rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk

Steampunk'd a la Ashton Kutcher.

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
felloffthebus wrote:Wow, I thought this was drakxxx's. This is my favorite design by sekiyoku, but it isn't steampunk. A very nice attempt, and it's very appealing.

Wow what an insult. Drak only creates amazing work. Not guppy.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

BecaC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BecaC

I love the inspiration for this shirt. GMV.

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii

Oi! Mosh good! I LOVE THIS GMV

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
jamescho84 wrote:schpanks for the concern. Rule was lifted, and after almost thirty prints, i know the halftones n lines are in good size to be printed, thanks!

no worries says the penguin, ONWARD TO THE SKY GO THEE!!!!!!!

Ah, your opening comment made me think you were trying to get rejected. I see that is not the case.

twistedtap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twistedtap
greydruid wrote:Aww, that's a shame. I knew it'd probably be rejected due to copyrights, but it being a ripoff just makes me sad.

i didn't realize i was ripping this off. i honestly found this picture and drew over it. i did use it for inspiration but guess i didn't change it enough.

masterxuln

quality posts: 1 Private Messages masterxuln

Indeed, you do suck at art.

But I still think you are oversimplifying it a bit. The gears need to go somewhere and the smoke needs to come from someplace. Otherwise it fits the theme, apparently.

Woot gets to decide what fits and what doesn't. It is their derby after all.

In my opinion, strict adherence to the true Steampunk style would greatly limit the design possibilities. And then it would not be much of a contest, either. Well maybe an art contest, but that is not the point of this site.

Asjure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Asjure
Re: Steampunk Dragon

For my second ever entry, I wanted to try doing a steampunk dragon with a twist, so I did it Eastern style. This took a stupidly huge amount of time to do (probably twenty hours) so I really hope you guys like this. I really, really need to work on drawing faster. x_x

View detail here: Click.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Let's Play

damnit ramy, i mite be on your side but i still dont understand why the woot community is bent on voting for artists...

i understand why ur doin this but i implore you, make a new account and try selling shirts on it. Prove. Me. Wrong.

and whoever is voting on this... care about the theme, because shirt.woot apparently doesnt.

gesangbaer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gesangbaer

It's always nice to see elitists rear their ugly heads and pigeon-hole a style into some specific definition that only leaves room for their narrow ideas.

Considering the era the red riding hood story comes from, I think this image is definitely steam punk.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
Spikam wrote:I think this design would look much better on a black shirt instead of a red

Likely so, but without the red, the joke would be lost.

(What joke? Well, Fe is the chemical symbol for iron.)

Love it, Spyder!

databit

I do like it and let me be the first to say GMV.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Steamworks Operatica

Drakxxx, your designs are the first ones I look for every derby. I voted for this, will vote for the resub, and will buy if it prints.

ViciousSandpiper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper

Haha! Good stuff.

I feel like a lot of designers who weren't really familiar with steampunk before the topic was announced didn't really take time do their research before designing, wanting to get something in as soon as the derby opened. Gears and steam probably just sprang easily into the design.

Anyway, GMV

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

I think what is missing is that the thumbnail actually focuses on the steampunk part of the design, therefore giving some sort of implication people were voting for something steampunk. It would have been far superior to just have your thumbnail show a random other image on the shirt so they could vote for it without realizing how on theme it was.

databit

Re: Steampunk Kitty

Hilarious expression

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: The Idea

I like the idea of steampunk being an open to interpretation thing. I mean, we could say "it has to have this, this and this" but that would limit designs so much.

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink

Just disgusting. Woot is a site that so blatantly doesn't care about the artist or artwork and runs purely for the money. They don't give a shhit if good art gets rejected for miniscule reasons and the same unoriginal off-topic guppy gets printed by Ramyb and Sekiyoku every week. Its really disgusting.

The whole idea of a one day contest just shows that they don't care to produce quality products. Most every design they print is drastically unresolved because the way they set up their contest demands it.

I guess the only thing that I'm glad about this rejection is that hopefully it makes other people see what, I felt, has been blatantly obvious for so long.

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
2thFairy wrote:I second that. Well said, well said.

Third.

friendo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages friendo

Yeah, stealing intellectual property is way more awesome when you're stealing from independent artists.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
2thFairy wrote:Not a shirt color they offer??? what the freeking freek?????????????

