AmynessPrime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AmynessPrime
mfulkron80 wrote:That is a very interesting point that never crossed my mind. I was trying to put it in a more interesting spot than dead center, but now absolutely see how it could be moved to account for, umm, female wearers. Thank you, I will have to remember that next time I design a shirt.

grapefruits!

davengvar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davengvar
DiamondFace wrote:It's a cool design, but it is not steampunk. I didn't even know what the smokestacks were until I read the comments. It just looks like stylized hair.

I can't picture Woot not rejecting this. The whole point of the derby is to make art that explores a theme, and this one really fails to adhere to that theme. Bottom line for me, if I saw it on a shirt, I would think Medieval-fantasy-adventure, not steampunk.

I love sekiyoku's stuff, and this too is great artwork, but it absolutely does not follow the theme. And there are so many really creative submissions that work within the constraints of steampunk this week that I think it would be a shame if this one ended up being printed.

I agree. Sorry, the art is really well-done, but it doesn't fit the derby theme.

The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime.

jesstech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesstech
Re: Otter of My Eye

I love the illustration to death, but i'm not sure about the choice of shirt color. I feel like it doesn't compliment the idea of 'water' and it's instead becoming a muddy pile of browns. What about something more like this?

lovethatfusion

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovethatfusion

Hmm...How strange, I can currently see the number of votes on the fog. You're in first at the moment by 69 votes. Good for you!

re: steambiker

AmynessPrime

twistedtap wrote:very cool. love this drawing.

Absolutely no relevance to the theme.

Abydos641

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Abydos641
sekiyoku wrote:Wow, thank you for all the positive feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed the design, I really love drawing things like this, but I don't like doing it for tshirt designs because you are limited to 6 colors and therefore limited in what you can do with the picture.

Now on the touchy subject of steampunk/not steampunk - I think the lineart was much more steampunky than the finished version, see here: http://i42.tinypic.com/2410042.jpg The wolf was supposed to be part metal, part organic, and powered by like a furnace type thing- hence the red light coming out from the cracks of the metal and the smokestacks. Unfortunately, it came out a little too organic and so I can see why it would look like armor instead of looking like it's part machine. Red, on the other hand, I think is completely steampunk, minus the hood - I wasn't sure about the hood, but I liked the way that it looked with the ragged edges, so I did it like that, and I didn't think it was NOT steampunk particularly. Anyway, I understand if you choose not to vote because of it, but I believe that in art style derbies, there can be many interpretations of the style.

Regardless, thanks for the support on the design.

Kudos! There are many ways to interpret a theme, and steampunk has been redefined so many times that it has definitely moved beyond the classic "Victorian era powered by steam" that most people associate with it. I'm glad you stuck to your vision, and you're absolutely right. If people don't like it, don't buy it.

AmynessPrime

DeadFrog wrote:The King of times gone by has graced us with his holy presence people. His light brings clarity. His sarcasm can pierce the sky.

But he's right. Steampunk is a pretty broad field. Check out http://www.girlgeniusonline.com, a webcomic generally acclaimed by the steampunk community. Mutant animals wearing armor and building flying machines would fit right in. A giant robot and a dog would have a home in steampunk as well. Flowery lines and gears actually do make things steampunk, or so it seems in the creations of Jake Von Slatt http://steampunkworkshop.com one of the major online steampunks. Steampunk is a field that welcomes anything close into it's fold, and while I certainly think my design is the best, its not because the designs that people like more are off topic.

WHile that may be the case, you might want to keep in mind that the internet is rather nebulous, and you can find anyone on it calling anything whatever they want, and that doesn't make it so.

The core of the steampunk genre is very specific, and alot of thise other stuff might be inspired by it, but it certainly doesn't really represent what steampunk actually is the way yours does.

What it comes down to is that if this doesn't make the derby (which is definitely should), then you need to submit it somewhere else, so I can wear it.

