mewlink64


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mewlink64

While I do like this, the artist's page link is done gone broked itself.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
zozzles wrote: edit: let me put that another way. Do you support spraying poisons into our atmosphere? Just for artistic effect?



It's not really spraying poisons zozzles. It's just a picture of it.

I'm in for one. First shirt in a LONG time. I don't love the color of the shirt and I don't love the skull and cross bones. I think the skull and cross bones was bad editing. However, still, very very nice.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
conhopper wrote:This shirt encourages the use of inhalants.

I can't buy this for this one reason, sorry. I might seem like an ultraconservative loon thanks to this, but I prefer it when my shirt doesn't teach people how to get high off aerosol cans.



Honestly I feel the shirt says the opposite.

The toxic-marked aresol can says what it produces is dangerous and harmful, and the whole design says to me "spraying this will harm the environment (but look pretty)"

If the can was labeled with a smiley face, then I could properly infer that the can produced "happiness," but the toxic icon clearly describes the intention that the container should not be used.

There's my counter argument :P

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
zozzles wrote:That is irrelevant. Whether or not this is a drug-related image or not doesn't matter. The "person" who is holding the can is spraying SOME sort of toxic/poisonous material - or am I incorrect in claiming that I see a skull and crossbones on the can. Is it a a concept in good faith to be spraying poison of ANY sort in this manner?


edit: let me put that another way. Do you support spraying poisons into our atmosphere? Just for artistic effect?



conveniently this is not a moral quandary I need to think over at the moment, seeing as how this shirt doesn't emit CFCs, nor will it get you high. Sometimes art is just artistic.

sleepyjen


quality posts: 4 Private Messages sleepyjen

Wear this shirt: If you are 13 years old and aren't connected enough to buy shrooms or LSD. If your Mom stocks up on all the good air fresheners. If you want to brag that you've huffed the good stuff and lived to tell about it.

Teknikas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas

I must say that this design is pretty cool looking, but I'm not about to buy a shirt that seems to artistically represent "huffing" aerosol or whatever...I'd actually be embarrassed to wear this shirt anywhere as it could really give off the wrong impression. I'm anything but conservative and maybe reading too much into a silly design, but I'm just not down with this one.

Teknikas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas

I'm actually kinda surprised that shirt.woot printed this one...

radiomode


quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

Very nice; the color combo esp!

NonVenomous


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonVenomous

As an artist, I like this one. As an artist whose favorite color is green, I ADORE IT! Yay lime green! So I got one, mixed messages and all. After all - Art is open to interpretation.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
zozzles wrote:I agree that the map is not the territory, but when it suggests that the territory in this rather direct manner IS DIRECTLY related to the map. then it is an unethical map.

This image, no matter how "pretty" (and I'm of the Peter Max generation - I think that the image is pretty, but that obviously isn't my point) STILL connotes the use of poison.



I was just joking.

But, I am earnestly interested in how this shirt promotes huffing. I'm not disagreeing at all, and I can kind of see it. However, just curious about your (or anyone's) explanation. I just see a can that is poisonous becoming art. And even more, in kind of a meta way, it is actually becoming art on the shirt itself.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
AdderXYU wrote:conveniently this is not a moral quandary I need to think over at the moment, seeing as how this shirt doesn't emit CFCs, nor will it get you high. Sometimes art is just artistic.



Although I tend to agree with the whole ideal of the shirt and the artistry(iPhones not helping me here)woot doesn't need to make light a the situation by saying in jest that it's just a suguestion really.

Ojoya


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ojoya

I really like this one!! It's lovely!! Crazy thing is, I haven't liked a woot shirt in months and months! I thought it was over between me and shirt.woot... But I've loved (and purchased) the last THREE! Crazy!

Don't make me broke again, woot. I finally got over buying stupid electronic gadgets for no reason...

Well, at least a shirt a can WEAR.

mybell


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
lilymaiden wrote:My first impression on seeing this shirt: Wow, what a blatantly environmental message! Protect the ozone layer, down with CFCs!

I don't think anything with a symbol for death on it is a good advertisement for drug use -- wouldn't one want to hide the nastiest side effect?



