homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
JadenKale wrote:I don't want to know what he was doing to be covered in gold dust.



Arts and crafts, duuuuuh! He was scrapbooking. With his face.


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

amisueloo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amisueloo

I think anyone who thinks this shirt is offensive should go sniff some paint.

It's art people, this isn't kindergarten... if this shirt prompts people to huff spray paint then maybe those people need to go huff spray paint...

survival of the fittest.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Josephus wrote:funny thing about that. Our government typically doesn't let 9 yr olds get their hands on bombers OR bombs. huh.
Parents unfortunately can let them get their hands on paint cans. you can't watch 'em all the time. The problem here is that this is insidious. Most BDUMFs (mothers and fathers) don't 'get' the message, so the kids can wear this kind of stuff with impunity. It kind of reminds me of the parents who you occasionally see on TV "oh, my son was not in a gang. The police are just flat out wrong." because they have no clue about all the gang sign the kid's body had all over it, the tattoos and colors, when the police found it.

All of you who think this is OK are probably old enough to be past the age of the kids at risk for this stuff, but aren't parents, because you don't seem to grasp the impressionability of them. All these little winks at encouragements for this kind of experimentation is what leads to naive addictions in 9 year olds.



you are missing a very important piece of the puzzle:

NO WHERE ON THIS SHIRT IS THERE ANY INDICATION THAT SOMEONE SHOULD DO WHAT IS FEATURED

What you are basically saying is that, if you bought a shirt with a samurai on it, children would think it was awesome to kill someone with a sword, because that's what samurais do. It could be a peaceful samurai even.

Children learn what they are taught, and don't get what they aren't taught. Case in point: there was a George Michael song on MTV in '92, when I wasn't even 10. The video started with a voice, seemingly run through an old TV or phone, asking "would you like me to seduce you," and followed with a woman on screen removing the chest piece from her blouse, exposing a hefty amount of her "Tree ants". My sister and I both laughed in that way kids laugh at taboo things, but also both heard the question as "would you like me to INTRODUCE you?" Also worth noting: my father smoked. I do not and will not. Because I grew up hating the smell, and because no one made it off to be something to be proud of doing. Your mileage may vary... I also cuss like a sailor despite never being taught to (and have actually brought it out of my mother, which is kind of hilarious)... but for the most part, the more you trust your kid, and the more honest you are with them, and the more secure their home life is (or appears to be to them) the less stupid things they will get into.

Again, if your child is stupid enough to huff fumes, it will do it more readily after seeing a glade commercial than after seeing this shirt. Glade smells good, after all. Seriously, I'd say over half of everything parents worry about kids being influenced by stems from one simple place: parents who are foolish enough to see offense in the innocent, and therefore raise their kids to be uber-sheltered and offended by the innocent. This is art. It is facing up because it would look wrong in any other placement. Woot wrote the shirt title and the write-up, meaning that the design itself doesn't necessarily carry any sort of connotation UNLESS YOU ARE STUNTED ENOUGH TO LOOK FOR IT. Seriously, step away from the computer and go do your daily pot-search before your 6 year old gets back from kindergarten. That GI Joe base (which is wholesome and american and surely doesn't promote gun-lust and war) has about 10 compartments that a little green could fit into, as does your daughter's Barbie Malibu Condo (again, a toy which is totally wholesome and doesn't have any undertones of unhealthy self-image or suggestions that even women who want to be in empowering professions still need fashion and shopping and a cute boyfriend).

rownage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rownage

Love the whole symbolism of something good coming out of something bad...if that's the intent.

The colors and design are interesting and nice on the eyes, and the simple Monty Python-esque hand at the bottom keeps your attention up at the paint where it should be.

These people who are ripping on this shirt for thinking it is promoting huffing are obviously not the right crowd for this SITE, let alone this shirt. Great work!

linkszelda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkszelda

i would totally buy this. i'm constantly using these deadly toxins, and it makes me see wonderful colors if i don't do it in the right place. fun stuff.

consolecowboy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages consolecowboy

Just curious how many straight guys will actually wear this... mostly due to the combination of all the colors, including that of the shirt itself.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
consolecowboy wrote:Just curious how many straight guys will actually wear this... mostly due to the combination of all the colors, including that of the shirt itself.



