroll and have him roll out a new shirt for sale every week and leave the derby to others.

Ramy states that he thought it was deco. But honestly, if you look at any examples of deco, then you can tell that it's not. You don't need an art degree. But He's welcome to his interpretation.

The problem is not ramy. It's woot.
They post a topic for the derby. It's a difficult topic.
in the day leading up to the opening of this derby, SEVERAL people asked woot to weigh in with more exact guidelines about what would be rejected and what wouldn't.
No response from woot. I have noticed that they never respond to questions in their forum which is very poor service to the fans of the site and customers. I suppose they simply can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes to clarify something that people obviously care about and ultimately spend money on. This tells me, woot doesn't care.
The rejections have started. And so far they have been inconsistent. Personally I just want to see consistency in the rejections. If ramy's design gets to stay in then several other designs should have been allowed to stay in.

I have not been rejected for being off topic yet, but I can imagine that I would be mighty upset to spend the kinda time needed to create a design (as other artists know, these are not created in an hour) only to be rejected for not being Deco enough and then to watch ramy's design sail on through.

Anyway, it's about woot showing some integrity and consistency in the judging.
And in this case, they are really letting people down.

That being said, I didn't vote for this design. I don't particularly like it. It's way off topic. It does look like a shirt that I could pick up at Target, but I look forward to other designs from ramy.

yea, Im done.

striker138

Anthony3419 wrote:Duplicate Post...Sorry

There are several excellent designs this week not getting any votes. It is the same every week, but this week seems to be even more so.

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Jake1364 wrote:Great t-shirt design! If it wins in some shape or form now or later on i'd like to get one. kudos!

Assuming this doesn't become an honorable mention, I will be selling this when the 60-day waiting period is over. Keep an eye out for my tshirts going on sale soon.

lwoodnj

akumachan wrote:I have to agree with this.

And again, I will say that I love Ramy's designs. I buy them. So this is no personal dig at the artist. It's not bashing, and I certainly harbor no hatred or ill will towards ramy.
In fact I'm still waiting for my circus tiger shirt to arrive.
*dang it woot! where's my shirt??!! It's been over a week now!!**

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The fact of the matter is that ramy's current design, as neat as it is to look at, is simply NOT deco. I did not vote for this shirt because it is OFF TOPIC.

The fact that it has not been rejected for being off topic when there are other shirts that were rejected and were way closer to being deco than this shirt. Does not sit right with me at all. Did those other rejected shirts have a chance of being in the fog? Probably not. But it's the principle of the thing. Woot is showing a clear double standard for popular artists. That's not right. I know it's just a t-shirt site, but it's discouraging for the artists who are trying to get noticed and who are playing by the rules.

quite frankly, if having ramy's designs on sale every week is so good for woot's sale then they should simply put him on the payroll and have him roll out a new shirt for sale every week and leave the derby to others.

Ramy states that he thought it was deco. But honestly, if you look at any examples of deco, then you can tell that it's not. You don't need an art degree. But He's welcome to his interpretation.

The problem is not ramy. It's woot.
They post a topic for the derby. It's a difficult topic.
in the day leading up to the opening of this derby, SEVERAL people asked woot to weigh in with more exact guidelines about what would be rejected and what wouldn't.
No response from woot. I have noticed that they never respond to questions in their forum which is very poor service to the fans of the site and customers. I suppose they simply can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes to clarify something that people obviously care about and ultimately spend money on. This tells me, woot doesn't care.
The rejections have started. And so far they have been inconsistent. Personally I just want to see consistency in the rejections. If ramy's design gets to stay in then several other designs should have been allowed to stay in.

I have not been rejected for being off topic yet, but I can imagine that I would be mighty upset to spend the kinda time needed to create a design (as other artists know, these are not created in an hour) only to be rejected for not being Deco enough and then to watch ramy's design sail on through.

Anyway, it's about woot showing some integrity and consistency in the judging.
And in this case, they are really letting people down.

That being said, I didn't vote for this design. I don't particularly like it. It's way off topic. It does look like a shirt that I could pick up at Target, but I look forward to other designs from ramy.

yea, Im done.

Truth.

akumachan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
Re: Sunshine

i'm just posting to agree with everyone else. This design is spectacular.

I really wish it was in the fog.

great job!

lwoodnj

jumcdona wrote:Wow. That's almost identical.

It's not really "identical" by any means.
If you were going to draw a city reflected in water to look like Batman Symbol, you'd naturally have to make it look vaguely like that. His image is different in EVERY other way imaginable.

