melite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melite
Re: Soul Mechanism (resub)

I like this placement a lot better

Shirt.woot.com purchases: OMGcat, Let’s Play, Synthetic Beauty, Forget the Toys, I Want the Moon, Almost Human, Deforestation, Music is Life, Sunshine, 12 Angry Beasts, Lament of the Kiwi, Imposter, Spicing Things Up a Bit, The Original Blue Hedgehog
Woot.com purchases: Random guppy, Pure Digital Flip Ultra Series F260 Camcorder

anatwork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anatwork
cmdixon2 wrote:I'm so glad this one's done. I'm so sick of looking at it. Got trapped in details. I hope you guys like it.

Details

I love it. I've been waiting for your design for this derby because I remembered High Fidelity and didn't find it till right now. Love the floating islands.

anatwork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anatwork
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk

Lol. Or even just random armor and steam pipes. GMV.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: The Girl in Red

Why does this dog have steam coming out of it armor? Is that the exhaust from a bad burrito?

This is not steampunk.. it is a dog wearing armor.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
eHalcyon wrote:But I guess that's going off topic now. Jewel, you said in your first post on your design that you don't know much about steampunk. You should really do some research (I believe just Wikipedia would be enough) as it's a very interesting field. I think you could have come up with an even more amazing design if you had figured out what Steampunk is all about.

Jewel, you're always pumping out quality. I have to agree with eHalcyon though on this one. While this *is* a quality design, I'm seeing a very loose interpretation of steampunk. Truly though, I love the profile.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
koronae wrote:Drakxxx, if you resub, everyone I know who uses shirt.woot plans on revoting on you, and I will SURE AS HELL buy the shirt if it wins.

What s/he said. And if you decide not to resub, please consider putting it up on your own site once that's legal.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

I'm not 'feeling' steampunk when I view this, but I would also like to say that I'm glad to see Seki doing something other than fluffy bunnies. ;) Good on 'ya Seki.

Also, I'd like to say something that will probably be falling on deaf ears (eyes?): Us critics would have a lot more respect from those that matter if we would set an example and be less jerky/more helpful.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213

That said, I have to agree that the final design doesn't really fit the theme well. However, your intentions are VERY clear from the line art that you were going for the theme pretty strongly from the beginning and at least we know you weren't just trying to slip this one past the rejectionator or anything ^_^ So thanks very much for posting that.

It's been said here... it's another awesome design (one of many from you!), but would perhaps fit better in another derby. If woot! is listening, how about "Fairy Tales Reimagined"?

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

Patgomoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Patgomoo

Love it, shame is doesn't have more votes.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

Can woot print those small half tones in the wolf's shadow?

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

wayword

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wayword
Paradox55 wrote:[quote postid="3157340" user="ack154"]I'm not sure I see "steampunk" in this.

I agree, my first thought was NOT steampunk at all. Why the dog for the thumbnail instead of the design that was intended to fit the derby?

Perhaps so that the people who need to complain about ramyb's and bootsboots' style every week can zone in more easily? Not to direct this all at you, but honestly, for those who dislike this because the robot has too many bolts or the dog looks familiar or whatever else... then don't buy it. Constructive criticism I understand, but cutesy animal designs are pretty static; if it's not your thing your thing, why not spend your time finding and supporting an artist you DO like, rather than complaining about minutiae every week? Or better yet, create something more worthy for us all to spend ten bucks on?

wizzdingo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
kdubbs29 wrote:I will gladly put this up for sale as soon as I hear back from Joel about when a rejected shirt can be printed elsewhere. I hope its exempt from the 60-day rule, but I'll have to wait to see what Joel says. "The waiting is the hardest part."

So, 60 days is a long time to remember that I wanted to buy a shirt, is there an artist created website that functions as a sign pointing people to where these "new-life" shirts are being printed?