Carissima17

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Carissima17
Re: The Aviator

Cho, as always, top notch. I love it. I have missed you in the derbies. If this doesn't print, I am going to cry. I WILL be buying.

fatalGRACE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatalGRACE
Abydos641 wrote:Kudos! There are many ways to interpret a theme, and steampunk has been redefined so many times that it has definitely moved beyond the classic "Victorian era powered by steam" that most people associate with it. I'm glad you stuck to your vision, and you're absolutely right. If people don't like it, don't buy it.

You can call it whatever you want, but that doesn't make it steampunk. Steampunk as a genre has a certain aesthetic associated with it, regardless of changes from the classic victorian era ideal, that aesthetic remains. This shirt in no way matches the ideal, and putting some brass coloring and smoke doesn't make this into a steampunk shirt.

And people wo don't like it can 'not buy it' all they want, but that won't change the fact that better shirts that fit the theme, such as DeadFrog's entry, were denied the win by shirts such as this. I can not buy this shirt, but because it managed to slip through the cracks on a vague, false interpretation of the genre, I lose the opportunity to buy a shirt that actually meets the aesthetic and theme of the derby.

fatalGRACE

Re: Cloud Corsairs

This is an excellent shirt. One of the few that fit the theme.

fatalGRACE

byrbwr wrote:i love how woot won't ever answer anyone, and never has to answer for their snuggled up logic.

worst customer service? well, it's almost as bad as electronic arts, let's put it that way.

How is it that such a relevant and extraordinarily well made shirt gets rejected, while random, in some cases awkwardly drawn (penguin and dog), and completely irrelevant to the theme, shirts are allowed to remain in the fof?

fatalGRACE

cobolisdead wrote:you know, I could see where you'd be coming from if it were just the people with their Steam punk weapons and armor. I could see where you coming from it were just the gears and steam(Steam that is actually white for a change). However, both of them, along with the Steam powered Robotic Dog and the Steam powered Robot that they just caught and have chained up really tie it together as Steam Punk, IMO.

I think it's tragic that this isn't in 1st place right now, as it clearly is the best design for this theme. It just goes to show the sorry state that these derbies have become in the past 7 months.

I agree completely. This and Deadfrog's entries should be the top two, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
Re: Steampunk Angel

Maybe Asphalt would have been better...

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

woot hates me...it wont let me vote...i've tried like ten times now

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
HeartlineTwist wrote:And the alley-oop for the win?

Trust me, Storm, I want this to be rejected just as much as you do, but I also realize that the shirt.woot staff probably isn't around at all times. Should it have been rejected by now? In an ideal world, yes.

I agree.

However, if you're argument is true, you make Woot out to be very stupid. (Which I have no problem with... especially with this derby as evidence.) The Drakxxx shirt was rejected incredibly quickly after it fell out of the fog. If they hold meetings for fogged entries I'd assume it is because they are reluctant to reject a design that has so much backing. Also, I'd assume they would be aware that the fogged entries fluctuate a lot, and that a design that has just fallen out of the fog might be back in in a couple of hours. So, I think it is safe to assume that they would hesitate and have to confer to remove Drakxxx's shirt because it had been fogged for a good amount of time and just barely slipped out.

Of course, maybe you are right and Woot is even dumber than I give them credit for and rejected it as soon as it wasn't in the "precious fog". But, I have to at least concede a tiny bit of common sense to them and say that they also discussed the rejection of the Drakxxx shirt.

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
DeadFrog wrote:The King of times gone by has graced us with his holy presence people. His light brings clarity. His sarcasm can pierce the sky.

But he's right. Steampunk is a pretty broad field. Check out http://www.girlgeniusonline.com, a webcomic generally acclaimed by the steampunk community. Mutant animals wearing armor and building flying machines would fit right in. A giant robot and a dog would have a home in steampunk as well. Flowery lines and gears actually do make things steampunk, or so it seems in the creations of Jake Von Slatt http://steampunkworkshop.com one of the major online steampunks. Steampunk is a field that welcomes anything close into it's fold, and while I certainly think my design is the best, its not because the designs that people like more are off topic.

