BillyBcool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BillyBcool
Re: the steam punk (re-sub)

It really looks great, but it's much too wide. "The Epic Begins" is enough to curve around the chest and almost go under the armpits, and this is much wider than that.

"Thanks for the memories."

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
JustJiggles wrote:I don't think any of the top four fit into the derby rules, but maybe that's just me reading it wrong... No, it's more likely that all four artists got it wrong.

Why, praytell, is this not steampunk, other than clearly breaking the Flying Penguins rule that has apparently been redacted.

nelson22

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nelson22
Re: The Aviator

Anyone think of linux? I did.

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Tabernack wrote: *snip first part of post

There is such little hope in you and Ramy packing up your trash and leaving, despite all the hope a large number of us may have, so don't try to shake your finger and tut-tut at the folks calling you out, reiterating the rules that you so gleefully skirt the edges of, because it's quite apparent to everyone that not only are you full of it with your "almost meets this weeks critera," but that you know you can do just barely enough to get away with it. Boy oh boy, I wonder what would happen if I started to submit borderline, redundant garbage that may or may not contain a semblance of blatantly pre-conceived icons (and then proceed to feign ignorance). People would rip into me too, so don't think for one second that you and your boyfriend Ramy are somehow miraculously exempt from criticism. People aren't jumping all over your case for no good reason.

Looks like you need to take another look at how communities work, and what happens when you spit in their faces.

How about we keep comments about submissions in the realm of constructive criticism and leave out the personal animus? I snipped the first part of you post because I think that part was constructive. But the part I left in above... I think personal attacks on designers are out of line.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

eblack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblack
re: phineas the aeronaut

It's utter yak excrement that this was rejected just because it's a re-entry. I think it's the only thing I've seen so far that I would actually buy.

Some guppy on a lemon colored shirt will probably win, again. And I won't buy it, again.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
fivestring wrote:This has got to be the most laem-est excuse ever. Could woot be more nondescript about this???

To the artist: Great design and execution of the derby theme. My only "gripe" about this - the buttons look plastic. Whenever this goes someplace else to sell - maybe use some gray color to make the buttons look steel/metal to contrast with the brass. Otherwise- very clever idea.

That's not really that vague. There is a large difference between the big gameboy shirt as costume shirt and this. The copyright issue is a little too daunting for them.

That said, once again, I urge you to throw it up on Cameesa. I know firsthand, since I own two shirts from there (technically three because Boots' colors got messed up) that the shirts are a good quality and the prints came out well. I know there's a waiting period, maybe, but when it's done...

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
fivestring wrote:This has got to be the most laem-est excuse ever. Could woot be more nondescript about this???

To the artist: Great design and execution of the derby theme. My only "gripe" about this - the buttons look plastic. Whenever this goes someplace else to sell - maybe use some gray color to make the buttons look steel/metal to contrast with the brass. Otherwise- very clever idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually going for a "pearl" look for the buttons. I just hope I can sell this soon while there is still interest in it. I don't want it to be forgotten.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk

Freakin brilliant. I would LOVE to see something like this get in the fog and watch the chaos that follows!

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

akumachan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
DiamondFace wrote:
I can't picture Woot not rejecting this.

Then you don't know the woot judges very well

They have a track record for allowing off topic designs from popular artists.

I am personally a fan of seki's stuff. This is a very gorgeous looking design. I don't think i would wear it on a shirt, but it would look great on a poster.

And it's SO NOT steampunk.

This design will continue to fog and most likely print.

Steampunk is much easier to understand than art deco, IMO.
I agree that things are open to interpretation, but only to the extent that they remain on topic.

Anyway, we all went over this back on the art deco theme.

IMO, if there are this many people telling you that you are off topic, then it's likely that you are indeed off-topic.

-ac
if it look like wolf and make bark like wolf, then is probably wolf.

moiraetc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moiraetc
Re: Steampunk Willie

More people need to vote for this, dammit. This is the one shirt this derby I would actually buy.

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

Hey! This is really nice! Great flow on the shirt...and you really nailed the Steampunk theme. I love it!

akumachan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
Re: Steamworks Operatica

This is absolutely ridiculous!!!

the color is asphalt! how can this be rejected??

Even if it's slightly off, can't woot just alter the pantone color like they SAY they will do in the submission instructions.

This is very disappointing to say the least.

