fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

I like the details but prefer asphalt for personal reasons.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

justnaota

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justnaota
Re: Synthetic Beauty

I'd wear it. It looks cool. But really who are you trying to kid with this? This isn't Steampunk at all. I really like your other design, but I can now see why some people are bothered.

There's some really good designs this week that should be in the fog but won't get the chance because of this off-topic (although nice to look at) design.

adamsw216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages adamsw216

I like the design, but I honestly wouldn't wear the shirt. It's not really my style, but I was also rather upset at your rejection so I am now voting for this because you deserve to be back up where you were!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik

Maybe the rejection was a blessing in disguise? Looks even better in brown. GMV.

drainhts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
eHalcyon wrote:Saying that this design should not have been rejected simply because past designs making the same mistake weren't rejected is analagous to requesting that the electrician just pretend like there isn't any faulty wiring the second time around, instead leaving it broken and not fixing it at all.

Except that isn't the problem; the problem, and I apologize for the fact that I'm apparently not getting this across very well, is that they PRINTED a shirt by the designer that WAS SUBMITTED ON this wrong template, and thus SHOULD HAVE told him then "Hey, dude, don't use this template anymore".

There is no excuse. None. Had they done that, this would not be an issue now, period. And, again, THEY PRINTED THE DESIGN. They KNEW at that point what was going on. It isn't like dude's been a last-place contributor who lucked into a fogged entry. The design they printed received an Editor's Choice print, which means, in essence, that someone at Woot LOOKED AT THE DESIGN before saying "Yup, print it", saw the wrong template, and ignored it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand your point, I just happen to think it's wholly indefensible.

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
gee2thek wrote:Once again, Boots, you amaze me. Great job!

Very Nice Work! I like the detail and shiny metal. I'm not sure if I would wear this...

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
eHalcyon wrote:They defended themselves before, which prompted people to say that they were being overly defensive and that it was further proof of their guilt. It's a lose-lose situation, really.

What eHalcyon said. If people are annoyed that they're occupying three fourths of the fog (admittedly, I am) then they should just say so instead of dredging up old accusations that never went anywhere.

As for this design, yes, I've seen Iron Giant and there is some resemblance, but it doesn't look like a blatant knockoff to me. I haven't voted for it, because personally it's not my thing, but this is hardly plagiarism.

mmormino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmormino
elwayman02 wrote: And yes, the pirate flag is wearing goggles. ;)

Just like Myke Amend's dirigible artwork at http://www.mykeamend.com, which has also been favorably compared to a Decemberists' album cover that never was but might have been. Myke's artwork is in my steampunk nursery.

mmormino

Re: explore

You have wandered into a dark place.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Finley4 wrote:Just look at the positive comments and the people that jump to the defence in Ramyb or Sekiyoku's thread to anyone that doubts it. You see a positive comment, hover over the name and see when they joined. 9 out of 10 times they joined after Sept. 23, the date Ramy joined (and coincidentally the time Sekiyoku started winning, after being here since 2006!?!) Sekiyoku's got almost 20 of them in her thread this week, Ramy close to 50 in his two threads. What's amazing is for as many Sept. 2008-April. 2009 join dates you see there's almost never any Jun. July or Aug. 2008 joiners. It's like they just suddenly appeared and Oi! Mosh good! love! Ramyb and Sekiyoku's work the best!!! Check out other peoples submissions, you won't find the same kind of hefty representation from Sept. 23 to today. Couldn't be more obvious there's something wrong here.

Or, you know, it could be that there are actually that many people that like Ramy and Seki and came here once they started showing strong? SHOCKGASP, say it ain't so!

I'm not saying it's out of the question, but if you go looking for the shady looking stuff, shady looking stuff is what you find. Not to mention, compare the sales numbers. I would have to go physically look, but I am fairly confident that in almost ALL instances, every vote Ramy and Seki receive is matched by at least a single buy, if not more. Hell, maybe they're REALLY smart. Maybe they're buying all of those shirts themselves...yeah, that's it.

