jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Very cool use of space, and looks like getting trapped in the details wasn't too bad - they are great details!

Vote!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Beauty and the Beast

I really like the idea, and the detailing is great. I worry that some of that would be lost on the t-shirt. It's almost too busy...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

jasneko

Aw... sad. Well done though.

chade2001 wrote:hah! i just saw your robot one. went to the zoo once just to take a look at the panda. when i got there, they told me to beat it because the pandas were taking a nap! what a rip off. never been back to the zoo ever since.

Pandas need naps too! It would stink being woken up everytime a visitor came by...

Vote!

pulseshadows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pulseshadows

I had fun coming up with a design for this derby. This is my first derby entry ever and I'm pretty happy with it. I absolutely adore steampunk so I knew that I had to make something for it!

whisperatdaybreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whisperatdaybreak
Re: We Held the Moon

I love this

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Calling John Henry!

Robbie this is kick-ass!

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
JadenKale wrote:Um K... you can't do that, regardless if it was rejected or not, woot has the rights to the design for 60 days. You've been around here long enough to know that.

Once its rejected it was my understanding that it is free and clear since it is no longer eligible to win or be used. Woot essentially decided that they don't want to sell it and won't sell it. I'll gladly pull it if Joel or anyone can show me in writing from woot that rejected shirts still adhere to the 60 day time frame. I'm not trying to pull a stunt, I'm just trying to strike while the iron is hot on a shirt that woot will never print or make money on themselves.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
theinfinityloop wrote:Robbie this is kick-ass!

Thanks guys. It's cool to be getting kind words from some of the woot designers I e"steam" the most.

Srzly, I'm thrilled the way it turned out and am glad y'all agree. This is the first design I've done since the robot/roomba one where I keep going to back to it and smiling to myself.

Enough tooting my own whistle. There are some great designs this week so I ain't going to hold my locomotive-breath.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

Awesome! GMV!

It seriously reminds me of this:

But in a good way. That is Optimus Prime from the Hearts of Steel Transformers Comic.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

gokou135

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gokou135
Re: The Aviator

This shirt is AMAZING!!! I love it!!! If it gets rejected for some stupid "no flying penguins" rule I swear I am never coming back to this site again!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Steampunk Birdsong

The inside of any bird can be broken down into cells, neural circuits, and chemicals. But maybe the cardinal, with his morning whistle song, is really just a mechanical device?

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
JadenKale wrote:Um K... you can't do that, regardless if it was rejected or not, woot has the rights to the design for 60 days. You've been around here long enough to know that.

Ok, there seems to be a bit of a gray area here. According to the agreement upon submission "6. Term of Agreement. (a) This Agreement terminates 60 days from the submission of the Artwork if during that 60-day period Woot disclaims any interest in using the Artwork or does not inform Artist of its intent to use the Artwork. "

So, does a rejection constitute Woot disclaiming interest? I am going to have to email Joel about this and put my shirt sale at cafepress.com/A2Ts on hold until I hear back from him (providing it happens in a reasonable time period).

twistedtap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twistedtap

very cool. love this drawing.

NatureMer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NatureMer
re: gamepunk

Can't pull it off? Say what? Not cool at all. This is a fantastic idea and design, and I agree about a lack of consistency.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Otter of My Eye

Cute!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Very cool!

LTU99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
kdubbs29 wrote:Ok, there seems to be a bit of a gray area here. According to the agreement upon submission "6. Term of Agreement. (a) This Agreement terminates 60 days from the submission of the Artwork if during that 60-day period Woot disclaims any interest in using the Artwork or does not inform Artist of its intent to use the Artwork. "

So, does a rejection constitute Woot disclaiming interest? I am going to have to email Joel about this and put my shirt sale at cafepress.com/A2Ts on hold until I hear back from him (providing it happens in a reasonable time period).

I think you need to re-read it....it means that the agreement terminates 60 days from submission if they either tell you they aren't printing it, or simply don't say anything....you have to wait 60 days regardless. That said, I think "rejected" shirts should be handled differently & immediately released, but I don't think woot currently sees it that way (maybe something about rejected shirts should be added to their "agreement").

eaglebeagle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eaglebeagle

asfgghj. i dont have a vote button

jasneko

And there it is! Looks great.

Vote!

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: the steam punk (re-sub)

Just saw this one- nice work! Great looking creature, looks better w/out cartoonish girl (but she would look good with a similarly drawn counterpart).

sunnysfunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny

I like it, but I'm not very fond of the background.