So I'm not really sure where you're going with that.

Of course, it doesn't matter; he's been rejected.

Too bad he's not Ramyb.

striker138

Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit

This design is definitely on theme imo. To do a shirt based on deco building styles in this way is very clever. Some of the ideas TGentry comes up with are so good. I just wish some of you weekly winners would slow down every once in a while, so us non talent amateurs could have a chance at the glory from time to time.

Anthony3419

draculya wrote:This is the only shirt I voted on in the entire derby.

I think its just that Art Deco isn't my flavor.

Thanks for the solo...

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
rglee129 wrote:Very, very well done. This design shows a great aesthetic sense. Boffo!

Thanks rglee! It's an honor. I've always been a big fan of your work. I'm rooting for your shirts at Uneetee and DBH.

gizagiza wrote:I really love this, but I wish it were on a shirt other than baby blue... in my opinion, that color is overused. Regarding the design itself, beautiful.

Sorry you don't like the shirt color. It really just didn't work on any other color.
But I'm glad you like the design!

lilymaiden wrote:I wish I could vote multiple times. This shirt is gorgeous. Normally I think arty shirts are pointless (I'd rather a good pun), but this one is just so beautiful, I have to retract.

I hope this wins. In any case, thanks for making such a pretty design.

Thank you so much for your support (and retraction!) I'm astonished at how well this one is doing. I'm just glad people enjoy it.

akumachan wrote:i'm just posting to agree with everyone else. This design is spectacular.

I really wish it was in the fog.

great job!

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all the votes and ...votes of confidence!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Anthony3419 wrote:Jadenkale, I am a fan. Nice layout. +1 from me

Drakxxx wrote:Nice one Jaden! Great composition!

Thanks guys! I'm glad it's getting some love.

Anthony3419

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: See, Hear, Speak!

I'm 51st with 51 votes... hmmm... lucky number???

infobyte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infobyte

Art deco is a really hard genre to define. I don't think the pages upon pages of descriptions backed up by the volumes of circa-1920s art works as examples are sufficient to get a real idea of what the whole art deco movement was about. Really, shouldn't anything with bold colors, geometric shapes, and sunrays be considered deco? Unless, of course, that whole France thing bears any significance...

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
Re: Art Deco Blimp

Way to Damn Cool to be this low for this Deco Derby Pole. What a shame, this design deserves a lot more credit. Good luck and keep it Real.

infobyte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infobyte

Art deco is a really hard genre to define. I don't think the pages upon pages of descriptions backed up by the volumes of circa-1920s art works as examples are sufficient to get a real idea of what the whole art deco movement was about. Really, shouldn't anything with bold colors, geometric shapes, and sunrays be considered deco? Unless, of course, that whole France thing bears any significance...

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: The Mechanical Penguin

What is Art Deco then? I looked it up on the Internet and came up with a lot of differences in the definition from one source to another? Did you know you are not supposed to refer to designs as Art Deco unless they originate from France? Well By One definition this is true. I looked at some of the rejected entries and gave my take on them and also found a common factor between them. You can read about it on the blog... It is far to long winded (IT IS LONG) to post here.

Cantarella

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cantarella
DirkDDarring wrote:I'm guessing that's a whiskey flask? Nice design but would like to see more detail. maybe a bigger placement of just the image.

]

Ah, here:

databit

Re: The Musician

What is Art Deco then? I looked it up on the Internet and came up with a lot of differences in the definition from one source to another? Did you know you are not supposed to refer to designs as Art Deco unless they originate from France? Well By One definition this is true. I looked at some of the rejected entries and gave my take on them and also found a common factor between them. You can read about it on the blog... It is far to long winded (IT IS LONG) to post here.

databit

Re: My Kicks

databit

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=29569]Textile Pattern

databit

Re: Bonnie and Clyde Deco Style

databit

Re: Girl and swirls

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
akumachan wrote:cosigned.

VERY frustrating.

still waiting for the woot judges to do the right thing.