...are straight guys afraid of color? I wasn't aware of this. I better go alert my BF


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

ewaldjw


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewaldjw
WonderWooter wrote:so, does wearing this shirt count as wearing drug paraphernalia??

*News Alert* "Wooters everywhere get arrested for wearing a shirt that promotes drug use. Woot promises that everyone arrested will receive a FREE bag o'poop as a consolation gift"



Update: All wooters that didn't buy the shirt the first time around buy shirt to get the carp

13 - Woots
1 - Accessories.woot
1 - Tech.woot
2 - Home.woots
3 - Sport.woots
26 - Shirt.woots
3 - Sellout.woots

indihar


quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar

Having read through all the posts up to now, I find it interesting that (apparently) very few people have seen the same thing I saw/see in this shirt...

Apart from my first impression (WOW!...PETER MAX!...I loved Peter Max when I was in grade school!......I thought, gee, I like the idea...

You know - that, just because something is beautiful, means that it must be good!

Message: The prettiest, most attractive things, sometimes have the most deadly roots...

[Which is why...if I had kids...I'd give them about 2 days, before they threw this shirt away...every time they wore it, I wouldn't be able to keep from refraining, "Remember..." ]

Stupid parents - always screwing up anything GOOD...by making it somehow relevant...LOL

;-D

Dman27


quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

you have to be nuts if you think it promotes inhaling i dont see a nose anywhere on this tee

got one because its just a sick design, props to the designer

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

himani0118


quality posts: 2 Private Messages himani0118
Josephus wrote:
All of you who think this is OK are probably old enough to be past the age of the kids at risk for this stuff, but aren't parents, because you don't seem to grasp the impressionability of them. All these little winks at encouragements for this kind of experimentation is what leads to naive addictions in 9 year olds.



Where are the parents of these 9 year olds? I wasn't aware that woot is supposed to take responsibility for these 9 year olds with parents that don't pay them any attention. When it comes down to it, it's no one's fault that a kid is a PTERODACTYLS! up but the parents'. My siblings and I grew up in a creamy and delicious neighborhood with drug users, convicts and the like. None of us have ever used drugs, done anything illegal (aside from jay walking). We all went to college and graduated, did a lot of community service in our youth, and we are now living on our own and financially stable (except my brother, who is still in High School and hasn't reached that point yet).
My point is, it's not what kids observe that influences them alone. It's the responsibility of the parent to set their kid straight in right from wrong. If you're so self absorbed that you can't tell that your kid is up to some stupid shenanigans, maybe you shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

With that said, I love this shirt, but I've exceeded my self imposed woot shirt budget. And my dresser is getting kinda stuffed. I have one drawer with mostly woot shirts. I think that borders addiction...


Edit: Those filters make the above post way too hilarious.... haha! Creamy and Delicious, indeed!

MOAR PURPLE SHIRTS!!!

colgate31


quality posts: 2 Private Messages colgate31

trippy! 'grass' woot tee? i think we know whats going on here... i like the design, but a little too active for my style.

nemo728


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nemo728
consolecowboy wrote:Just curious how many straight guys will actually wear this... mostly due to the combination of all the colors, including that of the shirt itself.



great design. i'm in for one.

and i'm straight. its not a rainbow, in fact, the shirt is predominantly rastafarian since blue is the only extra color there. that said, i'm having trouble seeing why straight guys wouldn't wear this.

woots: 27 / 3 bandoliers of carrots!
shirt woots: 45
first woot on 2007.07.24

iGGz


quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz
consolecowboy wrote:Just curious how many straight guys will actually wear this... mostly due to the combination of all the colors, including that of the shirt itself.



i think cowboys are naturally homophobes because they are actual attracted to men- they have to look at each others asses in those wranglers all day. it's okay consolecowboy- you can come out of the closet- we don't care!

i think this shirt is awesome

_____________________________________________

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
homeschoolwinner wrote:Arts and crafts, duuuuuh! He was scrapbooking. With his face.



