peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: The Aviator





this is the first moment i have LOOKED at the derby since the thursday i looked and saw that the theme was snuggling trees.
for every reason you drew it, for how it came out and... well you know me enough to know that
this
makes
my heart
sing.
you have my votes sir.

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: Combustible Prey




such a tragedy that guppy rules at woot too often. if this does not print i would gladly give it "support" elsewhere when the time is up.

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
drainhts wrote:The template he used was one Woot linked to as an approved template at the time he started contributing to the site, as I'm understanding it. That they changed their minds on this and decided this was the best possible way of informing him as such is hardly the fault of the creator.



Guess woot's too busy counting their money to give a damn.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
wizard7926 wrote:Seki, it's a cool design and all, really -- but it's not steampunk. Great design, neat "interpretation" and all, but.. you get the idea. It just doesn't fit the theme.

We're looking at the exact same thing that happened with Ramy's design in the Art Deco Derby a few contests ago. This isn't taking nearly the flak that Ramy's design took, but I have a feeling that the comments will come. Sorry in advance for that backlash, Seki, because it's really a quality design that just doesn't quite fit the theme for the week, IMO.



Haha, well it is getting a lot of guppy so you're wrong on one account. ;) I still feel like it falls under the theme, I wouldn't have submitted it if it I didn't think so. (though it's fairly pointless to defend it past what I did, people will hate what they hate and like what they like) I don't really think people need to be vicious, if woot thinks it's off topic, they will reject it. As it is, woot has not rejected a single entry for being off topic, and so they could A) have a much broader view of steampunk than some people would like, B) not want to have draw the line of what exactly makes a picture steampunk and what does not or C) not actually know what steampunk is. Whatever the case, it's their contest, and they choose what they believe to be off topic. Even if I disagree with what they do, they are the power here, and I know that I can leave if I find so much issue with the way they run things. As everyone can. ;)

HeartlineTwist wrote:
That said, it DOES look like a zoid, which isn't a good thing.



I like you. At least when you post something I know that you are having your own opinion, and therefore it has some meaning. Although I don't know what you are talking about with zoids. I hadn't heard of them before, but I googled them and they look awesome. They are like transformers, but cuter, or something.

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
ste7enl wrote:As an illustration, I agree. As a shirt design, it would be too much, in my opinion.



oooh, interesting. you might be right. maybe that's where i'm going wrong!

gone!

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
Re: The Girl in Red





ok i will concede to give credit where credit is due.
this is not as terrible and careless as the majority of your shirt designs at this site are.
thats the best i can do, sorry.
i can appretiate that you took the time to create a design for a change, but its very sad that you had to spend SO much time designing it that you had none left to research what steampunk meant. i get your side of the arguement, really i do, but what you dont realize... is the rest of us see through it and know you didnt "get" it, but pretend you do anyway. thats cool. fake it till you make it will work for you till you are like 30, so keep on keepin on with what you do i guess.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
lexaverial wrote:This is actually a quality design with artistic integrity.



That's not the issue Twist brought up. There shouldn't be different standards for a design just because it has "artistic integrity".

I like the design too, but in terms of on-topic-ness, I think it falls in the same category as ramy's and seki's pseudo-steampunk designs.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
eHalcyon wrote:That's not the issue Twist brought up. There shouldn't be different standards for a design just because it has "artistic integrity".

I like the design too, but in terms of on-topic-ness, I think it falls in the same category as ramy's and seki's pseudo-steampunk designs.



I think Lex was just trying to explain why less people seem upset about it. Sometimes people are willing to overlook things because of artistic quality. Not saying it's right, but I think his point stands.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drainhts wrote:The template he used was one Woot linked to as an approved template at the time he started contributing to the site, as I'm understanding it. That they changed their minds on this and decided this was the best possible way of informing him as such is hardly the fault of the creator.



The template used here is NOT an "officially approved template". The only official template is the same cartoon drawing you see on the main shirt.woot page. "Real tee" templates, such as the one Drakxxx used here, are NOT official, although they are acceptable as long as the colour is represented correctly. This shirt template in particular is out of date; Cho's "wrinkly" shirt template is a much better representation.