Hah, sorry if I put you on the spot. I love your entry, slick illustration there. Love the old school bike and it's got my vote.

It's not so much about what steampunk is or isn't. Everytime I come on here, narcissistic slimebags are always on someones case. Must be fun to not contribute a god damn thing to this community or the contest and try to ruin peoples day. being able to voice your opinion on this site is a privilege. You certainly wouldn't say the kinds of Gigli (2003) you see here in front of the people you're bashing on. But the internet is what it is - playground for ball-less inbred walkie-talkies to feel a little bit better about their meaningless lives.

Stormink

Abydos641 wrote: I think it conveys steampunk while taking into account the medium (t-shirt) that will definitely degrade over time. Five years from now this will still look like a wolf and a girl, where a more complicated design might fade into unrecognizable splotches.

What? So all designs should refrain from being complicated because if people mistreat their shirts they won't read properly anymore.

Just like the medieval manuscripts should have been simpler so that we could still see the images on the ones that weren't preserved properly?

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
mewlink64 wrote:Adder should resub.

I would totally revote for this one with a corrected placement

Stormink

davengvar wrote:I've never been a fan of chaos designs like this one and I don't really think it fits the theme. Just because the style has Victorian elements and there are machines involved doesn't mean it's steampunk.

I really hope that was poorly crafted sarcasm.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
AmynessPrime wrote:
As for Moondragon's post, taking the attitude that "I don't know what it is, so I don't care" is a really stupid way to look at things.

I didn't say "I don't know what it is, so I don't care." I looked into what's called steam punk on the internet, and it resonated with me about as much as dissecting subcategories of metal music. Because the theme didn't mean as much to me as, say, the Art Deco theme, it didn't factor into whether or not I liked something. Last time I checked, the vote button said, "I'D WANT ONE" not "I think this best portrays the theme."

I understand the purist viewpoint. If this were a site voting on music, I'd be much more likely to side with the must-be-on-theme-the-way-I-see-it crowd. I guess the fact that I don't take t-shirts that seriously (and that I've only submitted once for almost instant rejection) makes it easy for me to vote based solely on personal wearability.

Blienky27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blienky27
Re: Combat Wombat

:D Reminds me of Digger!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Let's Play

There have been a lot of accusations made with arbitrarily chosen pieces of evidence regarding dates of joining of users, number of woots, sales, etc. But rather than just say that these are dumb accusations, I figured I'd instead compile some numbers for you:

1. Everyone who leaves positive comments on my shirts joined after I did, and so they must all be me.

So this entry, 2/3 of the positive comments came from people who joined in Sept2008 or later (which is when I joined, which is why it's the magic start point). For my other entry this week, half of the positive comments were from people who joined at that date or later. (If we include seki's shirt in this, only 40% of the comments are from users who joined in Sept or later).

Now to compare, drakxxx's entry has received half of its comments from users who joined in Sept08 or later, and Deadfrog 2/3. Are these numbers any different? No. Why did I choose these as my comparison point? Because they are the two entries to which mine have been most compared. Simple really.

2. Everyone who likes my shirts has a yellow box, which is suspicious.

So let's look at those numbers. For my two shirts combined (only looking at positive comments):
1 blank box, 5 yellow boxes, 3 orange boxes, 23 blue bloxes, 13 red boxes, 5 black boxes.
So, for every user who commented that they liked the shirt who had only 1 woot, there was one who had 25 or more. (And if you think that number is suspiciously high for my TWO entries combined, drakxxx's one entry alone has 6 comments from people with just a single purchase).

3. My shirts don't actually sell that well anyway, so who is voting on them?

My shirts, on average, have each sold 1000 more than the average for derby winners since I joined (if you include dailies in that number, it's a much larger difference even, but I think comparing to derby entries only is fair).