Also, I will once again present this argument: If Ramy and Seki have THAT many votes, they're not just bumping their own shirts. They're bumping other designs. Why wouldn't they? According to you, Ramy and Seki are picking every fog, every time, even if they don't both make it or even if they don't make it at all.

That said, still in agreement about the questionability of this shirt's adherence to theme.

mmormino

I agree, steampunk ain't lost and lost ain't steampunk. Cool design but the Asian thingy kills it for me. One of those "oh cool... what the frack?" moments.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
jewelwing wrote:If I could put the love of steampunk in my heart for this derby to make something that true fans of it would want, I definitely would. Unfortunately all I could do was research it, which I did do, and make what seemed on theme to me.

I get what you're saying tho, a lot of the designs just don't "feel" steampunk and if you're really into steampunk then you probably were looking forward to a good shirt that captured the spirit of it. It's disappointing when the winning ones don't. That's how I felt in the deco derby anyways. Btw, I'd still like a real deco shirt if anyone knows of one...

Thanks very much to those that do like the design tho. And those that don't, that's cool too. I just like the attention.

I do like the design. It's beautiful. I'd even say that if everything else withstanding in this derby stays as is (coughlookingatyoufogcough), I would say this beats most of them for being on theme.

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
Re: Bright Future?

Hope this is "steampunk". Either way, it's one of the first things that pop into my head when I think about the theme.

-Enjoy!

masterxuln

quality posts: 1 Private Messages masterxuln

Wow Draxxx, this is a huge improvement over your first shirt. I'm serious! Brown definitely fits the design better and the detail changes are great. The whole design looks more defined overall now. Some of the colors are more vivid, I see more detailed shading also. I'm really liking the new details on the robot. It's very impressive how you managed to greatly improve a design that already started out very solid and well-made. Great job!

P.S. I also applaud your handling of the rejection situation, despite its unfairness. Very impressive!

greenmolloy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmolloy

Seems more post-apocalyptic to me.

D1C0M

greenmolloy wrote:Seems more post-apocalyptic to me.

I hope that's not my impromptu theme that makes it off theme. I got the idea from the steampunk magazine website. The "SteamPunk’s Guide To The Apocalypse" was the inspiration.

Brudaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brudaddy
Re: Mechanical Bird Child

Kind of creepy.

wonderandawe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderandawe
Re: Steampunk Willie

I love Steamboat Willie! I'd so buy Steampunk Willie!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
peppersagooddog wrote:such a tragedy that guppy rules at woot too often. if this does not print i would gladly give it "support" elsewhere when the time is up.

Def. If it doesn't get printed here, take it to Cameesa.

DrHands

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrHands
eeniemeanie wrote:

Here is the detail. Sorry, I'm still learning this and stumbling through it.

This oh so reminds me of me and my twin sister.

Art is anything you can get away with (on a T-Shirt)

D1C0M

Dang it, after thinking about it, this probably isn't "Steampunk". Bah! I finally got time to do a submission and it's not on theme.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: The Girl in Red

It's not steampunk...but I love variations on Little Red Riding Hood and I love this design. Fantastic colours, as always.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
sleepingin wrote:Also, I really like it as is, but I think it would be cool to see it in a nighttime or twilight setting, with some stars & darker background.
gmv either way.

Thanks! I like the twilight/night setting, too, but I was afraid people would say it was too close to my "inspired by Sailor Moon" entry (http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=29199. I drew this from scratch and I didn't want people saying I just modified my old design. I might make a night version and sub it somewhere else after the 60 days, though.

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

euselton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages euselton
branmak wrote:Too funny! It's not even close. With this kind of logic, we should also disqualify all designs that come close to the 'idea' of something else. So goodbye mechanical dragons - done before. Goodbye robots, done before. Goodbye steampunk, done before...