I don't think the swatch was ever as light as the colour used in the background of this comp. If it was, it was in an extremely outdated version of the official template; when the new one was posted it was announced and everything. I'm pretty sure this happened before Drakxxx started submitting, unless I just never noticed his submissions until his Clockwork Orange entry.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
koronae wrote:I think Lex was just trying to explain why less people seem upset about it. Sometimes people are willing to overlook things because of artistic quality. Not saying it's right, but I think his point stands.



True enough, I suppose. But a cynical side of me thinks that ramyb and sekiyoku get a lot of guff simply because of their history. They've been a controversial pair since they started submitting here, and while a great deal of their designs certainly deserve some criticism, I can't help but think they get an unfair amount of hate due to their continued and consistent success with those same questionable entries.

But I guess that's going off topic now. Jewel, you said in your first post on your design that you don't know much about steampunk. You should really do some research (I believe just Wikipedia would be enough) as it's a very interesting field. I think you could have come up with an even more amazing design if you had figured out what Steampunk is all about.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
eHalcyon wrote:True enough, I suppose. But a cynical side of me thinks that ramyb and sekiyoku get a lot of guff simply because of their history. They've been a controversial pair since they started submitting here, and while a great deal of their designs certainly deserve some criticism, I can't help but think they get an unfair amount of hate due to their continued and consistent success with those same questionable entries.



Since this is going offtopic, I'll keep it short and sweet. There is this saying about making beds and laying in them.

(Also Jewel, this design really is very pretty.)

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Garfie84 wrote:id buy it except for the color of the shirt. the black sketch with a black penguin and a black shirt kinda bleeds together and makes it harder to see the fine details.

its kinda hard to see but its a really awesome sketch though.



This is in response to you and the others about the sketch. Ah yes, the detail will get lost somewhat, but it would've on white or a lighter color too. That is a sketch because it's a sketch, you dont just transfer the sketch as is, you have to use a couple of techniques to get it so woot can print it. Like no value shading, and very fine details. Using halftones in place of gradients, and thicker lines in place of the really fine ones.

The loss of detail also comes from making the design a negative. Meaning, since it's on black - you're only drawing the negatives, letting the black shirt show through where you've "colored in" on white.

So why black eh? Well, as much as you may not like black, there are 10 more people who don't like white, gotta find a compromise at some point yano?

Thank you EHalcyon for the 580x580 comment. Didn't know that. **cough**cough** didn't know woot was getting so frugal with the bandwidth **cough** So if the comp looks blurry it is that reason.

Well dope, thanks for the comments so far, your support, and all that other snuggle bear Gigli (2003), i'd give you hugs n stuff but you know..

chipz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipz
Re: Soul Mechanism (resub)



I am in love with this print

Teknikas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas
Re: Darwinism



This is pretty cool mang! GMV

iaremoron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iaremoron
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk



Why doesn't the gear have a pressure gauge? With all that smoke i'd be worried the gear might need one.

That, or a set of goggles with a valve on it.

SmijinGT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SmijinGT
Re: The Girl in Red



Wow...That is just wow...So cool

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
jamescho84 wrote:This is in response to you and the others about the sketch. Ah yes, the detail will get lost somewhat, but it would've on white or a lighter color too. That is a sketch because it's a sketch, you dont just transfer the sketch as is, you have to use a couple of techniques to get it so woot can print it. Like no value shading, and very fine details. Using halftones in place of gradients, and thicker lines in place of the really fine ones.

The loss of detail also comes from making the design a negative. Meaning, since it's on black - you're only drawing the negatives, letting the black shirt show through where you've "colored in" on white.

So why black eh? Well, as much as you may not like black, there are 10 more people who don't like white, gotta find a compromise at some point yano?

Thank you EHalcyon for the 580x580 comment. Didn't know that. **cough**cough** didn't know woot was getting so frugal with the bandwidth **cough** So if the comp looks blurry it is that reason.