I really gotta think if I want to continue supporting this site by buying shirts. It may be time to go spend my 10-15 bucks elsewhere. It's a shame because there are some really great shirts to buy here. But integrity seems to be lacking.

-ac

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
haezoo wrote:So. Where IS your submission? Please link so we can all worship your ultimate skillz.

Please show us your submission as well. If the ability to analyze and criticize art requires that you be able to create art, surely praising it does so as well.

Hopefully my response to this isn't really needed because most people here are not foolish enough to try to make your point but given how often it seems to come up it felt necessary.

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
supersonic213 wrote:That said, I have to agree that the final design doesn't really fit the theme well. However, your intentions are VERY clear from the line art that you were going for the theme pretty strongly from the beginning and at least we know you weren't just trying to slip this one past the rejectionator or anything ^_^ So thanks very much for posting that.

Glad you recognized where I was going with the lineart, even I admit that the final product is not as steampunk as I would like, but I think if I had taken the coloring in a different direction, it would look more like a typical steampunk picture. It doesn't look like it will print anyway, so my best hope is that it can get an honorable mention, and then in double take, it won't matter what the original theme was.

marzipanapple wrote:I'm not 'feeling' steampunk when I view this, but I would also like to say that I'm glad to see Seki doing something other than fluffy bunnies. ;) Good on 'ya Seki.

Also, I'd like to say something that will probably be falling on deaf ears (eyes?): Us critics would have a lot more respect from those that matter if we would set an example and be less jerky/more helpful.

Ramy is moreso the bunnies/rodents person. ;) But thanks.

And I couldn't agree with you more on the second part. I don't know why people who say things like "this isn't steampunk, it's CRA P" expect me to pay attention to them at all.

bonwater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonwater
Re: Mermaid Touch

I like it! Makes my gears go!

24 Woots and Growin..... Boss Woot, Boss.

Waldoshi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Waldoshi
Re: Otter of My Eye

Awesome otter! Keep it up.

I am the Waldo, koo koo ka choo.

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
HeartlineTwist wrote:That's not really that vague. There is a large difference between the big gameboy shirt as costume shirt and this. The copyright issue is a little too daunting for them.

Actually it is very vague. Look at the reason for rejection again if you don't believe me.

Woot rejections are way to subjective if you ask me.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: Blueprints for a Legend...

AWESOME. Your execution is spot-on! Maybe not that steampunk, but the voters and rejectionators alike seem to have a broad definition of the art style. I LOVE his goggles and the splash of plasma blue. Your talent shows through very well and I would buy it in a second. Keep subbing!

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: The Mother of all Doggie Beds

Not steampunk, but I guarantee you'll get an honorable mention.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

Stormink

mrpenguin203 wrote:why doesnt anybody just use the template provided by shirt.woot? then you wouldnt have any problems.

Does this question really need a response?

How about because they look like garbage.

SeraphSix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
sekiyoku wrote:I don't know why people who say things like "this isn't steampunk, it's CRA P" expect me to pay attention to them at all.

I never said it was guppy. It's a VERY cool design, but it doesn't fit the theme.
It's more like cyberpunk than steampunk.

SeraphSix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix

The debate shouldn't be about skill. The debate should be about submitting a design that isn't similar to other designs and follows the theme. Dog is not steampunk. Design looks like an existing design. End of story.

Stormink

supersonic213 wrote:We'll miss you and your multiple accounts? ^_^

Hehehe... irony anyone?

Stormink

Re: Synthetic Beauty

On the collar and over the sleeve seam? Gonna deliver on that Woot or do we have a double standard?

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Stormink wrote:Does this question really need a response?

How about because they look like garbage.

LOL nice answer

moothoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moothoot
Re: Steampunk Angel

Very Fluevoggian. Nice job!

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
kristynk wrote:this is a great design..I'm willing to bet you would have had a better response had the placement been different..

you mean in the middle of the shirt?

I'd rather have it off to the side. Thank you though

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Looks like Gears of War-ish, me like!

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
eHalcyon wrote:The template used here is NOT an "officially approved template". The only official template is the same cartoon drawing you see on the main shirt.woot page. "Real tee" templates, such as the one Drakxxx used here, are NOT official, although they are acceptable as long as the colour is represented correctly. This shirt template in particular is out of date; Cho's "wrinkly" shirt template is a much better representation.

I don't think the swatch was ever as light as the colour used in the background of this comp. If it was, it was in an extremely outdated version of the official template; when the new one was posted it was announced and everything. I'm pretty sure this happened before Drakxxx started submitting, unless I just never noticed his submissions until his Clockwork Orange entry.