He could have his own show on TV: "Put Your Pictures Where Your Mouth Is: Scrapbooking for Bigmouths"

yeawuteva


quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva
ImprovedAwesome wrote:Most of you here are honestly sickening me with your comments. Most of you the moment you look at this are saying: "Oh it's hurting the environment." Or, "It is promoting huffing." But really the think the problem is the people who are looking at it.

If you want to be technical about it, then there are lots of things in daily life that you all should be whining about as well. There are so many shirt concepts out there that could easily 'promote' these nasty things you claim this shirt represents. If he was honestly going for the effect of huffing wouldn't he have put some kind of face behind it? And if it was trying to promote hurting the Earth wouldn't on the flip side he have put an Earth back there rotting? Most of you need to calm your hormones about this whole deal. As some have said Art is open to being seen as the viewer wishes to see it. If you want to put the nasty ideas in your head with the shirt than so be it. But don't try to get others to see the bad in something when there really is no reason to push that opinion on people.

Yes, it may sound like I'm pushing my opinion of it isn't bad on you. That isn't the case however. The case that I'm supporting here is that even if it's supposedly bad in your eyes there is no need to drag down art because your opinion isn't good of it.

I suppose if you want to look at it this way, why would Woot display a shirt which promoted such things that could in turn have them viewed as being a threat and bad influence to the people who visit the site? It's just moronic in that sense if you think about it. Woot here and yes, I'm about to stray into promoting the good side of this shirt. Has shown a rather artistic shirt here which when looked at has some very nice qualities. Besides all that, look down at their Wear this shirt for things, the first one they say to keep fumes "OUT" not to breath them in. Then to not let that catch them, underneath they say this shirt is not to be a filter for such things. It's all just for the sake of art here, and it's very saddening when so many people can't just drop the verbal knife against such an innocent thing.

Though, for the most part I don't think people are really gonna listen, because this is the internet. Not too many people listen to both sides of the argument.

(( In lite of that fact, let me examine the current argument against the shirt. ))

As for promoting huffing, yes I can see the general basis for which you are supporting that idea. And for those who have knowledge of huffing, or that of drugs may make a connection. But if they have knowledge of or have tried such things, wouldn't it not be promoting but reminding these already corrupted people?

Then onto the fact about the environment which I know a few people are still wondering about with this shirt. Yes this shirt 'may' as you are saying be supporting the fact that spraying harmful chemicals into the air is okay. At the same time to that coin, can one easily take that 'Rainbow' colored gas to be something serious? Yes, it's a valid quick point to make of the shirt, but upon closer inspection you notice it's silliness is really something that overrides this message.



who has time to write all this jibber jabber???

jmnolan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmnolan

Really? Since when is everyone here uptight about designs having hidden meanings? And really, you can make up whatever hidden diabolical meaning about any image you see. I didn't see this type of discussion of people condoning the promotion of zombies, vampires or pirates when those images were used. It's a nice design, i voted for it, bought it, get over it.

himani0118


quality posts: 2 Private Messages himani0118
yeawuteva wrote:who has time to write all this jibber jabber???




!


You made me spit out my meatloaf!
It was good too...

MOAR PURPLE SHIRTS!!!

AtopMtOlympus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AtopMtOlympus

Parabems Lucas! Olha a controversia que voce criou! ;-) A camisa eh lindo e espero ver outros desenhos teus no futuro.

yeawuteva


quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva
himani0118 wrote:!


You made me spit out my meatloaf!
It was good too...




heyyyyyy you should had the burgers


mhb1323


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhb1323

I dont have kids, and I hope my shirts convince your kids to huff... i guess.... do street art, and listen to Black Sabbath. Because when I was a kid, my number one source of information was T-shirts on older dudes....

get over yourselves people, its a shirt. And CFC's are kinda cool, they'll kill us, not the earth.

nihil


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nihil

"::cough cough:: Oh...don't mind the smoke...it's perfectly safe to breathe. Really"

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
jmnolan wrote:Really? Since when is everyone here uptight about designs having hidden meanings? And really, you can make up whatever hidden diabolical meaning about any image you see. I didn't see this type of discussion of people condoning the promotion of zombies, vampires or pirates when those images were used. It's a nice design, i voted for it, bought it, get over it.