So please don't try to argue with me that the people who like my shirts are sketchy, or that they can't be real, or that they don't actually make purchases without actually looking into the numbers. These things are very easy to look up, but people instead choose to blurt out whatever they think will cast doubt on me without taking two seconds to actually think it through or see if there is any validity in their claims.

I'm sick of responding to these stupid claims and was planning to just ignore it because it's pointless to respond, but since I was called out for not defending myself, I decided I might as well. Not like it matters either way- I can present undeniable proof and people will still say that it's impossible that people vote on something they don't personally like.

Oh, and as a sidenote, don't tell me to wikipedia search steampunk. If you are going by wikipedia, it says "Since the 1990s, the application of the steampunk label has expanded beyond works set in recognizable historical periods (usually the 19th century) to works set in fantasy worlds that rely heavily on steam- or spring-powered technology," which negates 90% of the comments about why various things within the derby aren't steampunk.

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan

I consider all the trash-talk you get as a compliment to you... Since every successful skilled artist on this site since the beginning has gotten a heap of garbage thrown their way by folks who consistantly submit non-artistic shlock that gets almost no votes, or have 5 or less purchases, or simply love to complain about everything that isn't their one favorite.

Count yourself in the line of so many great artists that this community has ragged on for daring to be talented and actually *gasp* make shirts folks want to wear.

(Almost like the old school forum trolls cloned themselves...)

humboof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humboof
Re: Steampunk Designer

cool. i love how you draw people. but the idea is wierd.

zackdela

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zackdela

Really like the graphic but the shirt color is off for my taste :D

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
jamescho84 wrote:Hah, sorry if I put you on the spot. I love your entry, slick illustration there. Love the old school bike and it's got my vote.

It's not so much about what steampunk is or isn't. Everytime I come on here, narcissistic slimebags are always on someones case. Must be fun to not contribute a god damn thing to this community or the contest and try to ruin peoples day. being able to voice your opinion on this site is a privilege. You certainly wouldn't say the kinds of Gigli (2003) you see here in front of the people you're bashing on. But the internet is what it is - playground for ball-less inbred walkie-talkies to feel a little bit better about their meaningless lives.

We missed you, Cho.

This site really does seem to attract a lot of trolls who haven't bought any items nor submitted any decent designs, but somehow feel vindicated to whine endlessly at anyone with actual talent.

I should make a list of the most "complained at" artists on this site, and a list of the artists who have earned the most prints/votes -- I would bet you it would be the same list.

darwooddvb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darwooddvb
Re: Darwinism

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed when I saw steampunk being the theme. I've seen a lot of good artwork and whatnot... but this is the only shirt I actually want. good jorb

SeraphSix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
ramyb wrote:Oh, and as a sidenote, don't tell me to wikipedia search steampunk. If you are going by wikipedia, it says "Since the 1990s, the application of the steampunk label has expanded beyond works set in recognizable historical periods (usually the 19th century) to works set in fantasy worlds that rely heavily on steam- or spring-powered technology," which negates 90% of the comments about why various things within the derby aren't steampunk.

I didn't accuse you of the other things you mentioned, but I did accuse you of not following the theme.
Expanded or not, this does not follow it.

Show us what a 21st-century mind can do with 19th-century machines.

I don't see a 19th century machine. I see an Anime robot with exhaust pipes on his back looking at a dog that doesn't fit in with the style.
I also see a design that looks identical in layout and presentation to one you have already made and is still for sale.

I'm complaining that it is unfair to other designers for you to potentially have two on-sale shirts with the same kind of design when this one isn't even that representative of the theme.

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
OnyxEyez wrote:*snip - How about some real vetting here woot? Isn't that the point of the theme?