This isnt the first shirt i've seen pass by that i've wanted

Favs

bradyson

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson

I must have this!!! I simply love how it looks like the smoke is passing through the hole in the gear. Amazing artistry, do not sell yourself short!

GMV!!!

bradyson

justnaota wrote:Hmm.

Steam-powered robot playing with a doggy. I'd wear it, for sure.

Don't worry, Ramyb. You grasped the subject of the derby just fine. People just want you to google "steampunk characters" and paste the first image you see on a shirt.

That would have been better that googling "Iron Giant."

;c)

kristynk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristynk
Re: The Aviator

I must admit this instills new faith for me..I love this one..keep more like it coming.. (and also like your lemons on green shirt which I wear every warm day :P)

I most recently rock out in Lust Is Like A Flame, but am almost always seen wearing Jimmy...Is That You?. In addition, I am the proud member of 26 total shirt.woots.

kristynk

Re: Beauty and the Beast (resub)

the art is amazing..but I can't say I really understand the concept..

I most recently rock out in Lust Is Like A Flame, but am almost always seen wearing Jimmy...Is That You?. In addition, I am the proud member of 26 total shirt.woots.

haezoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haezoo
Stuntdummy wrote:I see a dog and a giant robot.

I'm not sure making steam come out of a robot properly catches the "steam punk" idea. I find this, as I find many of Ramyb's works, sub-par on the originality and accuracy-to-the-theme scales. And yet, it's always fogged.
But I don't blame Ramyb, because lots of contenders submit sub-par work; I blame the voters who continually eat this stuff up.

Tell me people, HOW DO YOU DO IT? What compels you? If I submitted a masterpiece and Ramyb submitted a shirt with a pile of excrement on it, by your voting record I would still lose! I'm flabbergasted...

So. Where IS your submission? Please link so we can all worship your ultimate skillz.

kristynk

Re: Steampunk Angel

this is great artwork..but I dare say I'd rather see it on a poster vs. a shirt..maybe it's the heather gray that's pushing my nuh uh button...

kristynk

Re: Soul Mechanism (resub)

for the win...

kristynk

Re: The Idea

this is a great design..I'm willing to bet you would have had a better response had the placement been different..

wayword

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wayword
mfulkron80 wrote:Hey guys thanks for the great comments! I appreciate all the support. I would change the coclor but a) I was trying to make it look like it was in water; b) I don't want to lose what votes I already have; and c) I look great in blue

I agree that the light blue is a great color for this, for the water effect and because light blue is generally an easy color to wear. What I meant to say in the comment above (whoops!) was that my only complaint about this was the placement... we females might have a bit of trouble with the design being hidden once this is on, if ya know what I mean :P

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: The Aviator

I don't think any of the top four fit into the derby rules, but maybe that's just me reading it wrong... No, it's more likely that all four artists got it wrong.

satinembers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages satinembers
Re: Steampunk Angel

I really like the design, but I'm not too fond of the color of the shirt.

True freedom can be seen in the eyes of an anarchist.

fivestring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fivestring

Great art - terrible adherence to the theme.

fivestring

C'mon shirt.woot - this is laem. This was the best entry in the derby. The shirt is obviously asphalt.

yogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogs
Re: Synthetic Beauty

ack154 wrote:Adding gears and a whisp of steam does not a steampunk design make.

I thought your other one was offtopic... I didn't even check the other fog shirts but now I see this ridiculousness.

That's it Woot. If this BS is going to continue, I'm out. I'm done. Peace.

Not to mention as stated before..it is outside the printable area.

fivestring

This has got to be the most laem-est excuse ever. Could woot be more nondescript about this???

To the artist: Great design and execution of the derby theme. My only "gripe" about this - the buttons look plastic. Whenever this goes someplace else to sell - maybe use some gray color to make the buttons look steel/metal to contrast with the brass. Otherwise- very clever idea.

bradyson

Re: Steamworks Operatica

shirt.woot confuses me.

o.O

yogs

Tabernack wrote:PS: You need to do this every week until one gets in the fog. Seriously.