No, they usually save this kind of talk for when it's a rooster in a Native American headdress.

deadlyblonde


quality posts: 6 Private Messages deadlyblonde

Is it horrible that the moment I saw this shirt, I started giggling and eying my little collection of sharpies?

In for one.

phobic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phobic

whats with all the awful shirts lately? seriously, so bad.

[Phobic]

machinaprecis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages machinaprecis
waacodemon wrote:Hooray global warming!!!



Just to be clear, there's nothing in spray paint cans that contributes to global warming. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) (which I think were once used as a propellant in spray cans) have been implicated in ozone layer depletion, but this has nothing to do with global warming.

Also, this use of CFCs has been banned in much of the world including the US and western Europe.

Good looking shirt, but too faux-urban for me. I'll just eat the food when I wanna co-opt minority culture.



mindyk1212


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindyk1212

Cool design, with an interesting message. Although not quite right for me. But still a very snazzy design.

Check out World of Dice- All things dice featuring a unique collection of dice jewelry.
And Gifts and Blessings- Buy gifts for one and provide blessings for many.

katfin25


quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
machinaprecis wrote:Just to be clear, there's nothing in spray paint cans that contributes to global warming. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) (which I think were once used as a propellant in spray cans) have been implicated in ozone layer depletion, but this has nothing to do with global warming.

Also, this use of CFCs has been banned in much of the world including the US and western Europe.



Yeah... CFC's used to be used as propellants in all things that sprayed, including hair spray.. so all you people from the 80's who made your awesomely big hair, thats where you got your CFCs. Starting in 87 they took CFCs (including Freon used as refrigerant) out of use because they are bad for environment! So.. the only thing that is legally allowed to use CFC's in most of the world now is asthma medication. If you use an inhaler chances are it uses HFA as the propellant but some do use CFC's as the propellant. But seriously - spray paint isn't an issue with the environment ... this shirt is not a statement about the environment... Woot! just gave it a fun name!!

Also, when I first looked at this shirt I definately did not think huffing, I just thought graffiti art ... but maybe thats because I went to college in the ghetto? Whatever graffiti art is pretty impressive!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

nemrel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nemrel

I think this part says it all:
"If You Can See The Fumes, Take A Break".

I like the shirt myself. It has multiple meanings to me - which is what art really is. It's all up to the interpretation of the person who is viewing the image in question. The artist can have a specific intent behind his work of art, but it's the interpretations of others that often overshadow the artists message.

Many of the old school (or non-digital) artists out there can relate to working on a piece of art - be it oil paint, airbrush, developing b&w photos or good old spray can graffiti - and all of a sudden looking up in the air after a few hours into the work and being in a whole other different realm. Colors become more vivid. Time seems to tick a bit slower. The music on the stereo sounds strange, haunting and ethereal. Is it the fumes? Is it the hyper-focusing? Is it the art? Maybe it's the creative process just pushing us into a sort-of trance-like state - like Shaman's beating a drum, Native Americans sitting in a sweat lodge for a couple hours or Aborigines looking into the hot coals of a fire.

If this shirt says to you: "Death to Mother Earth" or "Huffing is WIN" then maybe you need to get creatively high in order to find the parts of your TRUE Self that seems to be longing for release.

Woot Shirts Purchased:

decafalan


quality posts: 3 Private Messages decafalan

I believe it would look better without the hand, just a floating can. "It's floating man!"

katfin25


quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
jmnolan wrote: It's a nice design, i voted for it, bought it, get over it.



wait... how did you vote for this? Its a daily

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

filpenny


quality posts: 9 Private Messages filpenny

This 'debate' is so stupid. My GF is in for one. Nice shirt!

