Selgeron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Selgeron
re: part machine

be proud of your constructed origins! Show your gears on the outside!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Excellent, Travis! You took something classic and familiar, but made it completely your own!

rocks2359

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rocks2359
Re: this is great gmv hope it winsSynthetic Beauty

pokchoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pokchoi

Whenever I think of wind up toys, I picture the key being in the back. Plus I haven't seen many designs meant for the back of shirts yet. Otherwise, I like the idea.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
Re: Of the Moment

Gorgeous

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
pokchoi wrote:Whenever I think of wind up toys, I picture the key being in the back. Plus I haven't seen many designs meant for the back of shirts yet. Otherwise, I like the idea.

That was my exact idea origianlly. To have to wind-up key on the back like a to. I will put up a Back placement entry in a little bit. Thanks for the comment.

bandit8463

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandit8463

This is adorable and I'm ignoring every other guppy-tastic comment here. People can dislike it, but they take this stuff too seriously. It's just a damn t-shirt after all.

Also, I don't think the dog should be changed to a robot or anything else, that would change the whole idea, and would then not be clever. A robot playing with a robot dog is a laem idea.

TurboGraphx16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Re: Gamepunk

This is the only shirt currently in the fog that I'd buy ... nice job.

wombatus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wombatus
Josephus wrote:Steam is dirty. There's grease, and coal, and it is generally less than pristine. and sometimes, your steam chamber blows up, ruining your wombat dirigible. Labrambat was lucky to survive the crash, frankly, let alone the trip back across enemy lines.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for this one since the wombat is my favorite animal!

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: I. Steam Punk. (back placement)

This is the same as a previous entry, except with the placement moved to the back of the shirt. Yes... I went there.

Deflit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deflit
Re: Synthetic Beauty

this blows the dog/robot entry out of the water! very nice i'd buy this.

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
isparabola wrote:I think the reason yellow/gold was chosen was to make it stand out a bit more. A darker color would blend in too much with the rest of the shirt.

Exactly right. Also, the original gameboy was a light gray color with darker gray accents, so I was trying to pay homage to that a bit, too. Glad you like it!

srb122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srb122
benjaminleebates wrote:data bit, you are too funny! you always double post... It's like your motis operundi.
Thanks for all the props people!

Major props for originality! Good Luck!

databit

Re: steamless by the stroke of midnight

Nice work... Thumbnail looked like some kind of tin soldier, was surprised when I saw what it actually was.

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
chade2001 wrote:hah! don't give up dude! i mean you draw pretty well, and your stuff has been consistently good. maybe it's just a matter of time before that lucky hand points at you. i wish i can give you an advice, but i'm not much of an artist. hopefully some of the highly regarded artist here, like boots or drakxxxx or somebody, drops by and impart some artistically sagacious advice on what to do. if not, curse them all! curse them all to the fiery pits of some fiery ocean!!!

Ha. Boots has been quite a doll to me actually. :-) Though I still don't seem to be able to concept something that'll swing.

databit

Re: I. Steam Punk. (back placement)

Awesome. I like back of shirt entries when they are appropriate, and this one definitely fits the bill.

GMV

Caldagar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Caldagar
Re: The Girl in Red

This design is awesome! Love it!

databit

Awesome work!

Very nice piece.

GMV

databit

Re: Steam Shuttle

Trivia: What is the exhaust that comes out of the shuttle? Steam! or at least a good portion of it. Hydrogen and oxygen are major components of the fuel and combine during take off to form water.

databit

Re: Pucker's Steam Powered Dirigible!

No, I dont think anyone else is doing lip shaped air ships...

Steamy lips!

ShirtFight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShirtFight

Hah, a steampunk Cinderella! How original! You did a great job with the shading and lighting on this one, just jumps right off of the shirt!

ShirtFight

Re: Phineas the Aeronaut

Astolpho! Hey man!

Super cute, and I love that you did this with a muted, limited palette of colors. Nicely done my friend!

andrewg2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
xscout wrote:I can't seem to get it below 8 colors. Do black and white count towards the 6 total?

And why do I see entries that include colors not in the specifications? Are the colors for Illustrator different than those for Photoshop?

White and black really do count, anything that has to be applied on the shirt with ink counts as a color.

For your other question, the colors specified in the submission guidelines are only for the background color- the color of the t-shirt itself. For the ink colors, they can match pretty much any color, but the real pros (not me) match the color themselves with pantone colors. Search for a color chart you can use on the Net.

One more suggestion, check out the top ranked shirts and see how they incorporate their design into the background to really show off the details of their work. I don't think a shirt has won in a long time- if ever - that only showed the shirt with the design on it.

Just suggestions, take them with a grain of salt because the best I have done is 14th place.

Good luck.

ShirtFight

Re: Steam Shuttle

Neat idea! Steampunkonauts!

ShirtFight

Re: Steam Goliath

Oh wow kris this is an amazing illy. An astounding level of detail!

ShirtFight

Re: Let's Play

Nice use of halftones and a great illy!

AGrant311

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311

Seki, this is amazing. I'm in agreement that this is one of your best designs here at Woot I've seen. It looks like you stepped out of your comfort zone a bit; the results for doing that here look like they will pay off. With how the Red Riding images do "pop" up in pop culture (Angela Carter's literature, Anne Sexton poetry, movies like "The Howling," etc.) this is really neat take. To sum it all up, "Wow."

ShirtFight

Re: Combustible Prey

April this is beautiful, a super clever idea and well drawn. I love the detail in the lion's mane

krouth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
Stuntdummy wrote:But idz'a puppy wuppy! And uh wobot! Wobot+puppy wuppy=foggy woggy.

Rabyb's voting base may be a mile long, but it's only an inch deep.

Perfect comment! He's laughing all the way to the bank...

krouth

Re: The Aviator

LOVE IT!!!

ShirtFight

Re: Best Worn With Goggles

Dang Jamie, this looks like it must have taken forever! Nice going I love it!

ShirtFight

Re: Push my buttons

I think it's a great concept, and I like that you didn't make the lines super clean, gave it even more of that handmade steampunk look.

gizagiza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza

That is BADASS.

krouth

braveBebe wrote:Come on blow off some steam, punks!
This looks way better than any other entry in this derby.

Are you on crack?!? There are a LOT of other designs in this derby that are better than this...

ElevenEleven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElevenEleven
Re: The Punk Within - White

Alright, so here we go...the robot is removing the streamlined, clean outer shell to reveal his true gritty self. Feel free to parlay that into man's plight to resist conforming to society's standards for beauty...or whatever. Hope that helps

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

The thumbnail made me think it was Doc Oct.

NatureMer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NatureMer
elwayman02 wrote:Can anyone say "glow ink"?

Oh...my....gosh.....I hadn't even thought of that! What a fantastic idea! I don't think this design has a remote shot at winning the derby amongst all of the other great pieces this week, but if it did, I think replacing the yellow with glow ink would be just the thing!

Great call, and thanks for the support guys!

humboof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humboof

cool i love it! this is very artistic and perfectly colored. i like your art style. hope it wins! +1 vote

Fujiko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fujiko
Stormink wrote:Wow. Exactly like a shirt you already made. Can woot please reject for copying their own art?

I appear to be in the minority here, but this design doesn't remind me of Grim Optimism. I didn't think of the similarity until it was mentioned in this thread.

Is it laid out similarly? Yes. (It is from the same artist, after all.)

Is the feel the same? Not to me.

I found Grim Optimism quite depressing, actually. This shirt is adorable. I see a robot who is going to play, not Death.