Make that a third person who thought of the Wondermark shirt. I saw it earlier this month at comic con, and immediately on seeing this design said "Hey! That looks like the wondermark shirt, except with not as good art..."

Also, as for it's not even close, it totally is. Same idea, same execution, same porthole, same dark brown background, same little patch on the right hand side of both hearts. The only difference is the Wondermark shirt looks nicer. And attacking people about how all ideas are borrowed instead of being embarrassed and saying "Wow, our designs really do look alike! I totally didn't mean to rip that off" just makes me think less and less that this was an accident.

Brudaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brudaddy
Re: explore

I really like this. The colors are great, and the Dharma symbol is perfect.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

keep the votes coming people!

astomps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astomps
tgentry wrote:Steampunk Willie

vote it up y'all

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: Rustic

Vote! You know you want this shirt.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
2thFairy wrote:Def. If it doesn't get printed here, take it to Cameesa.

They recently botched her print of gamer mother(which I am wearing today), and that is the third time that I've heard that they have seriously messed up a design. With that in mind, I'd stay away from Cameesa until they work out their kinks between them and their printer.

For the price, she could just as easily put it on Spreadshirt. $18 for T-shirt is a bit much.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drainhts wrote:Except that isn't the problem; the problem, and I apologize for the fact that I'm apparently not getting this across very well, is that they PRINTED a shirt by the designer that WAS SUBMITTED ON this wrong template, and thus SHOULD HAVE told him then "Hey, dude, don't use this template anymore".

There is no excuse. None. Had they done that, this would not be an issue now, period. And, again, THEY PRINTED THE DESIGN. They KNEW at that point what was going on. It isn't like dude's been a last-place contributor who lucked into a fogged entry. The design they printed received an Editor's Choice print, which means, in essence, that someone at Woot LOOKED AT THE DESIGN before saying "Yup, print it", saw the wrong template, and ignored it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand your point, I just happen to think it's wholly indefensible.

Yes, I agree - they should have said so back then. Possible reasons why they didn't include Woot's own capriciousness and the possibility that they just didn't notice before. Your point and my original point are not incompatible.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bobichka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka

The breadsticks need marinara! happened here, apparently I missed a rejection?!? GMV again, hope you can make it back into the fog.

dahousekat1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dahousekat1
re: steam-powered heart

I WANT ONE...................

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
cobolisdead wrote:They recently botched her print of gamer mother(which I am wearing today), and that is the third time that I've heard that they have seriously messed up a design. With that in mind, I'd stay away from Cameesa until they work out their kinks between them and their printer.

For the price, she could just as easily put it on Spreadshirt. $18 for T-shirt is a bit much.

Ack, what happened with that one? I really liked the idea of Cameesa and the one print I have from them (Khameleon) is quite good, even though they didn't manage to do the placement the artist intended.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

richardemoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardemoore
euselton wrote:Make that a third person who thought of the Wondermark shirt. I saw it earlier this month at comic con, and immediately on seeing this design said "Hey! That looks like the wondermark shirt, except with not as good art..."

Yeah, sorry. This is exactly the same idea, and almost an identical graphic. The only major difference is that the design here is sealed with a padlock. But seriously, this is the same damn design, intentional or not.

I'd rather be drinking... Oh wait, I *am*!

amurderofcrows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amurderofcrows

yay! i was so sad that you got regected. good luck!

amurderofcrows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amurderofcrows

i love how the little guy looks like Dr.Steel

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink

Much better than version one! Glad to see you resubmit. I just wish you hadn't had computer problems and Woot hadn't been laem so we could have seen many more Darkxxx designs...

Oh well!

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Beauty and the Beast (resub)

Overall, it is definitely better, especially for a shirt. I know this might be kind of frustrating to you, but I like the bolder colors better in the first one. I get what you did here, though, and I'm sure you put some work into figuring out the contrast. GMV this time.

jazibel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazibel
re: the aviator

This makes me cry tears of longing.

noapparentfunction

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noapparentfunction