Yes OnyzEyez it would be nice if Woot enforced some real standards. Above anything else, this Steampunk Derby has proven to me that I am totally naive. I feel like the themes are supposed to force some variety into this competition. I also believe that each week the Derby theme should challenge the artist to create something original and new. In my book an artists designs shouldn't be competitive if they are off theme or are being dishonest somehow. I know...I know...I'm a total girl scout.

Even despite my realization, I was hoping for some really hardcore Steampunk designs, or at least something Victorianish. I will never wear an anime shirt, a cutesy chibi animal, or some kind of shiny swirl design - its just not me. So, when two sometimes three places in the fog are anime I'm put off. As far as I'm concerned I should be one of the easiest people to please because I come into this competition every week hoping to buy shirts...I want to give Woot my money! It is pretty sorry state when the derby winners are so garish that even I, the girl with an online shopping addiction, won't buy them!

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Stormink wrote:I agree.

However, if you're argument is true, you make Woot out to be very stupid. (Which I have no problem with... especially with this derby as evidence.) The Drakxxx shirt was rejected incredibly quickly after it fell out of the fog. If they hold meetings for fogged entries I'd assume it is because they are reluctant to reject a design that has so much backing. Also, I'd assume they would be aware that the fogged entries fluctuate a lot, and that a design that has just fallen out of the fog might be back in in a couple of hours. So, I think it is safe to assume that they would hesitate and have to confer to remove Drakxxx's shirt because it had been fogged for a good amount of time and just barely slipped out.

Of course, maybe you are right and Woot is even dumber than I give them credit for and rejected it as soon as it wasn't in the "precious fog". But, I have to at least concede a tiny bit of common sense to them and say that they also discussed the rejection of the Drakxxx shirt.

Granted, I would have to see a concrete depiction to be sure, but methinks this might be right on the line for what's in and out of the printable area, in which case, the call isn't as simple as "That template isn't a color we offer."

Anyway, that resub is making a meteoric rise, so things should be fine soon...

Maybe instead of favoritism, maybe it's the other way around. Are they waiting to pull the trigger so it can't be resubbed in time to garner its support back WITHOUT the support being alt accounts...hrmm...now THAT would be fun to see.

Yes, my foil hat is quite lovely...but since everyone else seems to be wearing one, I prefer my conspiracy theories to lean more toward insane and unfounded as opposed to plausible and unfounded.

HeartlineTwist

Re: The Aviator

Does it make any difference to you all that the wings are clearly not feathers? This isn't Icarus Penguin with steampunk-ish goggles. Based on my interpretation, which is based on the fact of how sharp and rigid those "feathers" look, the feathers are metallic, and if this design were in full color, I would imagine some sort of brass-ish.

Although I may be totally off base.

theboywil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theboywil
Re: Otter of My Eye

This is beautiful... I really really hope that this gets a printing....

HeartlineTwist

Moondragon wrote:I didn't say "I don't know what it is, so I don't care." I looked into what's called steam punk on the internet, and it resonated with me about as much as dissecting subcategories of metal music. Because the theme didn't mean as much to me as, say, the Art Deco theme, it didn't factor into whether or not I liked something. Last time I checked, the vote button said, "I'D WANT ONE" not "I think this best portrays the theme."

I understand the purist viewpoint. If this were a site voting on music, I'd be much more likely to side with the must-be-on-theme-the-way-I-see-it crowd. I guess the fact that I don't take t-shirts that seriously (and that I've only submitted once for almost instant rejection) makes it easy for me to vote based solely on personal wearability.

The problem with this notion is that, you're right, that's what the vote button says, but it negates having a theme in the first place if things that aren't really on theme are allowed to stay in the contest. It'd be like having an Apple Pie Contest and letting a cherry pie that has maybe a sliver of an apple in it slip by.

Hell, Seki, I'll say this: If the wolf was completely mechanical, this wouldn't be an issue at all. I'm aware that steampunk designs can involve cyborg-ish elements and still be full steampunk, but the problem with yours is that it doesn't read cyborg. It reads armored wolf with steam coming out of it. And, unfortunately, I don't think the lineart was really on theme that much more.