WTBH?

fofmock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock

I like it! its interesting, and makes me want to just follow everything around and see what is making what move. Hope this gets a surge into the fog soon! (PS I'm really excited to be getting your Dali shirt from Cameesa soon! :P )

Jfreak623

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jfreak623
Re: Of the Moment

this looks amazing! Awesome job and good luck!

simplymiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simplymiller
Re: Of the Moment

Love this design! The color looks more red to me, and I'd certainly prefer that to orange.

DiamondFace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DiamondFace

It's a cool design, but it is not steampunk. I didn't even know what the smokestacks were until I read the comments. It just looks like stylized hair.

I can't picture Woot not rejecting this. The whole point of the derby is to make art that explores a theme, and this one really fails to adhere to that theme. Bottom line for me, if I saw it on a shirt, I would think Medieval-fantasy-adventure, not steampunk.

I love sekiyoku's stuff, and this too is great artwork, but it absolutely does not follow the theme. And there are so many really creative submissions that work within the constraints of steampunk this week that I think it would be a shame if this one ended up being printed.

heartluce

mllemeranii wrote:I've been thinking of moving on from woot shirts (to put more attention into other shirt sites) for a long time now. This pretty much takes the cake. Woot, rejectionator, whoever, you seriously omgwin!. The fact that you reject this, for something as minute (come on, it was obviously asphalt) as this, when at least 2 shirts currently in the fog right now aren't even on theme says that you have no respect whatsoever for the artists, and care solely about money.

Drak, I hope you get this printed elsewhere, because I was definitely going to shell out 10$ (15$ if it sold out before I could get to it) next weekend. Let us know where we can find this!

Amen to your entire post. I would say more but I'm a bit too angry to.

branmak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages branmak
friendo wrote:Yeah, stealing intellectual property is way more awesome when you're stealing from independent artists.

huh??? That's a bit far-fetched. I've never seen this before...

SavedChristian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian

Not a shirt color we offer? Asphalt? Since when does Woot not offer asphalt?

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
SavedChristian wrote:Not a shirt color we offer? Asphalt? Since when does Woot not offer asphalt?

It was a bad rejection...that's such an awesome design.

elsnerma

quality posts: 3 Private Messages elsnerma

The design is great, but I can't see myself buying it because it doesn't really fit this derby, as others have said.

heartluce

Stormink wrote:Third.

Fourth.

DiamondFace

CaptainHistory wrote:I'd like to note that I do like the design and you have my vote.

Nice to see something actually steampunk near the top. Hope this makes it into the fog.

DiamondFace

Re: Style Cogs

This one's great! I like the color choice.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
bluchez wrote:I think what is missing is that the thumbnail actually focuses on the steampunk part of the design, therefore giving some sort of implication people were voting for something steampunk. It would have been far superior to just have your thumbnail show a random other image on the shirt so they could vote for it without realizing how on theme it was.

With the cumulative gravity of the ironies of adder's submission and those in bluchez's comment, I almost feel like this entry could collapse upon itself and create a rip in space-time.

If this entry gets hit by the rejectionator, all bets are off: an instant black hole of irony will be created, from which no off-theme entries can escape.

(I should be on drugs. At least that would explain why I'm making so little sense.)

anatwork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anatwork
Re: Cloudmaker

Great line art and detailing. The dragon looks wicked steampunk! GMV.

IndependentVik

Re: Combustible Prey

Bummed that this got knocked out of the fog. I have nothing against the ramy/seki duo personally, but man is it ever difficult for some of the best work here to get printed when they're both entering a derby, sometimes with multiple entries. Right now, they're three out of four entries in the fog

Back on topic, loopy, really feeling this design. Great execution of a rather clever idea. When I first noticed that the coal in the lion's belly was aflame, I got hit w/ teh lulz.

IndependentVik

Worst. Rejection. Ever.

Hope you get a resub up soon, Drakxxx.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

I'd like it better with the more subdued colors...on the t-shirt comp, it looks very bright orange?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ViciousSandpiper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper
Re: the steam punk (re-sub)

Love the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea feel. This is one of the few designs this week that actually feels steampunk. I hope it moves up this week!