I was thinking CFC's as well. The big reason deodorant went from a spray can to the stick and roll on type applicators, was due to the big up roar over CFC's and the ozone layer depletion.
I had completely forgotten about huffing.

sleepyjen


quality posts: 4 Private Messages sleepyjen
lilymaiden wrote:
I don't think anything with a symbol for death on it is a good advertisement for drug use -- wouldn't one want to hide the nastiest side effect?



It might not be condoning it, but it IS illustrating it. Huff toxins, feel a euphoric effect, possibly die... that about sums it up. Kids have been taught about it's dangers, but it is still the #4 most abused chemical among adolescents behind cigs, weed, & alcohol.

Chronic inhalant abuse may result in serious and sometimes irreversible damage to the user's heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, and brain. Brain damage may result in personality changes, diminished cognitive functioning, memory impairment, and slurred speech.

Death from inhalant abuse can occur after a single use or after prolonged use. Sudden sniffing death (SSD) may result within minutes of inhalant abuse from irregular heart rhythm leading to heart failure.


http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs07/708/index.htm

Tr0nn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tr0nn

There is absolutely no drug reference to this shirt. I've never huffed anything, but I know you don't spray a mist into the air. This says to me aerosol cans are poison for this world, but they sure are great to use.

Ivyness


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ivyness

Oh yes, the artists likey. Love the shirt color and the colors of the design. Plus the artist is from South America, so I have to support him.

Be the change...

captdeath


quality posts: 0 Private Messages captdeath

dead link for artist website on front page... it's worth taken the 3 seconds more to go see his art, pretty cool stuff.

fadifahem


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fadifahem

the link to his site is broken.

FutureFox


quality posts: 1 Private Messages FutureFox

Just go to:

http://lucasdealcantara.com/

I like the design for the most part, but the color and the skull and crossbones kinda put me off. The skull looks as if it were just tacked on at the last minute IMO. Personally, I think the design is quite funny. I find it amusing how people are arguing about whether this shirt has a negative influence or is suggestive of abuse. REALLY? I mean come on. Huffing inhalent is extremely stupid and dangerous. The skull on the container helps add to the comedic effect. You'd have to be pretty moronic or very ignorant to go see one of these shirts and then say, "Hey! I need to try that!" That's part of the humor of the design. The design also has the interesting aspect of how something so dangerous can be so beautiful.

I'm gonna have to sleep on this. (The fact that I have to do this though makes me think it's not worth it).

meh3884


quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884

hm, i've been ever looking for another great grass t, but this one just doesn't do it for me.

ps. they don't really put choloroflourocarbons in much anymore :P

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

hamwbone


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hamwbone

i would pay money to see patrick tribett wearing this shirt

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik




looks more like cotton candy coming out of a can to me.

mmm......cotton candy.....


I like the colors in this one. I wouldn't wear it, but it's pleasant to look at.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Tr0nn wrote:There is absolutely no drug reference to this shirt. I've never huffed anything, but I know you don't spray a mist into the air. This says to me aerosol cans are poison for this world, but they sure are great to use.



Let me spell it out. You spray a bunch of paint or whatever it is into a lunch bag, and then inhale it. If you aren't at summer camp, when you become coherent, you clean yourself up. I know this, and remember it vividly because I was a summer camp counselor that had a kid vanish one day. When we found him he had red paint all over his mouth and nose, and a lunch bag full of paint. He was as wasted as I've ever seen a person- and I went to college in the early 80s. He was NINE YEARS OLD. As far as I'm concerned, if there's even a hint of something as toxic and horrid as paint sniffing involved, then I don't want to see it on a freakin' woot shirt, especially one that could be bought for kids.

The only good thing about this was that he was at summer camp and got caught. We had to report it and he went home that day. he was a quiet kid, never seemed any trouble, didn't talk much...

You woot people need to focus more on what is actually cool, and less on the snarky sort of hip cool you think you're showing off. This is a clear miss.

tabrazinski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
NonVenomous wrote:As an artist, I like this one. As an artist whose favorite color is green, I ADORE IT! Yay lime green! So I got one, mixed messages and all. After all - Art is open to interpretation.



it says the shirt color is grass, and that's a pretty good description of the color. it's not really a lime.

i agree, art is open to interpretation, and when i saw this shirt, it didn't conjure up any feelings about huffing paint, or the environment... i was just appreciating it for its aesthetic appeal... because we all know that happens rarely around here.

waacodemon


quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon

Hooray global warming!!!