Well dope, thanks for the comments so far, your support, and all that other snuggle bear Gigli (2003), i'd give you hugs n stuff but you know..



damn, Cho! It's good to have you around here

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
sekiyoku wrote:Haha, well it is getting a lot of guppy so you're wrong on one account. ;) I still feel like it falls under the theme, I wouldn't have submitted it if it I didn't think so. (though it's fairly pointless to defend it past what I did, people will hate what they hate and like what they like) I don't really think people need to be vicious, if woot thinks it's off topic, they will reject it. As it is, woot has not rejected a single entry for being off topic, and so they could A) have a much broader view of steampunk than some people would like, B) not want to have draw the line of what exactly makes a picture steampunk and what does not or C) not actually know what steampunk is. Whatever the case, it's their contest, and they choose what they believe to be off topic. Even if I disagree with what they do, they are the power here, and I know that I can leave if I find so much issue with the way they run things. As everyone can. ;)


I like you. At least when you post something I know that you are having your own opinion, and therefore it has some meaning. Although I don't know what you are talking about with zoids. I hadn't heard of them before, but I googled them and they look awesome. They are like transformers, but cuter, or something.



Let's face it, you wouldn't have submitted it if you didn't think you'd get in the fog--OH WAIT. Like many times before you're falling borderline on the theme and rushing to defend it when people call you out. Despite the flow of the design, I don't see much worth anything in this submission personally. It is not steampunk. Period. A) It is quite obvious IF you did understand it "more than some people think" then you obviously would have submitted something to prove it. Steampunk is a pretty clear cut genre of style, people can look it up if they're uncertain, this is the internet afterall. B) woot shouldn't have to lay out every finer point and detail as to what encompasses a particular genre for people to make an effort in adhering to it. There is a big difference between retrofuturistic and steampunk, but it's apparent very few people get that, you included. C) bananas.

There is such little hope in you and Ramy packing up your trash and leaving, despite all the hope a large number of us may have, so don't try to shake your finger and tut-tut at the folks calling you out, reiterating the rules that you so gleefully skirt the edges of, because it's quite apparent to everyone that not only are you full of it with your "almost meets this weeks critera," but that you know you can do just barely enough to get away with it. Boy oh boy, I wonder what would happen if I started to submit borderline, redundant garbage that may or may not contain a semblance of blatantly pre-conceived icons (and then proceed to feign ignorance). People would rip into me too, so don't think for one second that you and your boyfriend Ramy are somehow miraculously exempt from criticism. People aren't jumping all over your case for no good reason.

Looks like you need to take another look at how communities work, and what happens when you spit in their faces.

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk



PS: You need to do this every week until one gets in the fog. Seriously.

kdubbs29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
HeartlineTwist wrote:1) Put this up on Cameesa. I guarantee it gets sent off to print within a week.

2) I think the rejection is probably for the overall composition of the gameboy actually being depicted, unlike the gameboy shirt.



I will gladly put this up for sale as soon as I hear back from Joel about when a rejected shirt can be printed elsewhere. I hope its exempt from the 60-day rule, but I'll have to wait to see what Joel says. "The waiting is the hardest part."

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
eHalcyon wrote:True enough, I suppose. But a cynical side of me thinks that ramyb and sekiyoku get a lot of guff simply because of their history. They've been a controversial pair since they started submitting here, and while a great deal of their designs certainly deserve some criticism, I can't help but think they get an unfair amount of hate due to their continued and consistent success with those same questionable entries.



A lot of this also has to do with how they handle the criticism. No one likes an egotistical bastard, which is just what these two are; they think they can do no wrong.

But with win after win after win under their belt, one's gotta start wondering how worth it it even is to give it their all when they're going to be cut off at the knees in liu of their tailoring the contest to their favor by shoveling in their personal fanbase for votes and victories. It's just plain not good juju.

KristinaSunshine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KristinaSunshine
Re: McSteamy Banana



This is sooo funny- I love the bananas expression!!!

antidote859


quality posts: 3 Private Messages antidote859

It's quite a shame that this isn't making it into the fog...

amurderofcrows


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amurderofcrows

I love it. Being apart of the Steampunk subculture I think you did a fantastic job representing it. good luck!