Teknikas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas
Re: Heart Broken

Cool! GMV

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
databit wrote:

Looks quite a bit different. Body shape is different, background is different, the tail is in a different position...

It looks like it was used as a guide, but not traced.

What tail?

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
Re: Steam Power Cell

Almost voted. Thought the design would be bigger on shirt. That's just a personal preference. I like the art itself.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

mitchellp wrote:What tail?

The first version had a tail, I took it out to make it less Mickey like.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
schof wrote:Orders of magnitude better than your other entry which is IMHO utter garbage.

(Trying to understand how that is a "humble opinion"...)

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink

Very nice use of subtle color, but I'm not so fond of the texture on the ground and how it cuts off so abruptly. But definitely submit somewhere else if it doesn't place.

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
BootsBoots wrote:The art is awesome. It's true about it being hard to quickly tell what's going on and find a fast focus (you're stuck in illustrator-mode aren't you!). I think if you could solve that problem, you'd be golden. The complexity of your art with a really simple focal point would be great.

Edit: this is already great as an illustration, I'm blown away by your style.

Yeah I'm totally stuck in illustrator mode.

I'm gonna need to make a better effort next round to break that lock.

I had a second simpler idea. I may submit that tomorrow or Monday. Though I'm hesitant to bother with a late submission.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cobolisdead wrote:Awesome! GMV!

It seriously reminds me of this:

But in a good way. That is Optimus Prime from the Hearts of Steel Transformers Comic.

I actually prefer Rglees, he made great use of the wheels, putting them on the side of the arms. I can't even tell if the Optimus even has the wheels on him. Really hope this gets a chance somewhere.

erei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erei
Re: Feathered Heart

My second design. I haven't resubmitted the boxless version of my steampunk girl.

Mmm. I was kind of iffy about the white text, but I felt that it still needed something in the background. Hope you guys like it!

me2you

quality posts: 1 Private Messages me2you
braveBebe wrote:I'm not looking for the shirts that are the most artistc, ones that fit the theme most, or ones that have Jakie Chan in them. I'm simply choosing the ones that I would want to wear.

Well said!
Some people have guff with this design, but it's very wearable and many people like it. =)

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

Wow, thank you for all the positive feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed the design, I really love drawing things like this, but I don't like doing it for tshirt designs because you are limited to 6 colors and therefore limited in what you can do with the picture.

Now on the touchy subject of steampunk/not steampunk - I think the lineart was much more steampunky than the finished version, see here: http://i42.tinypic.com/2410042.jpg The wolf was supposed to be part metal, part organic, and powered by like a furnace type thing- hence the red light coming out from the cracks of the metal and the smokestacks. Unfortunately, it came out a little too organic and so I can see why it would look like armor instead of looking like it's part machine. Red, on the other hand, I think is completely steampunk, minus the hood - I wasn't sure about the hood, but I liked the way that it looked with the ragged edges, so I did it like that, and I didn't think it was NOT steampunk particularly. Anyway, I understand if you choose not to vote because of it, but I believe that in art style derbies, there can be many interpretations of the style.

Regardless, thanks for the support on the design.

dolphin76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphin76
Re: The Aviator

This is an incredible design. I'm glad to see a Cho design and would love The Aviator to be my first Cho shirt!

w: 10 w.w: 15 s.w: 60 so.w: 3 k.w: 7

me2you

quality posts: 1 Private Messages me2you
Re: Synthetic Beauty

Beautiful!!
Congrats on two in the fog =)

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: Rustic

weewoo

Akkeresu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Akkeresu
Re: Deus Ex Machina

Schaweet! Great design, and I think the messy style looks amazing!

j2534a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j2534a
Re: Best Worn With Goggles

i love this shirt. I hope it wins, but if it does not, I still want the shirt, so make it on your own bootsboots!

Astolpho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Astolpho
Akkeresu wrote:Schaweet! Great design, and I think the messy style looks amazing!

Thanks, man. I busted ass putting this thing together and seeing how few votes it's gotten in the first few hours has just about crushed me, so it's nice to hear that anyone likes it.

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
Re: Let's Play

For anyone who doubt's this entry, which I love by the way, don't you think woot has thoroughly looked and pondered at this as being "steampunk". From past experience, I find that woot is pretty strict on their entries. I don't think they would let someone win $1,000 for being off-topic.

j2534a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j2534a
Re: Steamworks Operatica

Drakxxx, i love you. i do. i bought nightmare Christmas, but this is not one of your best works.