I once ate a cricket.

Infamousbread


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Infamousbread

Totally shouldn't sell this because impressionable people will be cutting off their hands.

Other than that - It's cute. I really like the style. And, yeah, it's Superjail-ish. Teehee.

palmettogirl


quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl

It is amusing that some of you who regularly preach about concept driven shirts are really overlooking this concept.

I guess you can add pretty swirlies to anything and get sheep to buy it.

ImprovedAwesome


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ImprovedAwesome

Most of you here are honestly sickening me with your comments. Most of you the moment you look at this are saying: "Oh it's hurting the environment." Or, "It is promoting huffing." But really the think the problem is the people who are looking at it.

If you want to be technical about it, then there are lots of things in daily life that you all should be whining about as well. There are so many shirt concepts out there that could easily 'promote' these nasty things you claim this shirt represents. If he was honestly going for the effect of huffing wouldn't he have put some kind of face behind it? And if it was trying to promote hurting the Earth wouldn't on the flip side he have put an Earth back there rotting? Most of you need to calm your hormones about this whole deal. As some have said Art is open to being seen as the viewer wishes to see it. If you want to put the nasty ideas in your head with the shirt than so be it. But don't try to get others to see the bad in something when there really is no reason to push that opinion on people.

Yes, it may sound like I'm pushing my opinion of it isn't bad on you. That isn't the case however. The case that I'm supporting here is that even if it's supposedly bad in your eyes there is no need to drag down art because your opinion isn't good of it.

I suppose if you want to look at it this way, why would Woot display a shirt which promoted such things that could in turn have them viewed as being a threat and bad influence to the people who visit the site? It's just moronic in that sense if you think about it. Woot here and yes, I'm about to stray into promoting the good side of this shirt. Has shown a rather artistic shirt here which when looked at has some very nice qualities. Besides all that, look down at their Wear this shirt for things, the first one they say to keep fumes "OUT" not to breath them in. Then to not let that catch them, underneath they say this shirt is not to be a filter for such things. It's all just for the sake of art here, and it's very saddening when so many people can't just drop the verbal knife against such an innocent thing.

Though, for the most part I don't think people are really gonna listen, because this is the internet. Not too many people listen to both sides of the argument.

(( In lite of that fact, let me examine the current argument against the shirt. ))

As for promoting huffing, yes I can see the general basis for which you are supporting that idea. And for those who have knowledge of huffing, or that of drugs may make a connection. But if they have knowledge of or have tried such things, wouldn't it not be promoting but reminding these already corrupted people?

Then onto the fact about the environment which I know a few people are still wondering about with this shirt. Yes this shirt 'may' as you are saying be supporting the fact that spraying harmful chemicals into the air is okay. At the same time to that coin, can one easily take that 'Rainbow' colored gas to be something serious? Yes, it's a valid quick point to make of the shirt, but upon closer inspection you notice it's silliness is really something that overrides this message.

iamjessica


quality posts: 4 Private Messages iamjessica

I so don't get this wave of shirts ... they're not to my liking but more power to the people who do like 'em.

I poop while I Woot.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ImprovedAwesome wrote:Most of you here are honestly sickening me with your comments. Most of you the moment you look at this are saying: "Oh it's hurting the environment." Or, "It is promoting huffing." But really the think the problem is the people who are looking at it.

If you want to be technical about it, then there are lots of things in daily life that you all should be whining about as well. There are so many shirt concepts out there that could easily 'promote' these nasty things you claim this shirt represents. If he was honestly going for the effect of huffing wouldn't he have put some kind of face behind it? And if it was trying to promote hurting the Earth wouldn't on the flip side he have put an Earth back there rotting? Most of you need to calm your hormones about this whole deal. As some have said Art is open to being seen as the viewer wishes to see it. If you want to put the nasty ideas in your head with the shirt than so be it. But don't try to get others to see the bad in something when there really is no reason to push that opinion on people.