But, this bickering doesn't really matter. I'll buy everything that prints this week if THIS gets knocked out of the fog via rejection.

HeartlineTwist

davengvar wrote:I've never been a fan of chaos designs like this one and I don't really think it fits the theme. Just because the style has Victorian elements and there are machines involved doesn't mean it's steampunk.

There is maybe a design or two other than this one that is a better fit for steampunk.

Gear+steam obviously isn't steampunk, but mechanisms+Victorian garb+steam+everything else this design has going for it is definitely closer, if not a bulls-eye for steampunk.

What, specifically, doesn't make this steampunk? What is steampunk to you? What would have to be done to this design to make it steampunk in your eyes?

ste7enl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages ste7enl
IamIreland wrote:1600? Hmmm... well-designed, and, aside from the uncomfortable goggles, I'm in favor of your choice to incorporate more wood!

~J

the 1600 is just in reference to MI6, but as if it were in the 1600's..titles aren't hugely important to me though

HeartlineTwist

Feeferscat wrote:Concur fully, Copyright is not an issue given Woot would be fully protected by fair use: Parody clause.

Ehhh, it's an alright shirt not one i'd personally have voted or bought but still that rejection reason behind this is really weak.

You get into some grey area here, but this isn't really parody.

Parody: a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing

Yes, I realize there is a definition of parody that means "poor semblance," but I'm pretty sure that's not the definition used in copyright law.

There isn't really humor or satire here, to be honest. I'd bring down the Parody hammer to stave off copyright claims, but there isn't much to do here.

This doesn't really make a statement about the Gameboy or those who play it or society or anything.

It's just "Hey, look how cool a Gameboy would look if it's mechanical."

Granted, I love it AND would buy it, but I understand the copyright concern.

HeartlineTwist

fatalGRACE wrote:How is it that such a relevant and extraordinarily well made shirt gets rejected, while random, in some cases awkwardly drawn (penguin and dog), and completely irrelevant to the theme, shirts are allowed to remain in the fof?

Because an incorrect color template is a lot easier to strike down than a pretty broad and subjective theme that's covered LOTS of things and topic areas?

redskull11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redskull11
HeartlineTwist wrote:There is maybe a design or two other than this one that is a better fit for steampunk.

Gear+steam obviously isn't steampunk, but mechanisms+Victorian garb+steam+everything else this design has going for it is definitely closer, if not a bulls-eye for steampunk.

What, specifically, doesn't make this steampunk? What is steampunk to you? What would have to be done to this design to make it steampunk in your eyes?

A googly eyed dog obviously.

justineka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justineka
HeartlineTwist wrote:The problem with this notion is that, you're right, that's what the vote button says, but it negates having a theme in the first place if things that aren't really on theme are allowed to stay in the contest. It'd be like having an Apple Pie Contest and letting a cherry pie that has maybe a sliver of an apple in it slip by.

Case in point: this is how my boyfriend beat me in an apple pie-off by making a strawberry-rhubarb pie with a tiny slice of apple on top. The wounds of this defeat are still raw.

modchen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modchen
Diyako wrote:this is my first comment ever but this shirt needs to be printed guys. vote!

my first comment, as well.

i run three steampunk networks and am reasonably-well-connected in the community.

your research shows. the color is creative and fresh - i would have liked to see a cream color or a light beige for summer, but that's enlightened self-interest talking - and anyone who looks at this, doesn't see your standard tubes, gears, cogs, and pipes, and sniffs, "this isn't steampunk," (a) is sadly bankrupt in imaginative faculty, and (b) needs to be reminded that nobody died and made them the arbiter of what is and isn't steamy.

that said, -i- think it is, and i know what the PTERODACTYLS! i'm talking about. good work. got my vote.