Been waiting for that since early '08.

ecstaticjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ecstaticjoy
Re: Art Deco the Pennsylvania Way

I love the train but I wouldn't wear this because of the red background with the yellow border. I like the placement of the train, too. I prefer the shirts that are not perfectly centered, I think it looks better in person when the design is not in the middle of the chest.

kareokediva3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kareokediva3
Re: chance encounter

This is great! I think it's your thumbnail image, doesn't create any mystery/intrigue. I almost didn't even click on this one because it didn't 'grab' me. Glad I did though! Monopoly? CLASSIC! ^_^

cheddarthehamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheddarthehamster
Re: A Forbidden Love

ohh thats sooo cute

thekammerjammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thekammerjammer
Re: Life, Love, and Laughter

Is this already a shirt? where can I get one? If not, save this for another derby, I would buy it!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
akumachan wrote:The fact that it has not been rejected for being off topic when there are other shirts that were rejected and were way closer to being deco than this shirt. Does not sit right with me at all. Did those other rejected shirts have a chance of being in the fog? Probably not. But it's the principle of the thing. Woot is showing a clear double standard for popular artists. That's not right. I know it's just a t-shirt site, but it's discouraging for the artists who are trying to get noticed and who are playing by the rules.

Honestly, I think it's much less a double-standard, and much more the fact that I defended the relevance to the theme of my entry and others did not.

The main issue is that everyone has their own expectations when coming to look at a derby. Some people pay no attention to the theme at all, and just vote for designs that they like. Others look at the name of the theme, and then make decisions about whether or not entries are on topic just based on that. For me, when doing an entry, I pay less attention to the name of the theme and more attention to woot's writeup. While this may not always make sense, and it may not always be the case, sometimes woot's writeup leaves what I consider to be enough of an opening to take the theme in a different direction from what I expect others to do with it.

A good example is the Cabin Fever theme. Although the name of the theme was cabin fever, the writeup said "Use this week's Derby as an outlet for your claustrophobe tendencies." I took this to mean that any entry that bore relevance to claustrophobia would be considered on-theme. Some people criticized that the entry I did had nothing to do with cabin fever, but I believe it was still entirely on theme, even though it was not specifically cabin-fever related.

In the case of this derby, I wanted to take this theme as a design challenge and do something different from what I normally do. When woot confines the derby to a particular style, it becomes much more difficult for artists to show their personal flair, so different people take different approaches to this. Tgentry's entry for example, while on-theme and clearly related to art deco, contains elements that are clearly not art deco at all, making it unique relative to the rest of the derby. What I decided to do for my entry was take the part of the writeup that says "splash some stylized geometrical cool onto a t-shirt" as far as I could take it, extending and exaggerating the futuristic part. While this may have taken the entry a bit further from art deco than most people would have liked, I still included elements that I believe to be art deco inspired (such as the gears in the background), and the way I approached the coloring was in a way that can be seen in a lot of art deco pieces, with overlapping elements being affected in coloration by the ones below them. The combination of the elements with art deco inspiration, as well as the relevance to various parts of the woot writeup, make this entry on theme in my opinion. I entered it knowing that some people would not think it was on theme, but I preferred to do an entry like this rather than do one that I felt would be more similar to the others in the derby. The potential for rejection was obviously there, but I think that there is enough tying this entry to woot's writeup that it should be allowed to stay in the derby.

I fully respect anyone's decision not to vote because they believe that this theme should have been solely about art deco, and that I should not have taken this approach, but I also want you to recognize that, while I may not have done what you wanted to see with the theme, I most certainly did not default on anything that I'm used to and still took this theme seriously and tried to produce something of merit. As things look now, it is extremely unlikely that this will print anyway, and more than likely its downfall was due to the fact that too many people considered it to be off topic judging by the number of people who commented that they enjoyed the design but cannot vote in good conscience, but I stand by my entry and I don't think that it is worthy of rejection based on being off topic. It is not too late, though, and woot may still decide to reject it, but either way, I can't imagine this making it to print so I don't think that woot's decision will at all be related to the fact that this entry is in the fog.

Oh and as a sidenote, a few people suggested that woot is keeping this around because my other designs have made money for them, but I really doubt that's the case, especially since this is so different from my previous designs. There's really no reason for them to expect this to do any better than other pictures that would potentially win this derby.

smedgrick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
Re: Get on the Mike

Great art deco shirt. But I don't like the lightning bolt in the middle of the mike - too much lightning. I would have liked there to be the call letters instead, but no text this week.
Then again, there might be no such thing as too much lightning. If you replaced the microphone with a lightning bolt I'd probably buy it also.

akanata

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akanata
Re: Old City Cyborg

:O This is awesome! I will be so sad if it doesn't make it. If I could find a way to cheat and vote multiple times, I would. :D Love the top hat especially.