ChaosFox0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChaosFox0

Feh, I wish I had time for a resub. Busy busy busy. I'll do what I can though.

ChaosFox0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChaosFox0
Re: Beauty and the Beast



Gah, hope I can manage to crank out a resub. busy busy busy.

SeraphSix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix

This doesn't look like steampunk at all... What the heck are you thinking?

nathancort


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathancort
Re: Cloud Corsairs



Reminds me of the ship in Stardust, but not quite.

ack154


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
Re: Synthetic Beauty


Adding gears and a whisp of steam does not a steampunk design make.

I thought your other one was offtopic... I didn't even check the other fog shirts but now I see this ridiculousness.

That's it Woot. If this BS is going to continue, I'm out. I'm done. Peace.

ack154


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
Re: The Girl in Red


WHO IS VOTING FOR THIS guppy?!

Sorry, just getting really sick of seeing this stuff in the fog. In NO WAY is this on topic. Slapping some steam vents on top of a wolf is NOT steampunk. This one and both of Ramy's are pure guppy. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Like I just said in one of the other shirts... I'm done Woot. No more shirts. No more woots. No more BoCs. No more Monkeys. I'm out. Peace.

Have fun shopping on ramyandseki.shirt.woot.com.

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

Regarding the debates on whether this should have been in the fog in the first place, I quite like Draxxx's style visually, though I find he can trend towards a certain saminess, particularly when the design doesn't push him off of that. His designs for Music and Trees were, frankly, among his strongest, because they pushed him to use his style cleverly.

For me, this one ends up too generic. It's a case of a derby perhaps being a bit too close to what he always does to quite work. Sort of like ramyb and sekiyoku would be a bit adrift in a "cute animals" derby, or BootsBoots would have some trouble with a "whimsical surrealism" derby.

Hoping Draxxx's second design has a bit more spark to it.

ChaosFox0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChaosFox0
Re: Beauty and the Beast (resub)



Resubmitted with (hopefully) better contrast.

ChaosFox0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChaosFox0
Re: Beauty and the Beast



Resubmitted
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=31004

djpaode


quality posts: 0 Private Messages djpaode
BootsBoots wrote:This is all kinds of awesome.



I agree completely. This design is great. Creative and unique. Three Thumbs Up!

eeniemeanie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eeniemeanie



Here is the detail. Sorry, I'm still learning this and stumbling through it.

fatalGRACE


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatalGRACE
sefjwm wrote:Too bad the stuff going to win aren't steampunk. Needs more votes people!


As far as I can see, this is the best one in the top ranked shirts that is actually steampunk.

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
djpaode wrote:I agree completely. This design is great. Creative and unique. Three Thumbs Up!



thanks!!!
thanks bootsboots, too!


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

supersonic213


quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
DeadFrog wrote:I watched Mayazaki's "Castle in the Sky" this week(So Awesome). I tried to do something that looked like it would fit in the opening credits. I was really excited with the way this turned out.

Thanks,
Deadfrog



"Castle in the Sky" is EASILY my favorite Miyazaki film. Your inspiration comes through nicely!

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

supersonic213


quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
ack154 wrote:WHO IS VOTING FOR THIS guppy?!

Sorry, just getting really sick of seeing this stuff in the fog. In NO WAY is this on topic. Slapping some steam vents on top of a wolf is NOT steampunk. This one and both of Ramy's are pure guppy. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Like I just said in one of the other shirts... I'm done Woot. No more shirts. No more woots. No more BoCs. No more Monkeys. I'm out. Peace.

Have fun shopping on ramyandseki.shirt.woot.com.



We'll miss you and your multiple accounts? ^_^

Maybe other shirt sites like listening to whining and crying. I'm glad it isn't this one.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

leftwingchristian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leftwingchristian
Re: Steampunk Birdsong



I love the bird in every way but the background is making no sense to me at all. A mechanical tree would have appealed...