Oh shut up you little brown noser. How many times are you going to defend Woot for their stupid decisions? Anybody with a brain can see this design was supposed to be on asphalt.

Tiemannl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tiemannl
Re: Steamworks Operatica

Drakxx fails again, muahahaha!

Victory!

hyuk hyuk hyuk, tacos rule!

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
ack154 wrote:WHO IS VOTING FOR THIS guppy?!

I, for one. I have no problem voting for a shirt I like regardless of the derby's theme, especially when it's a theme I don't know or care about. I don't place much stock in categorizing things in general and feel fine to leave entry eligibility up to shirt.woot.

For whatever reason, today I like this shirt. Tomorrow I may not and take back my vote. If I'd consider buying (and wearing) something, I vote.

I have voted for two shirts in this derby: this and the one we're discussing here.

ack154

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
supersonic213 wrote:We'll miss you and your multiple accounts? ^_^

Maybe other shirt sites like listening to whining and crying. I'm glad it isn't this one.

Why would I want to have multiple accounts? For what possible use would they be? I've only ever had one account. This one. It is perhaps the other direction you should direct the "multiple accounts" joke.

Tabernack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
alfbo wrote:How about we keep comments about submissions in the realm of constructive criticism and leave out the personal animus? I snipped the first part of you post because I think that part was constructive. But the part I left in above... I think personal attacks on designers are out of line.

I do believe that is my right, good sir. Nothing wrong with being truthful and it's completely valid.

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
marzipanapple wrote:Jewel, you're always pumping out quality. I have to agree with eHalcyon though on this one. While this *is* a quality design, I'm seeing a very loose interpretation of steampunk. Truly though, I love the profile.

a loose interpretation IS still an interpretation. just like interpreting the constitution, you can either read it conservatively or liberally, but either is still an interpretation. unless woot gets someone with a PhD in Steampnk'dness to put his/her stamp of approval on every submission, the theme is left interpreted by every individual. although the current fog'd entries are valid interpretations of the theme, there are way better interpretations out there.

gone!

nortagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nortagem
Re: The Girl in Red

Oh wow. O.O This just might be my favorite submission for this derby! Awesome work, man!

drainhts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
Tiemannl wrote:Drakxx fails again, muahahaha!

Victory!

Hey look, Frank. Teeny-boppers. You like video games teeny-boppers? Your mommy give you quarters for video games?

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
drainhts wrote:Hey look, Frank. Teeny-boppers. You like video games teeny-boppers? Your mommy give you quarters for video games?

Best response EVER

OnyxEyez

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OnyxEyez
Moondragon wrote:I, for one. I have no problem voting for a shirt I like regardless of the derby's theme, especially when it's a theme I don't know or care about. I don't place much stock in categorizing things in general and feel fine to leave entry eligibility up to shirt.woot.

This is NOT steampunk in the slightest, and attitudes like this really piss me off - if good designers stick to the theme and turn out really great artwork that is on topic, and then someone else turns out a shirt that people like but that is not to the theme, well, what is the point of the other designers sticking to the theme too? I was really looking forward to this derby to get some hardcore steampunk designs, and now the only stuff left in the fog - with the somewhat exception of Cho's shirt - is non-theme, non-steampunk. How about some real vetting here woot? Isn't that the point of the theme?

Woot: x 41
Shirt.Woot: x 41
Sellout.Woot: x 11
Kids.Woot: x 4
Wine.Woot: x none. Wine gives me migraines. I'll take the cheese tho.

OnyxEyez

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OnyxEyez
Re: Of the Moment

Very pretty yes, steampunk no. Another type of theme I'd be all over it.

Woot: x 41
Shirt.Woot: x 41
Sellout.Woot: x 11
Kids.Woot: x 4
Wine.Woot: x none. Wine gives me migraines. I'll take the cheese tho.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

I decide to do the re-submission on a brown shirt, as I think it further enhances the dirty metal steampunk vibe, and I also re-did various details here and there in attempts to bring more focus into the composition.

The chances of this getting back up top are unlikely, but at least the design is back as part of steampunk woot, and for the people who liked it the first time around.

Again guys, thank you endlessly for all your support and encouragement.

Here is a link to a large composition of version 2 of the design:
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss34/drakxxxshirts/FULLCOMP.jpg