Yes, it may sound like I'm pushing my opinion of it isn't bad on you. That isn't the case however. The case that I'm supporting here is that even if it's supposedly bad in your eyes there is no need to drag down art because your opinion isn't good of it.

I suppose if you want to look at it this way, why would Woot display a shirt which promoted such things that could in turn have them viewed as being a threat and bad influence to the people who visit the site? It's just moronic in that sense if you think about it. Woot here and yes, I'm about to stray into promoting the good side of this shirt. Has shown a rather artistic shirt here which when looked at has some very nice qualities. Besides all that, look down at their Wear this shirt for things, the first one they say to keep fumes "OUT" not to breath them in. Then to not let that catch them, underneath they say this shirt is not to be a filter for such things. It's all just for the sake of art here, and it's very saddening when so many people can't just drop the verbal knife against such an innocent thing.

Though, for the most part I don't think people are really gonna listen, because this is the internet. Not too many people listen to both sides of the argument.

(( In lite of that fact, let me examine the current argument against the shirt. ))

As for promoting huffing, yes I can see the general basis for which you are supporting that idea. And for those who have knowledge of huffing, or that of drugs may make a connection. But if they have knowledge of or have tried such things, wouldn't it not be promoting but reminding these already corrupted people?

Then onto the fact about the environment which I know a few people are still wondering about with this shirt. Yes this shirt 'may' as you are saying be supporting the fact that spraying harmful chemicals into the air is okay. At the same time to that coin, can one easily take that 'Rainbow' colored gas to be something serious? Yes, it's a valid quick point to make of the shirt, but upon closer inspection you notice it's silliness is really something that overrides this message.



Are you high?
-It's just that you don't really seem coherent.

dngrsdan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dngrsdan

I like the design, its well done all in all. However, I'm inclined to agree that it promotes huffing. The universal poison symbol, and the psychedelic imagery are hardly original ways of expressing the connection. Even if its not the artists intent, it still conveys huffing in a positive light for those who might be impressionable or inclined to illuminate the mind. Not to be judgemental, just my take on it. Good luck.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner

...I think it's cool.

Are those gradients or really small halftones?


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

riddlemd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddlemd

Where were all of you activists when the bomber dropping bombs shirt showed up? I don't want my kids dropping bombs!... *grumbles something about getting off his lawn.*

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
hamwbone wrote:i would pay money to see patrick tribett wearing this shirt






"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

jewelwing


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

I like this shirt enough to comment on it. Which means I like it a lot because I hardly ever have anything to say. So, yeah, great design.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Infamousbread wrote:Totally shouldn't sell this because impressionable people will be cutting off their hands.



straight up laughed out loud.

blitzed310


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blitzed310

Cool for a St. Patty's day shirt!

OrangeBug


quality posts: 4 Private Messages OrangeBug

About the only reason I'd consider this shirt would be as an example of Huffing Art and that this style of substance abuse maintains significance. I know a few psychiatrists who are dumbfounded that such inhalant use is a significant problem.

I'm just glad that we don't have leaded gasoline anymore. Tetraethyl lead killed the hippocampus and destroyed memory and ability to learn. Other solvents create their problems via lack of oxygen and transient intoxication from the chemical. The delirium can be pleasurable. The aftermath can be tragic.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
homeschoolwinner wrote:



I don't want to know what he was doing to be covered in gold dust.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
riddlemd wrote:Where were all of you activists when the bomber dropping bombs shirt showed up? I don't want my kids dropping bombs!... *grumbles something about getting off his lawn.*



funny thing about that. Our government typically doesn't let 9 yr olds get their hands on bombers OR bombs. huh.
Parents unfortunately can let them get their hands on paint cans. you can't watch 'em all the time. The problem here is that this is insidious. Most BDUMFs (mothers and fathers) don't 'get' the message, so the kids can wear this kind of stuff with impunity. It kind of reminds me of the parents who you occasionally see on TV "oh, my son was not in a gang. The police are just flat out wrong." because they have no clue about all the gang sign the kid's body had all over it, the tattoos and colors, when the police found it.

All of you who think this is OK are probably old enough to be past the age of the kids at risk for this stuff, but aren't parents, because you don't seem to grasp the impressionability of them. All these little winks at encouragements for this kind of experimentation is what leads to naive addictions in 9 year olds.