You are f-in awesome. Sure you can be a bastard at times, but that is what makes you..you. Keep it up. Oh, next time, amongst the other great suggestions, put the design slightly out of "printable" area range.

drainhts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
eHalcyon wrote:The template used here is NOT an "officially approved template". The only official template is the same cartoon drawing you see on the main shirt.woot page. "Real tee" templates, such as the one Drakxxx used here, are NOT official, although they are acceptable as long as the colour is represented correctly. This shirt template in particular is out of date; Cho's "wrinkly" shirt template is a much better representation.

I don't think the swatch was ever as light as the colour used in the background of this comp. If it was, it was in an extremely outdated version of the official template; when the new one was posted it was announced and everything. I'm pretty sure this happened before Drakxxx started submitting, unless I just never noticed his submissions until his Clockwork Orange entry.

Okay, setting aside the discrepancy on the definition of the term "officially approved template" for a moment, this is a perfectly reasonable argument until one realizes that a submission this creator submitted, specifically THIS one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24291

WAS printed, despite being on the "wrong" template.

You can argue that this "wasn't a valid template" all you want, but the point here is that Woot didn't care THEN, and only chose to start caring NOW, and that's bad form. It falls to those running the contest to inform people that they are doing something wrong BEFORE it causes the creator a problem, and frankly, they couldn't be bothered.

yogs

yogs wrote:You are f-in awesome. Sure you can be a bastard at times, but that is what makes you..you. Keep it up. Oh, next time, amongst the other great suggestions, put the design slightly out of "printable" area range.

Ooops, sorry. You did correctly place it. My bad.

ChaosFox0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChaosFox0
kristynk wrote:the art is amazing..but I can't say I really understand the concept..

The two robots are the two types of Steampunk bots I'm used to. The big clunky type and the more elegant 'victorian' style. The name came from the contrast in their sizes/shapes etc.

hasdgfas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hasdgfas
Re: Synthetic Beauty

Hey, look a butterfly. With gears inside it and a wisp of steam.

Sorry ramy, but steampunk is not the same thing as steam and gears. It should feel "rough" and this doesn't do that at all.

hasdgfas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hasdgfas

sorry seki, but I don't feel like this is steampunk. It feels like "extreme red riding hood". It just looks like the wolf is armored and that red riding hood is hunting it.
I don't see anything that screams "steampunk"

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Calling John Henry!

the details, textures and colors are amazing. this might be my favorite of yours robbie... although I studied ironclad for quite a while and really like that one too

this should have more votes. got one from me.

picasserole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
ViciousSandpiper wrote:I love that you actually incorporated Victorian style elements. Unfortunately, probably too late to make it into the fog, but you've GMV.

Thanks muchly( you viscious sandpiper, you -- interesting choice for a user name, it'll most probably linger in the mind, long after this derby is forgotten, maybe that's the idea tho )..;p

twale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twale
Re: the steam punk (re-sub)

ahh i hope this one gets printed!

sdsnowbrdr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdsnowbrdr

Seriously ? Nice drawing but waaaaay off theme.

yogs

Re: Steamworks Operatica

I am a big fan of Draxxx stuff. This is absurd, as everyone has stated. And, I know that I am sounding like a broken record, but there is another "fog" design that clearly violates the printable area rule. I think this is more blatant than Draxxx's color choice.

mfulkron80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfulkron80
wayword wrote:I agree that the light blue is a great color for this, for the water effect and because light blue is generally an easy color to wear. What I meant to say in the comment above (whoops!) was that my only complaint about this was the placement... we females might have a bit of trouble with the design being hidden once this is on, if ya know what I mean :P

That is a very interesting point that never crossed my mind. I was trying to put it in a more interesting spot than dead center, but now absolutely see how it could be moved to account for, umm, female wearers. Thank you, I will have to remember that next time I design a shirt.