Xenora


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora

What's with woot! and the controversial shirts these days? :P

Yeah, I get creative highs, but I never visualize them comming out of chemicals. Just dreams and crazy minds.
Oh, and electronuca music. Especially instumentals.

Now that's where highs should come from!

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
ImprovedAwesome wrote:Most of you here are honestly sickening me with your comments. Most of you the moment you look at this are saying: "Oh it's hurting the environment." Or, "It is promoting huffing." But really the think the problem is the people who are looking at it.

If you want to be technical about it, then there are lots of things in daily life that you all should be whining about as well. There are so many shirt concepts out there that could easily 'promote' these nasty things you claim this shirt represents. If he was honestly going for the effect of huffing wouldn't he have put some kind of face behind it? And if it was trying to promote hurting the Earth wouldn't on the flip side he have put an Earth back there rotting? Most of you need to calm your hormones about this whole deal. As some have said Art is open to being seen as the viewer wishes to see it. If you want to put the nasty ideas in your head with the shirt than so be it. But don't try to get others to see the bad in something when there really is no reason to push that opinion on people.

Yes, it may sound like I'm pushing my opinion of it isn't bad on you. That isn't the case however. The case that I'm supporting here is that even if it's supposedly bad in your eyes there is no need to drag down art because your opinion isn't good of it.

I suppose if you want to look at it this way, why would Woot display a shirt which promoted such things that could in turn have them viewed as being a threat and bad influence to the people who visit the site? It's just moronic in that sense if you think about it. Woot here and yes, I'm about to stray into promoting the good side of this shirt. Has shown a rather artistic shirt here which when looked at has some very nice qualities. Besides all that, look down at their Wear this shirt for things, the first one they say to keep fumes "OUT" not to breath them in. Then to not let that catch them, underneath they say this shirt is not to be a filter for such things. It's all just for the sake of art here, and it's very saddening when so many people can't just drop the verbal knife against such an innocent thing.

Though, for the most part I don't think people are really gonna listen, because this is the internet. Not too many people listen to both sides of the argument.

(( In lite of that fact, let me examine the current argument against the shirt. ))

As for promoting huffing, yes I can see the general basis for which you are supporting that idea. And for those who have knowledge of huffing, or that of drugs may make a connection. But if they have knowledge of or have tried such things, wouldn't it not be promoting but reminding these already corrupted people?

Then onto the fact about the environment which I know a few people are still wondering about with this shirt. Yes this shirt 'may' as you are saying be supporting the fact that spraying harmful chemicals into the air is okay. At the same time to that coin, can one easily take that 'Rainbow' colored gas to be something serious? Yes, it's a valid quick point to make of the shirt, but upon closer inspection you notice it's silliness is really something that overrides this message.



was there no more room on your personal blog for this?

Xenora


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora

Here, let me end this debate once and for all....

All those with more "conservative" minds thinking that the shirt promotes huffing (I myself fall into this catergory) or with "Green party" modes of thought thining it promotes CFCs, don't get mad... just don't buy the shirt! The after all, aren't we all forgetting the law of the Reckoning?

All of the others who think that this shirt promotes artistic expression or what not, you have nothing to stop yourselves from buying this design. Be my guest.

All of this arguing back and forth accomplishes nothing; everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

The matter that will settle all of this is, I reiterate, the day of Reckoning. Then we will see if the design is a stinker or not.

No pun intended.

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Xenora wrote:Here, let me end this debate once and for all....



Funny thing... you can't end the debate once and for all. People will continue to have conflicting opinions, despite what information you supply them.

IISRune


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IISRune

Dont be so ignorant as to read too much into it. Its art. Lets just try and be appreciative of it.

waacodemon


quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
JadenKale wrote:Funny thing... you can't end the debate once and for all. People will continue to have conflicting opinions, despite what information you supply them.



hey now, you cant just go around tellin people when to stop a debate, who do you think you are, why i outta...

/continue mindless debate

I once ate a cricket.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
waacodemon wrote:hey now, you cant just go around tellin people when to stop a debate, who do you think you are, why i outta...

/continue mindless debate



HEY!!!! Don't look at me!!! I wasn't trying to end it!!! XP